Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Paid Tournaments Ending

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

A short post on the Guild Wars 2 site indicates that paid PvP tournaments will be replaced with free ones with the February 26th patch. Free tournaments will come in both one and three round flavors.

One of the reasons we initially introduced Paid Tournaments was to create a place for hyper-competitive, highly skilled players to find matches with other players of comparable skill, leaving the Free Tournament system available for more casual competitive play. However, now that we have a ratings and matchmaking system in-place that matches players of similar skill levels, we’ve decided that the ticket cost barrier-to-entry of Paid Tournaments is no longer necessary.

Read more on the Guild Wars 2 site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    great news:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    if you can read between the lines they are basicly saying: we fucked up and paid tournaments whas the worst idea we ever introduced. So were taking it out again because noone played it and all hated that idea.
  • QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

"One of the reasons we initially introduced Paid Tournaments was to create a place for hyper-competitive"

Well their pvp playerbase left b/c ANet has been ignoring spvp since release so even they found out they won't be earning any money out of those 20 players. As much as I like GW2, spvp has been completely mishandled by them and imo it is beyond salvation.

Originally posted by QSatu

"One of the reasons we initially introduced Paid Tournaments was to create a place for hyper-competitive"

Well their pvp playerbase left b/c ANet has been ignoring spvp since release so even they found out they won't be earning any money out of those 20 players. As much as I like GW2, spvp has been completely mishandled by them and imo it is beyond salvation.

wouldn't say that just needs more map styles and some more incentives to get people back in.. the gameplay is fun enough they just need the variety which is severly lacking(which is a bit odd since gw1 had lots of modes) think they just tried to do to much at once

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    yep. ''We expected MORE players doing spvp but sadly, we were wrong.'' in other words

and they thought that giving new spvp maps will make magicaly everyone do spvp xD maps arent the problem
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

wouldn't say that just needs more map styles and some more incentives to get people back in.. the gameplay is fun enough they just need the variety which is severly lacking(which is a bit odd since gw1 had lots of modes) think they just tried to do to much at once

The problem is that they need to pay for bandwith. They want just to maximize profits. I bet we get everything what gw1 had in a expansion. thats how they make money. sPvP is boring  in Gw2.

Originally posted by exile01
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

The problem is that they need to pay for bandwith. They want just to maximize profits. I bet we get everything what gw1 had in a expansion. thats how they make money. sPvP is boring  in Gw2.

how so? they hardly have added anything into the CS since launch.. if they were just trying to rake in the dough why not flesh out the CS and give people a reason to want ot actually buy stuff? I honestly can't find anything worth spending cash on in the CS aside from more bag space... anyway I found sPVP a ton of fun it just has no lasting appeal as it has no variety

been leveling my mesmer so haven't done any sPVP in awhile but figure id stop in to see how it was really doing.. seems to still be doing just fine still... still hope they flesh it out a lot more than it is.. 

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/3326/gw028mo.jpg

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Not too much of a shocker, was just a blatent cash grab that anyone could spot from a mile away. At least they acknowledged it and took it out, assuming it not doing well in terms of getting players involved in numbers they liked.  Maybe it might spark an actual good competative ranking system instead?
  • RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

That's what you get when a developer aims for too wide an audience. You can't have a small live team dedicated to pleasing PvE, PvP and WvW players all at once. I think it is fair to say that all patches to date were very PvE focussed, ignoring PvP and WvW. Atleast sPvP is getting one new map and a (sort of) new game mode next patch, which isn't a lot if you consider that it is all they get since launch.

WvW on the other hand has received no content since launch, infact, they even removed a core mechanic (orbs) because they couldn't be bothered to balance it and prevent cheaters from messing with them.

GW2, sadly, is a PvE focussed game with sPvP and WvW added as afterthoughts, and not their main cash cows. I wish that was different.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Geez they admit they made a mistake and fix it and all the haters on here bash them for it. If this was any other game becoming more accessible you would be applauding.
  • DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Geez they admit they made a mistake and fix it and all the haters on here bash them for it. If this was any other game becoming more accessible you would be applauding.

this,

it's a good change, nuff said

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186
    Funny how GW2 was promoted as "The PvP MMORPG" and the sPvP & "RvR" both end up badly and the only thing that keeps the game popular is PvE :j
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow
    Funny how GW2 was promoted as "The PvP MMORPG" and the sPvP & "RvR" both end up badly and the only thing that keeps the game popular is PvE :j

Not sure how RvR ended badly, there are still 3 hour queues every night on Sea of Sorrows.

Joining sPvP is always instant too.

PvP is the only thing I play this game for anymore, much like I used to play GW1 for PvP, this is now my go to game for balanced and fun PvP matches.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

GW2 was never promoted as PVP game

GW1 was promoted as PVP game

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,854

Originally posted by evilastro
    No, any other game would also be ridiculed for trying and failing to screw over the players by making us pay for a feature that was entirely neglected.
  • DiemosDiemos Member Posts: 129
    Honestly, you really didn't have to pay for paid tournament to begin with, if you did SPvP enough. I've been doing it since it was available and haven't paid for any tickets and still have over 70.

[PvX]Tempest - Check us out

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,869
    Originally posted by Diemos
    Honestly, you really didn't have to pay for paid tournament to begin with, if you did SPvP enough. I've been doing it since it was available and haven't paid for any tickets and still have over 70.

Yep. The main news here is that they are now giving people a more competitive field to play in with matchmaking so they don't need to seperate the people who play sPvP into two different groups. People who claim that they were just trying to force people to spend money for competitive play are highly ignorant. If you were the type of player who did paid tournaments chances are that you had tons of tickets lying around. Not to mention that you could win gems from paid tournaments. 

Anyone who thinks that ArenaNet is trying to force people to use the cash shop in any way doesn't know anything about the game and is just hating to hate. Nothing they have done proves this. They have been actively discouraging people to use the cash shop through the actions they have taken since launch. No more RNG holiday chest gambling money grabs. In wintersday you could get all the skins except a few by just playing, and the few that you could only get in the cash shop you could straight up buy with gems rather then gamble at a cheap price. They added boosters as a reward you can purchase with daily/ monthly rewards  as well. 

Most people who have complaints about the cash shop at this point are actually complaining that they don't have enough stuff on it worth buying. I would say thats a pretty great complaint to have. 

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

After this update, I'll definitely be having more fun in PvP. Right now I just ignore Frees because I find them unchallenging or unbalanced and I can't join Paids because every team I join has some issues with personalities and personal lives. So really, this change will definitely make my solo playing more funsies.

And to the guys saying they made a mistake. Well, they actually didn't make a mistake, they made a decision based on what they had created earlier which was a paid tournament to seperate the pros from the joe shmoes. Now, they've added a matchmaking system that makes the reason thay added paids obsolete. If they wanted to, they could just not remove paids and just have it there so they can make this "proverbial money" you guys keep talking about, but they removed it and I think they derserve praise rather than "shoulda been done sooner you derps".

This is not a game.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by exile01
    if you can read between the lines they are basicly saying: we fucked up and paid tournaments whas the worst idea we ever introduced. So were taking it out again because noone played it and all hated that idea.

brave enough to accept it ^^ even better news : )