Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hypocrisy of faction pride in TESO

Comments

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I remember in WoW I took a level 10 or 11 orc hunter all the way to Teldrassil to tame the white owls there. I think it was as soon as I got the skill to tame.Forgive me if I got the level wrong. I died like a gazzillion times but boy was it an adventure. I remember coming across some night elf players who all came to stare at me. I am sure they were saying stuff in general I was not privy too but it was such an adventure. I did the same with an elf hunter who I took to Durator to get the tigery looking cat. It was what you feel while on an adventure , strange lands hostile mobs that will kick your ass so bad as look at you. I was dead like in one hit but the adrenaline was pumping. I think that was one of the best experiences in WoW. So yes exploring is a pretty amazing experience especially one thwart with danger and death with every step.
    Chamber of Chains
  • MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by evilastro

Dumbest thing I have read for a while. Oh hai guys! We are at war, but not here. Lets be friends!

Yeah no, talk about immersion breaking. The game is about the factional warfare of 3 factions, letting players enter each others areas just ruins the immersion and cheapens the game.

But that is the lore the game is using. The factions have all agreed to keep the fight within the borders of Cyrodil. Immersion breaking? SURE IS!

These are all distinctive races, if Africa was at war with Japan, I am pretty sure they would know what the opposite faction looks like. Just saying. Its kinda hard to disguise the fact that you are a lizard person or a cat person.

Tough, whether you like it or not, everyone is involved in the war. Feel free to play Skyrim or another ESO game which isnt in this realm vs realm setting.

Do ALL africans live in Africa, ALL Japanese in Japan?

Nope, this is again is immuersion breaking and totally artifical and uneccessary. If they hadn't locked races to factions it wouldn't be a problem.

Not in the sense that you want to. Walking around freely and exploring. The point is that you arent going to be 'invading' a country, you just want to waltz in by yourself or with a small group. Which is pretty dumb considering there is a war going on.

The war is ONLY taking place in Cyrodil. Designers reason for why no PvP outside Cyrodil. Immersion breaking - sure. Totally uneccessary - sure.

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272

Mael,

by the way dude... in Skyrim the Empire is not "at war with the nords". There is no war between the Empire and Skyrim. The "war" is the Empire vs a tiny little silly faction called "The Stormcloaks" which, if you did play the game to its fullest, you'd see that they're NO WAY supported by most of the nords.

Even when you start the game you'll hear that guy from Riverwood say "Skyrim has always been part of the empire and the empire was always good for Skyrim" - this doesnt sound like a "war" now does it?

Originally posted by Crazyhorsek

Mael,

by the way dude... in Skyrim the Empire is not "at war with the nords". There is no war between the Empire and Skyrim. The "war" is the Empire vs a tiny little silly faction called "The Stormcloaks" which, if you did play the game to its fullest, you'd see that they're NO WAY supported by most of the nords.

Even when you start the game you'll hear that guy from Riverwood say "Skyrim has always been part of the empire and the empire was always good for Skyrim" - this doesnt sound like a "war" now does it?

Shock horror!

You mean not ALL Nords got involved?

You mean the fight between the Imperials was with a SUBSET of the Nord race called the stormcloaks?

Don't you see the problem with the design of TESO?

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Mael,

the stormcloak vs empire wasnt even an integral part of the game, getting involved was purely voluntary, and you could choose whatever side you wanted, regardless of race, or just ignore it completely, tbh, i have no idea how it ended because i have yet to even stick to the storylines in the game image

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

Mael,

Shock horror!

You mean the fight between the Imperials was with a SUBSET of the Nord race called the stormcloaks?

The only problem I can see is people who want a multiplayer Skyrim mod rather than a MMO.

• jedensuscgjedensuscg Member Posts: 209
    Originally posted by evilastro

Dumbest thing I have read for a while. Oh hai guys! We are at war, but not here. Lets be friends!

Yeah no, talk about immersion breaking. The game is about the factional warfare of 3 factions, letting players enter each others areas just ruins the immersion and cheapens the game.

But that is the lore the game is using. The factions have all agreed to keep the fight within the borders of Cyrodil. Immersion breaking? SURE IS!

These are all distinctive races, if Africa was at war with Japan, I am pretty sure they would know what the opposite faction looks like. Just saying. Its kinda hard to disguise the fact that you are a lizard person or a cat person.

Tough, whether you like it or not, everyone is involved in the war. Feel free to play Skyrim or another ESO game which isnt in this realm vs realm setting.

Do ALL africans live in Africa, ALL Japanese in Japan?

Nope, this is again is immuersion breaking and totally artifical and uneccessary. If they hadn't locked races to factions it wouldn't be a problem.

Not in the sense that you want to. Walking around freely and exploring. The point is that you arent going to be 'invading' a country, you just want to waltz in by yourself or with a small group. Which is pretty dumb considering there is a war going on.

The war is ONLY taking place in Cyrodil. Designers reason for why no PvP outside Cyrodil. Immersion breaking - sure. Totally uneccessary - sure.

Us people that can use more then 1/1000 of our brain understand where your coming from.  Some people are just so stuck on this idea that the game is RvRvR so things must be a certain way.

What they fail to understand really, is the since RvRvR takes away so much from what it means to be Elder Scrolls, they never should have even tried to make an RvRvR game!

People are stuck thinking "But they are making an RvRvR game, so they have to have all these factions locks.  Who cares of  TES is about freedom, you can't have freedom in an RvRvR game!"

What the fans of TES are thinking is "Why the hell are you making an RvRvR game knowing that to do so, you have to remove the identy and spirit of TES to make it work?  Should you not be making a grand scale PvE game first, then using optional factions players can join, create a balanced PvP system within the PvE game?"

You see, THAT would be an Elder Scrolls game.  

What really happend was not that the developers wanted to make an Elder Scrolls RvRvR game,  but that they wanted to make DAoC 2 and decided calling it Elder Scrolls would sell a shit ton of copies based off it's name alone.

Mael,

Shock horror!

Well... different ages, different settings.

My country always fought back the countries that border it - today we're allies in NATO and part of a failure called "European Union"... but like I said, we fought eachother for millenia, the last century alone we had 2 world wars that started in Europe and placed us fighting eachother again - so Europe only has been at peace for 70 years.

Whats your point? You mean that EU peace is against the EU Lore? or Nato goes against the "Lore"?

lol... dude things change with the times...

Originally posted by Phry

the stormcloak vs empire wasnt even an integral part of the game, getting involved was purely voluntary, and you could choose whatever side you wanted, regardless of race, or just ignore it completely, tbh, i have no idea how it ended because i have yet to even stick to the storylines in the game image

I sided with the Storkcloaks and eventually you put Ulfric on the throne to rule Skyrim (I think, did it a long time ago and yes it was a small part of the game).

HEAD <----> BRICK WALL
  • jedensuscgjedensuscg Member Posts: 209

Mael,

Shock horror!

My country always fought back the countries that border it - today we're allies in NATO and part of a failure called "European Union"... but like I said, we fought eachother for millenia, the last century alone we had 2 world wars that started in Europe and placed us fighting eachother again - so Europe only has been at peace for 70 years.

Whats your point? You mean that EU peace is against the EU Lore? or Nato goes against the "Lore"?

Ok lets just remove the war and PvP aspect all together and look at it this way.

All the TES games comibined span several centuries if I am not mistaken, yet they all have one thing in common, no matter what is happening in the world, wars, crisis, racial injustice, the player has freedom over their own fate.

Now TESO comes along, it has crisis and things going on, just like all the other ES games, yet in order to make the game fit into their need of an RvRvR game, they removed that commonality between all other TES games and took away that freedom and forced you into a conflict.  Saying that because you are this race you must hate and war with these other races is like saying you can't think for yourself.

Most people against how the game is developing are not against changes in politics or racial borders, or PvP. They are against that fact that rather then fitting this PvP and conflict into a game that allows the freedom of choice that is a staple of the IP, they are in stead removing this freedom and trying to cram what is left of TES spirit into the PvP game they wanted to make.

Just because counties or factions war, does not mean everyone in that faction is going to agree.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Mael,

Shock horror!

as ESO totally ignores TES lore, then yes, i do see that as being a design problem, or fault. Its the old forcing a square peg through a round hole problem, you can do it, but only by cutting off all the corners, and ESO sure has a lot of corners missing. One of the biggest problems with faction locking, beside the obvious invisible walls seperating faction areas, is the way the various races are 'shoe-horned' into these factions without any due regard for how the racial lore even meshes, which mostly, it doesnt, or those that do have some kind of compatability, are suddenly complete enemies, probably because having them as allies wouldnt make geographical sense, at least within the context of a DAoC 2 scenario anyway.  Whichever way you try to look at it, its just dumb.image

Originally posted by jedensuscg

Mael,

Shock horror!

Ok lets just remove the war and PvP aspect all together and look at it this way.

All the TES games comibined span several centuries if I am not mistaken, yet they all have one thing in common, no matter what is happening in the world, wars, crisis, racial injustice, the player has freedom over their own fate.

Now TESO comes along, it has crisis and things going on, just like all the other ES games, yet in order to make the game fit into their need of an RvRvR game, they removed that commonality between all other TES games and took away that freedom and forced you into a conflict.  Saying that because you are this race you must hate and war with these other races is like saying you can't think for yourself.

Most people against how the game is developing are not against changes in politics or racial borders, or PvP. They are against that fact that rather then fitting this PvP and conflict into a game that allows the freedom of choice that is a staple of the IP, they are in stead removing this freedom and trying to cram what is left of TES spirit into the PvP game they wanted to make.

Just because counties or factions war, does not mean everyone in that faction is going to agree.

Of course not. Thats why if you want to stay behind your walls and only do PvE you can do so and never have to look at the opposite faction's faces if you dont want to.

But you'll still feel the war in your homeland though NPCs and PVE. If your country go to war, even if you dont agree with it or if you choose not to join, still you'll feel it even behind your borders. Thats the objective here.

And you'll always have traitors, pockets of resistance and more stuff that cant keep you away from that war. You see... you may not want it, or you may even disagree with it, but if your country goes into war, you're plunged into it also like it or not. You personally dont "have" to hate anyone, but... you'be part of something larger that the "other side" hates. So... may as well do your thing for your country and... well... hate back lol - DO YOUR PART :)

Of course not. Thats why if you want to stay behind your walls and only do PvE you can do so and never have to look at the opposite faction's faces if you dont want to.

The problem is, we do want to but can't.

And the really, really annoying thing for me....I bet there are NPC's of other factions in our lands that we cannot kill.

But you'll still feel the war in your homeland though NPCs and PVE. If your country go to war, even if you dont agree with it or if you choose not to join, still you'll feel it even behind your borders. Thats the objective here.

That 100% loyalty supporting a war held in a far off land sure worked out good the America during the fighting in Vietnam! 

And you'll always have traitors, pockets of resistance and more stuff that cant keep you away from that war.

Except we can't do any of it in return. Who are the traiters, the resistance or any of the other stuff...not us!

You see... you may not want it, or you may even disagree with it, but if your country goes into war, you're plunged into it also like it or not. You personally dont "have" to hate anyone, but... you'be part of something larger that the "other side" hates. So... may as well do your thing for your country and... well... hate back lol - DO YOUR PART :)

You are not 'doing your part' if you don't have a choice!

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

Role alts, and you can see everything

well i wouldnt be an invester to this kind of develpoer who says this ... and its sad cause they have awesome lore and from the video i saw for the "thnx 1million" there are so many good people, its so sad these guys to make these decisions and build so awfull game experience ...

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Imo the biggest problem of this factional divide is the amount of content they have to produce. It means they basically have to design 3 different ways for people to lvl up and 3 times more landmass. I have my doubts even with their deep pockets will be able to do enough so players will feel like the game is big enough and has enough content.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by jedensuscg

All the single player games minus Skyrim happen during or right after the death of Uriel Septims VII. It's the same Empire, same political landscape, same everything. And in all those games you end up as an agent of the Empire as well (direct in Daggerfall and Morrowind, by circumstances in Arena and Oblivion).

Skyrim is about 200 years later and I really doubt that the Thalmor let everybody walk around Alinor as they please, but you could only travel around Skyrim which was still mostly civilized (except for the Reachmen). Also, once you joined the Imperial or Stormcloaks you became an enemy of the other side.

If Skyrim was an MMO, you would have had to join the Imperial or Stormcloaks at the start of the game and it would have had Open PvP everywhere.

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by azarhal

If Skyrim was an MMO, you would have had to join the Imperial or Stormcloaks at the start of the game and it would have had Open PvP everywhere.

That is a crazy assumption.  Other MMOs have had a neutral faction system in which you would join one later (if ever).   If Skyrim was a MMO and made by Todd Howard then forced faction locks would never happen.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Think about a zone thats designed for your faction. Every quest, story and dungeon designed around the lore and the war you are in. Each NPC is effected by tbis war. From the worried mother that gives you a quest to find her son that did not come back from a battle. To the orphan you help who lost her family in a dark elf attack. 

Make the zones generic and for all factions the impact of faction pride is not as great. I get we lose the abilty to see all areas on one char but we gain a lot more in story and quests that will drive faction pride. I will be happy seeing 1/3 of the factions maps but when I played DAoC it never bugged me I didnt see it all, as this is a MMO and the scope of that means you never really do.

• BlueTiger33BlueTiger33 Member Posts: 158
    Thanks to the OP I see a lot of replay-ability in this game...sounds pretty cool to me.

I will never support freeloaders, no more subsidized gaming.
    My Blog
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by sapphen

That is a crazy assumption.  Other MMOs have had a neutral faction system in which you would join one later (if ever).   If Skyrim was a MMO and made by Todd Howard then forced faction locks would never happen.

Now talk about assumptions. It's clear that Todd Howard doesn't do MMOs...

Originally posted by sapphen

Now talk about assumptions. It's clear that Todd Howard doesn't do MMOs...

It's also clear that Skyrim is not a MMO.

Please explain why you think that is a neccessity.

What mechanic is forcing this faction choice option to be unavailable in an MMO?

Because I cannot think of any reason why, if you were to try and faithfully move the Skyrim over to an MMO environment, you woul dneed to suddenly remove the choice from the player.

So what mechanic, system limitation or other fly in the ointment do you think is unsurmountable when considering the design of an MMO?

• FindarielFindariel Member UncommonPosts: 222

I don't see any problems with the chosen system.

Like most people, I will have a main character with my guild and roll alts to discover the other lands and perhaps learn the faction specific classes and skills. Which doesn't mean I won't feel most attached to my main and her specific faction and guild.

Originally posted by Findariel

I don't see any problems with the chosen system.

Like most people, I will have a main character with my guild and roll alts to discover the other lands and perhaps learn the faction specific classes and skills. Which doesn't mean I won't feel most attached to my main and her specific faction and guild.

I guess in a lot of ways I'm too attached to the Elder Scrolls franchise.  I've dreamed about a TES MMO since Oblivion and I probably had too many expectations on how it would turn out.  Out of fairness, many of my expectations aligned with the previous games but if I was not a fan of TES (and annoyed by the generality of modern MMOs) then I probably wouldn't have a problem with the chosen systems.  From a design point they are really not that bad ~ I just don't think they apply to TES.