Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Forum rules update - [mod edit]

Comments

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by ignore_me
    Originally posted by Eluldor
    "Forum rules update - Can't bash SWTOR or your history" I thought this was going to be about how they release your history to everyone, if you bash the game. However, it is a completely lame thread that should have said "you're history". Could of been so much more entertaining :D

Wow, did you really think that? That they would take the time to do that when they don't respond to anything on the forums except to moderate rules? lol.

/continue thread

Hey! Going that route would have brought back all sorts of attention to this game :)

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    From their standpoint they are trying to promote a game that is weak, and will continue to be that way. I don't think I would want people using those forums to tell the truth either if I were Bioware. The people still playing that game don't care about the features they don't have or they wouldn't be on SWTOR still. Bioware cares even less about those features so it makes sense to me that they just crank up the filter to remove reality from the forums.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• LaromussLaromuss Member UncommonPosts: 331
    From their standpoint they are trying to promote a game that is weak, and will continue to be that way. I don't think I would want people using those forums to tell the truth either if I were Bioware. The people still playing that game don't care about the features they don't have or they wouldn't be on SWTOR still. Bioware cares even less about those features so it makes sense to me that they just crank up the filter to remove reality from the forums.

At this rate they should just close the forums, whats the point of having forums if player's can't even express their opinions?  Especially if they're (Bioware/Ea) the ones who deem what is constructive or not, its a bit on the biased side on very subjective topics.   

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    Originally posted by Laross

At this rate they should just close the forums, whats the point of having forums if player's can't even express their opinions?  Especially if they're (Bioware/Ea) the ones who deem what is constructive or not, its a bit on the biased side on very subjective topics.   

To be honest, the forums are pretty much dead. The front page barely changes for days on end. My guess is that as the subscriber population dwindles, the effect becomes exponential, since the remaining smaller number of subscribers is easier to police and "Moderate".

Just for tits and giggles, I'll say again, the latest (3rd) I think senior community manager, who controls the forum, just parted ways with Bioware.

• william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251

Even though I think the game is garbage(and quit when my free time was up) I think those rules are awesome. I wish every game forum had them.

1. Long list of gripes with few specific details and little useful feedback-

Good rule, I hate "this game is going to fail because it sucks"-that helps. Plus people make their stupid list of the million things wrong with the game, and they are usually stupid as hell. There was a thread on swtor before the game came out about how the game would fail if there wasn't swimming...

2. Threads that bash the game-

No brainer. Why would a "buisness" want something on the site where they are essentially advertising their game like "This game sucks, guild wars 2 is so much better". I agree lol, but I'd be annoyed if  GW2 threads, if there were "GW2 sucks, SWTOR is better". It's a pointless thread. Do people in real life go to tennis courts to tell tennis players that tennis is weak, that they are a bunch of pansy's and they should have played football.

3. Threads about quitting the game-

Thank god. I quit threads are like reading a suicide notes. So dramatic. The worst part, two months later, that "Woe is me, I'm gone forever" drama filled turd is back and commenting about fixing something, or why he doesn't like something. You said you where gone, than be gone, for good. Plus, these pricks, never ever, give away their stuff. The first post in every one of these threads is "can I have your stuff" and they never give it up. Greedy aholes.

4. Call out's towards specific developers-

Cmon, this is a no brainer. There were "I'm glad Erickson or x bioware developer got fired" threads. That's just f'd up. It's funny too, cause D Erickson hated everything I love about star wars games(space combat), and loved everything I hate about games(stupid voice over), and still, I'm not screaming "I'm glad you got fired" That's just little kid crap right there(don't get me wrong, I'm glad when developers that I disagree with get replaced sometimes, but I never celebrate publically.

5. Haters vs Fanboys

wouldn't everyone be happier if these people weren't around sometimes lol

The funniest thing about this, I just went back to swtor.com and it really doesn't look like any of these are being enforced. It must be for extremely radical or incindiary threads. Oh, and I can't post there because I'm not a subscriber(that's a little cheap, but makes sense I suppose, probably helps with these rules, not allowing people who don't play to post)

If you change the context, what you're supporting is essentially fascism. Not that that is all bad. Better uniforms.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Ppiper
    their forums, their rules. Simple solution, don't visit there.

Yep, SoE does exactly the same thing, its why EQ2Flames was created. If you want unbiased discussion about a game you will need to go to a 3rd party forum.

Pretty much all you will get away with calling out on official forums is bugs / glitches.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    I'll give until the end of 2013 before EA pulls the plug on the servers.
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    Originally posted by tiefighter25
    If you change the context, what you're supporting is essentially fascism. Not that that is all bad. Better uniforms.

[mod edit]

Although what you say has merit, it is intresting to note certain trends in society wherever they might crop up.

Perhaps this is why I find SWTOR fascinating, perhaps overly so. It is represenative of many trends in both MMOs, the gaming industry in general, and the corporte world as a whole.

The political analogy was just for expediency. I'm not so much obsessed as a tad unhealthly attentive.

That said, I won't lose sleep or wind up in the Bell Tower if ToR either becomes a hit or shuts down.

it's more akin to following a sports franchise; a lot of sound and fury but just a fun pasttime at the end of the day and this is a great place to discuss these topics with other interested people, pro and con.

A little civility rarely hurts anything though.

• PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239
    I say people are lucky they even have a forum..Who knows maybe in the near future all there be is a wiki and support page and MMORPG Forum..image

I retired retroactively..Haha

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by Gravarg

I can't blame them.  If I ran the forums, I'd do the same.  Going on forums and just with a  simple post of  "This game sucks, stay away, nothing works right!"  doesn't do anything.  Unless you're going to get specific in what you don't like, and offer a solution, keep it to yourself...  I've posted many times on this site, not liking something about a game, or a game as a whole, but I almost always post with it what I would've liked to see them do or have done.

Edit: It's not against the rules to suggest something to be changed, just only if you're going to "bash" it.

Why is it the poster's responsibility to put forth a solution to any specific problems they bring forth?  Are they getting paid for it?  Whose job is it and how do they find out about these issues?  Customer complaints has been the very foundation of how businesses improve themselves or they lose business or even worse, go out of business.  Why should it be any different with gaming?  Why are so many gamers so quick to defend companies that are either lazy or put forth sub-standard products?  I truly don't understand it and I certainly don't subscribe to it either.

Er, you are talking about EA, one of the most hated names in the gaming industry, yet, somehow they remain profitable and a dominate force.  Maybe they don't see the rules the same way you do, as long as people keep buying their titles, what do they care what the "lunatic fringe" thinks about them?

People here aren't defending them for being lazy or having substandard products, they are defending the companies right to run the forums they pay for their way, and moderate anything they feel like.

Come to a more public forum like this one if you want some extra freedom, but even here you won't find unrestricted access.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Fascism in government = bad

Fascism on a private company's forum = who cares

I've been modded for it before, but I'll say it again. Karteli's crusade against TOR has hit the bottom of the barrel. Let it go, dude. This obsession is not healthy.

Although what you say has merit, it is intresting to note certain trends in society wherever they might crop up.

Perhaps this is why I find SWTOR fascinating, perhaps overly so. It is represenative of many trends in both MMOs, the gaming industry in general, and the corporte world as a whole.

The political analogy was just for expediency. I'm not so much obsessed as a tad unhealthly attentive.

That said, I won't lose sleep or wind up in the Bell Tower if ToR either becomes a hit or shuts down.

it's more akin to following a sports franchise; a lot of sound and fury but just a fun pasttime at the end of the day and this is a great place to discuss these topics with other interested people, pro and con.

A little civility rarely hurts anything though.

Apologies, the second part was aimed sqarely at the OP, not you. I couldn't be bothered to make it a separate post.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    EA still can't beat the way Anet police their forums. I feel more comfortable on SWTOR forums than GW2.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• huskie77huskie77 Member Posts: 354

Try walking into any business and loudly complaining about that business or it's employees. You will be asked to quiet down and/or leave. If you don't the police will be called for harrassment and tresspassing(in the US). Do you know why?

Businesses are private entities that have the right to protect themselves and their interests. Take your complaints to specific complaint forums or become a journalist/blogger.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    Originally posted by huskie77

Try walking into any business and loudly complaining about that business or it's employees. You will be asked to quiet down and/or leave. If you don't the police will be called for harrassment and tresspassing(in the US). Do you know why?

Businesses are private entities that have the right to protect themselves and their interests. Take your complaints to specific complaint forums or become a journalist/blogger.

This is ridiculous. Most likely they will try to buy your silence. You have the right to free speech in America. If I am upset with a company that took my money then I have every right to voice my concerns. They have to worry about their public image as well. If they have an upset customer arrested in front of the other customers what do you think that will do for their image? 

[mod edit]

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

No, You don't have a right to free speech on private property(a business) or on a private forum(you had to sign up to use it). Your freedom of speech is limited to public space and the privacy of your own home. Study your rights more closely and lobby to have them changed if you are unhappy.

• SasamiSasami Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by TruthXHurts

This is ridiculous. Most likely they will try to buy your silence. You have the right to free speech in America. If I am upset with a company that took my money then I have every right to voice my concerns. They have to worry about their public image as well. If they have an upset customer arrested in front of the other customers what do you think that will do for their image? 

[mod edit]

You might have right outside there property, but if you are inside there place they have all rights to kick you out. Just like protestors can protest outside companies but not inside. Yes McDonalds might give you ice cream if you call there food bad, but most restaurants will just kick you out unless you stop it.

The company does accept complaints, suggestions and constructive criticism and has specific threads for it. What they don't allow is for every yahoo to jam up the forums with hundreds of threads that essentially all say the same thing. McDonalds also won't let you enter their store holding signs complaining about them but they are happy to have you fill out a customer service questionaire and suggestion form.

I know it can seem unfair, but I assure you that there is a reason that systems like these are in place.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Snoepie
    [mod edit]

Posting your displeasure is welcome but whining, threats, abusive and rude language isn't.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

The company does accept complaints, suggestions and constructive criticism and has specific threads for it. What they don't allow is for every yahoo to jam up the forums with hundreds of threads that essentially all say the same thing. McDonalds also won't let you enter their store holding signs complaining about them but they are happy to have you fill out a customer service questionaire and suggestion form.

I know it can seem unfair, but I assure you that there is a reason that systems like these are in place.

+1

Cry me a river OP.There have been plenty of constructive threads on the forums that deal with issues with the game. The most recent ones dealt with the Gree Event. You're just not allowed to be a rampant child who kicks and screams for everyone's undivided attention by posting the same garbage day in and day out. They'e trying to actually have real discussions about issues with the game, not a bunch of whines and tantrums. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Rules are rules, but the main point the OP is getting at is the fact that they removed these rules due to backlash, and there is an unstickied closed thread, lost throughout the forums somewhere, so the rules are not in plain sight.

The people that are allowed to post are the people paying a sub, so if there is a lot of negativity going on still, then does not show many enjoying the game, and will probably not be able to post within a month!

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

I don't understand.  How is this different then ANY OTHER GAME FORUM OUT?

Even this forum suspends/warns/bans people for these things.

Why is it so much worse for Bioware/EA to do that?  People rip on the game all the time on the forums, but in constructive ways.  People do that to WoW, too.  I just think it's a bit more laxed for WoW because they have SO much more posting there.

Smaller games have always enforced rules a bit more, just because there is so much less to police.  When the game first came out and there were a lot more players/posters, it wasn't nearly as enforced.

I'm sorry, but the more you post about the game, the more you seem to just be bashing it.  Granted, this is the place to do it! But  you claim to be wanting to better the game......?  Most of the posting I've seen just seems people congrulating each other on how much they all hate the game together.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Swanea

I don't understand.  How is this different then ANY OTHER GAME FORUM OUT?

Even this forum suspends/warns/bans people for these things.

Why is it so much worse for Bioware/EA to do that?  People rip on the game all the time on the forums, but in constructive ways.  People do that to WoW, too.  I just think it's a bit more laxed for WoW because they have SO much more posting there.

Smaller games have always enforced rules a bit more, just because there is so much less to police.  When the game first came out and there were a lot more players/posters, it wasn't nearly as enforced.

I'm sorry, but the more you post about the game, the more you seem to just be bashing it.  Granted, this is the place to do it! But  you claim to be wanting to better the game......?  Most of the posting I've seen just seems people congrulating each other on how much they all hate the game together.

There is a lot of things wrong  / lacking with SWTOR, that EA/BW are unable to do, plus as I said my previous post - the rules are not in plain sight although were

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by tom_gore
    I'll give until the end of 2013 before EA pulls the plug on the servers.

No they won't.

They're still stringing along Warhammer which obviously has way lower net income for them. So why in the hell would they close this game?

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• primetheusprimetheus Member UncommonPosts: 28

Its not a case of we dont want any critisism of our game its more a case of tell us whats wrong but not in a manner such omg this sucks so bad why didnt they ect.ect..  and more a case of I beleive is X was done this way because of Y  then i would be more inclined to use X or Y

I totaly agree with bioware/Ea for tightning there forum post rules as for to long have haters and whinners rulled the threads with zero constructive feedback