Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

POLL: Faction Lock, or Not...

Comments

• MiklosanMiklosan Member Posts: 176

If this game turns into daoc 2  instead of Elder Scrolls online well....atleast I won't need to hang around with the daoc boys anymore... bye bye, keeps playing my current mmo:)

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

Its an easy fix.  Don't tie races to faction. Then people can go anywhere, unless they are wearing their faction clothes which flags them to the other factions.

TSW does something like.

• maddog15amaddog15a Member UncommonPosts: 83
    Originally posted by Ryowulf
    Originally posted by Tayah

It's fine the way they currently have it..worked just fine in DAOC.

The Dev is putting all his hopes (and those of the investors who want to turn a profit) on RvR.  It isn't that RvR is a part of the game, an option out of many, he is making the game around it. 

The ip is going to sell boxes, but what happens when those people who I assume are buying the game are thinking they are getting Skyrim MMO, find out is DAOC2?

DAOC has a super loyal following, but they don't have a huge player base. In a time when there are so many choices for MMOs to play.  It seems like a bad idea to push players away. And I have no doubt, people not being able to play the race they want with their friends will have an impact.

If everything is VO, I think it will have an impact on how fast content comes out.  RvR, but no new content is not going to keep people around.

Having 3 locked lands, means 3 times the content, which means slower content updates or all content is just a copied but then what would be the point of an alt?

Thank you, finaly people are seeing the issue with ESO.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Full PvP areas, NOT FREE FOR ALL PvP but the ability to have it anywhere.

Anyone wanting a WAR and not wanting it in their backyard is asking for a limited game.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by maddog15a

The Dev is putting all his hopes (and those of the investors who want to turn a profit) on RvR.  It isn't that RvR is a part of the game, an option out of many, he is making the game around it. 

The ip is going to sell boxes, but what happens when those people who I assume are buying the game are thinking they are getting Skyrim MMO, find out is DAOC2?

DAOC has a super loyal following, but they don't have a huge player base. In a time when there are so many choices for MMOs to play.  It seems like a bad idea to push players away. And I have no doubt, people not being able to play the race they want with their friends will have an impact.

If everything is VO, I think it will have an impact on how fast content comes out.  RvR, but no new content is not going to keep people around.

Having 3 locked lands, means 3 times the content, which means slower content updates or all content is just a copied but then what would be the point of an alt?

The game is designed to be played one faction, one map and thats it. My guess is quest and story will repeat in each area to a large degree and would not make sense as each faction is at war and the NPCs and quests in each area will reflect that. My bet is also the dungeons will be mirrored to some level as well. I am sure they would need to do to much work just to let another faction walk on another faction map and thats not worth the devs time. Let them design the game they planed to make and stop asking for things that are larger then you understand. 

• sodade21sodade21 Member UncommonPosts: 349
    Originally posted by coretex666

I am for Full PvP all areas. 

I do not like having PvP limited to special areas / zones. It kind of takes away the thrill. In my opinion, having PvP allowed in all areas brings the element of surprise and the necessity to watch your back. If you go to a PvP zone, you expect that PvP will happen, so you are prepared for that.

This is why I am a supporter of OWPvP.

I would not mind having newbie areas as sanctuaries like it is done in WoW.

this. Wow did one thing right and nooone can see it and copy that...they copy the wrong elements...well..

edit: and by all means im speaking about pvp everywhere in the world not Open PVP like darkfall where they can loot everything from you..

Open world pvp worked and works amazingly in WoW and can hardly make people really rage quit... darkfall on the other side is another story even though gear and everything was so easy to obtain peoples mentality couldnt accept that they gonna lose everything. so most left for ever.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

The game is designed to be played one faction, one map and thats it. My guess is quest and story will repeat in each area to a large degree and would not make sense as each faction is at war and the NPCs and quests in each area will reflect that. My bet is also the dungeons will be mirrored to some level as well. I am sure they would need to do to much work just to let another faction walk on another faction map and thats not worth the devs time. Let them design the game they planed to make and stop asking for things that are larger then you understand. 

Just to check, it it ment to be played

'one faction one map'

or

'3 games in one'

or '

faction locks for faction pride'

or

'explore the entire continent of Tamriel'

The game is a confused clusterfuck with their design. They want it be be a TES, they want it to be a RvR game, they want it to be a DAOC game...They don't seem to really be getting any of them.

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by maddog15a

And there lies the problem.  Do you honestly think a single zone for endgame, no matter how large or how much phasing/instancing it has will keep players attention longer than 2-3 months after release?  Unless Zenimax has some unforeseen ace up its sleeve, I'm not seeing any longevity for this game.  It's only hope is to maybe release as a B2P or F2P title and even then that's a pretty big maybe. 

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

Originally posted by Crazyhorsek
    lol the funny thing is... even with the unrelentless whining the "current design" comes out on top... by far. lol... nice :) least we can see that this faction lock its only the "vocal minority".

How do you work that out?

35% so far for the way it is, the rest for more open PvP....65%.

But hey, if you are happy selling to 35% of your customer base then good for you.

BTW 54 votes is hardly gonna proove anything eitherway so trying to gain some moral high ground or some sort of victory is kinda dumb.

He doesn't need to gain any victory, fact is the scene is set and some random poll on this site by some random cry more isn't going to change anything.

Don't like, don't play it, plenty people will so you not being there or the OP won't dent the box sold. In ten years time you will still be here moaning about the latest MMO not being "wtf pawns all open pvps dude" have fun and i hope you have plenty of popcorn.

The victory was already won in 2007 when they started designing the game, you are just late to the party.

Have a hankie.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

If they were trying to make an Elder Scrolls game, players should be free to go, do and pvp wherever they wanted.

But since they are not tying to make an Elder Scrolls game but a remake of DAoC then the way they are doing works for the game they are making.

Originally posted by SavageHorizon

He doesn't need to gain any victory, fact is the scene is set and some random poll on this site by some random cry more isn't going to change anything. Don't like, don't play it, plenty people will so you not being there or the OP won't dent the box sold. In ten years time you will still be here moaning about the latest MMO not being "wtf pawns all open pvps dude" have fun and i hope you have plenty of popcorn. The victory was already won in 2007 when they started designing the game, you are just late to the party. Have a hankie.

People lacking any imagination always think not restrickting PvP to just one area means some sort of FFA full loot PvP. There are many other options. And to be honest, this really has little to do with what sort of PvP the game has and more to do with how little of a TES game their design is.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

He doesn't need to gain any victory, fact is the scene is set and some random poll on this site by some random cry more isn't going to change anything. Don't like, don't play it, plenty people will so you not being there or the OP won't dent the box sold. In ten years time you will still be here moaning about the latest MMO not being "wtf pawns all open pvps dude" have fun and i hope you have plenty of popcorn. The victory was already won in 2007 when they started designing the game, you are just late to the party. Have a hankie.

People lacking any imagination always think not restrickting PvP to just one area means some sort of FFA full loot PvP. There are many other options. And to be honest, this really has little to do with what sort of PvP the game has and more to do with how little of a TES game their design is.

Really! you could of fooled me with your posts in this thread spouting on about PVP. And as for the game being less TES, have you played the game?

Don't give me that crap "but they are blah, blah, blah" have you played the game? nope you haven't played the game so how the fuck would you know what the game feels like or plays like. You are just one of many arm chair devs who thinks your years of playing mmo's gives you some mystical insight that the devs don't know.

Tell you what, go get a degree or whatever you need and apply for a job with ZeniMx. Who knows they might hire your mystical ass and all will be put's right because Maelwydd is here to show you how to wtf pawns make a MMO.

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

lol the funny thing is... even with the unrelentless whining the "current design" comes out on top... by far.

lol... nice :) least we can see that this faction lock its only the "vocal minority".

But hey, if you are happy selling to 35% of your customer base then good for you.

BTW 54 votes is hardly gonna proove anything eitherway so trying to gain some moral high ground or some sort of victory is kinda dumb.

Amazing how many people actually miss that, or choose to do so.

Only 1/3 of people are happy to have the game as it currently stands - 2/3 want access to other faction areas in one shape or other...

... and this on a board polarised between the DAoC fans and TES fans arguing the toss.

I would be surprised if this overall proportion of split chanegs much - but we shall see.

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272

lol the funny thing is... even with the unrelentless whining the "current design" comes out on top... by far.

lol... nice :) least we can see that this faction lock its only the "vocal minority".

You dont get the point - point is, the majority are united under "one option". I am amused at the twist you give it but you know... if there's an election and 40% are united under a common cause and the other 60% are divided between 5 or 6 parties or  "pockets of resistance" and don't even agree with each other, you know the party with 40% will win right? Its called relative majority.

And its not moral high ground... this is just the best for TESO, it was done before and it worked perfectly but... since its before the WoW era, people don't have any idea of how it works so they see change always as a menace. People will always try to clinge to what they know instead of venturing into the unknown, no matter how good is that unkown.

And btw... since you put things that way, yes I rather have 35% of people that know what they're talking about than 65% that have no clue about the system or its benefits and I'd say that about half of those 65% are just going along with the doom train because of the doom scenarios portrayed here, and half of the other half are thinking about TES single player ... the other half think "faction lock" = SWTOR.

Thats why there are more people under a single choice there - 35% are the ones who actually know, by experience, the good and bad of faction lock and what it will mean in the game context. To be honest... I'll even go as far as to say that those 35% of those "pro faction lock" actually think "yea it will be nice without it BUT from what I've tried all those years, because of the community it just DOESNT WORK, so its better to have a better experience overall than to let something pointless as faction lock ruin the entire game - so yes, please faction lock - been there and at least that worked".

What you think DAoC people never thought "man I'd actually like to go over to hibernia and check their stuff"? But ultimately its for a greater good. I also wish that we all had a "common language" but you know... on the other hand I really dont want to hear all the imature people and comments made when things dont go "how they want it". So... block the language also. Please.

You see how that works right? Its not that people that like faction lock dont like to explore or that they agree in absolute terms with the decision, but they know that the alternative. They've seen the alternative and they've played the alternative and it has far worse consequences when, with faction lock, the integrity of the game is protected and they can just "go around that faction lock and roll an alt to check the other guys stuff".

I dont know whos the "zealot" here... non-factionlock crowd are the ones, dressed in dark-brown priest-like robes shouting "the end is near" while the "faction-lock" are just trying to make you guys see the light - no the sky is not falling and the radio is not witchcraft.

You dont get the point - point is, the majority are united under "one option". I am amused at the twist you give it but you know... if there's an election and 40% are united under a common cause and the other 60% are divided between 5 or 6 parties or  "pockets of resistance" and don't even agree with each other, you know the party with 40% will win right? Its called relative majority.

And its not moral high ground... this is just the best for TESO, it was done before and it worked perfectly but... since its before the WoW era, people don't have any idea of how it works so they see change always as a menace. People will always try to clinge to what they know instead of venturing into the unknown, no matter how good is that unkown.

And btw... since you put things that way, yes I rather have 35% of people that know what they're talking about than 65% that have no clue about the system or its benefits and I'd say that about half of those 65% are just going along with the doom train because of the doom scenarios portrayed here, and half of the other half are thinking about TES single player ... the other half think "faction lock" = SWTOR.

Thats why there are more people under a single choice there - 35% are the ones who actually know, by experience, the good and bad of faction lock and what it will mean in the game context. To be honest... I'll even go as far as to say that those 35% of those "pro faction lock" actually think "yea it will be nice without it BUT from what I've tried all those years, because of the community it just DOESNT WORK, so its better to have a better experience overall than to let something pointless as faction lock ruin the entire game - so yes, please faction lock - been there and at least that worked".

What you think DAoC people never thought "man I'd actually like to go over to hibernia and check their stuff"? But ultimately its for a greater good. I also wish that we all had a "common language" but you know... on the other hand I really dont want to hear all the imature people and comments made when things dont go "how they want it". So... block the language also. Please.

You see how that works right? Its not that people that like faction lock dont like to explore or that they agree in absolute terms with the decision, but they know that the alternative. They've seen the alternative and they've played the alternative and it has far worse consequences when, with faction lock, the integrity of the game is protected and they can just "go around that faction lock and roll an alt to check the other guys stuff".

I dont know whos the "zealot" here... non-factionlock crowd are the ones, dressed in dark-brown priest-like robes shouting "the end is near" while the "faction-lock" are just trying to make you guys see the light - no the sky is not falling and the radio is not witchcraft.

Do another poll then.

Make the poll a 50/50 choice between 'keep the game as it is'  and 'no faction locked territory and ability to explore entire continent of Tamriel without changing the central PvP in Cyrodil' and see what the results are.

Assuming people don't know the subjuct to substanciate your view and to make it appar opposers are clueless is just petty and totally transparent.

The main problem isn't the PvP anyway, is is the lack of freedom to explore which is CENTRAL to any TES game. On top of that is the choice to use a system that removes that. Like having a Banana split but not making t with Banana's - Yeah that right, fucking retarded.

• aylwynnaylwynn Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by cura
    I would go with full pvp in all areas with downleveling, like in GW2, to discourage high level ganking.

Autoscaling didn't work for direct PvP in GuildWars 2 at all. Downgraded players with highend equipment will still have stats capped. Autoscaling was just for grouping up/helping friends without stealing Exp/having easymode OR involving lowlevel characters into siegeaspects of World vs World. Autoscaling (it doesnt matter if up- or downscaling) would never work since there will always minimumstats as upgraded lowlevel player or capstats as downgraded highend equipped player.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

Really? I think voters for any "no faction lock" option would vote for one of the other "no faction lock" options over the faction lock one. I don't even know the difference between the second and third options. :)

I'm thinking a second tour would be a large margin win.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

I don't understand why people complain about a core concept of a game as if it is going to magically change.

It would be like me complaining that I cant use my Horde characters to group with Alliance on WoW. Or why I can't have open world PvP in Guild Wars 2. Or why my Assassin in Everquest 2 can't shoot fireballs.

The game is based around RvR, thats why it is designed this way. It's not going to change, either move on or get over it.

• PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239
    I don't care what they do..All i know i want to have fun and be entertain and not be bored. Simple yes? If not it will be a failed game..

I retired retroactively..Haha

Problem is that poll is actually pretty accurate - 1 option says what players from the "faction lock" crowd want... the others show that the "non-faction lock" crowd actually dont know what they want since they have to divide all the options. It just shows that people against the faction lock dont actually have a consensus but its a "everyone for himself as long as it doesnt have faction lock"

I wont go down the philosophy rabbit hole but...

Its different when someone says "I like this car" than "I like everyother car unless its THAT car", it just shows you dont really like cars, you just happen to not like that particular one, because every other is fine by you. It reminds me of those guys who watch football that don't actually love their teams but instead choose to hate a particular team so they choose the opposite. "Hey any team but that one bro".

Originally posted by evilastro

It would be like me complaining that I cant use my Horde characters to group with Alliance on WoW. 

Actually I think that if the wow player base cries enough blizzard can do this.

If you still have 1 option for faction lock and 100 options for other ways to do it the poll would be even more diluted....no shit sherlock!

Seriously, you can make a poll say what you want and read into it what you want. As I said, do the other poll and see what happens. But of course, you can word the poll to get what you want, gotta love marketting and advetising 'honesty'.

Do another poll then.

Make the poll a 50/50 choice between 'keep the game as it is'  and 'no faction locked territory and ability to explore entire continent of Tamriel without changing the central PvP in Cyrodil' and see what the results are.

Assuming people don't know the subjuct to substanciate your view and to make it appar opposers are clueless is just petty and totally transparent.

The main problem isn't the PvP anyway, is is the lack of freedom to explore which is CENTRAL to any TES game. On top of that is the choice to use a system that removes that. Like having a Banana split but not making t with Banana's - Yeah that right, fucking retarded.

Lol... yea "do another poll then".

You dont get it do you? First I was talking about this poll and second, the poll was done by an "anti faction lock" activist. And its funny how he managed to divide his own side of the voting because he knows, or his subconscious knows that the people that are against faction lock actually have different opinions amongst them.

If there was a second poll there should be only about the "non faction lock" and of course watch as you all would eat yourselves over some other petty thing like "I want my rocks round" "no, I want them sharp" or "I hate voice acting, I want a wall of text just look at the swtor failure lolz <ronc wipe his nose>" "no way man, voice acting was great in skyrim and TES is all about voice acting"

There are more things that divide the "non faction lock" crowd... because you know... whiners gonna whine and there will always be something for someone to whine about - this is the current game world (yea I know, whining used to be mostly an mmorpg exclusive, but these days whining even manages to change how single player games end lol "ohhhh I dont want my game to end like that - OI YEW! <insert random company here and random game that ends with 3> CHAENGE MOI END GAYME COZ IT SOCKS! I WONT TO SOIVE THE FOCKIN PLANET - CHAENGE IT, NOW!"

Oh the gaming community these days is... so bad. Really.

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506

This is too funny. I saw a poll on here the other day about Faction lock vs Open world, but it wasn't about PVP. Now this poll pops up. The other poll was like 80% for open world. This poll now shows that 34% want to keep PVP in Cyrodiil. 

That tells me that most of the people complaining are either open world gankers or PVE'ers. 

Originally posted by fs23otm

This is too funny. I saw a poll on here the other day about Faction lock vs Open world, but it wasn't about PVP. Now this poll pops up. The other poll was like 80% for open world. This poll now shows that 34% want to keep PVP in Cyrodiil. 

That tells me that most of the people complaining are either open world gankers or PVE'ers. 

I fail to see your logic...

If most people want an open world and PvP just in Cyrodil...how does that mean people are open world gankers? Isn't that the exact opposite of the results? Or is the 65% the majority now so your argument makes sense?

And what exactly is the problem if most people are PvE'ers? (Except of course the developers have descided to make it a PvP central game - know your target audiance)