Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Forum rules update - [mod edit]

KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Last month EA put new forum rules into their "system".  They still enforce the rules, but because of backlash, they removed them from their Developer Blogs.

Since they are still being acted on, and since there is little paper-trail for them, I'd like to create some paper-trail for what they said.

It was on the developer blog, but was removed, and (mistakenly) kept as a closed thread (usually stuff missing from the Dev blog doesn't leave an original thread to read ... WHOOPS! ... lol - You have to delete all copies if you want it gone):

Forum Changes Update

JovethGonzalez

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5738967#post5738967

Hi everyone,

Last August, we posted some words in regards to tightening the forum rules.

I wanted to let you all know that everything in that post is still in effect. In order to improve the forum experience for our players, we are making additional changes as of today. Going forward, infractions will carry more points after an initial warning is sent out. This well help us curb nonconstructive behavior in general.

As a reminder, you may find that threads that are not constructive are removed or closed without warning. Here are some things we consider nonconstructive:

• Long lists of gripes with few specific details and little useful feedback
  • Threads that bash the game or BioWare
  • Threads about quitting the game
  • Callouts towards specific developers
  • "Haters" vs "fanboys" arguments/unconstructive community commentary

It's also important to review the Rules of Conduct. Generally, if you feel that you may be crossing a line, it's probably better to err on the side of caution and rewrite your post.

If you feel that someone is breaking any of the rules in a post, or if you see a nonconstructive thread, please remember to report it and move on. Responding in kind to someone who is breaking the rules only makes flame wars and other disruptive behavior go on longer. If you just can’t agree with someone and feel like they may provoke you into breaking the rules, please use your ignore list. Remember: there are people out there who just want to make you mad and get a rise out of you. Don’t give them what they want!

Your help is greatly appreciated in helping us maintain a welcoming and friendly community!

This important message was still deleted from the Developer Blog, nevertheless.  Why is that?

Essentially .. no bad mouthing "BioWare", even though we all know it's EA.  No talk of discontent allowed!  You will be infracted if you even say a bad word!!

Don't believe me, read the SWTOR forums in the early morning before moderators wake up.  There will be a unhappy post there, even though it's malign in nature .. but it will soon disappear .. swoosh!.

Or maybe witness one during the day, on a thread that asked BioWare (EA) when they will fix the graphics engine.  Swoosh, gone.  Infractred.

The best customer service is one where there is no dissention from the customer.  Right?

EA leads the industry.

[mod edit - edited title to be less inflammatory. Keep it civil, guys]

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

"Haters" vs "fanboys" arguments/unconstructive community commentary"

I so wish every forum I visit would adopt such a policy in regard to this content. It used to be funny to read, now it's just mind-bendingly annoying.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Ppiper
    their forums, their rules. Simple solution, don't visit there.

Expanding on this: Their forums, their rules, their jobs, all paid with your money, make em sweat a little when their earnings start dropping.

• Kingmob23Kingmob23 Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Considering what a cesspool their forums were, I'm surprised they didnt do it earlier. I don't mind it if these games tighten the criticism up in the forums if there is no constructive criticism.

I hate in WoW that every other thread is a crz or raidfinder loot argument. I wish bliz would lock some of the more redundant ones a little more often.
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

EA is heavy handed on their forums, this has been the case for year.  They even blacklisted some folks.  They don't like negative post of any type. 

It is really to bad as some of those post if they were listened to could have made some of their games better.   

That is why I don't post on the official ea forums they don't like anybody who says anything negative. 

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

So what? It's their forum. What the fuck does it matter? You want to have more "freedom' in your complaints, retorts, etc. Then you post on forums like these.

It may be to varying degrees but company owened forums for the game in question always do this shit to a much more elevated degree than others.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• KinchyleKinchyle Member Posts: 309
    Originally posted by Distopia

"Haters" vs "fanboys" arguments/unconstructive community commentary"

I so wish every forum I visit would adopt such a policy in regard to this content. It used to be funny to read, now it's just mind-bendingly annoying.

Agreed so very much. Could be adopted here to...but then....

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

If you are "bashing" a game on that games forum it is probably not worth your time playing and you are hoping it gets turned into something it is not and probably will never be.

Too many games out on the market.

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    Honestly, I don't see the problem with their rules.  Many forums are cesspools of trolling, flame wars, rage threads, and exaggerated complaints that do nothing but irritate the crap out of the people reading it.  I have often wondered how some of the posters can be so consistently offensive and not get hit with the ban stick.  Enforcing some basic rules paves the way for more civil conversations to take place.  Also, like a few others have mentioned, it is not your forum, it is theirs.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by Karteli

Last month EA put new forum rules into their "system".  They still enforce the rules, but because of backlash, they removed them from their Developer Blogs.

Since they are still being acted on, and since there is little paper-trail for them, I'd like to create some paper-trail for what they said.

It was on the developer blog, but was removed, and (mistakenly) kept as a closed thread (usually stuff missing from the Dev blog doesn't leave an original thread to read ... WHOOPS! ... lol - You have to delete all copies if you want it gone):

Forum Changes Update

JovethGonzalez

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5738967#post5738967

Hi everyone,

Last August, we posted some words in regards to tightening the forum rules.

I wanted to let you all know that everything in that post is still in effect. In order to improve the forum experience for our players, we are making additional changes as of today. Going forward, infractions will carry more points after an initial warning is sent out. This well help us curb nonconstructive behavior in general.

As a reminder, you may find that threads that are not constructive are removed or closed without warning. Here are some things we consider nonconstructive:

• Long lists of gripes with few specific details and little useful feedback
    • Threads that bash the game or BioWare
    • Threads about quitting the game
    • Callouts towards specific developers
    • "Haters" vs "fanboys" arguments/unconstructive community commentary

It's also important to review the Rules of Conduct. Generally, if you feel that you may be crossing a line, it's probably better to err on the side of caution and rewrite your post.

If you feel that someone is breaking any of the rules in a post, or if you see a nonconstructive thread, please remember to report it and move on. Responding in kind to someone who is breaking the rules only makes flame wars and other disruptive behavior go on longer. If you just can’t agree with someone and feel like they may provoke you into breaking the rules, please use your ignore list. Remember: there are people out there who just want to make you mad and get a rise out of you. Don’t give them what they want!

Your help is greatly appreciated in helping us maintain a welcoming and friendly community!

This important message was still deleted from the Developer Blog, nevertheless.  Why is that?

Essentially .. no bad mouthing "BioWare", even though we all know it's EA.  No talk of discontent allowed!  You will be infracted if you even say a bad word!!

Don't believe me, read the SWTOR forums in the early morning before moderators wake up.  There will be a unhappy post there, even though it's malign in nature .. but it will soon disappear .. swoosh!.

Or maybe witness one during the day, on a thread that asked BioWare (EA) when they will fix the graphics engine.  Swoosh, gone.  Infractred.

The best customer service is one where there is no dissention from the customer.  Right?

EA leads the industry.

Man you really might as well start titling all your TOR threads "SW TOR: The Turd That Just Won't Flush"

This company botched the game at launch, set about botching damn near every improvment they tried to make, and then botched the free to play conversion. EA already stated they only care about the initial box sales so anything else that trickles in is gravy. The Bioware team did an abysmal job with 5 years and a large compliment of development staff, who are now mostly layed off. So I fail to see how they could somehow turn the game around after continually making such a shambles of it. The game is what it is, not very good. And I don't think any amount of crying, complaining, begging, or praying is going to change that. I think the best thing you could do at this point is just to let shit go and move on with your life.

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Raventree
    Honestly, I don't see the problem with their rules.  Many forums are cesspools of trolling, flame wars, rage threads, and exaggerated complaints that do nothing but irritate the crap out of the people reading it.  I have often wondered how some of the posters can be so consistently offensive and not get hit with the ban stick.  Enforcing some basic rules paves the way for more civil conversations to take place.  Also, like a few others have mentioned, it is not your forum, it is theirs.

When someone wants to talk frankly about SWTOR, all I can say is, are you serious Raventree?

Only positive threads allowed on SWTOR forums, think about it ? =D

No feedback.  Great idea.  No feedback is what EA wants (better for business).  With their system that is why they acost the SW IP, and drive the franchise into the mud.

Think about it.  Fan feedback might make this game happen.  No feedback because it gets squelched ... ahh .. big fail on EA and fans who supported that system.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

I doubt they are very much into feedback anyways these days.  I doubt they care too much about what their players say, and so many negative things could be said about Swtor, that their forum could easily just end up being nothing more than an advertisement NOT to play Swtor on their very own website. 

So of course they restrict it like crazy.  Any constructive critisism isn't probably heard or cared about by them anyways.  It just makes them looks bad.  

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I can't blame them.  If I ran the forums, I'd do the same.  Going on forums and just with a  simple post of  "This game sucks, stay away, nothing works right!"  doesn't do anything.  Unless you're going to get specific in what you don't like, and offer a solution, keep it to yourself...  I've posted many times on this site, not liking something about a game, or a game as a whole, but I almost always post with it what I would've liked to see them do or have done.

Edit: It's not against the rules to suggest something to be changed, just only if you're going to "bash" it.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Originally posted by Ppiper
    their forums, their rules. Simple solution, don't visit there.

Expanding on this: Their forums, their rules, their jobs, all paid with your money, make em sweat a little when their earnings start dropping.

You poop on someone's kitchen table, expect a reaction.  Then again, some people do this stuff just for the reaction.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

Yes, of all the things EA should be focusing on... stronger moderation of the Forums is the clear winner.  

These sort of things never go over well. 

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

When someone wants to talk frankly about SWTOR, all I can say is, are you serious Raventree?

No feedback.  Great idea.  No feedback is what EA wants (better for business).  With their system that is why they acost the SW IP, and drive the franchise into the mud.

Think about it.  Fan feedback might make this game happen.  No feedback because it gets squelched ... ahh .. big fail on EA and fans who supported that system.

It doesn't say 'no feedback' and it doesn't say 'positive threads only'.

'Bashing' is being negative for the sake of being negative; i.e. whining about something just to get a response. Constructive criticism is not ruled out by those rules. Unfortunately most of the MMO gaming community these days doesn't know how to be constructively critical, they just bitch and whine expecting the problem to be magically fixed.

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559

Constructive critizism STILL is perfectly fine.

There still are plenty of (constructive) critical posts there, less favorable about the game. But its a good thing they remove/close the flamebaits, the bashing and flames. Infact.. these rules always excisted, even on these forums, only thing is they are now more.. enforcing them.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Gravarg

I can't blame them.  If I ran the forums, I'd do the same.  Going on forums and just with a  simple post of  "This game sucks, stay away, nothing works right!"  doesn't do anything.  Unless you're going to get specific in what you don't like, and offer a solution, keep it to yourself...  I've posted many times on this site, not liking something about a game, or a game as a whole, but I almost always post with it what I would've liked to see them do or have done.

Edit: It's not against the rules to suggest something to be changed, just only if you're going to "bash" it.

Why is it the poster's responsibility to put forth a solution to any specific problems they bring forth?  Are they getting paid for it?  Whose job is it and how do they find out about these issues?  Customer complaints has been the very foundation of how businesses improve themselves or they lose business or even worse, go out of business.  Why should it be any different with gaming?  Why are so many gamers so quick to defend companies that are either lazy or put forth sub-standard products?  I truly don't understand it and I certainly don't subscribe to it either.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Most forums do this. Just to pick a newer game, Guildwars 2 does this a lot as well. The official game forums are the perfect place to spread a posative outlook, any negative topics often being taken away to make the game look better. Its nothing new at all and I don't see this changing at all in the future. It just means if you want to talk about a game in a more negative light, focus your efforts on another forum, trying first on the forum and if its closed just discuss elsewhere.
  • toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    Originally posted by erictlewis

EA is heavy handed on their forums, this has been the case for year.  They even blacklisted some folks.  They don't like negative post of any type. 

It is really to bad as some of those post if they were listened to could have made some of their games better.   

That is why I don't post on the official ea forums they don't like anybody who says anything negative. 

So the truth hurts them, but yet all they do is sweap it under the rug.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

Well if it makes anyone feel better, JovethGonzalez, the community manager, and guy qho runs the forums, was just canned.

I meant, he decided to pursue other undisclosed oppurtunities, and his old posts are being deleted.

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541

Looks like a perfectly valid set of rules to me. Are you bashing?

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Bioware doesn't read those forums.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    "Forum rules update - Can't bash SWTOR or your history" I thought this was going to be about how they release your history to everyone, if you bash the game. However, it is a completely lame thread that should have said "you're history". Could of been so much more entertaining :D
  • ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Eluldor
    "Forum rules update - Can't bash SWTOR or your history" I thought this was going to be about how they release your history to everyone, if you bash the game. However, it is a completely lame thread that should have said "you're history". Could of been so much more entertaining :D

Wow, did you really think that? That they would take the time to do that when they don't respond to anything on the forums except to moderate rules? lol.

/continue thread

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• VindicarVindicar Member UncommonPosts: 138

If they REALLY stick to those rules. I mean litteraly. Then it's cool.

But those rules are also pretty close to allowing pure censoring.

thin line.

Old school french hardcore whiner. Online since T4C.

I was "Namless" and "Daroot" in AO (Rk2)
    Been known as "Vindicar" (Aion (EU), SWTOR (EU), WoW (EU).
    Recently  Known as "Wundicar" and "Wundee" in Age of Wushu (US) and Wulin (EU)

Franky Rivera Reyes , From the Reyes Brotherhood (Star Citizen)