Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

this game is a prime example of a game you should have fun but don't.

Comments

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

OP, I'm not going to lie, I have felt your pain.  You want something mentally stimulating.  I have been there before.

For me, I do think GW2 is mentally stimulating, both in pvp and pve.  HOWEVER, I will grant that I am EAGERLY awaiting the day that they let you select between several weapon skills per weapon (ie, sword 2-5 slots have 15 options to pick from, like utility skills do now.).  They will get there, like in GW1, but I think they are waiting to make sure that balance is fairly close and also for an expansion release.

Honestly, I really think that someone like you needs lots of pve, and pve that is really challenging an puzzle solving.  I have not found a game that is very good at stuff other than killing.  I'd love to see a cross of old-school Zelda style dungeons with switches and labyrinths and LOTS of jumping skills required while fighting enemies.  But such a game does not exist, and it likely never will.  The only thing that comes close to puzzles is Myst Online (free) but it has no combat whatsoever.

If I were you I'd wait till Neverwinter comes out.  They will have a thing that lets you generate your own dungeons... that *could* be really great if done well.

Personally, I've found GW2 to be a great B2P model that works for me.  I also think the complexity of picking traits and skills and armor stats ONCE YOU GET TO 80 is quite complex once you get down too it.  I like being forced to choose between taking counter skills vs offense skills.  I never enjoyed wow where everyone has the same set of skills based on what class they picked... talk about bland.

Anyhow, here's to hoping you find something.  If I were you though, I'd honestly just take a break for a while.  Maybe buy Torchlight 2 or Myst Online or something to change it up.

• KinchyleKinchyle Member Posts: 309
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    Originally posted by Kinchyle

Wha?

How is it multi tasking if you are playing the games you like? The above post was funny...but...srrsly? If you are playing YOU ARE NOT TROLLING!! If you are not enjoying a game...why not just move on? I would post my opinions on a forum...but it would be the forum of THE GAME I'M INTERESTED IN. Not here. Here...just trolling.

Aerowyn gave you a perfect example as to how.

Others run multiple screens at once all the time and bullshit or chat on other venues besides the game they're playing in reference to everything under the sun.

Don't go to forums if all you want to hear is positive shit ad nauseam. Nothing wrong with hearing everyone's perspective from those that enjoy the game to those that don't.

That's not multi tasking...it was funny though

And it has NOTHING TO DO with hearing anything positive or negative. It has to do with people posting shite just to post shite. Same arguments in EVERY forum for EVERY game. Almost as if ppl do it just to be seen. I know what forums are for. But if you are gonna sit there and tell all of us that most of the posts here are just :constructive criticism"...yeah

But keep telling yourself that multitasking makes it ok for trolls to roam. If it makes you feel better.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

And it has NOTHING TO DO with hearing anything positive or negative. It has to do with people posting shite just to post shite. Same arguments in EVERY forum for EVERY game. Almost as if ppl do it just to be seen. I know what forums are for. But if you are gonna sit there and tell all of us that most of the posts here are just :constructive criticism"...yeah

But keep telling yourself that multitasking makes it ok for trolls to roam. If it makes you feel better.

The guy didn't completely trash the game. Just gave his opinion. I know it's the new cool and hip thing to refer to every negative topic or comment as being a troll though.

Even gave further clarification a few posts up. Sounds like you're the one rationalizing really.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by pantheron
    I understand what you're suggesting, but I don't understand how that is actually creative. making up a fantasy backstory for every skill in the game is just like making quest text nobody reads, its pointless. why should a skill that is a signet, and heals you, be called anything other than "healing signet"? why should a minion made of bone, be anything other than a "bone Minion"? if the only thing that stimulates your mind is what text is stapled to a description of a skill, maybe you should just read books.

I believe you didn't understand what that poster was trying to get at, because they used a bad example.

i have better example.

healing Signet, vs Holy Shock from WoW. Holy shock has multiple uses in vanilla WoW (not sure how it is now) but it would deal damage or heal ally depending on who you target.

That's one example. There are so many dull skills in GW2 that I don't want to name them all out.

but I will give you a few examples of interesting skills from MMO like WoW and Rift.

*Army of the Dead (from WoW) can summon forth a army of undead creatures to fight for you. Very cool.

*Path of Frost (WoW) allow party members to walk on water.

*Mind Control (WoW) allow player to channel the control of another being.

*Ritual of Summoning(WoW) can summon ally from anywhere.

*Comjure Healthstone (WoW) can make consumable for ally to use and heal when they ready to use.

*Seed of Corruption (WoW) place a demonic seed on the target that explodes when the carrier takes too much damage. Dealing damage to nearby enemies.

*Transmogrify (Rift) turn enemy into a squirrel

*Summon Faerie Healer(Rift) basically a pet that can heal the team.

*Eruption of Life (Rift) an Melee attack that cause new attacks a chance to deal extra life damage on the target.

*Wild Growth (Rift) a aura effect that slows enemies in the area while healing ally over time and increase damage of ally effected.

man there is so many spell ideas that could replace the dull skills in the game. Seem lazy to me how some of the skills were designed. Even GW1 had more interesting skills. Yeah it also had dull skills as well, but at least it had way more interesting skills than Gw2..

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

The guy didn't completely trash the game. Just gave his opinion. I know it's the new cool and hip thing to refer to every negative topic or comment as being a troll though.

Even gave further clarification a few posts up. Sounds like you're the one rationalizing really.

No...the cool hip thing to do is what you are doing. I posted to the post I quoted...not the OP. But you generalize my post and just have to reply. Even if your post has no merit as to what I posted about. Just to be seen I guess.

My point..and has yet to be disproven....is that I see most  of these threads and wonder why post? If I get tired of a game or dislike it...I post for a bit and move on. Not here. And I post on the games forums...not here. Here it just seems we have a collective of disgruntled gamers waiting to reply to any thread bashing an MMO.

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

That's not really fair to take crazy good, large cooldown spells and compare them to basic attack spells in GW2.

For instance, Hamstring in Wow is just like the Warrior's #3 Cripple skill (1H sword) in GW2.  Compare utility and elites to stuff like army of the dead and there are some very clever skills in GW2.

It's not like Frostbolt is exciting.  SRSLY!  Why didnt you use that one in your examples? :D

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

I have 1200hrs played in GW2 and there is just no reason to log in anymore. 

Once you hit 80 there is only a few things to do.

Dungeons: Run the one with the gear you like, once you have the gear no reason to set foot in them again and no reason to do any other because there are no rewards.

Events: Fun the first couple of times, rewards are worthless, gets old fast.

Fractals: Fun for a couple of runs, becomes a grind really fast.

Legendary: If you have good luck or know how to play the TP you will be fine if you don't the I hope you enjoy throwing hundreds even thousands of gold in to the mystic toilet for 1 part .

WvW: is nothing but a zerg fest and most of the time you will die without even seeing who killed you because of culling.

SPvP: Is pretty much dead, only certain specs for cetain classes are  viable.

• sxvssxvs Member Posts: 109
    Originally posted by Thupli

That's not really fair to take crazy good, large cooldown spells and compare them to basic attack spells in GW2.

For instance, Hamstring in Wow is just like the Warrior's #3 Cripple skill (1H sword) in GW2.  Compare utility and elites to stuff like army of the dead and there are some very clever skills in GW2.

It's not like Frostbolt is exciting.  SRSLY!  Why didnt you use that one in your examples? :D

that wasn't what i was talking about anyway, which is why the person probably thought my example was bad which was in fact what i was talking about. :D

how my own example could be a bad one in which i know exactly what i mean, i won't know.

warcraft is more about the overall meaning of the character rather than one skill.... it's more the entirety of the class.

but maybe there is more of a mythos to draw upon, to where you see something like summoning a treant or a water elemental and it's iconic and carries alot of weight.

but the thing warcraft did was establish this well,. at least for me it did to where things had more meaning.

gaining tree form about made me get up and do a little dance for example... because it's like i've arrived as a true restoration druid as a fulfillment of the entirety of the class... the skills were more of an extension of this.

for this reason, it didn't need to have such depth/creativity in a majority of the the seperate skills to be interesting (because the focus was more on the overall class mythos, etc), although that would've been nice and made it even more interesting.

it's a bit hard to compare them in that regard,

as i'm not feeling any of that with gw2, it feels to me more of a bunch of generic skills combined with generic weapon skills for a generic class.

i see there's a unique function or whatever with the class but it doesn't seem to carry with it a meaning or whatever.

for one thing there desperately needs to be a better established depth/backstory with the classes so you can feel a stronger sense of self within the class for it to be similar with how it was in warcraft if that's the way it wanted to go.

that way simple, generic skills like it has would take on a bit more meaning  because of.

but since there's like barely even any creative/interesting things there i don't think even that would help.

in this way i actually think is somewhere the generic weapon skills hurt it more than help, if one was looking at it from that perspective.

based on the way this game is currently it would need to be more seperate from the overall class, like in the example i gave of the ancient medallion.

i'll leave things with that, as this thread more than likely has reached it's limit on where it's heading... not much else to go with it. i made pretty much all the points i wanted to make.

not much left unsaid... so, that will most likely be my last post in here.

good day, sirs and ma'ams.

No...the cool hip thing to do is what you are doing. I posted to the post I quoted...not the OP. But you generalize my post and just have to reply. Even if your post has no merit as to what I posted about. Just to be seen I guess.

My point..and has yet to be disproven....is that I see most  of these threads and wonder why post? If I get tired of a game or dislike it...I post for a bit and move on. Not here. And I post on the games forums...not here. Here it just seems we have a collective of disgruntled gamers waiting to reply to any thread bashing an MMO.

No...it really isn't. Part of me wishes it was though. Then I wouldn't have to deal with being called a fanboy, hater, or troll pending on the topic related to the game at hand.

Your post was pretty specific to what it correlated to. Again, if you don't like people commenting on issues or being unhappy with a product stay away from forums.

Your post was specific, over generalizing, and flat out uncalled for. Although to be fair what else is new? For every poster you bitch about doing what you claim there is one of you as well.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486

GW2 got kind of old for me.

The class system was just sort of stale. 

I liked the game; I just wouldn't play it over Champions Online.

• iamrtaiamrta Member UncommonPosts: 165

For me it just feels single player. Don't even need help if you don't run dungeons. Just warp around the map and spam the same keys. Not even a real sense of exploration since everything just popped up and is handed to me.

Didn't have that "thing" that lotro had the first time I played it. A sense of danger, discovery, whatever...is missing imho.

AND the fact that my dude talks like a dead robot in cut-scenes makes me crazy. Pulls me completely out of how I want to play my character.

No...it really isn't. Part of me wishes it was though. Then I wouldn't have to deal with being called a fanboy, hater, or troll pending on the topic related to the game at hand.

Your post was pretty specific to what it correlated to. Again, if you don't like people commenting on issues or being unhappy with a product stay away from forums.

Your post was specific, over generalizing, and flat out uncalled for. Although to be fair what else is new? For every poster you bitch about doing what you claim there is one of you as well.

lol...funny

So you are proving me right by being the one that just has to stay here and post/reply

My post is/was specific. To people like you.

lol...funny

So you are proving me right by being the one that just has to stay here and post/reply

...and your consistent posts on this topic prove what exactly?

My sentiments towards the game are well available. I find the game to be good in some aspects but lackluster in others. Same as I have always said.

All you have done is shown I'm right in my thoughts by you're own replies.

lol...funny

...and your consistent posts on this topic prove what exactly?

My sentiments towards the game are well available. I find the game to be good in some aspects but lackluster in others. Same as I have always said.

All you have done is shown I'm right in my thoughts by you're own replies.

Awesome...still makes my thoughts correct. You are who you are...as flawed as you are

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Zerg Wars 2 is not for everybody.

Awesome...still makes my thoughts correct. You are who you are...as flawed as you are

Right...as great as the "I know you are but what am I" shtick was as a kid it has grown old.

Pee Wee did it better than you. Feel free to vent how that somehow effects your game or your ability to appreciate them how you see fit.

Not to mention by your own logic you should be fully enjoying the game and not be so worried about something yourself. But hey...why start now?

What is equally entertaining is how you're trying to turn your original rant towards me. Considering initially your first post which started this humorous diatribe had nothing to do with me.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by ignore_me
    GW2 affected me this way too my first time playing it. I came back later and started seeing depth in the game that I first thought did not exist. It's a mindset thing I guess.

it does seem very simple at first only 5 skills per weapon set and all that... higher you get more traits you unlock more utility skills you unlock/elites more gear sets you aquire the better you understand the combo field/finisher system, the increasing amount of build combinations you can come up with, the sigils and runes added in as well,  then the more you play you really can  see the depth in this games combat system... simple to get into and play very hard to master

That's the thing that so many miss like OP, but I guess some people want epicness right from the start.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by sxvs
    Originally posted by pantheron
    I understand what you're suggesting, but I don't understand how that is actually creative. making up a fantasy backstory for every skill in the game is just like making quest text nobody reads, its pointless. why should a skill that is a signet, and heals you, be called anything other than "healing signet"? why should a minion made of bone, be anything other than a "bone Minion"? if the only thing that stimulates your mind is what text is stapled to a description of a skill, maybe you should just read books.

you don't see how that's creative versus a simple healing signet? really?

it's the definition of creativity.

it gives it depth, it gives it meaning... there's such possibility now opened up from this one medallion, heck you could even have an entire expansion based on this avatar of krieger in figuring out the mythos.

yes, i could do that entirely myself.. i could imagine the nameless/generic/boring healing signet is my ancient medallion and create all of that in my head, etc... but then why do i even play the game? why don't i just write my own story and imagine it all in my head? hehe.

i thought that was the point in an rpg game, to bring that sort of thing to life so we could adventure and live in a world with this type of mythos/lore/creativity, etc.

having an ancient medallion and the adventures it leads you on, etc.

and now when you use this medallion it has depth/power/meaning, you can picture the priests or whatever form that culture had worshipping this being and realize what kind of item/skill you possess.

this type of thing wouldn't make you more interested in progressing? if you were to find other similar things.. if the skills/item had this kind of depth/lore to it., etc?

i don't see how someone could be interested in obtaining a generic healing signet to where they would want to progress in their adventures.

You've noticed that "2" in "Guild Wars 2"?

Do you know where a signet come from?

In the first Guild Wars skills were originaly power rings which explained why players could only have 8 skills.

A signet was an engraving on those rings.

Those engravings are present in the doors of the bloodstone caves which were built by the human gods.

The ring system was dropped before release.

And of course humans are aliens to tyria brought there by the human gods, a bunch of the skills you see in GW2 also exist in GW1, tons of the name exotic and ascended items are named after characters of GW1, etc.

The lore is there, but playing the game for a single weekend won't allow you to discover the lore of a series that is almost 8 years old.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    may want to try a mesmer very unique class and you have tons of ways to play them.. i have changed my playstyle completely every ten levels and currently level 62 and still rocking new builds every couple of levels.. really you have a ton of options when you take in to account traits, utility skills and equipment.. and of course which weapon sets you are using..

i tried it for awhile but looking over the skills and such it seemed pretty boring to me... i guess i would agree like the engineer it's fairly unique but i don't think it's nearly as creative as the engineer.

when i played the engineer i actually was having fun because it felt like there was alot of creativity there, the others i tried (everything except necro) i found completely uninteresting.

mesmer i would agree, would probably have been 2nd but not enough to keep me interested, i only saw maybe 1-2 skills i was looking forward to getting in the skill calculator.

i don't see it, there's only a few skills with weapon changes correct? they stay the same throughout? or do they change somehow as you level higher? i looked over all the utility skills in the skill calculator and tried a bunch fo first tier ones with most classes and only a few i found interesting, mainly engineer.

here's an example of how I leveled my mesmer so far levels 1-15 I played greatsword/staff focus on direct damage and shattering my clones, 15-25 I played a condition build mostly based around staff and phantasms little shattering, 25-35 I played sword/focus with greatsword focusing on burst damage, 35-50 I played sword/torch with staff condition dfocused build with a lot of stealth options, 50-60 i switch to scepter/focus and staff and made a confusion based build, At 60 i switched to sword/focus and staff and rocking a mix of condition and burst from shatters.. you can decide if you want to build around shattering or phantasm damage with a lot of variations of the two

once you get to 40 you open up a TON of options for most classes through traits and utility skills.. once you hit 60 it opens up a lot more and at 80 obviously you get full reign to do anything you want.. people who think the system is shallow or has few options simply because of a lack of weapon skills really have not tried many options with the trait loadouts, differn't utility skills and differn't gear loadouts.. you have a ton of ways to play every class.. and you can easily look on youtube and see tons of builds for every class and tons of ways to play them.

I also I have a mantra build i'm working on now that focuses on heals and is a great support build

i see what you're saying and how you can play slightly different and change it up but that's not nearly enough to stimulate me mentally.

i looked over all the skills in the skill calculator and tried out the ones you pick first tier, it's not like it's so advanced that i can't see how it applies

my point was the lack of creativity among the skills, like a paladin summons an arcane sword/arcane axe/arcane bow... boooooooooring.

a thief's poison/traps, boooooooring.

rangers pets only interest me in the water, the rest of the pets/skills = boooooring.

the warrior, same old battle standards/shouts and what not = boooring.

i mean it's so base and dull.

here's the one i was looking at, it shows all the utility skills and weapon skills

http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#mcR

and only 1-2 seem creative/interesting enough to stimulate me mentally the rest are the most boring/basic things you could come up with for the same old classes.

No offense but you literally described pretty much every single MMO out there. What did you expect? Skills which are so advanced you have no idea what to do with them? (this doesnt happen in MMOs). Also you are complaining that their classes are similar to other classes in other games? What did you expect warriors to do? Shoot rainbows out of their backside?

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    GW2 affected me this way too my first time playing it. I came back later and started seeing depth in the game that I first thought did not exist. It's a mindset thing I guess.

it does seem very simple at first only 5 skills per weapon set and all that... higher you get more traits you unlock more utility skills you unlock/elites more gear sets you aquire the better you understand the combo field/finisher system, the increasing amount of build combinations you can come up with, the sigils and runes added in as well,  then the more you play you really can  see the depth in this games combat system... simple to get into and play very hard to master

I agree. I am seeing the synergistic effect of several factors at once now. Your description is most appropriate.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

I agree. I am seeing the synergistic effect of several factors at once now. Your description is most appropriate.

yea it is still funny I see level 80s running around with no clue how to use combo fields or dodge properly.. i guess game could do a better job of explaining more aspects of it to people that can't figure it out or are to used to traditional MMOs

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Torgrim

That's the thing that so many miss like OP, but I guess some people want epicness right from the start.

The fuck they do.

They may want a different variant.

Some of you fucks need to realize not everyone else feels your views.

Shocking...yet true....

It isnt about instant gratification. Nice way of slamming the OP though w/o getting a mod. Lord knows I will... but no matter. Doesn't change the truth of the subject.

funniest thing about the OP is what he wants exists in no MMO out there.. funnier that so many agreed and said gw2 combat sucks because of this.. guess all they saw was gw2 skills/combat suck so guess i agree!

don't care whether you like or hate a game or whatever but its funny how few actually read OPs before responding.. another perfect example was the thread about gw2 story.. the OP title sounded like he disliked gw2 story but if you read the post(which was a whopping ONE sentance long) he said he enjoyed it very much.. yet more than half the replies went "i agree with OP gw2 story was complete trash, VO blew" 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,310
    The OP started his flame war, got what he wanted and left. You can put this one to bed now.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

started to play this over the weekend and it's a fairly solid game, especially for having no subscription.

eveything is in place, it looks great.. overall all the tools are there.

but i just can't have fun playing this, one of the main reasons is the complete lack of creativity, i mean this is one of the most base/dull game mechanics i've seen... the same old class system i've been playing since the early 90s with the exception of the engineer which is actually pretty creative in comparison to the rest.

the main issue i have is the lack of creativity in the skills, they are so boring.

i tried almost every class to where i could start purchasing skills to see what they were like and i could've fell alseep at the lack of creativity among them.

so, so very basic across the board... the same paladin/warrior/thief i've seen so many times except not even as good as usual.

and then the horrible system where you create new characters when you try a new class instead of keeping your 1 character so you have to explore all the vistas/points of interest again with your new character.

unfortunate, because it's actually a pretty solid game overall except where it counts.. in the actual part you play with which keeps things fun and interesting.

looks like i'm going back to the secret world which even though has a horrible combat system at least it's creative and solid in most other areas.

a nice effort, but just fell short in my opinion.

a prime example of a game that from all appearances one would think you would have fun with but don't.

I have one word for you; Traits.

You didn't get far enough to see them and may be Anet was silly to think that you'd need to understand how the game works before you get into traiting but hey, if you wanted depth, that's where you would get it. Also Runes and Sigils. They also augment your playstyle with the different attributes you can get within them.

This is not a game.

OP forgot there is one game that has skill that all descriptions have a back story and "meaning". Age of Wushu since all skills are based off martial arts moves all in which were named for specific things.. your welcome:)

This discussion has been closed.