Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

this game is a prime example of a game you should have fun but don't.

Comments

• sxvssxvs Member Posts: 109
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    Originally posted by sxvs
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

what! huh! i'm not in some battle of wits, i'm not battling anything just trying to explain where i'm coming from.

maybe at some point a game developer reads this thread and in the future is a part of developing a game and thinks back to everything i've said and tries to put more creativity/depth in the game, and that's basically what the point of this thread is... to say that what this game offers isn't enough to keep people stimulated and continue, that we need more than this.

that a bunch of generic/base/boring skills like healing signet, and banner of might and kick isn't going to do it for the future.

that the avatar of krieger will prevail!

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

it seems like too many people misinterpret the meaning.

it has nothing to do with how powerful the skills are, creativity is within the skills themselves as i've explained.

for example, a simple healing signet i don't think is interesting.

changing "healing signet" to...

ancient medallion: avatar of krieger.

and in the description of the avatar of krieger it explains a little backstory of what krieger is, as it turns out it's a great octopus like creature of the sea, that was once worshipped by a once thriving coastal people but have since vanished.

and it shows a clear picture of this krieger which looks like some sort of octopus.

Oh I see, you base fun on reading in an MMO.

I UNDERSTAND NOW...

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

This one's going to get modded and/or locked.

OP is bait? check

Fanbois respond in kind? check

80+ posts of arguments, flames and personal insults? check

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by jtcgs

the main issue i have is the lack of creativity in the skills, they are so boring.

Spoken like someone who spent no time learning the game. Perhaps like most others you are just way too used to facerolling in games and cant handle learning something new with far more depth.

it seems like too many people misinterpret the meaning.

it has nothing to do with how powerful the skills are, creativity is within the skills themselves as i've explained.

for example, a simple healing signet i don't think is interesting.

changing "healing signet" to...

ancient medallion: avatar of krieger.

and in the description of the avatar of krieger it explains a little backstory of what krieger is, as it turns out it's a great octopus like creature of the sea, that was once worshipped by a once thriving coastal people but have since vanished.

and it shows a clear picture of this krieger which looks like some sort of octopus.

when activated the avatar appears and bathes you in healing waters.

and maybe even later you find out more of the mythos behind this medallion through quest, which opens up all kinds of other possibilities.

do you see the difference of a simple "healing signet" with nothing else, that does a simple basic heal compared to the avatar of krieger.

and btw who doesn't now badly want to obtain the avatar of krieger! i know i do. :D

curious what MMO provides an exciting and intersting back story to all specific skills individually?

none, which is why i'm still looking for a game!!!

in fairness it doesn't have to be every single skill, i can understand a couple basic boring skills or else there's no contrast/balance. but what i can't understand is every single skill for the most part being a complete borefest.

seems odd to me as its nothing I really thought about.. overall as long as the skill is fun to use that's the most important thing since it's what Ill be doing using the skill.. guess differn't strokes.. wouldn't get my hopes up on finding this in any MMO though even in the future

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Gorwe

I know this may not be the place for this:

Have you tried Vanguard? It COULD be what you are looking for(old school, imagination provoking MMO).

Now my thoughts(one quick sentence):

GW 2 is Like Kim Kardashian-beautiful and all that, but eerily empty from inside. And you obviously need something else, something that makes you lost in Fantasy yes? To use person analogy-you need someone who's gonna talk about Warhammer with you and not Kim. Instead of something that is merely beautiful...

Right?

(I am in same position mate)

pretty much! as you say.

i know this will sound crazy but i actually tried to download vanguard twice and play it and i could never get it set up properly and play it, it's completely embarrassing i know... i had a similar problem with star trek online but i did get that to play.

i can't even remember why i couldn't, maybe registering an account something wasn't going right but i just never went back because of that... i'm thinking to myself if i can't even start playing then what the spork.

i'm kind of looking for a new game though at this point, (i mean a newly released game not an old one) i've tried basically all of the old games (there's a few i haven't like vanguard) and i'm ready for a new game .

i think i'm going to go back to the secret world for now.. and wait for a new game or maybe play some old single player games like from sega/nintendo while waiting.

• pantheronpantheron Member UncommonPosts: 256
    I understand what you're suggesting, but I don't understand how that is actually creative. making up a fantasy backstory for every skill in the game is just like making quest text nobody reads, its pointless. why should a skill that is a signet, and heals you, be called anything other than "healing signet"? why should a minion made of bone, be anything other than a "bone Minion"? if the only thing that stimulates your mind is what text is stapled to a description of a skill, maybe you should just read books.

I play MMOs for the Forum PVP

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    while i can agree that guild wars 2 does lack some creativity in certain areas the skill system is not one of them IMO Using your game as example TSW most people quit because of the horrible combat system of fluff skill system where about 90% of the skills do not matter one bit. Im not on here to bash either game both have good qualities and bad qualities about them. The only game that has a world as big as GW2 that I can think of is skyrim and Oblivion , both Single player games. Both have less skills then GW2 and they are single player. Name a game also with a class like the mesmer that can make copies of themselves in the middle of combat , I cant. Not sure why you think the skill system is so bad when it offers more creative skills than most mmorpgs I can think of including tsw.
    Originally posted by pantheron
    I understand what you're suggesting, but I don't understand how that is actually creative. making up a fantasy backstory for every skill in the game is just like making quest text nobody reads, its pointless. why should a skill that is a signet, and heals you, be called anything other than "healing signet"? why should a minion made of bone, be anything other than a "bone Minion"? if the only thing that stimulates your mind is what text is stapled to a description of a skill, maybe you should just read books.

you don't see how that's creative versus a simple healing signet? really?

it's the definition of creativity.

it gives it depth, it gives it meaning... there's such possibility now opened up from this one medallion, heck you could even have an entire expansion based on this avatar of krieger in figuring out the mythos.

yes, i could do that entirely myself.. i could imagine the nameless/generic/boring healing signet is my ancient medallion and create all of that in my head, etc... but then why do i even play the game? why don't i just write my own story and imagine it all in my head? hehe.

i thought that was the point in an rpg game, to bring that sort of thing to life so we could adventure and live in a world with this type of mythos/lore/creativity, etc.

having an ancient medallion and the adventures it leads you on, etc.

and now when you use this medallion it has depth/power/meaning, you can picture the priests or whatever form that culture had worshipping this being and realize what kind of item/skill you possess.

this type of thing wouldn't make you more interested in progressing? if you were to find other similar things.. if the skills/item had this kind of depth/lore to it., etc?

i don't see how someone could be interested in obtaining a generic healing signet to where they would want to progress in their adventures.

Originally posted by cronius77
    while i can agree that guild wars 2 does lack some creativity in certain areas the skill system is not one of them IMO Using your game as example TSW most people quit because of the horrible combat system of fluff skill system where about 90% of the skills do not matter one bit. Im not on here to bash either game both have good qualities and bad qualities about them. The only game that has a world as big as GW2 that I can think of is skyrim and Oblivion , both Single player games. Both have less skills then GW2 and they are single player. Name a game also with a class like the mesmer that can make copies of themselves in the middle of combat , I cant. Not sure why you think the skill system is so bad when it offers more creative skills than most mmorpgs I can think of including tsw.

agreed(for once:P ) the more I played TSW more shallow I found the skill wheel unfortunatley because I loved it at first..... gw2 i have found a ton more variety in how I play each class and how the actual mechanics of the fight go depending on how I setup my build. I payed other games with illusion type classes(names escape me atm) but none that played like the gw2 mesmer

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• xevanonxevanon Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Originally posted by Ghern

I somewhat agree with the OP.

I beta tested the game. I was having fun. At release I was in a guild having a blast with my engineer. Nothing hardcore just taking my time and exploring the world. Dabbling in some WvWvW. 

Somewhere around the 6 week mark of game time something happened. My toon was in the 60's and I completely lost the will to play. I tried logging in and giving it a go but it just wasn't fun anymore. There was no hook that really grabbed me.

I really don't understand. It's a well made game, beautiful world, polished and smooth but something was missing for me.

I am really at a loss to explain it. Like I said, well made game, I am glad some still enjoy playing.

I haven't played in almost 3 months now.

Exactly my thoughs... Beautiful game but there is something missing I don't know what, to hooked me up... I can't point it out.

I cant log in anymore, no more fun for me.....sad:(

agreed(for once:P ) the more I played TSW more shallow I found the skill wheel unfortunatley because I loved it at first..... gw2 i have found a ton more variety in how I play each class and how the actual mechanics of the fight go depending on how I setup my build. I payed other games with illusion type classes(names escape me atm) but none that played like the gw2 mesmer

most builds do not even start to work until around level 40-60 anyways and is probably why he sees a lack of depth to the skill system. I play a warrior as a main and the class for the first 30 levels is bland and boring with really only people taking a precision build and thousand blades etc. Once you get to about 60 though your build completely changes and then at end game you are running a totally different build with much more power than boring signets. I see a dual axe warrior in wvw do a eviscarate crit for over 12k thats insane , now i been trying to pick a part the game to figure out how the hell he did it.

i agree that the secret world is lacking in alot of ways but the creative story lines/atmosphere is enough to keep me interested at least for now until i can find something better.

at least it has something creative and interesting enough to keep me involved.

a few of the storylines were awesome, awesome stuff... i loved the "jack" storyline for example.

alot of creative stories and stuff, so.. it will have to do for now.

btw a mage in warcraft makes copies of itself in battle.

i agree that the secret world is lacking in alot of ways but the creative story lines/atmosphere is enough to keep me interested at least for now until i can find something better.

a few of the storylines were awesome, awesome stuff... i loved the "jack" storyline for example.

it was over like 3 zones and it actually kind of scary haha.

and i loved that monster hunter clubhouse thingy.

yea mage is one.. there's another I'm thinking of just can't remeber which game...  also yea TSW has a great atmosphere overall just wish some other parts didn't drag it down for me

on the mage in wow yeah but its just different imo each clone does something different with a mesmer like spin greatsword one charges one shots guns etc. Also I can agree with you on the story in some regards but when you get to egypt you will see why TSW falls flat on its face and is on life support. Not trying to be negative about it just saying it loses its steam and you start to realize the skill system just sucks. Everyone runs the same builds for tanking healing and dps , its kinda boring and drab at end game. Also hell is going to freeze over i agreed with aerowyn ^_^

• KinchyleKinchyle Member Posts: 309
    10 pages talking about other games....I enjoy GW2 and have no idea why today's gamers would rather post or troll forums rather than play and socialise in game.
    Originally posted by Kinchyle
    10 pages talking about other games....I enjoy GW2 and have no idea why today's gamers would rather post or troll forums rather than play and socialise in game.

i actually have two computers side by side(ones a media center) so i play and post.. also i can post here when at work I can't play gw2 at work:) just during this conversation I completed my dailys and got my mesmer ot 63:P

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    may want to try a mesmer very unique class and you have tons of ways to play them.. i have changed my playstyle completely every ten levels and currently level 62 and still rocking new builds every couple of levels.. really you have a ton of options when you take in to account traits, utility skills and equipment.. and of course which weapon sets you are using..

i tried it for awhile but looking over the skills and such it seemed pretty boring to me... i guess i would agree like the engineer it's fairly unique but i don't think it's nearly as creative as the engineer.

when i played the engineer i actually was having fun because it felt like there was alot of creativity there, the others i tried (everything except necro) i found completely uninteresting.

mesmer i would agree, would probably have been 2nd but not enough to keep me interested, i only saw maybe 1-2 skills i was looking forward to getting in the skill calculator.

i don't see it, there's only a few skills with weapon changes correct? they stay the same throughout? or do they change somehow as you level higher? i looked over all the utility skills in the skill calculator and tried a bunch fo first tier ones with most classes and only a few i found interesting, mainly engineer.

here's an example of how I leveled my mesmer so far levels 1-15 I played greatsword/staff focus on direct damage and shattering my clones, 15-25 I played a condition build mostly based around staff and phantasms little shattering, 25-35 I played sword/focus with greatsword focusing on burst damage, 35-50 I played sword/torch with staff condition dfocused build with a lot of stealth options, 50-60 i switch to scepter/focus and staff and made a confusion based build, At 60 i switched to sword/focus and staff and rocking a mix of condition and burst from shatters.. you can decide if you want to build around shattering or phantasm damage with a lot of variations of the two

once you get to 40 you open up a TON of options for most classes through traits and utility skills.. once you hit 60 it opens up a lot more and at 80 obviously you get full reign to do anything you want.. people who think the system is shallow or has few options simply because of a lack of weapon skills really have not tried many options with the trait loadouts, differn't utility skills and differn't gear loadouts.. you have a ton of ways to play every class.. and you can easily look on youtube and see tons of builds for every class and tons of ways to play them.

I also I have a mantra build i'm working on now that focuses on heals and is a great support build

i see what you're saying and how you can play slightly different and change it up but that's not nearly enough to stimulate me mentally.

i looked over all the skills in the skill calculator and tried out the ones you pick first tier, it's not like it's so advanced that i can't see how it applies

my point was the lack of creativity among the skills, like a paladin summons an arcane sword/arcane axe/arcane bow... boooooooooring.

a thief's poison/traps, boooooooring.

rangers pets only interest me in the water, the rest of the pets/skills = boooooring.

the warrior, same old battle standards/shouts and what not = boooring.

i mean it's so base and dull.

here's the one i was looking at, it shows all the utility skills and weapon skills

http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#mcR

and only 1-2 seem creative/interesting enough to stimulate me mentally the rest are the most boring/basic things you could come up with for the same old classes.

only class I find really boring is warrior while tons love it.. great thing about opinions everyone has there own.. i like gw2 approach more than most other MMOs where you use the exact same skills with every single weapon.. where's the variety in that?

also in gw2 I can change playstyles completely all the time I can go from a melee machine to a ranged condition nightmare to a healing support  character just like that.. you have a lot of flexabilty on how you play the classes

Yup.  I tried your Mesmer notion but it couldn't take, no matter how hard I tried to get it to grow on me.  The Warrior on the other hand is amazing as I have so many builds and I get access to really cool skills.  Love the whole Shout Condition removal of the Warrior.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Zekiah
    The PvE becomes painful after awhile. It has a lot of polish but it's really not all that much fun to play. The WvWvW is what keeps most people playing.

Completely agree.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Originally posted by azzamasin

Yup.  I tried your Mesmer notion but it couldn't take, no matter how hard I tried to get it to grow on me.  The Warrior on the other hand is amazing as I have so many builds and I get access to really cool skills.  Love the whole Shout Condition removal of the Warrior.

mesmer is an odd class and honestly hated it when I first played it.. but after playing the game for awhile and coming back to the mesmer I'm hooked... i tried warrior a couple times.. highest I got was 40 but just didn't enjoy it overall.. i may dabble again as I need a charr character and warrior animations look good on charr:P

Because they multiask?

Post at work?

etc.

I find it more amazing this tired rationale still gets thrown around.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

i actually have two computers side by side(ones a media center) so i play and post.. also i can post here when at work I can't play gw2 at work:) just during this conversation I completed my dailys and got my mesmer ot 63:P

:D

That actually rules. But I meant most players not so tech savvy 

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Because they multiask?

Post at work?

etc.

Wha?

How is it multi tasking if you are playing the games you like? The above post was funny...but...srrsly? If you are playing YOU ARE NOT TROLLING!! If you are not enjoying a game...why not just move on? I would post my opinions on a forum...but it would be the forum of THE GAME I'M INTERESTED IN. Not here. Here...just trolling.

Originally posted by Zekiah
    The PvE becomes painful after awhile. It has a lot of polish but it's really not all that much fun to play. The WvWvW is what keeps most people playing.

Completely agree.

completely disagree :) combat starts off fun but simple and really gets fun as you go up.. also zone events get bigger and bigger as you move up in zones.. just finshed the one in Sparkfly Fen where the beach is being invaded by the risen and it spawns one of those dragon bone ships.. you need to fend off the invading risen from the water and blast the boat with catapults while the boat send huge bone shards flying at you .. can't really think of any themepark MMO ive had a more enjoyable PVE experience.

Because they multiask?

Post at work?

etc.

Wha?

How is it multi tasking if you are playing the games you like? The above post was funny...but...srrsly? If you are playing YOU ARE NOT TROLLING!! If you are not enjoying a game...why not just move on? I would post my opinions on a forum...but it would be the forum of THE GAME I'M INTERESTED IN. Not here. Here...just trolling.

fair enough, i understand what you mean.

but i'm interested in all games in some way since i'm interested in games... i'm interested in them improving.

i'm not sure i did a good job of it but my goal was to point out my perceived lack of creativity in hopes to let it be known that it's going to take more than this to keep people interested... the point wasn't simply to bash.

i mean if people never spoke up about anything and just moved on how would things improve?

i will eventually move on, i just didn't expect the post to get such a response hehe.

also i'll probably even casually play the game since it's free, i haven't completely left it yet... it's a decent time waster if anything, at least for a short time.

one thing i don't understand though is why people seem to be opposed to people expressing themselves on a discussion forum, isn't that kind of the point?

if everyone agreed and everyone just basically said the same thing there wouldn't really be any discussion would there? it's the contrast that allows us to dive into it and get somewhere.

my hopes is that future games will be alot more creative than the effort of this game, this type of thing doesn't keep me mentally stimulated at all and hence i have no real reason to continue on that long, that's all i wanted to say.

a feedback of sorts.

Wha?

Aerowyn gave you a perfect example as to how.

Others run multiple screens at once all the time and bullshit or chat on other venues besides the game they're playing in reference to everything under the sun.

Don't go to forums if all you want to hear is positive shit ad nauseam. Nothing wrong with hearing everyone's perspective from those that enjoy the game to those that don't.

This discussion has been closed.