Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

this game is a prime example of a game you should have fun but don't.

Comments

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    When someone is trying to base their opinion of an ACTION oriented game by reaching level 10 and reading skill descriptions everything is said. Go finish explorable ascalonian catacombs and them we can talk about your mental stimulation. Although it is more akin to a big adrenaline rush.

Nah, thats easy. He should win some sPvP tourneys and solo dominate groups of 1-5 in WvWvW. THEN he can say is it "interesting" or "mentally stimulating". Playing to level 5. lol Without a single trait point, few utility skills at most and probably only starter weapon skills reached.

We all know that first 5-10 levels in any MMO are toughest, most interesting and "mentally challenging". As you go up in levels it just somehow drops...or sumthing ;P

• sxvssxvs Member Posts: 109
    Originally posted by mikahr
    When someone is trying to base their opinion of an ACTION oriented game by reaching level 10 and reading skill descriptions everything is said. Go finish explorable ascalonian catacombs and them we can talk about your mental stimulation. Although it is more akin to a big adrenaline rush.

Nah, thats easy. He should win some sPvP tourneys and solo dominate groups of 1-5 in WvWvW. THEN he can say is it "interesting" or "mentally stimulating". Playing to level 5. lol Without a single trait point, few utility skills at most and probably only starter weapon skills reached.

We all know that first 5-10 levels in any MMO are toughest, most interesting and "mentally challenging". As you go up in levels it just somehow drops...or sumthing ;P

well, see you misinterpreted what i said.

i didn't say mentally challenging, i said mentally stimulating in a creative context.

what that means is i don't need to fight in wvwvw, or fight in any tournaments... or reach end game because that's not the basis for my creative stimulation.

fighting a battle in pvp isn't a basis of creative stimulation, yes.. that migth be more stimulating in a challenging way of trying to defeat your opponents and what not but that's not what i'm speaking about.

even if a battle is challenging that's not exactly stimulating to me if there is no meaning behind it for example.

if i was fighting a random duel with a person just for the challenge of defeating a skilled opponent i wouldn't find that very creatively stimulating.

so, i think you misinterpret what i'm talking about.

i'm talking more depth, complexity, creativity in the lore/meaning... overalll goal or destiny type of thing or reason to progress.

not simply progressing so i can go fight in pvp for example but some greater philosophical meaning behind the obvious.

that sort of thing stimulates me mentally and gives me interest to continue in the progression of things.

this game doesn't have it, you can say you need to reach the highest levels all you wish but i don't see how that will change anything within that context that i just explained.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

@sxvs

What MMO comes anywhere close to this? TSW has some interesting quests, that even get you thinking (and the lore is good), but that's about it that I come up with for examples. Seems like a single player feature to me, as my previous post extended on.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by sxvs

started to play this over the weekend and it's a fairly solid game, especially for having no subscription.

eveything is in place, it looks great.. overall all the tools are there.

but i just can't have fun playing this, one of the main reasons is the complete lack of creativity, i mean this is one of the most base/dull game mechanics i've seen... the same old class system i've been playing since the early 90s with the exception of the engineer which is actually pretty creative in comparison to the rest.

the main issue i have is the lack of creativity in the skills, they are so boring.

i tried almost every class to where i could start purchasing skills to see what they were like and i could've fell alseep at the lack of creativity among them.

so, so very basic across the board... the same paladin/warrior/thief i've seen so many times except not even as good as usual.

and then the horrible system where you create new characters when you try a new class instead of keeping your 1 character so you have to explore all the vistas/points of interest again with your new character.

unfortunate, because it's actually a pretty solid game overall except where it counts.. in the actual part you play with which keeps things fun and interesting.

looks like i'm going back to the secret world which even though has a horrible combat system at least it's creative and solid in most other areas.

a nice effort, but just fell short in my opinion.

a prime example of a game that from all appearances one would think you would have fun with but don't.

I have to agree that the skill system is poorly done. Many skills are very boring and dull.

look at the Warrior class for example. Most of the skills are Signets for weak Passives and dull actives. 

Also the stances are dull skills. Same for most of the shouts.

the banners mechanics is Dull.

so many classes are like this. Lots of boring dull skills for a game that limit the action bar to 10. 

With so few skills, it gets boring during the mid levels, since most of the interesting skills get bought early on, leaving lame skills last and that's not a great motivation to level.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

I have to agree that the skill system is poorly done. Many skills are very boring and dull.

look at the Warrior class for example. Most of the skills are Signets for weak Passives and dull actives. 

Also the stances are dull skills. Same for most of the shouts.

the banners mechanics is Dull.

so many classes are like this. Lots of boring dull skills for a game that limit the action bar to 10. 

With so few skills, it gets boring during the mid levels, since most of the interesting skills get bought early on, leaving lame skills last and that's not a great motivation to level.

warrior is the dullest class in the game imho.. not sure why so many pick one .. but guess everyone has their own preferences

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

started to play this over the weekend and it's a fairly solid game, especially for having no subscription.

eveything is in place, it looks great.. overall all the tools are there.

but i just can't have fun playing this, one of the main reasons is the complete lack of creativity, i mean this is one of the most base/dull game mechanics i've seen... the same old class system i've been playing since the early 90s with the exception of the engineer which is actually pretty creative in comparison to the rest.

the main issue i have is the lack of creativity in the skills, they are so boring.

i tried almost every class to where i could start purchasing skills to see what they were like and i could've fell alseep at the lack of creativity among them.

so, so very basic across the board... the same paladin/warrior/thief i've seen so many times except not even as good as usual.

and then the horrible system where you create new characters when you try a new class instead of keeping your 1 character so you have to explore all the vistas/points of interest again with your new character.

unfortunate, because it's actually a pretty solid game overall except where it counts.. in the actual part you play with which keeps things fun and interesting.

looks like i'm going back to the secret world which even though has a horrible combat system at least it's creative and solid in most other areas.

a nice effort, but just fell short in my opinion.

a prime example of a game that from all appearances one would think you would have fun with but don't.

That's the highlight of Guild Wars 2 endgame.. create alts and do what you already did .. again.

That way, every level is endgame.  Think of it as 1-80 for your first character, but 81-160 for your next.

It's a fun and exciting game, to some.  I don't know these people, but they play it!

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Originally posted by Eluldor

@sxvs

What MMO comes anywhere close to this? TSW has some interesting quests, that even get you thinking (and the lore is good), but that's about it that I come up with for examples. Seems like a single player feature to me, as my previous post extended on.

the secret world is probably the best one out there currently with that in mind...

but unfortunately i thought it let itself down big time with the skill/combat system again, on the outside it appears creative and interesting but then when i actually started to dive into it and get into it i was very disappointed..

but the actual stories/depth/complexity is very solid, no doubt.

and i know people will completely discredit me and probably laugh at me for saying this but warcraft as well. yes i know the bad wrap it gets and everything but there is actually a deep lore/meaning underneath it all, i read alot of the books and followed alot of the backstory and there was alot of interesting things behind it all.

it's just you have to sludge your way through alot of waste to actually get to the interesting parts.. and there is alot of waste.

i'm not saying it completely stimulated me mentally, not even close but it did enough to keep me playing like 6-7 years.

i wanted to progress and get new skills, because they interested me... how it would be applied to me and how i could use it.

really, not many games out there have done it for me... that's why i'm stilll looking for a game. i'm hoping one of these future games like elder scrolls will satisfy me in what i seek.

it's just not there for me with this game, i have no interest to see any future skills or how they apply to me... don't care anything about progressing.

it feels like some generic/dull/boring base rpg character... or i'm watching a really boring movie or something.

but fair enough, i realize many won't agree.

i just wanted to put my opinion out there because that's what a forum is for to express your opinion.

• FunbunsFunbuns Member Posts: 11
    Totally agree with the OP's statements. For me the worst part was the exploration. I find it hard to believe the Q&A team missed the fact that once you've explored on one character your alts would be a nightmare to do it on again.  Most of the abilities seem very generic and lack-luster. And you would think for a game that manages only 10 hotkeyable abilities that they would at least seem more effective, and unique.  Aside from these few important points which pretty much ruin the game for me GW2 is a very solid game. 
  • ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    GW2 affected me this way too my first time playing it. I came back later and started seeing depth in the game that I first thought did not exist. It's a mindset thing I guess.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• Deto123Deto123 Member Posts: 689
    Enjoyed it for a few eeks, then saw the many shortcomings of it. Glad theres EQ2 and good games coming out soon.
  • GhernGhern Member UncommonPosts: 134

I somewhat agree with the OP.

I beta tested the game. I was having fun. At release I was in a guild having a blast with my engineer. Nothing hardcore just taking my time and exploring the world. Dabbling in some WvWvW. 

Somewhere around the 6 week mark of game time something happened. My toon was in the 60's and I completely lost the will to play. I tried logging in and giving it a go but it just wasn't fun anymore. There was no hook that really grabbed me.

I really don't understand. It's a well made game, beautiful world, polished and smooth but something was missing for me.

I am really at a loss to explain it. Like I said, well made game, I am glad some still enjoy playing.

I haven't played in almost 3 months now.

the secret world is probably the best one out there currently with that in mind...

but unfortunately i thought it let itself down big time with the skill/combat system again, on the outside it appears creative and interesting but then when i actually started to dive into it and get into it i was very disappointed..

but the actual stories/depth/complexity is very solid, no doubt.

and i know people will completely discredit me and probably laugh at me for saying this but warcraft as well. yes i know the bad wrap it gets and everything but there is actually a deep lore/meaning underneath it all, i read alot of the books and followed alot of the backstory and there was alot of interesting things behind it all.

it's just you have to sludge your way through alot of waste to actually get to the interesting parts.. and there is alot of waste.

i'm not saying it completely stimulated me mentally, not even close but it did enough to keep me playing like 6-7 years.

i wanted to progress and get new skills, because they interested me... how it would be applied to me and how i could use it.

it's just not there for me with this game, i have no interest to see any future skills or how they apply to me... don't care anything about progressing.

it feels like some generic/dull/boring base rpg character... or i'm watching a really boring movie or something.

but fair enough, i realize many won't agree.

i just wanted to put my opinion out there because that's what a forum is for to express your opinion.

[mod edit]

if you read the books and followed alot of the backstory, yes.. i think it was one of the better ones out there currently.

it certainly completely destroys gw2 in that department, that's for sure.

but that just speaks as a commentary to how lacking overall mmo's are in this department because warcraft isn't exactly the most mentally stimulating creatively and it's still one of the best out there in my opinion which says it all.

one can say alot about the game but certainly one can't say warcraft isn't creative? it's quirky creativity is what kept me playing so long and basically only that, for the most part.

Originally posted by ignore_me
    GW2 affected me this way too my first time playing it. I came back later and started seeing depth in the game that I first thought did not exist. It's a mindset thing I guess.

it does seem very simple at first only 5 skills per weapon set and all that... higher you get more traits you unlock more utility skills you unlock/elites more gear sets you aquire the better you understand the combo field/finisher system, the increasing amount of build combinations you can come up with, the sigils and runes added in as well,  then the more you play you really can  see the depth in this games combat system... simple to get into and play very hard to master

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Originally posted by Thupli

This game is a prime example of great games that are played by burned out MMO players.

News flash, YOU ARE A BURNED OUT MMO.  TAKE A BREAK FROM GAMING.

GW2 is fantastic and very creative.  They solve many problems, even if they do have some issues.

i'll decide if i'm burnt out or not and if it's creative/interesting to me but thanks. i realize not everyone will agree with each other.

i'm not even close to being burnt out, i'm down right now to commit to a game for 5 years of dedicated play if one could actually stimulate me beyond simple outside appearances.

i'm sorry but gw2 is a simple/base/generic game, in my opinion.., if others are enjoying it, well then congrats on actually finding a game to enjoy but i'm still seeking.

You are still seeking because you are burned out.  Tell me, what game have you played the most of and for how long?  Now list the sme thing for a second game.

I bet you won't share the games you have played, for several reasons.

Burned out mmoer is burned out.

Edit.  Oh, wow, you think that wow skills we're stimulating?  Lol.  You know, there is a lot of lore for gw2 if really that's your argument, which it hasn't been from the beginning.  Again, just lol.

This game is a prime example of great games that are played by burned out MMO players.

News flash, YOU ARE A BURNED OUT MMO.  TAKE A BREAK FROM GAMING.

GW2 is fantastic and very creative.  They solve many problems, even if they do have some issues.

i'll decide if i'm burnt out or not and if it's creative/interesting to me but thanks. i realize not everyone will agree with each other.

i'm not even close to being burnt out, i'm down right now to commit to a game for 5 years of dedicated play if one could actually stimulate me beyond simple outside appearances.

i'm sorry but gw2 is a simple/base/generic game, in my opinion.., if others are enjoying it, well then congrats on actually finding a game to enjoy but i'm still seeking.

You are still seeking because you are burned out.  Tell me, what game have you played the most of and for how long?  Now list the sme thing for a second game.

I bet you won't share the games you have played, for several reasons.

Burned out mmoer is burned out.

there is a reason so many gamers are in a mass exodus at the moment, and that's the same reason i can't find a game right now.

i'm not burnt out... there just isn't a current game out there that is interesting/creative enough to keep me mentally stimulated.

i played ff11 for 2 and a half years and i forced myself to quit because i was becoming too addicted to it, i mean seriously addicted i was playing insane amounts of hours on a daily basis, it was getting scary so i basically forced myself to delete my character and destroyed the game, threw away my password, etc.

moved on to warcraft and played since open beta until recently. around 7 years.

played most mmo's that came out in between but none of them kept me interested beyond a few months.

i did quite enjoy eve but i got into it too late and didn't want to get into it that late.

so, really only final fantasy/warcraft/eve has kept me interested over a long period of time.

has nothing to do with being burnt out, i'm desperately longing for a new home that i can settle in and play... a new world to live in, etc.

just nothing is doing it for me, nothing is satisfying.

you say burnt out i say nothing's creative enough to stimulate me... like ffxi/wow was.

i'm not an oldschool mmo player, i started with ffxi/lineage or something around that time.. dark and light perhaps, i can't remember which.. not going to sit and lie and claim that i played everquest 1 and played mmo's since the beginning.

but i love the idea of mmo's i just want something that i can be interested to log in for.

• Clypto75Clypto75 Member UncommonPosts: 70
    [mod edit]

I bet he will. Bahaha, sorry but the events were straight zergfest, the storyline was god awful, didnt feel like there was much character progression, spells were limited yet nothing special at all... seriously, beautiful world and all that jazz - nothing special at all though. Of course this is also my own opinion, if it works for you then great. Wish it did for me.

Not sure if it was this thread or not but when somebody tells me there are no bots in the game then I will show you a game with no future. Bots always seem to follow the money and they always find a way of getting in.

are you going to sit here and say gw2 is moreso or that warcraft isn't creative (just based on mmos) with a straight face?

[mod edit]

only in the context of mmo's and comparable mmo's which i made very clear that it was a sad commentary on mmo's.

there is alot of depth/creativity (not complexity) behind warcraft that people don't give it credit for because it's the cool thing to do to bash it and proclaim that it's the worst mmo ever, etc.

there's been little stories and things added that were about players who died who loved the game and things such as this, inside jokes, references, etc... all types of things that give a greater meaning (those are things that is called creativity), of which you usually felt a sense of greater meaning. when i was in the battlegrounds i felt a pride/meaning fighting, etc.

every time i shapeshifted into my tree form i felt like it was meaningful, etc.

when i played a new class it felt like a very unique experience and meaningful to that class. there was depth/backround to it.

the quirky creativity of the game is unmatched.

whatever, you clearly dislike the game which is fine.. i doubt i'll change your mind.

i agree that currently it's a shadow of what it once was but i will always say it is one of the more creative mmo's currently out there.

i'm not going to be ashamed to admit it or say that's what i think because it's not cool to do so.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    may want to try a mesmer very unique class and you have tons of ways to play them.. i have changed my playstyle completely every ten levels and currently level 62 and still rocking new builds every couple of levels.. really you have a ton of options when you take in to account traits, utility skills and equipment.. and of course which weapon sets you are using.. I also never played an elementalist in any other game like how they play in GW2 especially dagger/dagger

I'm pretty sure I read the same post as you and he said he tried them all , and no game shoud make you wait until near end game to start having fun.   If a class doesnt grab you from the start it's not right for you.

GW2 is not too bad a leveling experience I found it similar to a good single player game (with co-op).  I felt the same way about SWTOR.  But not enough depth to keep me hooked and doesnt posess the immersion I think an MMO needs to keep people around at end game.

Originally posted by snapfusion
    may want to try a mesmer very unique class and you have tons of ways to play them.. i have changed my playstyle completely every ten levels and currently level 62 and still rocking new builds every couple of levels.. really you have a ton of options when you take in to account traits, utility skills and equipment.. and of course which weapon sets you are using.. I also never played an elementalist in any other game like how they play in GW2 especially dagger/dagger

I'm pretty sure I read the same post as you and he said he tried them all , and no game shoud make you wait until near end game to start having fun.   If a class doesnt grab you from the start it's not right for you.

GW2 is not too bad a leveling experience I found it similar to a good single player game (with co-op).  I felt the same way about SWTOR.  But not enough depth to keep me hooked and doesnt posess the immersion I think an MMO needs to keep people around at end game.

who said waiting till end game to have fun?.. i had a blast from level 1 with my mesmer.. all i said is you don't get a ton of options in builds till higher but still have many many viable options as you level

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Spoken like someone who spent no time learning the game. Perhaps like most others you are just way too used to facerolling in games and cant handle learning something new with far more depth.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I'm having loads of fun.

Next.

Sam here. Not sure if the guy was looking for validation or if he jsut felt everyone felt the same way he did.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by jtcgs

Spoken like someone who spent no time learning the game. Perhaps like most others you are just way too used to facerolling in games and cant handle learning something new with far more depth.

it seems like too many people misinterpret the meaning.

it has nothing to do with how powerful the skills are, creativity is within the skills themselves as i've explained.

for example, a simple healing signet i don't think is interesting.

changing "healing signet" to...

ancient medallion: avatar of krieger.

and in the description of the avatar of krieger it explains a little backstory of what krieger is, as it turns out it's a great octopus like creature of the sea, that was once worshipped by a once thriving coastal people but have since vanished.

and it shows a clear picture of this krieger which looks like some sort of octopus.

when activated the avatar appears and bathes you in healing waters or something to this effect.

and maybe even later you find out more of the mythos behind this medallion through quest, which opens up all kinds of other possibilities.

do you see the difference of a simple "healing signet" with nothing else, that does a simple basic heal compared to the avatar of krieger.

and btw who doesn't now badly want to obtain the avatar of krieger! i know i do. :D

it has nothing to do with how powerful the skills are, creativity is within the skills themselves as i've explained.

and in the description of the avatar of krieger it explains a little backstory of what krieger is, as it turns out it's a great octopus like creature of the sea, that was once worshipped by a once thriving coastal people but have since vanished.

and it shows a clear picture of this krieger which looks like some sort of octopus.

when activated the avatar appears and bathes you in healing waters.

and maybe even later you find out more of the mythos behind this medallion through quest, which opens up all kinds of other possibilities.

do you see the difference of a simple "healing signet" with nothing else, that does a simple basic heal compared to the avatar of krieger.

and btw who doesn't now badly want to obtain the avatar of krieger! i know i do. :D

curious what MMO provides an exciting and intersting back story to all specific skills individually?

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Well the OP got to what he meant after answering some questions, now this thread is getting a bit harsh :D

when activated the avatar appears and bathes you in healing waters.

curious what MMO provides an exciting and intersting back story to all specific skills individually?

none, which is why i'm still looking for a game!!!

in fairness it doesn't have to be every single skill, i can understand a couple basic boring skills or else there's no contrast/balance. but what i can't understand is every single skill for the most part being a complete borefest.

This discussion has been closed.