Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A game like this shouldn't have a 15$ a month sub fee

Comments

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by Qallidexz
    Mark Jacobs already confirmed that CU will have a multi-tiered sub system, so I'm not sure why no one's talking about that, instead arguing over whether they want to pay $15 a month or not, which will not be the model anyways, defeating the purpose of this entire thread. lol

True. Let's talk about how that might work. My thought is $4.95/month gets you the right to play one server with 3 characters. $9.95/month gets you 2 servers with 5 characters on each server. $14.95/month allows you to play on all servers with <insert a number of characters close to or equal to the number of total classes per realm> characters per server.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    Originally posted by meddyck
    Originally posted by Qallidexz
    Mark Jacobs already confirmed that CU will have a multi-tiered sub system, so I'm not sure why no one's talking about that, instead arguing over whether they want to pay $15 a month or not, which will not be the model anyways, defeating the purpose of this entire thread. lol

True. Let's talk about how that might work. My thought is $4.95/month gets you the right to play one server with 3 characters. $9.95/month gets you 2 servers with 5 characters on each server. $14.95/month allows you to play on all servers with characters per server.

Hah, that would rock.  I only need one character slot.  I've never been an alt type of player.  Though I think the sub fees might be higher.  Though I dont mind paying a sub fee if the game take all of the cool stuff from DAOC (tab targetting, 3 realms, different races across the 3 realms, keep sieges, relics, stun, mezz, non timed stealth, mins speed, sorc/air theurg speed etc).

But if a lot of those cool things about DAOC get cut out, well that might change my mind hehe.

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Considering there is already another thread talking about this, why is this thread even gettign replies. The OP just wants to troll the CU community.

I prefer having a sub, its a very small price for the kind of entertainment i will get out of the game. Free to play will allow grazers who have zero compunction to stay and contribute, will instill anomosity towards free players who do not help with a communal type game that CU plans to be. If i want to play with asshats i will go play Tera, or the myriad of other Free games avail. 

Yes, a box price and a sub will weed out those players who do not want to make a commitment, yes it will garner more of a mature community, and no it will not kill the game because those of us who want this game are goign to the those who will keep it running. With mark only shooting for 50k sub, it will be easier to avoid the "fail" stigmatism associated with other MMO's.

On a side note... Even though i am being a hypocrit right now.... Don't Feed The Troll.

Lolipops !

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    till the game will be released 15$ wont be much anymore anyway :P

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    I would pay 50 for the box 15/month for a quality MMO. And by that I dont mean your average, flashy, themepark tripe but a triple A virtual world MMO.
  • SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    I sincerely hope it's not f2p. I want to hold CSE to high standards and know that paying subscribers are expecting them to take care of CU and provide content for the community. I want to pay for that service so that I have a voice. I want all the content available to me all the time.

Also, I want CSE to make money. They are, after all, making my dream game (ostensibly.)
  • StilerStiler Member Posts: 599
    Originally posted by Voiidiin

Considering there is already another thread talking about this, why is this thread even gettign replies. The OP just wants to troll the CU community.

I prefer having a sub, its a very small price for the kind of entertainment i will get out of the game. Free to play will allow grazers who have zero compunction to stay and contribute, will instill anomosity towards free players who do not help with a communal type game that CU plans to be. If i want to play with asshats i will go play Tera, or the myriad of other Free games avail. 

Yes, a box price and a sub will weed out those players who do not want to make a commitment, yes it will garner more of a mature community, and no it will not kill the game because those of us who want this game are goign to the those who will keep it running. With mark only shooting for 50k sub, it will be easier to avoid the "fail" stigmatism associated with other MMO's.

On a side note... Even though i am being a hypocrit right now.... Don't Feed The Troll.

Have you played WoW? There are PL:ENTY of immature people that will play a game, regardless of of2p or not, it ha sno bearing or any meaningful impact of it's f2p or sub.

The idea that making something cost money will stop immature people just holds no water.

• tboxtbox Member Posts: 372
    What  I hate about free to play is that  in some games if you want full access to everything and all free to play items the game is more expensive than a  non free to play game.  I don't mind paying for a free to play game if I  like it. I just don't want to pay 10x more than I would for a non free to play game. 
  • kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205
    Originally posted by Onomas
    Originally posted by General_Dru-Zod
    Originally posted by mari3k

I doubt that it will have a 15$ a month sub fee. 

If it will, it will have to close servers in 6 month.... people are not willing to spent money on subs anymore.

This is Bull Sh!t

I agree with Zod.

I personaly would pay 20+$/month for a good game. Problem is people arent willing to pay for the crap cookie cutters and wow clones pouring out of the industry the last few years. Has nothing to do with the pay scale, has everything to do with qualiy of game. Eye candy and fluff 3 week long stories arent cutting it.

+1 So true...

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    I'm always for sub but  10$ would be nice. Just don't go f2p it is for cheap games
  • SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    If you can't afford $15 a month for a hobby you love then you probably need to address far larger issues in your life.
  • HokibukisaHokibukisa Member Posts: 185

A lot of people mentioned low population problems as a reason for not playing daoc right now, and some of the same ones don't seem to care that monthly sub fees drive away a ton of players.

I want a pony?

• SatariousSatarious Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by PerfArt
    If you can't afford $15 a month for a hobby you love then you probably need to address far larger issues in your life.

A Cable bill is worth 6 subscriptions at $15 a month.   MMO subscriptions don't really make that big of a dent in your wallet.  Likely, most of these people who can "only play f2p" are kids who make $5 a week in allowance.  Do we honestly want to drop the average maturity level of the community by allowing f2p?

• SeitrSeitr Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Do some research, Mark has already stated that this game will be subscription based.
  • redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    If the game is good, i'd much rather pay 10-15 dollars a month than some crap mixture of cheaper sub + item shop.  Item shops in general just cheapen the entire feel of the game for me.   I'd rather have one static bill to pay each month without worrying about it.
  • snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

If it will, it will have to close servers in 6 month.... people are not willing to spent money on subs anymore.

Here let me fix that for you, people arent willing to pay 15 dollars a month for a game where you reach max level in 3 weeks and have nothing to do at end game.

But there are millions of people willing to pay 15 bucks a month for a game that has something good to offer for one price.

• wolfhoundswolfhounds Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by Tumblebutz

Well, MJ has stated, in no unspecific terms, the game will be built for the "vast minority."  I would rather see a high subscription fee to facilitate a loyal fan base than a F2P abomination which attracts a bunch of game jumping asshats for a few weeks.

You also need to understand that the game will mainly attract old DAoC players (and when I say "old" I mean literally OLD, like myself) who were raised on subscription based games.  My guess (and it's just a guess, mind you) is that the game will be largely populated by a more mature crowd with jobs and some disposable income.

Players simply do not quit a game they enjoy because the sub fee is too high.  It just doesn't happen.

Exactly.  I'm one of those old DAoC heads, and I'll gladly pay monthly for a reworked MMO (anything but WoW) with realm and server pride.

• TerminusTerminus Member Posts: 8

I am a fan of subscription fees for certain games.

• It is cheaper to pay a $15 a month sub than it is to eat. To me, it is not that much money, especially for a quality game.
    • I like having access to all of the content for one price, including cosmetics, etc.
    • Having a quality game for $15 a month that I play regularly stops me from buying other games that would otherwise fill in the gaps, which has ultimately saved me money in the past.
    For games like LoL, I like their revenue model. It works for that game. I'm not saying subscrption fees are the only way to go for MMOs, but I would not be against a $15 per month fee for this game if it is quality. So far, this game promises literally everything I have been wanting in a game, and they are doing it in the ideal situation: not having a publisher to pressure them into anything and ruining something that could be great.

I'm pretty optimistic.
  • anwaranwar Member UncommonPosts: 108

A good game should cost $50 for the box and $10 a month.

By now they should have enough systems to make developement MUCH easier...forget about pushing the envelope, if you need a larger crew to keep hardcore happy, have special servers for them and charge twice as much. 

Having servers that only cater to normal kinda laid-back players will extend the life of content enormously with little need for repetitious hardcore instances and devs should have no trouble keeping up.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533
    Originally posted by General_Dru-Zod

This is Bull Sh!t

I can't speak for anyone else.  But I'm not paying subs for games ever again. 

I want to own the game I buy.  I want to play it whenver I want.  If I want to take a break for awhile I want to come back if I feel like it.  I do this with every other kind of game I own.  It's about value. 

So I don't care how great a game is, I won't pay a monthly for a game I already paid for.  I'm just not.  Every game that tries a sub fee these days ends up being totally F2P months later. 

So hold on now sub lovers.  Is that what you want?  Do you want to pay a sub for awhile just to see the game go totally F2P months later?  Because none of you seem to like that, except it happens 90% of the time.  The way I look at it, a sub game, is actually a soon to be F2P game.  How's that for logic?  Yea I know there's a few exceptions and there are.  But the danger is still very much there. 

I'm not a F2P guy.  I'm a B2P guy.  I want to pay an up front cost ( I dont care if its 80 or 100 bucks) and then I want to be able to play the game whenever I want.  Period. 

• KinchyleKinchyle Member Posts: 309

Check it out....another post trying to tell devs and game makers what to do.

$40 to $50...hell even $60 for a game...yeah wild prices. Then a $15 monthly? wow....

nothing new to see here...move along.

• CyborWolfTKCyborWolfTK Member Posts: 77

I'd Pay $45-50 a month for a quality game.

Where else could you get this kind of entertainment value?

Take your GF to the movies, and it's atleast 30 bucks, for a few hours at most.

Take her to a theme park, again. atleast 30 bucks, and probably closer to 50, or more. For what?

maybe 8-10 hours tops?

Come on guys. If you can't afford to sub 15-20 dollars a month for 24/7 365 access should you really be playing MMOs?

You might want to consider going back to school for a few years, or atleast 6 months and pick up a trade that allows you to make more money.

Just sayin...

RL needs to take priority over gaming, and if it does for you,

coughing up some chedder for a good game should not be a big deal.

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600

I think they should have went with Abe, at least then it would be something different.

I am personally starting to really hate Kickstarter, everybody and the brother can design a proposal and then just money grab. I think it is a horrible crippling virus to the industry and I will be amazed if we see one successful MMO come from it. Quite frankly, Pathfinder looks awful and you have to wonder about a property that can't even be supported by it's own parent company, not like Paizo is hurting.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599
    Originally posted by CyborWolfTK

I'd Pay $45-50 a month for a quality game.

Where else could you get this kind of entertainment value?

Take your GF to the movies, and it's atleast 30 bucks, for a few hours at most.

Take her to a theme park, again. atleast 30 bucks, and probably closer to 50, or more. For what?

maybe 8-10 hours tops?

Come on guys. If you can't afford to sub 15-20 dollars a month for 24/7 365 access should you really be playing MMOs?

You might want to consider going back to school for a few years, or atleast 6 months and pick up a trade that allows you to make more money.

Just sayin...

RL needs to take priority over gaming, and if it does for you,

coughing up some chedder for a good game should not be a big deal.

It's called marketing, and while many of us could afford 30+ bucks a month for a subscription many people would look at that, compare it to the mmo market as a whole, and laugh and never play the game.

You do want CU to be successful yes? It has to compete against other mmo's, and making the sub cost high is one way to help it go the opposite direction.

It's simple marketing and economics, especially at a tim elike now when many people don't have the luxuries they have had in the past few years with the economy.

I want CU to be a hit, so RVR will be populated. Playing an mmo with a small playerbase is not the same as a full game brimming with people to fight against.

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    edited ..