Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Argatha,Stormwind and Orgrimmar

very long time has passed between vanilla wow and the secret world, however what struck me as both hilarious and a bit sad is some things never change.

Standing in Argatha and standing in Stormwind or Orgrimmar is exactly the same thing.

Bunch of people trying to get into end game raids chasing purple gear, doing dungeons over and over again.

elitist wannabies down to relaxed players.

Would sure like some development into something else like more content to explore, more crafting, housing, building boats etc in mmos.

Rather then the endless endgame grind.

How bout something along the line of bg2 where you first discover the over world and then delve into the underworld  and both worlds with a zillion things to do.

just my 2 cents

Comments

• nottunednottuned Member Posts: 92
    Originally posted by bobm111

very long time has passed between vanilla wow and the secret world, however what struck me as both hilarious and a bit sad is some things never change.

Standing in Argatha and standing in Stormwind or Orgrimmar is exactly the same thing.

Bunch of people trying to get into end game raids chasing purple gear, doing dungeons over and over again.

Would sure like some development into something else like more content to explore, more crafting, housing, building boats etc in mmos.

How bout something along the line of bg2 where you first discover the over world and then delve into the underworld  and both worlds with a zillion things to do.

just my 2 cents

waiting with ya

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    developers poorly design MMOs now days. this could all be solved.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    All three places well worth avoiding.  :)
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Dibdabs
    All three places well worth avoiding.  :)

hard to avoid places of beauty and wonder.image

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

I'm ok with hanging out in cities, meeting travelers on their adventures.

I often wonder where people come from and where they're going.

I'd say: More adventures and more reasons to hang out in cities.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

If the towns were built, staffed and maintained by players.. who would sell gear to or outfit adventurers for a cut of the loot, adventurers who would then have to set off on foot or horseback to parts unknown chasing rumours of bandits, lost ruins, great beasts,etc....

yeah still waiting for that game... and a sandbox Firefly-inspired mmo too...

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by jazz.be

What traveller? They are waiting for the dungeon queues to pop.

just my 2 cents

How about accept that this is fun for those players.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

They would be travelers if there was no stupid instant dungeon teleport. They would be adventurers if they were looking for people to join their group and getting ready to walk/fly/ride to the dungeon.

And besides, not all of them are waiting for dungeon queues. You see lower levels minding their business. You see people crafting. You see people doing their thing on AH etc.

They would be travelers if there was no stupid instant dungeon teleport. They would be adventurers if they were looking for people to join their group and getting ready to walk/fly/ride to the dungeon.

And besides, not all of them are waiting for dungeon queues. You see lower levels minding their business. You see people crafting. You see people doing their thing on AH etc.

And spent 20 min flying to a dungeon for the 100000 times? Most prefer instant dungeon teleport. In fact, if it weren't for the teleport, you won't see so many people .. they would be flying to the dungeons, wouldn't they? And back in those days, only 1 person stay in city so find members, everyone else is flying.

And lower levels are waiting for their queues too. You don't know that dungeon leveling is the fastest in WOW? Sure, people do AH or craft when they are waiting for their dungeon queues.

And spent 20 min flying to a dungeon for the 100000 times? Most prefer instant dungeon teleport. In fact, if it weren't for the teleport, you won't see so many people .. they would be flying to the dungeons, wouldn't they? And back in those days, only 1 person stay in city so find members, everyone else is flying.

And lower levels are waiting for their queues too. You don't know that dungeon leveling is the fastest in WOW? Sure, people do AH or craft when they are waiting for their dungeon queues.

Sure people would craft even if there were no dungeon queues.

And to have one person in the city to find that last person you already need a few people. If you're on your own, you go to a city first and try to find at least 2 or 3 people. Then perhaps you can organize and have one person stay behind. Either way, it doesn't matter since that last person need to travel to, so why bother go ahead.

You don't need to be in a city to wait for your queue to pop up, you can do that everywhere.

• anthony21690anthony21690 Member UncommonPosts: 119

just my 2 cents

I see no anal skill game in the Agartha.  No Anal Stunning Swirl or the likes thank god.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Just the opposite, actually.

When I queue for dungeons, I travel the world doing whatever I want.  That's freedom.

If I didn't have a teleport queue, I would be forced to do the same 10 minute run to the dungeon every time (after spending another 10-30 minutes finding a group.)  That's not freedom.

Honestly I feel these social hubs work just fine in each game, allowing players a chance to take a breather, shop, socialize, and both view and show off gear and mounts.  If everyone was always out in the game world, the game world would actually feel pretty dead compared to seeing 50+ players every time you login.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615

just my 2 cents

Every MMO out todate ends up like this.

The basic MMO Grind Fest:

Step 1) Start at lvl 1 and grind up to max level

Step 2) Grind through end game content for epic equipment mounts and achievements

Step 3) Park yourself in a town and either grind more end game content or grind pvp

Step 4) If your bored start back over at Step 1.

THis has been the stereo typical MMO since Meridian 59 launched in 1996. Its not going to change just because 1 person doesnt like it.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

Originally posted by Axehilt

Just the opposite, actually.

When I queue for dungeons, I travel the world doing whatever I want.  That's freedom.

If I didn't have a teleport queue, I would be forced to do the same 10 minute run to the dungeon every time (after spending another 10-30 minutes finding a group.)  That's not freedom.

Honestly I feel these social hubs work just fine in each game, allowing players a chance to take a breather, shop, socialize, and both view and show off gear and mounts.  If everyone was always out in the game world, the game world would actually feel pretty dead compared to seeing 50+ players every time you login.

You must have misunderstood my point because I totally agree with what you said. In fact I was asking for even more reasons to stay in cities.

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    Originally posted by Dihoru

If the towns were built, staffed and maintained by players.. who would sell gear to or outfit adventurers for a cut of the loot, adventurers who would then have to set off on foot or horseback to parts unknown chasing rumours of bandits, lost ruins, great beasts,etc....

yeah still waiting for that game... and a sandbox Firefly-inspired mmo too...

The Firefly comment aside (not because I don't want one but rather because it's not the point here) I pretty much agree with Dihoru.

If you are going to build a game that, at least to some extent, encourages gathering in a central location between "adventures" then that location should offer players something more active to engage in.  Staples such as "real" player housing, player run shops or any number of Dihoru's suggestions would make standing around waiting on a queue clogging up chat with useless banter a lot more enjoyable.

Don't get me wrong, WoW's system absolutely allows ones to do other things while waiting in the queue, that is not in question.  But the fact it doesn't actually activately encourage you to do so is part of the problem.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    There is trade chat, guild spam and random naked guy too as long as lfg end game content spam and also random spam.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    Originally posted by emperorwings
    There is trade chat, guild spam and random naked guy too as long as lfg end game content spam and also random spam.

Case in point ^

• SasamiSasami Member Posts: 326

Well most people live in cities, I think most people just like to hang with people. Yes, I agree modern MMOs should have more stuff to do as long as they are fun. Most of stuff you mention like crafting, exploring and housing aren't really fun or anyway social unless you have some friends. Game developers need to look these and think how can they make them social and group strangers together much like group instances have done.

Troll thread to be honest, same old "I don't like gear grind", get over it and play another game then.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

You must have misunderstood my point because I totally agree with what you said. In fact I was asking for even more reasons to stay in cities.

Well you can certainly just put more gameplay into the city to achieve that.  More tradeskill or politics/intrigue gameplay, just to bounce ideas around.  Really anything that doesn't conflict with the pre-existing purpose to the city (for example if one of the functions of cities is to allow players to take a breather, then city gameplay cannot ever be some mandatory thing you must react to: like defending it from an attack.  Otherwise the city ceases to serve its role as the player-determined whitespace of gameplay.)

Definitely would like to see more games take a stab at a Vanguard-style diplomacy feature or Shattered Galaxy-style politics (with an actual democratic election), both of which would fit perfectly as new types of city gameplay.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver