Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

this game is a prime example of a game you should have fun but don't.

started to play this over the weekend and it's a fairly solid game, especially for having no subscription.

eveything is in place, it looks great.. overall all the tools are there.

but i just can't have fun playing this, one of the main reasons is the complete lack of creativity, i mean this is one of the most base/dull game mechanics i've seen... the same old class system i've been playing since the early 90s with the exception of the engineer which is actually pretty creative in comparison to the rest.

the main issue i have is the lack of creativity in the skills, they are so boring.

i tried almost every class to where i could start purchasing skills to see what they were like and i could've fell alseep at the lack of creativity among them.

so, so very basic across the board... the same paladin/warrior/thief i've seen so many times except not even as good as usual.

and then the horrible system where you create new characters when you try a new class instead of keeping your 1 character so you have to explore all the vistas/points of interest again with your new character.

unfortunate, because it's actually a pretty solid game overall except where it counts.. in the actual part you play with which keeps things fun and interesting.

looks like i'm going back to the secret world which even though has a horrible combat system at least it's creative and solid in most other areas.

a nice effort, but just fell short in my opinion.

a prime example of a game that from all appearances one would think you would have fun with but don't.

Comments

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

Thanks for sharing.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    may want to try a mesmer very unique class and you have tons of ways to play them.. i have changed my playstyle completely every ten levels and currently level 62 and still rocking new builds every couple of levels.. really you have a ton of options when you take in to account traits, utility skills and equipment.. and of course which weapon sets you are using.. I also never played an elementalist in any other game like how they play in GW2 especially dagger/dagger

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

[mod edit]

But yeah I somewhat agree with you. It was fun for a while but in the end it is the same old, same old you seen a million times before but in a new shiny package. I too found the skills bland and boring and the so called heroic skills, or whatever they are called, was quite underwhelming.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    The PvE becomes painful after awhile. It has a lot of polish but it's really not all that much fun to play. The WvWvW is what keeps most people playing.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    The classes didn't bore me so much as the game itself, where you felt like you weren't progressing but instead waiting for end so you could play a different game.
  • sxvssxvs Member Posts: 109
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    may want to try a mesmer very unique class and you have tons of ways to play them.. i have changed my playstyle completely every ten levels and currently level 62 and still rocking new builds every couple of levels.. really you have a ton of options when you take in to account traits, utility skills and equipment.. and of course which weapon sets you are using..

i tried it for awhile but looking over the skills and such it seemed pretty boring to me... i guess i would agree like the engineer it's fairly unique but i don't think it's nearly as creative as the engineer.

when i played the engineer i actually was having fun because it felt like there was alot of creativity there, the others i tried (everything except necro) i found completely uninteresting.

mesmer i would agree, would probably have been 2nd but not enough to keep me interested, i only saw maybe 1-2 skills i was looking forward to getting in the skill calculator.

i don't see it, there's only a few weapon skills with weapon changes and utility skills correct? they stay the same throughout? or do they change somehow as you level higher? i looked over all the utility skills in the skill calculator and tried a bunch fo first tier ones with most classes and only a few i found interesting, mainly engineer.

but even with engineer i wasn't having enough fun to keep me going... the storyline is so basic and horrible for example i had 0 interest in progressing through it.

i guess from reading other threads of people the fun part of the game is world vs world vs world which fair enough, but for me there needs to be more substance in the creative portion of the game to keep me mentally stimulated.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Zekiah
    The PvE becomes painful after awhile. It has a lot of polish but it's really not all that much fun to play. The WvWvW is what keeps most people playing.

Im the exact opposite.  I felt the WvW was kind of boring and the zones are to small and too open with not enough choke points and ambush spots.  Loved the PvE areas and still is the only reason why I log in.  Just running around exploring old zones I hadn't visited in months.  Currently revisting Brisban Wildlands on my Guardian and having some fun.  Just wish the loot and gold accumalation was worth it.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

I'm having loads of fun.

Next.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    I agree with you, to a degree. I enjoy Engineer and Mesmer but the rest are fairly mediocre with the exception of the Necro, which is abysmal.  I much prefer the Guild Wars 1 Necro and, overall, the Guild Wars 1 skill/spell system itself.
    Originally posted by sxvs
    may want to try a mesmer very unique class and you have tons of ways to play them.. i have changed my playstyle completely every ten levels and currently level 62 and still rocking new builds every couple of levels.. really you have a ton of options when you take in to account traits, utility skills and equipment.. and of course which weapon sets you are using..

i tried it for awhile but looking over the skills and such it seemed pretty boring to me... i guess i would agree like the engineer it's fairly unique but i don't think it's nearly as creative as the engineer.

when i played the engineer i actually was having fun because it felt like there was alot of creativity there, the others i tried (everything except necro) i found completely uninteresting.

mesmer i would agree, would probably have been 2nd but not enough to keep me interested, i only saw maybe 1-2 skills i was looking forward to getting in the skill calculator.

i don't see it, there's only a few skills with weapon changes correct? they stay the same throughout? or do they change somehow as you level higher? i looked over all the utility skills in the skill calculator and tried a bunch fo first tier ones with most classes and only a few i found interesting, mainly engineer.

here's an example of how I leveled my mesmer so far levels 1-15 I played greatsword/staff focus on direct damage and shattering my clones, 15-25 I played a condition build mostly based around staff and phantasms little shattering, 25-35 I played sword/focus with greatsword focusing on burst damage, 35-50 I played sword/torch with staff condition dfocused build with a lot of stealth options, 50-60 i switch to scepter/focus and staff and made a confusion based build, At 60 i switched to sword/focus and staff and rocking a mix of condition and burst from shatters.. you can decide if you want to build around shattering or phantasm damage with a lot of variations of the two

once you get to 40 you open up a TON of options for most classes through traits and utility skills.. once you hit 60 it opens up a lot more and at 80 obviously you get full reign to do anything you want.. people who think the system is shallow or has few options simply because of a lack of weapon skills really have not tried many options with the trait loadouts, differn't utility skills and differn't gear loadouts.. you have a ton of ways to play every class.. and you can easily look on youtube and see tons of builds for every class and tons of ways to play them.

I also have a mantra build i'm working on now that focuses on heals and is a great support build

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346

> Bash GW2 willy nilly in shitloads of CU threads

> make topic on GW2 board claiming to just now have tried the game out 

i don't see it, there's only a few skills with weapon changes correct? they stay the same throughout? or do they change somehow as you level higher? i looked over all the utility skills in the skill calculator and tried a bunch fo first tier ones with most classes and only a few i found interesting, mainly engineer.

here's an example of how I leveled my mesmer so far levels 1-15 I played greatsword/staff focus on direct damage and shattering my clones, 15-25 I played a condition build mostly based around staff and phantasms little shattering, 25-35 I played sword/focus with greatsword focusing on burst damage, 35-50 I played sword/torch with staff condition dfocused build with a lot of stealth options, 50-60 i switch to scepter/focus and staff and made a confusion based build, At 60 i switched to sword/focus and staff and rocking a mix of condition and burst from shatters.. you can decide if you want to build around shattering or phantasm damage with a lot of variations of the two

once you get to 40 you open up a TON of options for most classes through traits and utility skills.. once you hit 60 it opens up a lot more and at 80 obviously you get full reign to do anything you want.. people who think the system is shallow or has few options simply because of a lack of weapon skills really have not tried many options with the trait loadouts, differn't utility skills and differn't gear loadouts.. you have a ton of ways to play every class.. and you can easily look on youtube and see tons of builds for every class and tons of ways to play them.

I also I have a mantra build i'm working on now that focuses on heals and is a great support build

i see what you're saying and how you can play slightly different and change it up but that's not nearly enough to stimulate me mentally.

i looked over all the skills in the skill calculator and tried out the ones you pick first tier, it's not like it's so advanced that i can't see how it applies

my point was the lack of creativity among the skills, like a paladin summons an arcane sword/arcane axe/arcane bow... boooooooooring.

a thief's poison/traps, boooooooring.

rangers pets only interest me in the water, the rest of the pets/skills = boooooring.

the warrior, same old battle standards/shouts and what not = boooring.

i mean it's so base and dull.

here's the one i was looking at, it shows all the utility skills and weapon skills

http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#mcR

and only 1-2 seem creative/interesting enough to stimulate me mentally the rest are the most boring/basic things you could come up with for the same old classes.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

the main issue i have is the lack of creativity in the skills, they are so boring.

All weapons have different skillsets is kinda creative for a MMO, but if you find that boring then sure its boring for you but dont say it's not creative.

The skills in itself is arguable at best due to personal opinions.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

I also I have a mantra build i'm working on now that focuses on heals and is a great support build

i see what you're saying and how you can play slightly different and change it up but that's not nearly enough to stimulate me mentally.

i looked over all the skills in the skill calculator and tried out the ones you pick first tier, it's not like it's so advanced that i can't see how it applies

my point was the lack of creativity among the skills, like a paladin summons an arcane sword/arcane axe/arcane bow... boooooooooring.

rangers pets only interest me in the water, the rest of the pets/skills = boooooring.

here's the one i was looking at, it shows all the utility skills and weapon skills

and only 1-2 seem creative/interesting enough to stimulate me mentally the rest are the most boring/basic things you could come up with for the same old classes.

only class I find really boring is warrior while tons love it.. great thing about opinions everyone has there own.. i like gw2 approach more than most other MMOs where you use the exact same skills with every single weapon.. where's the variety in that?

also in gw2 I can change playstyles completely all the time I can go from a melee machine to a ranged condition nightmare to a healing support  character just like that.. you have a lot of flexabilty on how you play the classes

Originally posted by Rthuth434

> Bash GW2 willy nilly in shitloads of CU threads

> make topic on GW2 board claiming to just now have tried the game out 

cu threads? not sure what that is.

yes i did play the game at launch but i stopped playing after a very short time. i think i only levelled 2 characters to 15 at that time.

i just now went back to the game and tried it again to give it another shot, and it wasn't a bashing post just my impressions/opinion.

that's the point of a discussion forum no?

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by sxv

a prime example of a game that from all appearances one would think you would have fun with but don't.

+1

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

The epthimote of mental stimulation - press 1 or 2 to build resource then press 3 or 4 to spend resource.

Ah and that arcane bow can remove conditions, can trigger combo fields or can be sacced to deal aoe damage, or that shield can be sacced to cause weakness or the sword can be sacced to cause AoE damage.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Originally posted by Torgrim

All weapons have different skillsets is kinda creative for a MMO, but if you find that boring then sure its boring for you but dont say it's not creative.

i didn't say the method wasn't creative i said the skills themselves weren't creative to where they stimulate me mentally and keep me involved and having fun, wanting to continue to play.

i'm ok with the weapon method of skills attached to the weapons and being and able to switch out and stuff, that's decent enough and i can work with that but what does that help if there's nothing interesting to attach to it?

the weapon skills are so generic/and not creative that's the problem, and the utility skills.

(except with engineer).

and the story, and crafting.... the exploring maps is decent.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

this game is a prime example of a game I should have fun but didn't.

This post is a prime example of a post I think is an opinion and still is.

Lolipops !

i didn't say the method wasn't creative i said the skills themselves weren't creative to where they stilumate me mentally and keep me involved and having fun, wanting to continue to play.

i'm ok with the weapon method of skills attached to the weapons and being and able to switch out and stuff, that's decent enough and i can work with that but what does that help if there's nothing interesting to attach to it?

the weapon skills are so generic/and not creative that's the problem, and the utility skills.

(except with engineer).

Yeah, skills that can be used for doing multiple things are soooooo booooooring.

Much better if it is build resource while dealing damage and then deal damage single target with side effect or another skill that deal damage aoe with side effect.

Oh wait while stating that TSW has an horrible combat system you play it instead of GW2 because GW2 has an horrible combat system.

Ah ok.

Originally posted by Voiidiin

no crap, doctor house.

of course it's my opinion. haha. how'd you solve that mystery through occam's razor?

i didn't say the method wasn't creative i said the skills themselves weren't creative to where they stimulate me mentally and keep me involved and having fun, wanting to continue to play.

(except with engineer).

not sure what you are looking for.. but for example my mesmer on focus has an ground line cast spell that creates a combo field if I hit that button again it pulls any enemy within range through the field towards me.. the other skill on focus summons a phantasm that repels any projectiles on top of doing massive aoe damage to any mobs nearby.. the sword mainhand has a nice invulnerabilty attached to the main attack then the second attack causes you to distort(making yourself invincible) while causing massive amounts of damage to all those near me.. and the last skill for sword shoots a clone at the target and when I hit the button again I trade places with the clone and root the enemy for a short duration... just a couple examples but pretty creative imho and that doesn't even get into utility skills or elites

also you gotta look at combo fields and finishers and you can make lots more combos with your own skills using those

• gimmesomegimmesome Member Posts: 362

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Category:Weapon_Skills

*just sayin.   It was done before.   Not original.   Not a bad idea either, however, FFXI did it better and it's 10+ years old...

More flavor.   More charm.  More aesthetic.  More Soul. 

Originally posted by Voiidiin

no crap, doctor house.

of course it's my opinion. haha. how'd you solve that mystery through occam's razor?

It is like this.

Some players like 1 game. Others like another game.

Some even like both.

But one game sold 1/10th and is played by 1/10th of the other, maybe your view of fun isn't very general.

(except with engineer).

not sure what you are looking for.. but for example my mesmer on focus has an ground line cast spell that creates a combo field if I hit that button again it pulls any enemy within range through the field towards me.. the other skill on focus summons a phantasm that repels any projectiles on top of doing massive aoe damage to any mobs nearby.. the sword mainhand has a nice invulnerabilty attached to the main attack then the second attack causes you to distort while causing massive amounts of damage to all those near me.. and the last skill for sword shoots a clone at the target and when I hit the button again a trade places with the clone and root the enemy for a short duration... just a couple examples but pretty creative imho and that doesn't even get into utility skills or elites

i'm looking for mental stimulation through creativity.

like alan moore's run on the swamp thing the level that he took it, something deep/complex.. mentally stimulating.

not blocking an attack for 6 seconds and i i push the button again it sends out a shock force that knocks foes back that's called "force shock" for example, snooooooooooooze!

i need more depth, more creativity... more stimulation to keep me having fun/interested.

this game has the depth, complexity, creativity of something like the kardashions when i need the walking dead.

This discussion has been closed.