Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If a purely player-driven MMO were to come out, would you play it?

12346»

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by LoverNoFighter
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    No rather have a mmo built by professionals. Judging by all the whining in general, this doesn't always turn out for the best for the gamers.

Would you drive a car built by drivers rather than engineers?

Would you want an alcoholic running your local?

Would you want someone who's been in hospital a lot performing surgery on you?

Probably still turn out 1000x better than MMOs built by amateurs.

• shingoukiehshingoukieh Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Originally posted by ragz45
    Originally posted by h0urg1ass

A lot of people don't give EVE more than a few hours before quitting.  It's because EVE doesn't have a learning curve.  It has a learning cliff and there are people standing at the top of it waiting to kick you back to the bottom just when you think you've learned something.

Actually I quit even within an hour.  Not because the game was too hard or anything else.  But the combat was borring as hell to me.  I wanted to be able to control my ship like a flgiht sim.  Not just tell it to orbit targets and fire.  I understand there is a lot of tactic's to EVE and it's not as simple as that.  But I wanted the ability to play like a flight sim, doing barrel rolls etc.

That's a huge reason I'm really excited for Star Citizen.

u have to think that the ships in eve arent like a F-15 or a fighter jet...they are big vessels...in the realm of science fiction most big ships just sit there and fire stuff

Originally posted by shingoukieh
    Originally posted by ragz45
    Originally posted by h0urg1ass

A lot of people don't give EVE more than a few hours before quitting.  It's because EVE doesn't have a learning curve.  It has a learning cliff and there are people standing at the top of it waiting to kick you back to the bottom just when you think you've learned something.

Actually I quit even within an hour.  Not because the game was too hard or anything else.  But the combat was borring as hell to me.  I wanted to be able to control my ship like a flgiht sim.  Not just tell it to orbit targets and fire.  I understand there is a lot of tactic's to EVE and it's not as simple as that.  But I wanted the ability to play like a flight sim, doing barrel rolls etc.

That's a huge reason I'm really excited for Star Citizen.

u have to think that the ships in eve arent like a F-15 or a fighter jet...they are big vessels...in the realm of science fiction most big ships just sit there and fire stuff

STO does capital ship combat way better. You have to care about facing, and turn rate. You have skills to do temporary buff or heal. It does not have to be sit there and fire stuff.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

STO does capital ship combat way better. You have to care about facing, and turn rate. You have skills to do temporary buff or heal. It does not have to be sit there and fire stuff.

STO doesn't do combat "way better", it just does it differently and in a more arcadey manner. STO's combat is the only remarkable thing that the game pulls off, but it wouldn't be appropriate for a game such as EVE (which has been described as more "Captain Picard" style versus "Han solo" style.

There was some talk from the devs years ago about the possibilty of having more "control" over some of the smaller ship classes such as Interceptors, but by and large, the ships in EVE are just so gargantuan that arcade style combat doesn't make sense.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

In an RPG there really needs to be some construct as far as combat goes...  Like healthbar and skills.  MAYBE they can allow players to create their own skills and conditions, but there needs to be good rules set up to control this and keep it from getting retarded (aka, a player-run approval board ala potbs 3d shipwright models).

Then you need some sort of karma system, flagging system, or some way to differentiate griefers from regular players.  I don't mind if anyone can attack anyone, but when players take advantage of their higher level/gear/skill to execute players who have no interest in PvPing then that needs to be handled somehow via gameplay.

If we had those two things then I would be pretty happy with any other sandbox features you can throw at me!!  If all quests were player made, im all for it!  Hell even if all the NPCs are player made that is fine with me too as long as there is strict quality assurance guidelines to prevent players from creating shitty content (again, a player-run approval board, etc).

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

Originally posted by Cecropia
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

STO doesn't do combat "way better", it just does it differently and in a more arcadey manner. STO's combat is the only remarkable thing that the game pulls off, but it wouldn't be appropriate for a game such as EVE (which has been described as more "Captain Picard" style versus "Han solo" style.

There was some talk from the devs years ago about the possibilty of having more "control" over some of the smaller ship classes such as Interceptors, but by and large, the ships in EVE are just so gargantuan that arcade style combat doesn't make sense.

It is not about speed (ships in STO does not go that fast), it is about depth and what you can do with it.

In Eve (at least for "early" game pve missions), there is very little. You put in max range automatically, and click firing missles .. that is it. There is no use of skills like attack patterns, no considerations like energies for shields, no facing mechanics (in fact, turning in STO can be quite slow, pretty much similar to a capital ship in the tv show).

Eve combat is not fun to me because it has little depth, little skills and mechanics, not because it is slow.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Another note a game like that couldnt exist unless it was like server based where people host servers and with a cap of like 200 or so....

How So?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704
    Originally posted by Nitth

Another note a game like that couldnt exist unless it was like server based where people host servers and with a cap of like 200 or so....

How So?

He is probably imagining it like minecraft or something.  The mistake there would be that minecrafts limit is driven by the ability for everyone to edit terrian, limited resources, limited space, and poor multiplayer code arcitecture.  As long as a MMO does not have these problems then it could home many more than 200...  For example: SWG.

I don't think any of the sandbox players on mmorpg.com want a sandbox on the level of minecraft.  At face value, we want something with more RPG.  We don't need to tear apart the ground or build our cities tiny brick by brick.  As far as world building goes, some imagine something like the Sims where you can model your own house wall by wall, but most of us would be satisified choosing from preselected groups of houses and simply getting to choose the location of the house in the world.

Some of us also want something even deeper creatively than minecraft; there are some sandbox players who want to contribute their 3D modelling and 2D art.  They would not be satisfied by the constrictions of minecraft's building blocks.  For these people, a more elaborate vetting system would need to be in place (probably via the game's forums).  But still, this would not have to be capped at 200 players.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500

If it was developed by really GOOD company with big budged and great ideas and developers team.

Than maybe :)

P.S.: AND MUST BE P2P OR B2P.

• VanhallaVanhalla Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Thorbrand
    Called Xsyon but no one wanted to play it.

I have not play any of the other 'player-driven' games that were mentioned. Well, except for Eve, but I don't believe that was truly player driven. I have played Xsyon which is 100% player drive.  You start out with pretty much nothing save for basic knowledge of gathering and such.  As people play, technology advances and the world gets bigger untill eventually the entire world opens up and technology is comparable to today. Everything you have is actually earned, built by you.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Players tend to act like asshats when given any sort of control, unfortunately.  

You make me like charity

• UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521
    No.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Yes and there's one coming already ^^ :  http://strt.cc/?ref=c2lsdmVyMV9Xb2xmMkB5YWhvby5jb20_

Yes asshats are required because asshats exist in real life... but once I establish my Imperium of Man <.< there will be penalties for harming His Majesty's servants... quite severe ones.

• znaiikaznaiika Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by Vanhalla
    Originally posted by Thorbrand
    Called Xsyon but no one wanted to play it.

Everything you have is actually earned, built by you.

I disagree with restrictions they started to implement, that make's xsyon boring.

I can't play boring games.

If it is player driven? then a player should be able to do everything, no restrictions.

Originally posted by asmkm22
    Players tend to act like asshats when given any sort of control, unfortunately.  

And most cannot create anything interesting anyway.

• xDracxDrac Member UncommonPosts: 201

I would totally play one actually. Would be very interesting and I would love having to do what MMOs of today simply give you without any effort. I would like it if players would need to become merchants instead of having NPC Merchants who are available to you 24/7 etc. Oh boy, that would be cool.

Web & Graphic Design - www.xdrac.com