Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] WildStar: The Arkship’s Wicked Weekend

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Last weekend marked an important turn in the development of WildStar as the team continued revealing more about the game and asked for player input. We had boots on the ground during Arkship 2013 and have a full report. Keep reading and then leave your thoughts in the comments.

There will be no coddling, no hand holding, no ring through the nose leading of players from one zone to the next. Carbine is going out of its way to erase all such notions from its fans’ minds. We’ve often heard the statement “play the game your way” but most game makers touting such things rarely make good on the comment. Not so of Carbine. From my experience with WildStar, there is great truth to the promise the dev team has made.

Read more of Suzie Ford's WildStar: The Arkship’s Wicked Weekend.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    And I didn't think I could possibly get any more pumped about this game.  I really hope this thing launches this year as planned.  If not, ... well I'll just wait until they're done.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726

Very similar to other post-Arkship reviews due to that pesky NDA.  Though all seem to be equally impressed.  I have to say I'm "guardedly excited" about WS too.  I like most of what I'm reading but like you said, we've seen all this before. 

Not sure if you're allowed to answer this.  I know you said players won't miss out on lore or story by skipping some of the tired-old quest hub but what about some decent starting gear?  Will players still get equally rewarded by doing other things? I think seeing screenshots of exclamation points and question marks might scare some off. 

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • Zap-RoboZap-Robo Member UncommonPosts: 233

For those who haven't seen the other reviews, check the official WildStar Wednesday update for Arkship

I can't describe how difficult it feels for us to keep tight lipped about features we know the community wants to know about!

--
    Admin @ http://wildstar-central.com/
    ZapRobo (PlanetSide 2) | Zap-Robo (The Secret World)
    @Master Zaprobo (City of Heroes) | Zaphod@Zap-Robo (Star Trek Online)

I've heard that everybody favorite part of the weekend was [REDACTED], [REDACTED] and who could forget the [REDACTED].  I wish I could have been there.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

Originally posted by Roxtarr
    I've heard that everybody favorite part of the weekend was [REDACTED], [REDACTED] and who could forget the [REDACTED].  I wish I could have been there.

Lol, so true!  Keeping fingers crossed for beta invite.  I would love some more details on the path system. 

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    It does look like a lot of hand holding in the game to me. I really hope it ends up like they say and it isn't but I won't hold my breathe. If the housing is good enough, I may play just for it.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878

"guardedly excited" is pretty much my state with WildStar as well.

I've been following it for a while and it sounds like they are making all the right moves, but until I see some more concrete detail on various systems (character progression, itemisation, zone / world size) I'll continue to follow at a distance.

I know I'll probably get in trouble for this, but I'm kinda hoping WildStar turns out to be a sort of WoW 1.6 version 2. Also, 'genre game changer'... intrigued.

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    I know this will probably be fixed by release, but on a number of occasions when I would jet pack jump into a jagged area on the side of a mountain, I would get completely stuck.  Other than that it was kind of fun to play.  Kind of hard for me to get used to jet pack jumping and shooting.  Hopefully, from what I see on the video, there is more than one way to get around so this will not be an issue for me.  Love the look of the game, especially at night time.
    Originally posted by nuttob
    I know this will probably be fixed by release, but on a number of occasions when I would jet pack jump into a jagged area on the side of a mountain, I would get completely stuck.  Other than that it was kind of fun to play.  Kind of hard for me to get used to jet pack jumping and shooting.  Hopefully, from what I see on the video, there is more than one way to get around so this will not be an issue for me.  Love the look of the game, especially at night time.

This article was about Wildstar, not Firefall.  <3 Firefall tho - hope they have a good beta

• JenuvielJenuviel Member Posts: 960
    The Arkship coverage, limited as it's been in details, actually caused me to register for the beta (which I never do). The receptiveness to feedback that the developers, programmers and artists have all apparently demonstrated during the event is really intriguing. Active interest in outside ideas is very exciting! Sure, not every idea is a good idea, but the impression I've gotten from reading the various Arkship pieces is that they're applying criticism to see if it fits; if it doesn't, they'll put it aside and move on to the next idea. That's something I'd like to be a part of in whatever way I can.  I'm cautiously optimistic about this one.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

The one thing that makes me highly wary is NCSoft.

Their quite brutal willingness to kill games off even when profitable makes me not want to touch this with a barge pole.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

The team told us that the best quests are hidden in places that will take dedication and good luck to find.

Sweet, sounds like we'll be getting  some great exploration :)

• mattatbestmattatbest Member Posts: 13
    I haven't read up to much about this game but the comments section I always filled with people kind of hyping this game up a bit.

As someone who loves mmo's and hasn't seen or read much of this game... What are some things about this game that seem so great?
  • IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by mattatbest
    I haven't read up to much about this game but the comments section I always filled with people kind of hyping this game up a bit.

As someone who loves mmo's and hasn't seen or read much of this game... What are some things about this game that seem so great?

Better off reading up yourself instead of getting "hyped" answers for your feedback. I believe the article explains several reasons itself :) I can list some features though:

Mix of themepark and sandbox. Paths that allow concentration on non-combat gameplay, settlements, housing, science. Combat seen as mix of WoW/GW 2, more action based. Huge diversified world with actual exploration.

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

They say no hand holding.....yet the entire combat system revolves around the monsters telegraphing exactly what they are going to do and all you need to do is step out of hte red box.

They say no handholding, yet each zone has a progressive series of quests that lead you to the end area of the zone, which then leads you to the next level zones.

Quest hubs, NPCs with exclamation points over their heads....etc.

Maybe they mean there is no hand holding as an actual emote?

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    One of the things that I am most looking forward to is the lore and quests in this game because from all the trailers it seems like this is one of the first MMOs that has a very good grip on humor. I am hoping that the humor isn't just in the trailers but also transends into the game also.

Smile

• RogoshRogosh Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Originally posted by Skuz

The one thing that makes me highly wary is NCSoft.

Their quite brutal willingness to kill games off even when profitable makes me not want to touch this with a barge pole.

I wouldnt be to worried NCSoft is just the publisher not the developer. WS looks like the real deal that alot of us have been waiting for. Give me this and EQNext and im a happy camper.

"Its better to look ugly and win than pretty and lose"

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

When I hear "completely new" then I know there is trouble. You want to kill this game - keep on with the "completely new" vein. There are only a couple of different ideas that I see, one or which is the Path system.  Wildstart will NEVER be able to get away with the WOW clone tag simply because the art style looks like WOW.  I am saying this from one who REALLY wants this game.

Other troubling signs - combat is more work. I want to play an mmo not a console game. Looking back at the Wildstar videos I noticed a number of references to "just like console games". Seems that Carbine is leaning more on the console side than the mmo side. Along this line - "lets make combat more difficult so that our game is not considered sissy". Thus the addition of nearby mobs piling up on you in combat. I have had enough of this in GW2 and the reason I quit my Ranger. Pet classes are going to get slammed by this.

Then there is the "we will not hold your hand" mantra. I am happy that Wildstar is not a controlling as SWTOR but going the GW2 way for making most quests invisible until found is not going to work in a two faction system. I am amazed that no one (that I know) has picked up on this. The reason why GW2 gets away with hiding their quests is that you can level in ANY race's area and that you are downleveled when you go into a lower level area. You can get experience in any level and area of the map. With 5 (? - have not been on in a while) races, let me tell you this idea really works. You have SO many places that you can level.

I feel like a manic depressant on this game. Last week I was sky high. This week I am down in the dumps again.  Contrary to the OP admiration for Carbine releasing more information closer to release, I see the same hype trail as with SWTOR. Then again, I am most to blame on this. Just like SWTOR I REALLY want this game but I think that I do so because of what I am imagining it will be like. I have to rein in my enthusiasm and be, like the OP said - "guardedly excited". 

• GeldarionGeldarion Member CommonPosts: 1

We should be cautious in saying anything, as we are under NDA, but "no hand-holding" is their goal. At the moment, they have some quest hubs and such (which is great for new players), but they have a lot of quests in the world to be discovered later if you go off the beaten path.

The telegraph system is cool, but it doesn't hold your hand. If I said to you, "first I am going to have this sniper shoot you, then that mine there will explode, then I will toss a hand grenade at you, and then an airship will rain bullets down on you" you probably wouldn't be able to avoid all of this without some skill, even though I told you what was going to happen.

Who said the red box has to be a rectangle anyway? ;)

Originally posted by Geldarion

We should be cautious in saying anything, as we are under NDA, but "no hand-holding" is their goal. At the moment, they have some quest hubs and such (which is great for new players), but they have a lot of quests in the world to be discovered later if you go off the beaten path.

The telegraph system is cool, but it doesn't hold your hand. If I said to you, "first I am going to have this sniper shoot you, then that mine there will explode, then I will toss a hand grenade at you, and then an airship will rain bullets down on you" you probably wouldn't be able to avoid all of this without some skill, even though I told you what was going to happen.

Who said the red box has to be a rectangle anyway? ;)

Well put.  There is a misconception that telegraph = easymode.  Which couldn't be further from the truth.  That's why raids have been using some kind of telegraph system for years.  Just Carbine is making it a regular part of combat throughout the game world.  What it does do is make players focus on the action instead of just staring at hotbars. 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    NDA nowadays is a red flag for me. It either means it doesn't work, or there's not enough. Blame on last year.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • jtravisjtravis Member UncommonPosts: 24
    And all for yet another game with an unceremonious NCSoft axe in the future. No thanks. Never again.
    Originally posted by Rogosh

I wouldnt be to worried NCSoft is just the publisher not the developer. WS looks like the real deal that alot of us have been waiting for. Give me this and EQNext and im a happy camper.

Carbine Studios is a development studio that is wholly-owned by NCSoft. So was Paragon Studios. Yes, doing a little research will tell most people that they have every reason to worry.

Originally posted by bcbully
    NDA nowadays is a red flag for me. It either means it doesn't work, or there's not enough. Blame on last year.

So every game in development sends up a red flag for you? NDAs are a normal part of the development process.