Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lets figure out why we aren't playing DAoC for it's RvR today.

This is actually pretty fkn important. DAoC is still up and running, with lots of players on the servers that are still up.
There is a good community with lots of helpful people to guide you to the endgame plus the player guides.
It still has the most polished and fulfilling RvR.
You can level and attain everything through RvR including ToA.
Most ToA imbalances have been fixed.
The keeps towers and bridges all got an overhaul and look amazing.
Classes and races are all unique, most with distinctly different playstyles.
No bind on pickup/equip nonsense. (99% of things at least)

Yet something keeps most of us from getting back into it and keeps us speaking of it in past tense.

I think we need to figure out why this is the case, because a lot of what is promissed for CU and asked for by interested parties is still perfectly available.

I think its worth figuring out what would get us interested in playing DAoC again. Not only that but getting most of the old guard reinterested in it.

Comments

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

i stopped playing DAoC for one simple reason.

it was focused around RvR, and my pc was abit too slow to cope with the players displayed.

other players unfortunately dont lag when you do, and keep moving and hitting and whatnoting *G*

therefor.. i played sth else, displaying less players at once :P

when i had a faster pc again and wanted to come back, my old guild changed games and actually the engine was abit tooooo old by then (took me some time hehe)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• SyrixIISyrixII Member Posts: 43

I'll make this simple for you. At least it was simple for me... Too much PvE infiltraited it's way into the RvR. Mainly via ToA expansion. Then the came EA and it's over simplification to appease the masses and "modernize" daoc. I don't get it... If the game was good enough for all those years, why change so much of what was great about it?

• iamthekilleriamthekiller Member Posts: 93
    I would say it's mostly thanks to people and their rose tinted glasses....gamers are just like that, everything that came before is always better. I see people licking wows nether regions over stuff the community cried so hard about in Vanilla...remembering a time before dungeon finders when people had to shout on servers forever...or 60 min+ pvp ques...back then there was nothing but calls to expidite the process...now its all "WAHHHH BLIZZ Y U KILL CUMMUNITY><><><QQ"....I expect it's very similar for DAOC, people remember it fondly because it was new and exciting....GW2 emulated DAOC and it flopped HARD and FAST..rose tinted glasses....
  • OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376

1. Character Control - After playing more recent MMO's, I absolutely cannot go back to DAOC. The controls feel very sluggish.

2. PvE - I don't want to do it to level up. At all. I didn't mind it in the glory days of DAOC, when you could group at all levels and every zone was packed with people. But they've since added a bunch of instanced crap, and everyone just solos.

3. Tired of it - Years of playing a game tends to make you burnt out on it.

• DeathTrippDeathTripp Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by Hokibukisa
    This is actually pretty fkn important. DAoC is still up and running, with lots of players on the servers that are still up.
    There is a good community with lots of helpful people to guide you to the endgame plus the player guides.
    It still has the most polished and fulfilling RvR.
    You can level and attain everything through RvR including ToA.
    Most ToA imbalances have been fixed.
    The keeps towers and bridges all got an overhaul and look amazing.
    Classes and races are all unique, most with distinctly different playstyles.
    No bind on pickup/equip nonsense. (99% of things at least)

Yet something keeps most of us from getting back into it and keeps us speaking of it in past tense.

I think we need to figure out why this is the case, because a lot of what is promissed for CU and asked for by interested parties is still perfectly available.

I think its worth figuring out what would get us interested in playing DAoC again. Not only that but getting most of the old guard reinterested in it.

I think this is a great topic as well. But many players do you really think there are?

I think there are probably less than 1000 the majority of the time, and that means around 333 people for each realm; considering the vast expanse that is each realm, that's really low population.

So I'll say my reason for not playing DAoC anymore is mainly the small population.

-----------------------------
    Real as Reality Television!!!

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    i never played DAoC beyond the free trial. Im not interested in those old graphics even if it was free. I would play it if they remake the game with new graphics. But dont forget to add PvE progression.... lots of it

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Most of the people playing there have been playing forever. I tried to get my wife to play it and every map at lower levels are ghost towns. Most people who want a new char just get power leveled by a friend in a few days and have a set of top end player made gear waiting for them so no reason to do any dungeons as well. They want an influx of players they need to change that. 

Graphics are out of date and the RvR is awesome but frankly the mechanics behind it are outdated and does better in other games. DAoC could be reborn and be #1 in open world RvR again but the game needs to be reborn.

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570
    This is one game I never tried in it's hay day. I did the trial some time ago... and I know graphics aren't everything, but the graphics are just too dated. I couldn't get beyond that I'm afraid.
  • Deto123Deto123 Member Posts: 689
    Simple, I hate NF. I loved the chokepoints in OF and I despise towers. Big mass battles for keeps I liked, not all over the place with towers. TOA I could care less about now, as it s easy as hell to get MLs and arties and leveled.
  • SpikeXSpikeX Member UncommonPosts: 76

Some mis-information posted here about current DAOC

1.  There is one server ywain

2.  You can level 1-50 in battlegrounds extremely quickly.  You can make 50 in less than a week on any character.  Not a week playing time mind you.  A week of 3-4 hours a day playing.  And it can be done quicker than a week.  My last character I did in 3 or 4 days.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by Hokibukisa

Looks old, feels old. Also new players will not look for old games with zero marketing budget, they'll hop into WoW or some other game which spams commercials at you even when you sleep, or into something that just got released.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Maybe, just maybe, RVR for RVR's sake is pretty boring over the long term.  Perhaps the real appeal of DAOC in it's glory days was directly tied to it's PVE content as well, with each complementing the other.

There are (IMO) many reasons for the "perfect storm" that made DAOC great in its heyday, and the RVR content was only a part of the equation.

I'm suspecting that standing all by it's lonesome in CU it will not be nearly as engaging to a broader audience, and more to the liking of players who PVP "for the heck of it" (vs those who fight for cause or economic gain)

We'll see. 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

Maybe, just maybe, RVR for RVR's sake is pretty boring over the long term.  Perhaps the real appeal of DAOC in it's glory days was directly tied to it's PVE content as well, with each complementing the other.

There are (IMO) many reasons for the "perfect storm" that made DAOC great in its heyday, and the RVR content was only a part of the equation.

I'm suspecting that standing all by it's lonesome in CU it will not be nearly as engaging to a broader audience, and more to the liking of players who PVP "for the heck of it" (vs those who fight for cause or economic gain)

We'll see. 

True to a point, seeing as how there are different types of gamers who all have different interests.  However, CU has already labeled itself as a niche game catered to a niche audience.  It's not looking to be a AAA themepark.  So stating it's going to fail due to this is not only redundant but it's also beating a dead horse.

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

I would keep it installed if it were F2P (with some sort of cash shop) or $5/month subscription fee. $15 a month is too much.

I actually have always liked the graphics, quite a bit more than most other mmo's I've come across (even new ones).
  • BrohimeBrohime Member Posts: 34

The very low population is the main reason I don't play anymore. 

Also the interface is very clunky and hard to get used to if you come back (especially after a 5 year break haha).

I played DAOC within this last year and found myself sooo behind in gear and skills that I couldnt find groups in level 50 RvR. Nobody seemed interested in helping and it was just overwhelming. However, I ended up playing some of my old Thidranki twinks for about 4 months. The rvr was still great but the downfall was the very low population.

I'll post some reasons that I believe DAOC isn't as popular as it used to be, some already have been said.

1.  Competetive 8v8 has long died out.  

2.  Solo RVR has died out

3.  Mostly what you have on ywain is stealth zerg and visible zergs.

4.  Still somewhat needing buffbots if you really want to minmax, depending on your rvr type that can bump you to $30 or $45 a month.

5.  Having to maintain 30 buffs up at a time, watch 10 min buff timers, swap items for procs, etc, Is very old school and annoying.

6.  Dated graphics and animations.

7.  Feels clunky and slow when compared to modern games

8.  Falling population is a perception issue which leads to a slow but continual spiral of death.

9.  Competition from a free classic OF server that has 800+ at peak.

10.  Lack of updates / new content

Still my favorite MMO of all time and I played many before and after DAOC.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by SpikeX

We'll see. 

True to a point, seeing as how there are different types of gamers who all have different interests.  However, CU has already labeled itself as a niche game catered to a niche audience.  It's not looking to be a AAA themepark.  So stating it's going to fail due to this is not only redundant but it's also beating a dead horse.

Two points, first, I did not say it would fail, I said it would not be engaging to a broader audience, which is another way perhaps of saying catering to a smaller niche.

But the question is how small a niche? EVE caters to a small niche of 400K subs, that sounds pretty good if that's the case.

DAOC probably has less than 10K subs right now, that certainly doesn't sound too good, let's hope CU does much better than that.

Keeping in mind one thing, PVP centric games tend to excel when the player populations are strong.  DAOC is down to one server, from a heyday of at least 12 or more.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• General_Dru-ZodGeneral_Dru-Zod Member Posts: 136

We'll see. 

Amusing..

People are still insisting that PvE is needed in CU so lets get the facts out there.

ToA intruduced PvE style raiding which hurt the game .. Why because raiding was need  to PvP

The PvE was mostly done in Daoc to level up characters for PvP .. thus the /level 20 (and /30 for certain servers)

Darkness falls was great, Why? because of the tombs you got from PvE? NO because when you gained access you could wipe out the opposing realm still fighting within DF .. in addition the experience was better in DF why? because it was a PvP zone.

People camped dragon scale zone ... why? for PvP .. dragon scale had some of the best armor.

• HokibukisaHokibukisa Member Posts: 185
    I don't know how valid these things i'm about to list off are, because I'm projecting what I've felt about it in the past.

1) Feeling of being at a disadvantage and unable to compete with people that have been playing the same characters and group setups for years.

2) Having enjoyed the awesomeness of Gareth ruleset (classic no ToA) for a long time, the new reintroduction to ToA was like biting into a shit filled twinkie. I still don't like MLs and everyone is running around as either a shade, a frog, or a wolf. But these are arbitrary opinions and others are perfectly fine with it.

3) For those that haven't played for a very VERY long time, finding the community might be intimidating.

4) Though there are people that will literally drop everything they're doing and help out a new or returning player, you'll probably never find them. There is a new /advice channel, but the only way to learn about it is to see someone else use it.

5) I still miss old frontiers and I die a little bit everytime I watch and OF rvr video.

6) Fuck fighting underwater. Seriously whatever dumb disease mythic caught then they though fighting underwater would be cool spread over to the GW2 team and infected them as well. I still love you witters~

7) Leveling characters, while its fun progressing, daoc is not a satisfying soloing game and most people are already leveled up. While there are people willing to help you, again good luck finding them if you haven't played in a while.

8) Finding a group. I want to find a group but I don't want to spam region chat.

9) I'm out of practice and will be the weakest link in the chain.

From my perspective, there is initial apprehension at every turn. Compare the difficulty of some of these things with WoW where you can dungeon finder all the way to 85.

While I don't want a dungeon finder, I can very much appreciate it as a social tool, even if it causes us to be less social.
    To find a group in daoc, you must first either advertise to the entire world that you're looking for a group, or know where the most common places are where people hand out to find groups and selectively query different people if they're looking for and extra guy.
    I wish there were a good balance between dungeon finder and no social tools at all.

Some problems the community must solve, but there are roadblocks and intimidating barriers that social tools could take care of without making everyone anti-social.

I think if theres anything that CU most succeed at, its cracking social, and not the fucking buzzword by integrating with facebook and twitter.

• tleartlear Member Posts: 142

Why I do not go there  now? Because realm pride is dead and burried. It has been dead for years. This was the best thing in DAOC. 

Why I quit originally? After taking a hiatus to Shadowbane when I played both games I came back full time. Then.. TOA came, I could handle the pve (after all my next game was Lineage 2 and the grind does not scare me, even TOA grind is a oke in comparison to L2) what pissed me off what all the completely broken shit they put in. Playing with a full morphed group put me over the edge, like into the absolute rage territory. I unsubbed and have not been back since. Honestly I would not mind the grind, if all the stuff they put in was not so broken.

While I was playing the game I might have been pveing once a month to get cash? Rst of the time I was either: doing an 8 man, solo patrolling or sometimes leading zerg(maybe once a week).

Also I made a new video recording of other players and the new buildings in new frontiers recently, 1920x1080, all graphics to the max, catalyst center overriding and injecting 24x smart AA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd7OAz8a548

Pay attention to the scenes when I'm not moving, youtube's encoder makes pretty much anything with movement in it look low res

• morfidonmorfidon Member Posts: 245

1) Lack of action

2) Dead realm pride

3) Stupid classes like warlocks

4) Too much PvE

That's all this game was almost perfect... but damn there is almost nobody online nowdays. This game needs also graphic update.

Originally posted by tlear

Why I do not go there  now? Because realm pride is dead and burried. It has been dead for years. This was the best thing in DAOC.

Ahh realm pride. I participated and loved it, but after fighting the same enemies for a long time, its hard to keep hating them. :P

If anything, realm pride will always be a temporary feature, and won't last beyond the first couple of years.

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
  • erkzulerkzul Member Posts: 16

I play on Uthgard, it's not perfect mind you, but it's really fun.

It's a freeshard server running classic DAoC, with old fronteirs and no expansions (they are working on implementing SI).

It's old school DAoC - slow leveling, minimal quests, no minotaurs, and there is even a Herald on their site.

Population on it is around 800-1000 on peak hours.

It's a German server but there are guilds from all over the place, including NA.

http://uthgard.net/ if anyone is interested.