Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sounding more like WoW every day

Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346

Much like Rift, this game is sounding more and more like World of Warcraft with a slightly different set of instanced features tacked onto it.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/wildstar-arkship-answers-community-questions/

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

WOW did not have housing or dyed armor

and none of the questions asked about what players can do at endgame

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by Rthuth434

Much like Rift, this game is sounding more and more like World of Warcraft with a slightly different set of instanced features tacked onto it.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/wildstar-arkship-answers-community-questions/

Nope not at all.  

Does the game sound like an MMO?  Yep.  Does it have a very different combat system than any current MMO? Yep.  Does it have its own feel and style?  Yep (well kind of a rip off of ratchat and clank but...).  Does it have tab targeting?   Nope.  Player housing?  Yep (will have to see if its house instance or area instance)

Sounds like it could stand out.  I don't think 40 man raids is a good idea, hated it back in classic wow and will hate it now.  But the combat looks very interesting     

• BoldynBoldyn Member Posts: 265

WOW first mmo!

Wait...what? Seriously the horse is stone dead, I mean it ain't getting up. Can't even make a burger out of it. Flies even avoid it.

So stop beating it allready!!

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Hmm

Housing

Q: Is housing instanced? And exactly how are there house battle zones going to work?

A: Housing is instanced. The War Plot system is the “housing” battle system.

Q: Is housing mobile? Will it be like UO where certain spots were coveted for being near good mining?

A: Housing is instanced.

Q: Can I attack someone else’s house?

A: Not currently.

Q: What kinda of stuff can we add to our houses ?

A: All the things – even functional items.

Kind of disappointing.  The housing trailer made it look like housing would be un-instanced, on floating islands, where you could visit and inspect others property - even friends if you knew their address / coordinates in the 3D sky.

That would have made the game interesting for me, despite me not liking the hand holding combat system.

The trailer did have weaponized islands though, so I guess that is the future plans of attacking another house.  Very odd that a potentially cool system isn't being talked about, just a snippy "not currently."   I guess house vs house (HvH? lol) is going to be instanced also in some kind of arena battleground .. disappointing.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• UkihaUkiha Member Posts: 58
    OH MAH GAH' WoW CLONE!!!!
    Originally posted by Karteli

Hmm

Housing

Q: Is housing instanced? And exactly how are there house battle zones going to work?

Q: Is housing mobile? Will it be like UO where certain spots were coveted for being near good mining?

Kind of disappointing.  The housing trailer made it look like housing would be un-instanced, on floating islands, where you could visit and inspect others property - even friends if you knew their address / coordinates in the 3D sky.

That would have made the game interesting for me, despite me not liking the hand holding combat system.

The trailer did have weaponized islands though, so I guess that is the future plans of attacking another house.  Very odd that a potentially cool system isn't being talked about, just a snippy "not currently."   I guess house vs house (HvH? lol) is going to be instanced also in some kind of arena battleground .. disappointing.

How is it hand holding combat?  I would think that tab targeting was hand holding, not this combat were all abilites are skill shots.  Telagraphing the attacks could be a good thing or a bad thing.  It really depends on how diffiuilt it gets.    

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    Originally posted by Nadia

"...with different instanced features tacked onto it"

endgame = 20/40 man raids, long since confirmed.

game = pve questing, dungeons and battlegrounds structured exactly like WoW's. endgame = raiding. lots of phasing and instancing used.

• iamthekilleriamthekiller Member Posts: 93

Nobody should be surprised.....they will never make housing public..let alone let you attack/raze others houses. People would cry hard if they had their houses destroyed by people and games these days just don't include that type of element...very few anyway. Just my opinion on that.

• Zap-RoboZap-Robo Member UncommonPosts: 233

Leaving aside GameBreaker.tv's lack of attribution to or permission from WSC (where we collated the community questions, had them answered at Arkship and then published them on our site [and not GBTV]) to use our content, these questions were all generated by the community.

There were some answeres that were still under NDA and Carbine requested we not publish, and some features that were just not demo'd.

Edit: GBTV have pulled their article, you can see the original here: http://wildstar-central.com/index.php?threads/arkship-2013-community-questions-answered.1371/

--
    Admin @ http://wildstar-central.com/
    ZapRobo (PlanetSide 2) | Zap-Robo (The Secret World)
    @Master Zaprobo (City of Heroes) | Zaphod@Zap-Robo (Star Trek Online)

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

No.

Longer answer. No.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

Originally posted by TheYear1500

Hmm

Housing

How is it hand holding combat?  I would think that tab targeting was hand holding, not this combat were all abilites are skill shots.  Telagraphing the attacks could be a good thing or a bad thing.  It really depends on how diffiuilt it gets.    

Well if you think that a mechanism telling you exactly where not to stand so no damage will be taken is not hand holding, then I'd hate to actually see your definition of hand holding.

Seriously, would you rather watch and learn from a mobs animations and different attack types to become immersed, or would you rather just stare at the ground and play a jumping game to not stand in the red stuff, while mindlessly spamming a rotation.

I imagine it does get difficult, but it becomes less about a RPG and more about Frogger with it's current design.  Frogger got challenging too, but it was still always the same.  Stuff in Wildstar may change, but I'm just going off of gameplay videos - and it looks very uhh simple.  It's less about each fight being different, and more about just mastering how to monitor changing, though repetitive red patterns on the ground between you and a mob.

• aerinndisaerinndis Member Posts: 67

I hate the term WoW-clone to the point that I almost immediately discredit anyone who uses it. It's thrown around so arbitrarily that it means nothing any more.

The only thing about WS that remind me of WoW is the choice of bright/cartoony art style. Some people will think every game is a WoW clone, no matter what.

Hmm

Housing

Well if you think that a mechanism telling you exactly where not to stand so no damage will be taken is not hand holding, then I'd hate to actually see your definition of hand holding.

Seriously, would you rather watch and learn from a mobs animations and different attack types to become immersed, or would you rather just stare at the ground and play a jumping game to not stand in the red stuff, while mindlessly spamming a rotation.

I imagine it does get difficult, but it becomes less about a RPG and more about Frogger with it's current design.  Frogger got challenging too, but it was still always the same.  Stuff in Wildstar may change, but I'm just going off of gameplay videos - and it looks very uhh simple.  It's less about each fight being different, and more about just mastering how to monitor changing, though repetitive red patterns on the ground between you and a mob.

Because any MMO that does have visual telagraph attacks is hard?  LOL.  Oh and i said what i thought was hand hold combat or did you not bother to read my post?  Tera -easy, GW2-easy.   By adding indicators on the ground they add the options of mobs having random effects,  that attacks could be different, each time they are done.  This is of corse if they do that.  Oh and it is not possible to watch the animation of every single char on the screen.  By adding indicatores on the ground they can do much more complicated events.   

Hmm

Housing

Because any MMO that does have visual telagraph attacks is hard?  LOL.  Oh and i said what i thought was hand hold combat or did you not bother to read my post?  Tera -easy, GW2-easy.   By adding indicators on the ground they add the options of mobs having random effects,  that attacks could be different, each time they are done.  This is of corse if they do that.  Oh and it is not possible to watch the animation of every single char on the screen.  By adding indicatores on the ground they can do much more complicated events.   

You are very emotional about this.  I was only relaying what I observed from exterior gameplay videos.  I think telegraphing is a really lame MMO mechanic.  I don't like Tera of GW2, so involving them is neither here nor there.

The attakcs on the ground might be different.  OK normall they are red circles or cones, but sometimes they might be orange?

I'd rather see nothing on the ground, and be able to visually cue what is going on with what is currently happening.

Relying on the ground queues just to know what is going on is pretty lame.  Sorry.  Lame.

Hmm

Housing

You are very emotional about this.  I was only relaying what I observed from exterior gameplay videos.  I think telegraphing is a really lame MMO mechanic.  I don't like Tera of GW2, so involving them is neither here nor there.

The attakcs on the ground might be different.  OK normall they are red circles or cones, but sometimes they might be orange?

I'd rather see nothing on the ground, and be able to visually cue what is going on with what is currently happening.

Relying on the ground queues just to know what is going on is pretty lame.  Sorry.  Lame.

Not emotional about it at all.  Not sure why you would need to say something like that anyway, as it has nothing to do about the subject at hand.  All it does is show how childish you are.   Oh well.  

And that is your opinion.  I gave examples of games that have visual cues and they are easy and "lame".  I would rather they make complex fights and attacks knowing that the player will have to react to everything that is happening and not just what they can see.  This lets the Dev create fights that you just can't when the player has to see every "tell".  Also since this combat is all "skill shots"  and not tab targetting at all it makes for a much more complex combat.  It could be very fun heal or tank again when you have to aim all your abilities.

For example they show a mob that disappers and charges in multiple different areas.  You could not have a visual cue for that as the mob is moving too fast and disapears to do it.  But with this combat you can do it.  Not only that but you can make it faster, hit harder, and even random if you so wish.  With ground cues it is possible to make attack much more random, makeing it so that you have to know their abilities more than just mimorizing a fight like most MMO's do.  

Now will the combat be complex or even good?  No idea, that will be up to the Dev.    

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Yeah, cause having dyed armor totally makes something not a WoW clone.

Just like Rift isn't a WoW clone because it has Rifts, right?

Originally posted by DavisFlight

I think the problem is that people don't understand what "clone" means.  Rift is not a clone, it has a lot in common with wow  (and many other MMO's that came out before WoW) but on the other hand it also does some very cool things that wow does not due.   SWtOR on the other hand was a direct copy of wow, hell most of the abilities are the exact same before they changed them.  Every time some one calls a game a WoW clone i will call WoW and EQ clone.  Just so you know WoW was not the first MMO.    

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    It's a standard themepark, folks.  If you grown beyond themeparks like a lot of us have, then it's probably not going to be your game.  There's a market for it, I guess, but I'm not it.  I demand more player driven and emergent gameplay.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Isn't this game a ThemePark? That makes it by definition like WoW as that game created the sub-genre.
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Isn't this game a ThemePark? That makes it by definition like WoW as that game created the sub-genre.

WoW did not create the theme park.

WoW created WoW. And the sub genre that stemmed from it, is WoW clone. A genre games like Rift, LotRO, AoC, and SWTOR fall into.

GW2 is a themepark without being a WoW clone.

I think the problem is that people don't understand what "clone" means.  Rift is not a clone, it has a lot in common with wow 

If by a lot you mean, every single design aspect of the game except for classes, and rifts, which instead were cloned from Tabula Rasa.

Come on, Rift is the most obviously WoW clone-y game to come out in like 6 years.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

WoW created WoW. And the sub genre that stemmed from it, is WoW clone. A genre games like Rift, LotRO, AoC, and SWTOR fall into.

I never heard the ThemePark therm used before WoW. If you have some resource showing that then please show me.

And GW2 is quite similar to WoW. Class based afair with linear quest based leveling system (yes dynamic events are disguised quests) and also quite casual and easy to level as WoW. Even got PvP zones, and just like WoW the PvP is pointless.

Also observe that I did not use the therm WoW clone. I said "like WoW". But it was actually a question because I am not sure this game is a ThemePark or not.

I never heard the ThemePark therm used before WoW. If you have some resource showing that then please show me.

And GW2 is quite similar to WoW. Class based afair with linear quest based leveling system (yes dynamic events are disguised quests) and also quite casual and easy to level as WoW. Even got PvP zones, and just like WoW the PvP is pointless.

Also observe that I did not use the therm WoW clone. I said "like WoW". But it was actually a question because I am not sure this game is a ThemePark or not.

Classes work quite differently than they do in WoW. The quests themselves are VASTLY different, as is the non instanced PvP. Being casual != WoW clone, though it is a piece of the formula.

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

Question is...WOW of which year??

The game is transformed since Vanilla, it's not the same game anymore.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by jazz.be

Question is...WOW of which year??

The game is transformed since Vanilla, it's not the same game anymore.

Some of this rote has been a constant for nine years.

Does accuracy matter when there are holiday traditions involved? Grandma reads them to us every Christmas! The Grinch gives us special tips on Keeping The Family Grudge Alive!

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.