Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm sad that WildStar will be just another hamster wheel game :(

2»

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by funcon
    nice that the world will be seamless, but housing and bg's

Not sure the reason why but my guess is it has to do with Warplots. Also player housing in the open PvE world turns into a mess. SWG is just the case when it comes to that. Huge player made cities taking over the maps that later turn into ghost towns as people switch servers or leave the game. As for BG, thats how all BG work, in their own zone or they would be called open world PvP. I personally like it when MMOs have both.

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by DeVoDeVo

The game was not even on my radar until I read these words from the developer:

"Solo end game content is both very important and almost completely underserved in the genre," he said, arguing that around 60 percent or so of MMO players play alone. Despite this tendency, he said, "on average, solo content sucks. It's daily quests or crafting grinds or reputation grinds, and it's pretty tough to make a fun grind."

Now, that certainly is going against the “hamster wheel” norm for MMOS.  I mean, soloers at endgame are usually met with no content, gated or treated like trash.  So, now this game has my interest and I’ll continue to watch its development.

There a lots of other features that are non-hamster wheelish. Like raids that change week to week with the maps dynamicly changing. Player housing that you can change the world around your house not just the house. Being able to make a Warplot (guild hall) you can take to war in some type of PvP battle (no more info then that yet on how it works) Over 1/2 the devs are working on end game content right now. Most games dont do that till close to release. OP are you trolling?

I think its pretty obvious that the OP either prematurely hates WS or is interested in it but too lazy to read anything on the website. Either way, good luck with that.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by TheYear1500
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by Dogblaster

Its sad that you judge the game based on this ... Instanced, not instanced it doesnt matter that much. There are by far more important things that matters in mmorpg that this. And If its well executed it wont be even noticable that its instanced.

Perfect MMORPG for who? You? Everyone?

NOTHING IS PERFECT for everyone.

Even if everyone loved every single thing about that mmorpg, there will always be someone who dont like it.

Also there is no perfect job, car, girl, etc. Its all about personal preferences, taste, priorities. For you Archage might be perfect, for some EQ, for some WoW. For me neither of these are perfect and wont be, either they have ugly gfx (And I didnt buy 7970 lightning to play ugly mmo) or the gameplay dont fits me.

For me .. Perfect mmorpg will be FF XIV. A realm reborn

P.S.: I hope you/we all find THAT one pefect mmorpg where we last for years! Good luck all guys :)

I'm sorry, who elected you President of what is important and what is not?  I really can't stand posters like you who try to dictate what is a valid or invalid complaint.  He could be disappointed in the goofy cartoon graphics and be perfectly valid for doing so.  You know why?  Everyone has different tastes and different wants and needs out of their entertainment and gaming.  What you want out of an MMO is no more important than what he wants out of an MMO.  Personally, I have a problem with the current trend of over-instancing in MMOs.  It breaks immersion for me and it creates artificial walls between players and really is the antithesis of a shared open world where people can mingle freely.

Wow you fail at reading.  That was his point.  While there can be a perfect mmo for an individual player there is no such thing as a perfect mmo, as everyone have different game aspects at the top of their importants list.  Again since you fail at reading, he even says that people have different preferences.  

I think he (Vorthanion) was spot on. The person who replied seemed to have some kind of "right" to tell the OP that he should not, not like the game because the aspect that the original poster thinks is a big deal, is in fact not. Like he holds the truth about what is or is not important.

Then he goes on ranting about no universally perfect MMO where it was quite obvious that the original poster was talking about what he thinks would be the perfect MMO.

So I agree with him, I also dislike posters who dictate to you what you can or cannot complain about. They have some kind of condascending attitude which I cant stand.

Originally posted by Yamota

Its sad that you judge the game based on this ... Instanced, not instanced it doesnt matter that much. There are by far more important things that matters in mmorpg that this. And If its well executed it wont be even noticable that its instanced.

Even if everyone loved every single thing about that mmorpg, there will always be someone who dont like it.

Also there is no perfect job, car, girl, etc. Its all about personal preferences, taste, priorities. For you Archage might be perfect, for some EQ, for some WoW. For me neither of these are perfect and wont be, either they have ugly gfx (And I didnt buy 7970 lightning to play ugly mmo) or the gameplay dont fits me.

P.S.: I hope you/we all find THAT one pefect mmorpg where we last for years! Good luck all guys :)

I'm sorry, who elected you President of what is important and what is not?  I really can't stand posters like you who try to dictate what is a valid or invalid complaint.  He could be disappointed in the goofy cartoon graphics and be perfectly valid for doing so.  You know why?  Everyone has different tastes and different wants and needs out of their entertainment and gaming.  What you want out of an MMO is no more important than what he wants out of an MMO.  Personally, I have a problem with the current trend of over-instancing in MMOs.  It breaks immersion for me and it creates artificial walls between players and really is the antithesis of a shared open world where people can mingle freely.

Wow you fail at reading.  That was his point.  While there can be a perfect mmo for an individual player there is no such thing as a perfect mmo, as everyone have different game aspects at the top of their importants list.  Again since you fail at reading, he even says that people have different preferences.  

I think he (Vorthanion) was spot on. The person who replied seemed to have some kind of "right" to tell the OP that he should not, not like the game because the aspect that the original poster thinks is a big deal, is in fact not. Like he holds the truth about what is or is not important.

Then he goes on ranting about no universally perfect MMO where it was quite obvious that the original poster was talking about what he thinks would be the perfect MMO.

So I agree with him, I also dislike posters who dictate to you what you can or cannot complain about. They have some kind of condascending attitude which I cant stand.

I also dislike it when poster quote a source and say it says one thing and it dose not. PvE world is 100% one seamless world with no zones. As for the hamster world running in circles, WS is far from. Even raids are dynamic and will change from week to week. You can do the same raid a week later and it wont be the same. How hamster wheel is that? Player made PvP maps, how hamster wheel is that? PvE world has the same tools where the story will dynamicly change the world, how hamster wheel is that? <<<eye roll>>>

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500

OP  said: ''It just seems that no one can make the perfect mmo.''

This sentence is what I was replyeing to. He didnt say: ''It just seems that no one can make the perfect mmorpg FOR ME'' If he did say this, I wouldnt even reply. But he did not so thats why I told him that some mmorpgs that he dislikes are maybe perfect fo someone else. And mmorpg which he thinks are perfect are hated by others ... so yeaaaa

By the way, I am not the president of what is important and what is not .. I am just Master of the universe.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

I also dislike it when poster quote a source and say it says one thing and it dose not. PvE world is 100% one seamless world with no zones. As for the hamster world running in circles, WS is far from. Even raids are dynamic and will change from week to week. You can do the same raid a week later and it wont be the same. How hamster wheel is that? Player made PvP maps, how hamster wheel is that? PvE world has the same tools where the story will dynamicly change the world, how hamster wheel is that? <<>>

Anything not open world pvp, with instanced bullshit where your crap can never be attacked, is a hamster wheel because the game is made knowing it will have to continually offer you stuff to do, IE grind, because you never lose anything, you can never be thrown back to the starter level because of a few poor choices. If any of you are under the illusion that Wildstar will be anything other than an extremely refined themepark game (which is a hamster wheel, all of em are that) then I cannot wait for the first month after release to see all your tears. Sorry if this seems harsh but you people need to see the game for what it is and what it isn't and Wildfire is a hamster wheel, you will only get vertical, positive, progression in-game whereas a non-hamster wheel game has 360 degree progression (you can ascend any way you like or equally and more importantly descend).

OP  said: ''It just seems that no one can make the perfect mmo.''

This sentence is what I was replyeing to. He didnt say: ''It just seems that no one can make the perfect mmorpg FOR ME'' If he did say this, I wouldnt even reply. But he did not so thats why I told him that some mmorpgs that he dislikes are maybe perfect fo someone else. And mmorpg which he thinks are perfect are hated by others ... so yeaaaa

By the way, I am not the president of what is important and what is not .. I am just Master of the universe.

Hello Bleeding heart Cloud ^^.

• aerinndisaerinndis Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by emikochan
    Originally posted by aerinndis
    Originally posted by emikochan
    hmm I thought the settler path was all open world stuff. If that's not the case I am now sad.

It is. The settler path has nothing to do with housing.

Well what can you actually build, if not settlements?

You *do* build up (or upgrade) hubs out in the open world. That is separate from personal housing. Settlers can buff other players (specific examples given are building picnics and campsites), improve quality of vendors in quest hubs, improve the structures in towns, build relationships with NPCs, etc.

Originally posted by Dihoru

Hello Bleeding heart Cloud ^^.

Heya there ^^.

I also dislike it when poster quote a source and say it says one thing and it dose not. PvE world is 100% one seamless world with no zones. As for the hamster world running in circles, WS is far from. Even raids are dynamic and will change from week to week. You can do the same raid a week later and it wont be the same. How hamster wheel is that? Player made PvP maps, how hamster wheel is that? PvE world has the same tools where the story will dynamicly change the world, how hamster wheel is that? <<>>

Anything not open world pvp, with instanced bullshit where your crap can never be attacked, is a hamster wheel because the game is made knowing it will have to continually offer you stuff to do, IE grind, because you never lose anything, you can never be thrown back to the starter level because of a few poor choices. If any of you are under the illusion that Wildstar will be anything other than an extremely refined themepark game (which is a hamster wheel, all of em are that) then I cannot wait for the first month after release to see all your tears. Sorry if this seems harsh but you people need to see the game for what it is and what it isn't and Wildfire is a hamster wheel, you will only get vertical, positive, progression in-game whereas a non-hamster wheel game has 360 degree progression (you can ascend any way you like or equally and more importantly descend).

They have also said there will be PvP server, you want open world you have it and its no zones in the PvE area so no where to hide. Un-hamster enough for you? I like open world PvP as well, but I like BG as well to switch things up when servers are dead. 

Originally posted by swampgas
    [mod edit]

Its easy to say what someone else should have done as developer, if these complainers/haters/everythingknowers were developers their game would end bankrupt in alpha ...

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

People are just sick of the same spoon-fed crap.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

They have also said there will be PvP server, you want open world you have it and its no zones in the PvE area so no where to hide. Un-hamster enough for you? I like open world PvP as well, but I like BG as well to switch things up when servers are dead. 

Did you pray tell miss the point of my post and assume I was a open world bitter vet? I ain't, I generally dislike PvP but I love games with it possible everywhere in the game (not on a single server), why? because it makes things allot more real, not just some random level 80 dropping on your ass for a quick kill and corpse camp (in a truly open world pvp game where if you die you can get your crap looted from you those types of gankers will quickly find their ass handed to them by counter ganks because what the ganker did pissed someone off and that someone may have friends, try EVE-Online if you don't believe that's possible, as is in these pathetic excuses for open world pvp servers you mentioned the only thing anyone will do against gankers is ignore them). Wildfire is a themepark, a good one, but a themepark ergo you're arguing that your hamster wheel isn't a hamster wheel merely because it is made of a better material.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Did you pray tell miss the point of my post and assume I was a open world bitter vet? I ain't, I generally dislike PvP but I love games with it possible everywhere in the game (not on a single server), why? because it makes things allot more real, not just some random level 80 dropping on your ass for a quick kill and corpse camp (in a truly open world pvp game where if you die you can get your crap looted from you those types of gankers will quickly find their ass handed to them by counter ganks because what the ganker did pissed someone off and that someone may have friends, try EVE-Online if you don't believe that's possible, as is in these pathetic excuses for open world pvp servers you mentioned the only thing anyone will do against gankers is ignore them). Wildfire is a themepark, a good one, but a themepark ergo you're arguing that your hamster wheel isn't a hamster wheel merely because it is made of a better material.

I cant really figure out how people dont realize that themepark game where you lose absolutely nothing on death and have 0 consequences on attacking another player open world PvP is ganker/griefer paradise and a big no-no.

Once the game is setup as EvE or L2 it works, but in WoW like game - lol.

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by mikahr

I cant really figure out how people dont realize that themepark game where you lose absolutely nothing on death and have 0 consequences on attacking another player open world PvP is ganker/griefer paradise and a big no-no.

Once the game is setup as EvE or L2 it works, but in WoW like game - lol.

I loved "open world" pvp in wow and rift but only when a new pvp server started up.  I wouls server hop all the time moving to the new server just to level a new toon.  Its so much fun to get a random fight when people your own level with similar gear.  But as soon as people hit max level the fun stops, it just turns in to ganking and griefing.  

I will say though that what happens and what has happened in EVE is that solo fights just don't happen that often (not saying they don't but...), it turns into blob vs. blob fights because no one wants to fight when the odds are even.  This in turn makes the combat and fights boring as most of the time its just ganking.  Their are problems with both systems.  While EVE fights are the most intense fights i have ever been in, I don't always want that in pvp.  Some times i just want to have fun killing and being killed by others, sadly EVE does not have that (yes i could get this in another game, and I do, thank you dota 2).

But on the other hand most thempark MMO's just don't have very good world pvp (you could argue that EVE does not really have world pvp, as most people think of it, as its very rair to get into a pvp fight while trying to PVE).