Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] World of Warcraft: The Second Screen

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Many MMOs these days utilize a "second screen" in the form of a mobile application. In today's WoW Factor, we take a look at how a second screen benefits World of Warcraft. See what we've got to say before talking about it in the comments.

In the gaming space, second screen experiences are beginning to grow with Wii U’s GamePad controller, Microsoft’s SmartGlass technology and the recently announced PlayStation app for the upcoming PlayStation 4. Second screens for gaming can offer such things as inventory management, maps and character stats all while keeping the the main screen focused on the game and free of various UI elements. 

Read more of Reza Lackey's The WoW Factor: The Second Screen.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    I think it's a great idea, it is also great for as you stated above,..to do those things if you have the time to do it on the fly. The only bad thing I can see happening is that if they utilize this technology , that more mmos will be made for tablet and iOS instead of pc gaming.
  • spawn12345spawn12345 Member UncommonPosts: 172

I think every mmo should have a "second screen" in one way or another

It really keeps the player into the mmo when they cant play it

• Jerek_Jerek_ Member Posts: 409
    I think some of the dailies they already have could be really fun as mobile mini-games.  The ones where you barrel roll across the top of the great wall, fly over armies of mobs dropping bombs, or dodge the shado pan guys in the training grounds all come to mind.
  • coldandnumbcoldandnumb Member CommonPosts: 90

While I do agree that a lot of what is being proposed in this article is nifty. I would argue that it would foster an even bigger amount of gaming addiction where people would feel the need to be involved in the game 24/7 which I think is already enough of a problem with the MMO community.

I play these games as a stress release and not because I'm looking for a second job or something to consume every spare minute of my time and having a game available on every device would end up doing just that.

• apocalanceapocalance Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

I agree that subscription based MMO's should start offering AFK mini games through mobile platforms. I would love to tool around on my phone and have that make some kind of useful difference for my WoW character(s). Balancing it so that it doesn't become required is the key here and probably what's keeping it from happening. There has to be a reason to do it, but there also has to be a way to properly balance it.

Then again, even making mini-games available in game would be cool as well. Maybe a console you could access in the main city that had a similar interface to the mobile platform if someone just wanted to play the mini games and didn't have access to a mobile device. The barbershop is my example of an existing location where many people can sit in and do their thing outside of the world.

so...

Originally posted by coldandnumb

While I do agree that a lot of what is being proposed in this article is nifty. I would argue that it would foster an even bigger amount of gaming addiction where people would feel the need to be involved in the game 24/7 which I think is already enough of a problem with the MMO community.

I play these games as a stress release and not because I'm looking for a second job or something to consume every spare minute of my time and having a game available on every device would end up doing just that.

you know.. you dont need to play it...

Its like saying I take crack because its available....

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I been using 2 screens on my pc for years.   One for the game the second one for ventrillo, act (advanced combat tracker) a must have for raiding in eq2 and also for having up my web brouser.  

Now I don't have my nook lying around for info as I  use that for reading, and my smartphone well it usually sits there and now and then lets me know when I get an email or a text.   I don't see how anybody can be using a smart phone while in a game. 

• zinger71zinger71 Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Love my WoW Armory app. The AH is actually more functional and user friendly than its in-game counterpart.
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by spawn12345

^

This.

In the age of Twitter this and Facebook that, how companies even ignore "second screens" is beyond me.

• RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71
    Originally posted by spawn12345

^

This.

In the age of Twitter this and Facebook that, how companies even ignore "second screens" is beyond me.

Same, I think every MMO should be taking advantage og IPhones and Android devices. Now blackberry is getting in the mix? Smartphones are everywhere and all games should have some sort of app even if it just to basically chat  with in-game members.

Originally posted by erictlewis

I been using 2 screens on my pc for years.   One for the game the second one for ventrillo, act (advanced combat tracker) a must have for raiding in eq2 and also for having up my web brouser.  

Now I don't have my nook lying around for info as I  use that for reading, and my smartphone well it usually sits there and now and then lets me know when I get an email or a text.   I don't see how anybody can be using a smart phone while in a game. 

I think you missunderstood

Its for when you arent playing the game on your pc/console :P

• AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370

I can see how the mobile tech can be used as a second screen and i even think some of the ideas you mentioned above could definitely make a game interesting. However...

The base fact is that players would want the full game made available to their devices... Now this is definitely unrealistic in the extreme as WoW is kicking what? Almost 20 gigs? I used Dual screens on my PC for years and sometimes I still do depending what I’m doing at the time.

There are several problems with this idea. I already know of the issue that players are checking their armory while driving, working, or in other not so appropriate locations. One of my buddies got in an accident a few months back because he decided to check his auctions in WoW and missed the stop sign and was broadsided.

I know not everyone does this. Hell maybe there are even a few responsible players in WoW and some of these other games. But with so many employers locking down their systems in order to keep people for using them for personal reasons many employees started using their smart hones instead.

I know, I am in my second year in college and i see many students sitting in class looking up info from WoW to youtube. They are in class to learn... Hell they are paying for it... then they whine because they don’t get the good grades... makes no damned sense.

The social apps are cool, and neat... But they are not appropriate at all times and people need to understand moderation. To give more of the game on the smart devices isn’t going to make things "better", more than likely it would lower the number of players that actually played in the world... The populations of campers in the main cities would certainly drop...

Then again maybe it isn’t a bad idea... ah well either way there are good points and bad... But some in the industry believe that the smart devices are the next level for gamers... me? I don’t buy it... I think people are getting ahead of themselves and just enjoy the game for what it is... A tool for entertainment.

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    I use this, love it and hate it. Im loading auctions and getting whispered to come and heal at the same time. It's nice being needed but I want to get away sometimes.
  • BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Gw2 could use a realtime web page featuring the wpvp map so im not clicking in and out of maps so much setting up strategies
  • SwankdSwankd Member UncommonPosts: 243
    This is the worst game that this good idea could have happened to, but its not going to help the game none. Hopefully other titles pick up on this good idea and put WoW in its place.