Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does it bother you to see someone with an "exclusive" item via cross-promotion, pre-order, etc?

123457»

Comments

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Originally posted by Cod_Eye
    Interesting replies, just going back a few days people were whinning because legacy players got into FFXIV ARR phase 1 beta. though that has changed since.

People just aren't understanding that not eveyrone plays MMOs that same. Some like adventure, exploration, socializing, collecting, crafting, griefing, etc.

Many players don't care about this topic. That is fine. However, there are many that do care, so I will say that it is a problem.

• SinsaiSinsai Member UncommonPosts: 405

LOL

Umm, No.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Dauzqul
    Many players don't care about this topic. That is fine. However, there are many that do care, so I will say that it is a problem.

Well, go get em, Rebel Leader.

Shouldn't you be doing it on the boards of the game you're pissed off at, though?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• rnor6084rnor6084 Member UncommonPosts: 111

No.

• ZydariZydari Member UncommonPosts: 84
    No problem at all

Experience demands that man is the only animal which devours his own kind, for I can apply no milder term to the general prey of the rich on the poor.

Thomas Jefferson

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

@ OP

Nope im fine with it. I ahve never played a game where one of those items actually gives a massive advantage to anyone anyway..

• sunshadow21sunshadow21 Member UncommonPosts: 357

Depends on how they do it, what the item is, and how often they do it. Offering a con only dungeon for the duration of the con, and perhaps even a short time after, or having a uniquely skinned item/race/etc. or two running around really isn't that big of a deal. The cross promotional and 3rd party stuff starts to get a bit dubious, but even those are usually kept within reasonable limits from what I've seen. I understand the mentality that everything should be earnable ingame, and agree to a large extent, but at the same time, having a few truly unique items is a good thing as well, as they give the people who have them a genuine interest in being active enough to show them off. I haven't seen any examples in this thread of things that people saw and wanted that I would consider massively game breaking or giving anyone any kind of actual advantage, nor have I seen any such items in my own personal experience.

The reality is, most such things end up collecting dust anyway because people forget about them or don't want the extra attention gained from using them, so it balances itself out in the end. Those who are collecter types can usually end up acquiring most of the objects anyway from people who received them and don't use them, at least in most of the games I've seen, so it's not like they are always completely unobtainable for those who missed out on the first opportunity to get them; it does require actual interaction with and reliance upon other players, which seems to be falling by the wayside these days, but it is still usually doable with some effort.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Dauzqul

Well, go get em, Rebel Leader.

Shouldn't you be doing it on the boards of the game you're pissed off at, though?

I'm not playing a MMO.

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Uniqueness is what is lacking in all the new MMO's. Not being a spoiled entitled brat gives me the ability to see another player with a cool mount/gear and be happy for them.
  • InfearealInfeareal Member UncommonPosts: 111

Nope. No restrictions on that "nope" either. If it was payed for, earned from some site, time invested, or any other means makes no difference.

Side note, I wish there were more limited items. Especially for items in game that are considered "legendary". Seeing every other player running around with the 2h sword "Rakesh the God Slayer" makes it quite a bit less legendary. There should only be 1 with a privilaged individual holding on to it.

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

NO

same for cosmetic items from Item Shop and such.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Infeareal

Side note, I wish there were more limited items. Especially for items in game that are considered "legendary". Seeing every other player running around with the 2h sword "Rakesh the God Slayer" makes it quite a bit less legendary. There should only be 1 with a privilaged individual holding on to it.

You'd probably enjoy the cursed swords of Lineage 2.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

no. for the most part.

It only happened to me once. The 2 seater rocket mount that WoW gave players that invited other players to the game. It only bothered me because their support was crappy in this area at blizzard and I did not get it when i invited a player, and at the time engineers had exactly 1 flying mount that they could build. It bothered me moreso that Blizzard has been less then stellar in their support of engineers in regards to gear and gadgets that one could make end game ever since WotLK it's been bad.

It used to bother me when they didn't include benefits to players for paying for starter or lifetime kits prior to a game launch like in STO. We finally received a ship of our own but for a long time there wasn't one so I guess it only bothered me when one DIDn't receive a special item for paying extra or getting a promo.