Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most Annoying Feature Trend

124»

Comments

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704
    Originally posted by Dogblaster

:/ Scroll wheel out or hit 'C' to see your character.

Or zoom in to go into first person view ? :) right ? xD

Yes, exactly.  So why are you against letting people scroll in to first person?

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    The "my genre has been ruined" hipsters. Definitely the most annoying trend.

image Oh, yes!

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by WellzyC

Most Annoying Feature Trend

Actually the most annoying feature trend in mmo is, by far, instanced battlegrounds and arenas, which has been popularized by WoW.

Instanced battlegrounds and arenas is counter-productive to the whole point of have a mmo and a persistent world - because you are essentially creating a non-persistent instance within a persistent world.

If people want to MOBA they should just play a MOBA. Mmorpg's should do it's own thing.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Cash shops.

Fast leveling.

GW2 fans.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Linear story, instanced or dedicated pvp areas, cut-scenes.
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Dauzqul
    Linear story, instanced or dedicated pvp areas, cut-scenes.

Cut scenes have been around for a long time.  But yeah they are and always have been annoying.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• ReskaillevReskaillev Member CommonPosts: 157

yeah Im kind of a cynic.

But it's hard not to be, Im that old guy who has seen " the good old days" only to watch all you kids with your Rock n' Roll H tracks and your Facy Space take over everything.

It has been tough watching the genre that I loved get mainstreamed and  just be ruined almost entirely. But my synisism aside,

What as been the most annoying MMO trend in your opinion?

[EDIT]  Ment to add more to that poll, but hit enter on accident, now it wont let me add more... oh well. time for bed.

-  Insta Porting

-  Dungeon Finders

-  Instancing

was what I meant to add....

You forgot to add the annoying 12-year olds...they should never be a feature in any of my games! 

"Isn't a raid plundering villages in WoW or something like that?" - Robert Desable

• nottunednottuned Member Posts: 92
    Originally posted by Reskaillev

yeah Im kind of a cynic.

But it's hard not to be, Im that old guy who has seen " the good old days" only to watch all you kids with your Rock n' Roll H tracks and your Facy Space take over everything.

It has been tough watching the genre that I loved get mainstreamed and  just be ruined almost entirely. But my synisism aside,

What as been the most annoying MMO trend in your opinion?

[EDIT]  Ment to add more to that poll, but hit enter on accident, now it wont let me add more... oh well. time for bed.

-  Insta Porting

-  Dungeon Finders

-  Instancing

was what I meant to add....

You forgot to add the annoying 12-year olds...they should never be a feature in any of my games! 

Alot of this for me is the simplifying of everything. where knowing what you were doing was important. now  I find myself just following a set path and all the thinking is being done for me. worlds are shrinking and exploration is out the window with the insta porting.

going from point a to point b used to have to be planned because the journey was not easy. seems they removing alot from these games to make the easier. whats the point of doing something if you cannot fail? why not save the time and assume it done?

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by stragen001
    Originally posted by Nightgroper
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by stragen001

The most annoying feature trend in MMOs, is in my opinion, poeple whining about how good MMOs used to be, and how the genre has been ruined. 

On a more serious note, Cash shops and dungeon finders are my 2 pet hates. 

Wait till the day they start trending away from your preferred play style and gameplay.  Who wouldn't complain when they're being left behind with nothing suitable to play anymore.  Maybe people like you need to read the dictionary more as you can't seem to separate the difference between complaint  and whine.

You may want to use that dictionary yourself and look up the word nostalgia.

And the phrase "rose tinted glasses"

Just look at these people who say they want a Vanilla WOW server thinking they will get that same experience they had when they first played WOW. They Won't.

Preferred play style is not subject to rose tinted glasses people.  Really, you guys need to learn the language better.  You either like it or you don't, there is no nostalgic quality to it.  I never said I want new games that are exactly like the old ones, but I do like slower paced combat with the empahsis on character stats and progression and not the twitchy, mindless action trend currently taking place.  That desire is neither nostalgic nor rose tinted and I'm sick and tired of people like you that can't grasp the concept.  I don't begrudge you guys having these games, but I do take issue when the industry appears to be completely writing off a significant portion of their patronage, let alone the very people who supported them from the very beginning.  It's not just ungreatful, it's a bad business practice to boot.

• NightgroperNightgroper Member Posts: 76
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

Preferred play style is not subject to rose tinted glasses people.  Really, you guys need to learn the language better.  You either like it or you don't, there is no nostalgic quality to it.  I never said I want new games that are exactly like the old ones, but I do like slower paced combat with the empahsis on character stats and progression and not the twitchy, mindless action trend currently taking place.  That desire is neither nostalgic nor rose tinted and I'm sick and tired of people like you that can't grasp the concept.  I don't begrudge you guys having these games, but I do take issue when the industry appears to be completely writing off a significant portion of their patronage, let alone the very people who supported them from the very beginning.  It's not just ungreatful, it's a bad business practice to boot.

Ok, so you agree that the current trend of action based, twitchy combat system is new, right? Alright then, would that not make the slower paced system the older system? So you yearn for the older system, or enjoy more compared to this newfangled twitch system. That would make you nostalgic. 

TL;dr, get a dictionary. I win.

The more I'm around the forums on this site, the more bitter I become.