Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm sad that WildStar will be just another hamster wheel game :(

funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279

I was very excited about this game until I read the questions and answers from http://www.wildstar-central.com/index.php?threads/arkship-2013-community-questions-answered.1371/. I like the game really, the humor, the sci-fi/fantasy theme, the art style, very colorful world, and it looks fun to play (pve wise). But everything will be instanced. Player housing and battle grounds will be instanced. To me, WildStar will be just another hamster wheel game that every 2 months releases a new raid/bg, that gets so boring. It doesn't offer anything that hasn't been done before in an mmo. I might still give it a try but I'm still kinda disappointed.

I haven't heard if it will have any open world pvp so that sucks. But it will have dyes and a wardrobe system so that is good news. It just seems that no one can make the perfect mmo. ArcheAge might be close to being the perfect mmo but I havent done much research on it and the Asian art style isnt my cup of tea. I will probably end up trying and liking ArcheAge anyways. And TESO looks like the combat is going to be clunky and the game world will be very, very instanced.. I think the dark fantasy world will get boring fast, I prefer the more colorful world that WildStar and WoW have.

What do you guys think of WildStar? Just another WoW fail clone like all other mmo's that have come out in the past ten years, or will this game be different and fun to play?

Comments

• emikochanemikochan Member UncommonPosts: 290
    hmm I thought the settler path was all open world stuff. If that's not the case I am now sad.
  • WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500

Its sad that you judge the game based on this ... Instanced, not instanced it doesnt matter that much. There are by far more important things that matters in mmorpg that this. And If its well executed it wont be even noticable that its instanced.

Perfect MMORPG for who? You? Everyone?

NOTHING IS PERFECT for everyone.

Even if everyone loved every single thing about that mmorpg, there will always be someone who dont like it.

Also there is no perfect job, car, girl, etc. Its all about personal preferences, taste, priorities. For you Archage might be perfect, for some EQ, for some WoW. For me neither of these are perfect and wont be, either they have ugly gfx (And I didnt buy 7970 lightning to play ugly mmo) or the gameplay dont fits me.

For me .. Perfect mmorpg will be FF XIV. A realm reborn

P.S.: I hope you/we all find THAT one pefect mmorpg where we last for years! Good luck all guys :)

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    If everyone shares the instance for housing like one big residential zone, I'm good with that. But if it's like Aion, Rift, Everquest 2 and every other presonal instance housing endeavor, then I'll only be stopping by until something with non-instance housing comes along. And it seems more and more like AA is the only contender in that department.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    Hope this one is good.  But if not I am still really having fun in GW2 so eh.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    With housing being instanced, I see some options such as everyone has their own unique instance for their floaty house, or there could be a city where all the floaty houses are linked together. Hopefully it is something more like the latter where some form of community is involved.
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Dogblaster

Its sad that you judge the game based on this ... Instanced, not instanced it doesnt matter that much. There are by far more important things that matters in mmorpg that this. And If its well executed it wont be even noticable that its instanced.

Even if everyone loved every single thing about that mmorpg, there will always be someone who dont like it.

Also there is no perfect job, car, girl, etc. Its all about personal preferences, taste, priorities. For you Archage might be perfect, for some EQ, for some WoW. For me neither of these are perfect and wont be, either they have ugly gfx (And I didnt buy 7970 lightning to play ugly mmo) or the gameplay dont fits me.

P.S.: I hope you/we all find THAT one pefect mmorpg where we last for years! Good luck all guys :)

I'm sorry, who elected you President of what is important and what is not?  I really can't stand posters like you who try to dictate what is a valid or invalid complaint.  He could be disappointed in the goofy cartoon graphics and be perfectly valid for doing so.  You know why?  Everyone has different tastes and different wants and needs out of their entertainment and gaming.  What you want out of an MMO is no more important than what he wants out of an MMO.  Personally, I have a problem with the current trend of over-instancing in MMOs.  It breaks immersion for me and it creates artificial walls between players and really is the antithesis of a shared open world where people can mingle freely.

• aerinndisaerinndis Member Posts: 67

I'm pretty sure there will be open PVP on the PVP servers...

As far as how good the game will be, I'll reserve judgment until I actually play it.

• aerinndisaerinndis Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by emikochan
    hmm I thought the settler path was all open world stuff. If that's not the case I am now sad.

It is. The settler path has nothing to do with housing.

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    What's so great about non instanced dugneons? i don't want a bunch of others after the same thing I'm after.
  • mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by kabitoshin
    What's so great about non instanced dugneons? i don't want a bunch of others after the same thing I'm after.

Then dont play MMO?

Open tapping works amazing, LOTRO and GW2 really nailed it. Seems that WS will have something similar, but MMOs should depart from instancing content alltogether (execption personal story if it has one)

• emikochanemikochan Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Originally posted by aerinndis
    Originally posted by emikochan

It is. The settler path has nothing to do with housing.

Well what can you actually build, if not settlements?

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

i disagree w the Op that Wildstar will be another hamster wheel game

read: "raid or die" gear based game

I dont have any proof to show otherwise but I know they are focusing on endgame content for solo players

Wildstar - will have endgame for the solo player

• logandwjlogandwj Member Posts: 25

What makes me sad is that this looks like a lovely game, with a lot of creativity behind it. Looks great and all...

But it's being published by the MMOKiller NCSoft. If that game falters for even ONE FINANCIAL QUARTER...

(Makes slicing motion at neck with hand)

It's all over.

If Wildstar doesn't launch HUGE, if it doesn't STAY huge, if the game is deemed a flop in any sense whatsoever. I think NCSoft WILL kill it. They've so far axed Auto-Assault, Dungeon Runners, Tabula Rasa, EXteel, and City of Heroes.

That last one should give anyone looking at buying a game from NCSoft pause. The others were arguably performing poorly. But City of Heroes was a healthy game and still profitable. That means NCSoft is mercurial at best and completely random in their decision-making at worst when it comes to which games to keep and which to kill. A game could be financially healthy and yet still be considered a "loss" to them in some undefinable way.

Wildstar is pushing the idea of "settlers" and "homesteading" as a selling point, which is really pretty ironic.

I'd REALLY wait to see if the game is going to survive with the "Sword of Damocles" hanging over them. If it's a WoW-Level or GW2 level success, then you'd be safe in assuming your "stuff" (which really isn't even your stuff) will stick around for at least a few years. 

In any case, I'd caution people to be ULTRA-wary of anything published by NCSoft. Don't pre-order. Wait to see how it does. Don't get too emotionally invested.

Not to say I don't think Carbine aren't making an excellent product, because it's pretty obvious that they are. And I wish them the best of luck.

They're going to need it. 

-Logan
    ----------
    "Wake UP! Time for SCIENCE!"
    -Adam Savage "Mythbusters"
    ----------

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by Dogblaster

I'm sorry, who elected you President of what is important and what is not?  I really can't stand posters like you who try to dictate what is a valid or invalid complaint.  He could be disappointed in the goofy cartoon graphics and be perfectly valid for doing so.  You know why?  Everyone has different tastes and different wants and needs out of their entertainment and gaming.  What you want out of an MMO is no more important than what he wants out of an MMO.  Personally, I have a problem with the current trend of over-instancing in MMOs.  It breaks immersion for me and it creates artificial walls between players and really is the antithesis of a shared open world where people can mingle freely.

[mod edit]  While there can be a perfect mmo for an individual player there is no such thing as a perfect mmo, as everyone have different game aspects at the top of their importants list.  [mod edit]

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by logandwj

If Wildstar doesn't launch HUGE, if it doesn't STAY huge, if the game is deemed a flop in any sense whatsoever. I think NCSoft WILL kill it.

They've so far axed Auto-Assault, Dungeon Runners, Tabula Rasa, EXteel, and City of Heroes.

all the games except City of Heroes were operating at a loss

COH - i cannot explain and dont know why Ncsoft pulled the plug

COH kept a steady sub population around 150k for years

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by logandwj

If Wildstar doesn't launch HUGE, if it doesn't STAY huge, if the game is deemed a flop in any sense whatsoever. I think NCSoft WILL kill it.

They've so far axed Auto-Assault, Dungeon Runners, Tabula Rasa, EXteel, and City of Heroes.

all the games except City of Heroes were operating at a loss

COH - i cannot explain and dont know why Ncsoft pulled the plug

COH kept a steady sub population around 150k for years

To me he just sounds bitter... what was the sub price for CoH? 15 $ US? That's 2.25 mil if they were buying monthly subscriptions every month and not going for longer term subs... 2.25 mil isn't allot of money after support costs and dev team costs are factored in... and being a game publisher is a business in the end... if the game was just making enough to support itself but not fund future content development then it was essentially on life support.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by kabitoshin

Your playing a MMMORPG thats part of the fun...

• BoldynBoldyn Member Posts: 265

Has anyone actually played a game where you run a hamster in a wheel? I mean the idea keeps getting bashed, but has anyone really tried?

This calls for a kickstarter, send me your money!

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by Boldyn

Has anyone actually played a game where you run a hamster in a wheel? I mean the idea keeps getting bashed, but has anyone really tried?

This calls for a kickstarter, send me your money!

Already done

http://archive.globalgamejam.org/2012/cosmic-hamster-wheel

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

They have said in many interviews. PvE world is one persistant area with no zones.

/thread fail

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Agree o.p. Instancing sucks. It is the measure of a cheaply/ rapidly made game. Instancing decreases immersion, and for me immersion is THE point of an MMO.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

Originally posted by Arclan

Agree o.p. Instancing sucks. It is the measure of a cheaply/ rapidly made game. Instancing decreases immersion, and for me immersion is THE point of an MMO.

OP is off his rocker, pls read post above yours!!!

• DeVoDeVoDeVoDeVo Member UncommonPosts: 106

The game was not even on my radar until I read these words from the developer:

"Solo end game content is both very important and almost completely underserved in the genre," he said, arguing that around 60 percent or so of MMO players play alone. Despite this tendency, he said, "on average, solo content sucks. It's daily quests or crafting grinds or reputation grinds, and it's pretty tough to make a fun grind."

Now, that certainly is going against the “hamster wheel” norm for MMOS.  I mean, soloers at endgame are usually met with no content, gated or treated like trash.  So, now this game has my interest and I’ll continue to watch its development.

Originally posted by DeVoDeVo

The game was not even on my radar until I read these words from the developer:

"Solo end game content is both very important and almost completely underserved in the genre," he said, arguing that around 60 percent or so of MMO players play alone. Despite this tendency, he said, "on average, solo content sucks. It's daily quests or crafting grinds or reputation grinds, and it's pretty tough to make a fun grind."

Now, that certainly is going against the “hamster wheel” norm for MMOS.  I mean, soloers at endgame are usually met with no content, gated or treated like trash.  So, now this game has my interest and I’ll continue to watch its development.

There a lots of other features that are non-hamster wheelish. Like raids that change week to week with the maps dynamicly changing. Player housing that you can change the world around your house not just the house. Being able to make a Warplot (guild hall) you can take to war in some type of PvP battle (no more info then that yet on how it works) Over 1/2 the devs are working on end game content right now. Most games dont do that till close to release. OP are you trolling?

• funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
    nice that the world will be seamless, but housing and bg's