Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Q4 results released: Worst sales $ in the history of the company

2»

Comments

• psykobillypsykobilly Member Posts: 338
    Originally posted by Realbigdeal
    Originally posted by psykobilly
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    Originally posted by Abuz0r
    A little bit of reading into this game steered me away from it.  I became convinced based on user reviews its P2W.

How is it P2W?

It is pay2win because the free acount you can create has a cap on skill of 60.  This means that anyone with a paid account will out damage a free account to a massive extent, and also out sprint (movement speed and damage output being the two most important things in game).

What they could have done to make it not pay2win was simply cap the total points so a free account could have say 8 skills at 100 while a paid account could have 12 skills at 100 (as an example).  That would make it so the free account has a chance in combat, but is still not a fully fleshed out character.

Basically capping skills at 60 was shortcut so SV doesn't have to monitor free accounts.  If they allowed 100 skill free accounts they would actually have to do some work to make sure the same people weren't making free accounts over and over again.  It's sheer laziness on SV's part - so they chose the pay2win model to make it easier.

That's not P2W, that's just a free limited trial, no one subbing has an advantage over another sub.

Your definition of pay2win is different than mine.  If you _must_ pay to compete - that's pay2win in my book.

I can play planetside2 completely for free and get every cert in the game without ever paying a dime, making me fully able to compete in the game over the long term.  That's free2play.

In Mortal you can't touch a fraction of the games content with a free account, and can never compete with your free account.  If Mortal had a built in system to unlock more character slots and more skills as you played the game then it would be truly free to play.

Huge difference, planetside 2 does it right... Mortal fails.  

It's not P2W. It's Infinit trial or pay monthly. Are you new to mmo's?

What part of - you HAVE TO PAY TO BE ABLE TO WIN do you not comprehend?  If you want to label it something go ahead... BUT YOU STILL HAVE TO PAY TO WIN.  I mean it in the most literal sense possible.

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045
    A little bit of reading into this game steered me away from it.  I became convinced based on user reviews its P2W.

How is it P2W?

It is pay2win because the free acount you can create has a cap on skill of 60.  This means that anyone with a paid account will out damage a free account to a massive extent, and also out sprint (movement speed and damage output being the two most important things in game).

What they could have done to make it not pay2win was simply cap the total points so a free account could have say 8 skills at 100 while a paid account could have 12 skills at 100 (as an example).  That would make it so the free account has a chance in combat, but is still not a fully fleshed out character.

Basically capping skills at 60 was shortcut so SV doesn't have to monitor free accounts.  If they allowed 100 skill free accounts they would actually have to do some work to make sure the same people weren't making free accounts over and over again.  It's sheer laziness on SV's part - so they chose the pay2win model to make it easier.

That's not P2W, that's just a free limited trial, no one subbing has an advantage over another sub.

Yet even SV makes no mention of a trial and clearly advertises it as FREE TO PLAY, with an additional Premium account option. (P2W)    Free accounts can't compete with a premium in MO.

In World of Tanks for example, Premium Accounts only allows for faster "experience"  and cash rewards to aid progression.  So Free and Premium accounts will still be on even playing field within a given match, it will just take more time for the Free account to get higher tier tanks.

F2P,P2W or trial... Call it what you want, but clearly the model doesn't work.

• archeagekingarcheageking Member Posts: 88

Too bad those 100 players still donating to starvault thinks the donating money goes to create content, its probably going to off set those net losses.

But they tell their subscribers those money from donators is going to create contents.

JEEZ last quarter they lost $300,000, now they are losing close to $900,000 this quarter. Good lord how long can starvault keep up?

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Hancakes

How is it P2W?

Yet even SV makes no mention of a trial and clearly advertises it as FREE TO PLAY, with an additional Premium account option. (P2W)    Free accounts can't compete with a premium in MO.

In World of Tanks for example, Premium Accounts only allows for faster "experience"  and cash rewards to aid progression.  So Free and Premium accounts will still be on even playing field within a given match, it will just take more time for the Free account to get higher tier tanks.

I will accept it as Sub2W, no idea if it will work, I tried the trial a while ago and it was very buggy and stopped.

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045
    Originally posted by Hancakes

How is it P2W?

I will accept it as Sub2W, no idea if it will work, I tried the trial a while ago and it was very buggy and stopped.

Judging by the performance thus far it'll never work.