Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: The Rant #2 - Previews, Press, and the Players

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In this week's Rant, MMORPG's Bill Murphy muses on the Preview debate. Who are previews really for? Who should they be for? Why are they mostly rubbish? And what can be done to fix the issues at hand?

Check it out on our The Rant video page.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

The background of almost every single trailer or screenshot is the same: an endless vista of land. Most everyone wants to imagine what is out there, e.g., empty land for my guild's future empire, a place to plop my very first home, a place to "get lost", etc.

The actual game is released. The cool vista background? Yup. It's just that... a background. I am hindered by mountains and invisible walls. I am told to stay on the main path and continue my quest line.

The same concept goes for PvP. In SWTOR's Hope Trailer, you see a gigantic Imperial Army that is marching. However, it is ambushed by the Republic! How shocking and heroic! What an element of surprise!

The game launches...   there is literally zero element of surprise. Instanced Warzones / Dedicated PvP area is all there is. People are expecting PvP. Strategies are learned within the first month and every game becomes a rinse/repeat cycle. Moreover, Huttball?

Trailers and demos are nothing but lies.

This is why I'm a fan of ArcheAge. While it does have the same "fluff" trailers, it's no-nda policy provides endless YouTube videos so that we can see what the gameplay will really be like. If a game does not do this, it will most likely be a bad game.