Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bashing the game.

Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839

I see a lot of people bashing the game but those same people are here begging for keys lol

Comments

• AbloecAbloec Member CommonPosts: 315
    Originally posted by Allacore69

I see a lot of people bashing the game but those same people are here begging for keys lol

Meh, people are like that. Its just like my quote in my sig. It means They condemn what they do not understand.

Damnant quod non intellegunt
  • ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

How do you define bashing versus critique? Honest question.

For example I read that the game restricts you to one weapon per class. I find this to be unacceptable if its true, was the person reporting this information bashing the game?

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    I'm tired of the Dungeons and Dragons franchise being so poorly represented in both movies and computer online gaming.

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    I didn't know keys were available. I'd love to try and get a key. Been waiting for NW forever. :)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

Originally posted by ignore_me

For example I read that the game restricts you to one weapon per class. I find this to be unacceptable if its true, was the person reporting this information bashing the game?

Each class is restricted to one weapon type not one weapon. So Trickster rogue can use 2 one handers, Guardian one hander and shield, and so on.

Originally posted by Vorthanion
    I'm tired of the Dungeons and Dragons franchise being so poorly represented in both movies and computer online gaming.

Can't really lay all the blame on the producers/game companies. WoTC has to approve the movies and online games for them to be released. So its also on WoTC. I mean they were the ones that decided that Cryptic was going to use the 4.0 rule set.

Originally posted by Abloec

Each class is restricted to one weapon type not one weapon. So Trickster rogue can use 2 one handers, Guardian one hander and shield, and so on.

So wait, dagger is a class of weapon? Can Trickster use anything else?

• DrkKaiserDrkKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 16

In a game where versatility and the ability to use any type of weapons and armor you desired are quite prevalent (Yet heavily frowned upon, as per the game's negative bonuses,) I find that the concept of having only one weapon type per class to be rather inhibitive and counter-intuitive to the spirit of the game.

Truly, I would like to see the Dungeons & Dragons franchise actually be handled by a company who is up to the challenge of making the game a true example of the tabletop model, rather than a half-hearted attempt, moulded around MMORPG pre-built concepts which "Work."

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Not to worry, I've neither bashed the game nor asked for a key.

Has not caught my interest yet, mostly ignoring for now.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

A trickster can use 1h swords, axes, I am assuming daggers but tbh I can't remember if I found any daggers.

Originally posted by DrkKaiser

In a game where versatility and the ability to use any type of weapons and armor you desired are quite prevalent (Yet heavily frowned upon, as per the game's negative bonuses,) I find that the concept of having only one weapon type per class to be rather inhibitive and counter-intuitive to the spirit of the game.

Truly, I would like to see the Dungeons & Dragons franchise actually be handled by a company who is up to the challenge of making the game a true example of the tabletop model, rather than a half-hearted attempt, moulded around MMORPG pre-built concepts which "Work."

Kaiser, the amount of money it would require to make a DnD as extensive as a PnP DnD game would be huge. Actually lemme rephase that alil bit, to make a game w/ the depth on the PnP DnD game that is good would cost a huge amount of money. To give the amount of custimization of DnD itself would probably take years to design, thats just the character creation. Putting that shit in a book is a lot simpler than putting all of it in code and balancing it. There would probably be no way to have PvP in the game because there would be so many combinations and shit that it would be an extrodinary feat just to balance the game.

Like I said in another post, you cannot lay all the blame on the game companies for the limitations, WoTC gives the ok for this stuff or the game would never release.

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,360
    If I promise not to bash can I have a key then? ;)
  • DrkKaiserDrkKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 16

So in essence, you're attempting to say that in order to do what they're already doing, just with adjusted parameters...would take a massive amount of money beyond what they normally spend, as well as time?

Allow me to be a bit more specific here, so as to eliminate any confusion.

D&D is a great game, but the biggest problem when playing in an MMO aspect is the combat.

As I am at least aware, D&D functions around turns, squares moved per round (Feet in 3.5 and prior, I think)

and the aspect of it being on a grid based system.

To this extent, why have they not tried a method that would cater to that more appropriately?

MMORPG as a design may indeed work, it is merely that the way they're going about it is somewhat flawed, from my perspective.

I do not blame the developers. These statements are more general "Blanket" statements towards the game, until I can play it, find the potential issues myself, and then give an in depth critique about how well they function in their own concept.

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

A trickster can use 1h swords, axes, I am assuming daggers but tbh I can't remember if I found any daggers.

Trickster start with a dagger.

Originally posted by DrkKaiser

So in essence, you're attempting to say that in order to do what they're already doing, just with adjusted parameters...would take a massive amount of money beyond what they normally spend, as well as time?

Allow me to be a bit more specific here, so as to eliminate any confusion.

D&D is a great game, but the biggest problem when playing in an MMO aspect is the combat.

As I am at least aware, D&D functions around turns, squares moved per round (Feet in 3.5 and prior, I think)

and the aspect of it being on a grid based system.

To this extent, why have they not tried a method that would cater to that more appropriately?

MMORPG as a design may indeed work, it is merely that the way they're going about it is somewhat flawed, from my perspective.

I do not blame the developers. These statements are more general "Blanket" statements towards the game, until I can play it, find the potential issues myself, and then give an in depth critique about how well they function in their own concept.

Well first of all, WoTC decided that Neverwinter would be 4.o ruleset which is a more I guess you could say fast paced ruleset. Less abilities just w/ more punch and so on. The problem w/ adapting a PnP DnD to an MMO is the general populace wants fast paced action. Kill it and kill it now type mentality. Trust me I am w/ you, I loved all the old Bioware games that used the turn based DnD rules but sadly if you look at Biowares detachment from that w/ DA2 the majority of the new generation of gamers aren't into the slow stategic type of game play, especially in an MMORPG.

Like I said if Neverwinter was a turn based type game I would be all for it, but its not. I approach all games regardless of their ties w/ a fresh view. Just because a game is associated w/ something like DnD does not mean it is going to be DnD sadly. There will always be compromises and cuts, it would be to difficult to fully translate a PnP game to an MMORPG that todays gamers would accept.

Originally posted by azarhal

Trickster start with a dagger.

Lol, thanks. I couldn't remember for my life, played so much Neverwinter it sorta all blurred together.

• HaloheadHalohead Member UncommonPosts: 11
    The Guardian Fighter starts with a sword and shield, and I didn't level one high enough to see if any variation was available. I recall in the Guardian Figther video the character was using a two-handed sword, but they may have changed it since the video's release.
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,360
    You may have seen the great weapon warrior video though
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Still curious what OP is talking about.. Seen some bash because its f2p, or its cryptic, or they feel its not "real" d&d but who asked for a key after bashing?

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Well I asked a question. Got an answer. Said I didn't like the way the game handled that (genuine response) and used perjorative language to illustrate my feedback.

= Bashing?

• Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839

Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Still curious what OP is talking about.. Seen some bash because its f2p, or its cryptic, or they feel its not "real" d&d but who asked for a key after bashing?
    Scan these forums for peeps looking for keys then look at the other posts that bash or talk bad about those games and you'll see the same peeps who were just looking or asking for keys.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Scan these forums for peeps looking for keys then look at the other posts that bash or talk bad about those games and you'll see the same peeps who were just looking or asking for keys.

don't care enough to look but sounds about right for this site..  find it humorous that people who state they hate themeparks and everything about them then buy and play every themepark that comes out and bitch about how it sucks...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

Post of the Day

• FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166

Yeah the game sucks rocks.

KEY PLEASE.image

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

don't care enough to look but sounds about right for this site..  find it humorous that people who state they hate themeparks and everything about them then buy and play every themepark that comes out and bitch about how it sucks...

You could in theory call Neverwinter a sandpark due to its foundry and the supposedly high degree of liberty in its use (I've heard you can make entire quest chains with loot and all the trimmings within the foundry).