Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

POLL: Faction Lock, or Not...

Think about what you would prefer if all options were open at this stage and vote please...

I am not including alternate options for things which would require widespread fundamental change -just things which might have the slightest realistic possibility of being done. So no alternate faction models or player led or created factions, and of course no 'PvE only server' option.

NOTE: 'PvP Cyrodil only' means in this case full mass PvP - building destruction, forts etc. not the more limited flagging mentioned in some choices.

Comments

• walltarwalltar Member Posts: 58
    I'd go with second option ... you can go to enemy zones, but there should be guards in cities and bigger towns who would attack you on sight. You are still in enemy territory.
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

It's fine the way they currently have it..worked just fine in DAOC.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by Tayah

Yep. If you're going to have RvR, doing it the way it was done in DAOC is the way to go.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

I'm fine with the current design. Although, if they have been using servers and not a mega-server, I would have liked a full PvP ruleset. Makes thing more realistic.

Originally posted by azarhal

I'm fine with the current design. Although, if they have been using servers and not a mega-server, I would have liked a full PvP ruleset. Makes thing more realistic.

I still think they can do Full PvP instances ... i don't see anything stopping from doing it. Then PvE players can play in peace and PvP players can gank their sorry asses.

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by walltar

I still think they can do Full PvP instances ... i don't see anything stopping from doing it. Then PvE players can play in peace and PvP players can gank their sorry asses.

That depends how they designed their "mega-server" vs the "PvP" flag. It might be a nightmare to  allow it in certain instances. They also have to account for people jumping around instances to be with friends and/or how the mega-server decide which player goes in what instance. It's not because you have PvP players in your friends list that you want to PvP while doing PvE activities in your faction zone.

• Deto123Deto123 Member Posts: 689

Enough with the faction lock or not. They decided on the DAOC style, that worked extremely well, and they re going with it. IMO it s the best choice.

How many people do you really think like being ganked while questing. I can almost guarentee that 70% or more want to pvp when they choose to.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Where's the option for: 

PvP Cryodil Only - No faction area lockout (voluntary PvP flag)?

Originally posted by walltar

That depends how they designed their "mega-server" vs the "PvP" flag. It might be a nightmare to  allow it in certain instances. They also have to account for people jumping around instances to be with friends and/or how the mega-server decide which player goes in what instance. It's not because you have PvP players in your friends list that you want to PvP while doing PvE activities in your faction zone.

I think you would need one button for that ... if you click it you will go to PvP instances and if you don't, you'll go to PvE ones. Sorting system would be separate for PVP and PvE instances. I is like being in more tnah one guild ... you have to somehow choose one you want to play with any given moment.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
    Originally posted by Tayah

The Dev is putting all his hopes (and those of the investors who want to turn a profit) on RvR.  It isn't that RvR is a part of the game, an option out of many, he is making the game around it. 

The ip is going to sell boxes, but what happens when those people who I assume are buying the game are thinking they are getting Skyrim MMO, find out is DAOC2?

DAOC has a super loyal following, but they don't have a huge player base. In a time when there are so many choices for MMOs to play.  It seems like a bad idea to push players away. And I have no doubt, people not being able to play the race they want with their friends will have an impact.

If everything is VO, I think it will have an impact on how fast content comes out.  RvR, but no new content is not going to keep people around.

Having 3 locked lands, means 3 times the content, which means slower content updates or all content is just a copied but then what would be the point of an alt?

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

They should just pull the Elder Scrolls IP from this in all honesty. The fact that this is going to have the Elder Scrolls name does nothing for the game except (a) they don't need to create their own IP, and (b) it will sell boxes to the masses who don't bother to find out about the game and actually think the game will bear some resemblance to TES games.

Yeah I get it, DAoC was awesome, we all want DAoC 2 etc. Great, you're going to get it from the look of it. Just a shame it's a shameless money grab from ZeniMax which stains their stellar brand in the RPG genre.

• jedensuscgjedensuscg Member Posts: 209

Where is the option

"This is an Elder Scrolls game, why the fuck are we even having a debate about faction lockouts in a franchise that has always put player choices first"

i agree, if your going to do RvRvR, then DAoC had a good system.

But if they wanted to do RvRvR then they should have never picked the ES IP to do it with, as it is a direct contrast to everything TES stands for. They are not building an ES game in spirit and then putting PvP in it, no they are stripping away everything that fans loved about TES in order to add in their idea of PvP.

All it proves is that they just wanted to make an RvRvR game, and they are just using the name The Elder Scrolls to up the hype level, even though the game is as far removed from an Elder Scrolls game as you can get in anything but the names on the box and on the map.

Originally posted by Vonatar

They should just pull the Elder Scrolls IP from this in all honesty. The fact that this is going to have the Elder Scrolls name does nothing for the game except (a) they don't need to create their own IP, and (b) it will sell boxes to the masses who don't bother to find out about the game and actually think the game will bear some resemblance to TES games.

Yeah I get it, DAoC was awesome, we all want DAoC 2 etc. Great, you're going to get it from the look of it. Just a shame it's a shameless money grab from ZeniMax which stains their stellar brand in the RPG genre.

You know taht there is great buttload of lore they can use ... I for one want MMO set in TES world (and with tes lore) for some time, so i don't want them pulling TES IP out of it.

If someone can't be bothered to find info about game and he is buing it only by cover .. then it is his fault. I don't see anything wrong with that. I did no't buy Fallout 3, it got big shiny IP on it but it was different game and i did not like gameplay. It is best you can do about TES MMO ... find info about it (when it launches) and if you dont like it don't buy it. I if you buy it because there is TES on box ... then screw you.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

I chose the first option, but would love to see alternate rules servers like full PVP only as was done back in DAOC.

Doubt we'll ever see it happen though.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• aylwynnaylwynn Member Posts: 94

Oh dear that thread again ... The only option would be "setup your preferences yourself". Since you will be able to set your preferences (hardcore, casual, soloplayer, groupplayer, roleplay and so on) open PvP should be an option, too.

To be honest ... I don't like open PvP therefore you'll find me only in Cyrodiil. But if people want it they can set their preferences themselves and thats it. I wouldn't like to see some Nords or Mers in High Rocks at all. Eventually you could do that while setting PvP as server/campaign preference.

This game will have its focus on Alliance vs Alliance. Thus people shouldn't expect somehow new content for PvPing in hostile zones ...

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by coretex666
    I am for Full PvP all areas. I do not like having PvP limited to special areas / zones. It kind of takes away the thrill. In my opinion, having PvP allowed in all areas brings the element of surprise and the necessity to watch your back. If you go to a PvP zone, you expect that PvP will happen, so you are prepared for that.This is why I am a supporter of OWPvP.I would not mind having newbie areas as sanctuaries like it is done in WoW.

i agree with you but i will just say that from what i have read, cyrodiil will very much be a pvp area with caves and quests just like a pve zone.

so that element of surprise should still be there if done correctly.

you would not expect pvp to go down in that area any more than you would in a fully open pvp world.

either way you will expect pvp to go down at any moment and should be on your toes.

when there are pve elements thrown into the mix, that's when the element of surprise factors in.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

No faction locked races.

Faction selection is players choice (give us the option to not be part of the war!!!)

100% explorable world.

PvP in Cyrodil.

Optional PvP outside Cyrodil where factions can flag for PvP but cannot attack non flagged players (Think wearing a uniform or not. If you don't have uniform on you are just a nobody).

Simples...

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272

lol the funny thing is... even with the unrelentless whining the "current design" comes out on top... by far.

lol... nice :) least we can see that this faction lock its only the "vocal minority".

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Crazyhorsek

lol the funny thing is... even with the unrelentless whining the "current design" comes out on top... by far.

lol... nice :) least we can see that this faction lock its only the "vocal minority".

How do you work that out?

35% so far for the way it is, the rest for more open PvP....65%.

But hey, if you are happy selling to 35% of your customer base then good for you.

BTW 54 votes is hardly gonna proove anything eitherway so trying to gain some moral high ground or some sort of victory is kinda dumb.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Yeah :)

But even if it was 90% the acolytes of doom and gloom would still say that the 90% just don't understand the issue.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TraugarTraugar Member UncommonPosts: 183
    I say let the devs make the game that they have envisioned.  If it's a success then good.  If not then oh well another mmo for the pile so no big loss. I just get tired of seeing everyone hop on the forums complaining about every game no being the way they want it.  We know what happens when they try to please everyone.  We end up with another wow clone.  I like TES.  I like DAOC so this game should be ok for me. 
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

But hey, if you are happy selling to 35% of your customer base then good for you.

BTW 54 votes is hardly gonna proove anything eitherway so trying to gain some moral high ground or some sort of victory is kinda dumb.

There is also some percentage of MMORPG's that have played ES.  A pretty high proportion I'd say, so this isn't just a sample off the street.

Would it be too outlandish to say that a huge portion of MMORPG'ers also play or have played Elder Scrolls?

The poll results were random,  A http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margin_of_error margin of error exists, but it won't sway much from what we see.

And Maelwydd, I'm amazed too at what is being sold.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    I like the DAoC system. This is just like DAoC 3 faction map with a PvP battlegroud. 4 maps for the win.
  • PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

No faction locked races.

Faction selection is players choice (give us the option to not be part of the war!!!)

100% explorable world.

PvP in Cyrodil.

Optional PvP outside Cyrodil where factions can flag for PvP but cannot attack non flagged players (Think wearing a uniform or not. If you don't have uniform on you are just a nobody).

Simples...

I would be very interested in ESO if this was how Zenimax decided to do it.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610

How dose 1st option stand on its own and all the other optiond add up as one vote? lol. Also I am sure if you had access to all 3 faction maps everyone would not be happy. The game is designed to be played one faction, one map. My bet is quest and story will repeat in each area to a large degree and would not make sense as each faction is at war and the NPCs and quests in each area will reflect that. I am sure they would need to do to much work just to let another faction walk on another faction map to make it worth it.