Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FTP-Bred Community?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
Every time I log in to PoE, I'm taken aback by the immaturity and sheer number of insults thrown around in general chat.  Want to make a trade?  Good luck.  Need some advice?  Even worse.  This is my first FTP game.  Is this what the community is like in most FTP games?  Ugh...

Comments

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

lol...Tera is known for having one of the single worst communities going today.

Also, ever hear of BARRENS CHAT? Yeah...so tell me again about how great P2P communities are.

BTW, go log in to any LoTRo servers and witness one of the BEST communities in an MMO.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    the internet is full of douchebags.  it's not just free to play games.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    I played WoW for years, and Barrens Chat was nowhere near this bad.  Lots of stupid jokes, but not people being so downright mean to each other.  Of course, general chat in PoE reflects a lot more people at one time.
  • YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Sorry OP but my experience has been completely different. I ask a question and usually get an answer. Sometimes if there is a lot of chatting I have to ask twice.
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Oh please, I dont want to hear it...I got so SICK AND TIRED of Chuck Norris jokes in WoW I created a mod that auto blocked them...as for people being mean to each other, sorry but that was really bad in WoW also, hell its really really bad in Tera.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

It's this kind of bullshit, along with online bullying, that is going to eventually force the world governments to get rid of the anonymity.  

Enjoy it while it lasts.

And to the offenders, screw you.

We'll all be able to say, "I remember when the internet was free and anonymous" to our grandchildren.

• LadyEupheiLadyEuphei Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Originally posted by vigg2004
    I played WoW for years, and Barrens Chat was nowhere near this bad.  Lots of stupid jokes, but not people being so downright mean to each other.  Of course, general chat in PoE reflects a lot more people at one time.

Obviously you were not in the same barrens as me. I played in vanilla so maybe you were not around in my time, but the community in PoE is terrific at worst compared to old barrens chat. Also, compared to Tera (and this is before FTP or the announcement) PoE is a freaking church. Other communities are far worse.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

Maybe I've just been logging in at a bad time, when all the kiddies are playing.  I've been playing MMO's since EQ (including WoW since beta) and I've really been surprised by what I've seen in PoE.  Not enough to make me quit the game, but it's been disheartening.

Is there a way to ignore individuals?

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Since when did anything for free not attract d-bags from all walks of life. Get used to it, they are the future of F2P gaming. LOL
  • PTEDPTED Member Posts: 464

A PoE-specific fix is to play in the Hardcore League, no joke.

Default is a melting pot of the worst attitudes you can possibly find online. For the most part, the worst you'll get in Hardcore is the one-upmanship that follows someone posting a Unique / other exceptionally good item.

• ChramChram Member Posts: 91
    Try HC global chat. In my experience it is always helpful, players asking for stuff get their advice. It is heads and shoulders above default chat and always has been.
  • Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

Community in POE is downright toxic.  Its far worse than tera was on that one pvp server that reddit and 4chan joined.  That community sucked because it was all alienware and meme jokes non stop.  POE's community is bad because it is rude, vicious, extremely defensive, and obsessed with D3.

Its not your normal f2p community.  Its the disgruntled D3 community, without that segment the game would be a tiny blip on the radar.

Community in POE makes things like multiplayer, trades, asking for help, or any attempt at conversation futile.  I play with all chats turned off and solo. 

Its like any community full of ex blizzard fans turned haters.  Any excuse to tell you to go back to a blizzard game and insult you is taken with great excitement by lots of people.  Any reason.  Dont understand something?  "GTFO and go back to D3 you retarded blizzard fan" ect.  Its crazy.  Very unhealthy for a game thats suppose to be in beta (despite its a marketing excuse beta with all systems up and running including cash shop and a gurantee of no more wipes)

The game has a LOT of issues that will get ignored simply becasue its an excuse for 99% of the community to enact some form of revenge on blizzard for not making D3 and exact copy of D2. 

Think the clunky combat needs improvement?  Think the skill gem system is lacking?  Think the constant mob dsync deaths is fustrating?  Well the community will waste no time telling you what kind of person you are for such thoughts.

Its not a bad game.  A LOT of the games systems that are trumpeted as fantastic are in reality subpar once you figure them out.  It looks nice, but truth is theres many better ARPG games out there, some more complex once you get over the fact that they just tossed every stat boost possibility onto one page and youll end up making te complex choice betweeen a few % of health vs a few % damage boost in the end.

Give POE some time and perhaps the game will rid itself of combat that is years behind even D2, make the passive skill web as complex as it appears at first, and give the game some fun skills (possibly reworking the terrible skill gem system which is more restrictive than it needs to be) and it will be a decent ARPG.

Still youll probably be playing the game with all chats muted alone...which to me ruins the ARPG experience since another hated game excels in making multiplayer worthwhile and fun....and has a fantastic combat system too...which to me is the most important factor in an ARPG game where your meant to farm for gear for hours on end.

• karmuskarmus Member Posts: 7

I can see why someone might tell you to "GTFO and go back to D3 you retarded blizzard fan". You seem to think you know whats best for the game, while a significant number of people will disagree with you. And thats fine, its your own opinion, just don't go throwing it around as if it is some kind of factual way to improve the game.  No i dont think the combat needs to be improved, and no the skill gem system isn't particularly lacking.  Having to turn off general chat ruins the arpg experience for you huh? I'm seriously wondering at this point if you have even played any arpg's besides diablo 3.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by LadyEuphei
    Originally posted by vigg2004

Obviously you were not in the same barrens as me. I played in vanilla so maybe you were not around in my time, but the community in PoE is terrific at worst compared to old barrens chat. Also, compared to Tera (and this is before FTP or the announcement) PoE is a freaking church. Other communities are far worse.

In the beginning WoW community was actually pretty helpful, nice , and informative. Over time a short period of time though it went downhill.

Well...probably more like fell off the side of a fucking cliff. Was kind of disparaging to watch happen.

Far as the POE community goes seems about the same you see in any game with a chat system.

Amazingly the worst I've ever experienced was GA. Some of the ongoing racial slurs and obscenity laced tirades in that game's chat would make even the most resolute troll blush.

Then again I do only play in HC so default could be a completely different story community wise.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Yizle
    Sorry OP but my experience has been completely different. I ask a question and usually get an answer. Sometimes if there is a lot of chatting I have to ask twice.

I don't play PoE often, but when I have my experience has been similar to yours. Maybe we just play on the good days. :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Now whenever i have played POE i have not seen this at all... maybe its the time of day im on.. UK evenings most of the time but i dont notice any major issues with chat.. sure there is some crap on there but its the same as any game.
  • DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

During my short stints playing F2P DDO, LotRO, DCUO, I never had any really bad experiences with the community.  Terra is VERY bad though, PoE, maybe I'm just REALLY good at not reading the chat, but it didnt seem THAT bad, then again ive only played a few hours.

It's really not a fair representation of F2P games as a whole. 

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    I had general chat on in PoE the first day of OB, switched it off a few hours later and it has stayed off since. Now I only have trade up.
    Originally posted by Derros

During my short stints playing F2P DDO, LotRO, DCUO, I never had any really bad experiences with the community.  Terra is VERY bad though, PoE, maybe I'm just REALLY good at not reading the chat, but it didnt seem THAT bad, then again ive only played a few hours.

It's really not a fair representation of F2P games as a whole. 

TERA gets a bad rap for its chat because of the newbie area. Once past that, the chat is far more pleasant.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Originally posted by Acidon

It's this kind of bullshit, along with online bullying, that is going to eventually force the world governments to get rid of the anonymity.  

Enjoy it while it lasts.

And to the offenders, screw you.

We'll all be able to say, "I remember when the internet was free and anonymous" to our grandchildren.

have to sign here under

X

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Scratch out the 2nd or 3rd element of that equation and you rarely get the same result. This equation btw is valid in all games, just that in F2P people have "less to lose" if they're total fuckwads.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Originally posted by Derros
    During my short stints playing F2P DDO, LotRO, DCUO, I never had any really bad experiences with the community.  Terra is VERY bad though, PoE, maybe I'm just REALLY good at not reading the chat, but it didnt seem THAT bad, then again ive only played a few hours.   It's really not a fair representation of F2P games as a whole. 

TERA gets a bad rap for its chat because of the newbie area. Once past that, the chat is far more pleasant.

I've playerd TERA, and I didn't think the chat was in any way bad. I mean, there was one person being a dbag, but I quickly reported him because he said something he should not have. But other than that, it was actually pretty entertaining.

• negacrowbarnegacrowbar Member Posts: 149

If you are going to name your own posts in the future, please use consistent internet language....FTP is file transfer protocol and F2P is free to play....

I actually clicked on this post wondering what file trransfer had to do with POE...

While I might agree with you about the chat in game, I am too busy actually playing the game to worry about chat...

Chat does need to be more proximity and based on zones, that would help becuase it is hard to read through all the BS to actually help people who have legitamite questions...

Originally posted by negacrowbar

I actually clicked on this post wondering what file trransfer had to do with POE...

Same here. :)

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by Vigg
    Every time I log in to PoE, I'm taken aback by the immaturity and sheer number of insults thrown around in general chat.  Want to make a trade?  Good luck.  Need some advice?  Even worse.  This is my first FTP game.  Is this what the community is like in most FTP games?  Ugh...

Very strange - i've had the complete opposite experience.  People have been helpful to me and to one another.  Even when one of the top guys in Hardcore died tonight (level 88 -  ranked 19th on the ladder), people congratulated him on the effort and said a 'RIP' for his character.

Although I tend to play after 10:00pm PST, when most of the kiddies are in bed.  I found the community to be pretty helpful and somewhat sincere.

Edit: I will agree that Tera's newbie zone had, by far, the most annoying, angst-ridden, ready to lash out at anyone for anything, type of atmosphere.  Its like all the nerdy, rage filled teenage kids across America were put in the same game, in the same zone, at the same time.  Never have I witness such hate-spewed language stemming from a simple debate about the number of CPU cores making a game run better.

Barrens chat on my server (Balnazzar - US) was never really that bad - more lulz then anything else.

The biggest blind fanboism I have ever witness were SWTOR players.  Some of these people would simply NOT accept any criticism of the game during those first few months, despite it being obvious and effecting everybody.  When I stated in general chat one day that my Bounty Hunter's healing felt 'clunky', I was told to 'STFU - use F1-F5, and stop being bad'.  LOL