Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tab-Targetting PLEASE...

Comments

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599
    Originally posted by Plastic-Metal

Stiler, I'm not sure of your thought process, but if you want your arguments to be valid in life..  don't compare apples to oranges.  Team Fortress is an FPS game.. not an RPG or MMO, by any means.

My second post was a completely separate thought from my previous post, but pointed out the difficulties that could arise from including what others previously discussed, which was body blocking ... also known as collison detection.

The guy you quoted was talking about healing with FREE AIM.  Then you mentioed free aim and healing.

I used TF2 as an example of an FPS game, that's twitch based with free aim that has healing in it, do you understnad the connection there?

My second reply to you was about collision detection, where you mention problems, and I mentioned that being able to use our body to block in a game needs to have counters, where people tank leap over a tank, or mages can levitate/knock them out of the way (and some tnaks might have a "lock " ability where they hunker down and can't be moved for "x" time to counter that counter.

This is how you can still have depth and tactics in a game, evne if it has free aim.

Originally posted by Qallidexz
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

So the OP just wants everyone standing still facing each other and playing "hotkey war". That is pretty old school, but not very fun or interesting now that latency isn't a big issue anymore.

I think there are benefits to both systems, but movement is definitely something that makes combat more interesting. The OP is rather condescending though basically saying anyone who doesn't play his way is an idiot little kid who plays COD.

I hate COD but I still think action combat is a blast in MMOs.

Have you ever PvPed n a tab target game?  

Are people really that clueless to think that tab target games people just stand still and press 123412341234?  thats the impression this thread is giving me.

Tab targeting only produces standing around in PvE where the tank locks the mob down for the dps to stand still and whack away.  PvP is always constant motion.  

And latency will always be an issue.  Not everyone lives close enough to their server that latency isnt an issue.

Yea. that's the problem, all these people who've never played an MMO before are advocating twitch combat, cuz they think it's somehow more complex, or more advanced, or more innovative, but in reality, it's not any of those things, just a game-wrecker, that's all.

A lot of you tab target players like to assume things of other people. I have never demeaned anyone, called anyone names and i don't make blanket statements or generalizations.

I have pvp'd in mmo's from UO, AC, EQ, DAOC, Shadowbane, WoW, etc. Some of us who advocate a free aim combat that leans toward a more action visceral combat experience merely prefer that, because we both enjoy it bettar and also because the usual tab-target/hotkey combat of mmo's has gotten stale.

I understand some people prefer tab target, that's fine, everyone has their right to their own opinion. However it really irks me when people think everyone who likes twitch combat is a "noob" to mmo's or is some childish CoD player who doesn't understand tactics.

You can have depth, tactics, and EVERYTHING you like about tab-target games, with free aim. THe ability ot actually AIM and not use tab-target or any kind of /stick /face command in NO WAY means you can't have abilities and other tactics that tab-target rpgs have. It merely means that aiming is on the player instead of the character, and for some of us that makes it more fun.

As I've said before, I'd love to play an archer, but I would find it 10x more fun to actually have to aim my shots, account for the drop, the movement of the other player, etc. To me that is more fun then tab-target, and then hitting the hotkey.

I respect everyones opinion, this is just my own.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

So the OP just wants everyone standing still facing each other and playing "hotkey war". That is pretty old school, but not very fun or interesting now that latency isn't a big issue anymore.

I think there are benefits to both systems, but movement is definitely something that makes combat more interesting. The OP is rather condescending though basically saying anyone who doesn't play his way is an idiot little kid who plays COD.

Are people really that clueless to think that tab target games people just stand still and press 123412341234?  thats the impression this thread is giving me.

Tab targeting only produces standing around in PvE where the tank locks the mob down for the dps to stand still and whack away.  PvP is always constant motion.  

And latency will always be an issue.  Not everyone lives close enough to their server that latency isnt an issue.

Yea. that's the problem, all these people who've never played an MMO before are advocating twitch combat, cuz they think it's somehow more complex, or more advanced, or more innovative, but in reality, it's not any of those things, just a game-wrecker, that's all.

Don't assume things. I've played every major MMO since before EverQuest including DAoC. And that style of combat was innovative back then, but have you played DAOC recently? That combat is pretty boring by todays standards.

Thats just me though, I've grown to enjoy action combat in MMOs. I still enjoy strategies and tactical advantages. But I don't think that memorizing 100 different skills is the bees knees. Dodging your attack, and then stabbing you in the back however...is pretty awesome.

You're allowed to have your opinion. But i don't appreciate the way you are trying to make anyone who doesn't agree with you out to be a child or an idiot COD fan. You're the one who is acting childish.

I've played many games, and DAoC I thought had the most fun combat system and PvP of any game I've ever played... and I can understand if you want a twitch-based MMOFPS combat system, all I'm saying is this isn't the place to do it...  From what I understand, Darkfall's still going fairly strong, and has an expansion and/or sequal  coming out, maybe you should look into that.

I'm actually not interested in CU. I'm mostly a PvE player. Neverwinter is the game I currently have my eye on. And I wouldn't call it MMOFPS I would call it Action MMORPG combat. Firefall is an MMOFPS combat game though.

I only responded to this thread, because I didn't appreciate the way you addressed your concerns. I hope in the future you will try not to insult people who have different tastes in gameplay. We are all here because (presumably) we are all MMORPG fans! No need to disrespect each other.

You can bash the Call of Duty guys all you want though ;)

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599

Don't assume things. I've played every major MMO since before EverQuest including DAoC. And that style of combat was innovative back then, but have you played DAOC recently? That combat is pretty boring by todays standards.

Thats just me though, I've grown to enjoy action combat in MMOs. I still enjoy strategies and tactical advantages. But I don't think that memorizing 100 different skills is the bees knees. Dodging your attack, and then stabbing you in the back however...is pretty awesome.

You're allowed to have your opinion. But i don't appreciate the way you are trying to make anyone who doesn't agree with you out to be a child or an idiot COD fan. You're the one who is acting childish.

I've played many games, and DAoC I thought had the most fun combat system and PvP of any game I've ever played... and I can understand if you want a twitch-based MMOFPS combat system, all I'm saying is this isn't the place to do it...  From what I understand, Darkfall's still going fairly strong, and has an expansion and/or sequal  coming out, maybe you should look into that.

I'm actually not interested in CU. I'm mostly a PvE player. Neverwinter is the game I currently have my eye on. And I wouldn't call it MMOFPS I would call it Action MMORPG combat. Firefall is an MMOFPS combat game though.

I only responded to this thread, because I didn't appreciate the way you addressed your concerns. I hope in the future you will try not to insult people who have different tastes in gameplay. We are all here because (presumably) we are all MMORPG fans! No need to disrespect each other.

I have never insulted anyone in this thread, never named called nor bashed anyone, I've tried to keep my posts as civil as possible while expressing my opinion.

I am loking forward to Neverwinter as well (can't wait for the second beta event coming up) and the combat in it was enjoyabjle, from what little i played this past event. really want to try the control mage though, it looks to be the most fun compared to the other known classes.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

My fellow DAoC warriors! So many games nowadays are moving towards the "free-form" targetting system (not to be confused with real-time combat, which is a different thing, and you can have both tab-target and real time), but I remember the glory days, where tab-targetting was all there is. Some of the newer MMO'ers tend to get it into their heads that no tab-targetting is somehow "better", because it takes more "skill". Well, running through people, jumping around them, strafing side to side, all that is just an annoyance, as the true MMO fans know, those who played DAoC, real skill comes from knowing what to do, and when to do it (spell-wise, and ability-wise) not from trying to run through your opponent (hense the /face, and /stick commands had to be implemented).

Free-form targetting does not make for fun combat, tab-targetting makes for fun combat, but without tab-targetting, it's just little kids who are used to playing Call of Duty, jumping around their opponents, and over their heads, to gain an advantage, because they're not smart enough to figure out which spells they need to cast and when, or capable of figuring out what abilities to use at the right times, so they just jump around a lot. Let's avoid this in CU, and get back to the good ole' days, you with me?

I dunno that. MMO combat should have a strategical part to it, but tab targetting wasnt really the best part of that, just like skill rotations demands little strategical skill...

Personally I like semi-tab targetting systems like AoC and GW2 instead, tab targetting for ranged combat while in melee you just go and hit something.

And no, I am not a little kid and started my MMO career with Mertidian 59.

Originally posted by Stiler

I have never insulted anyone in this thread, never named called nor bashed anyone, I've tried to keep my posts as civil as possible while expressing my opinion.

I am loking forward to Neverwinter as well (can't wait for the second beta event coming up) and the combat in it was enjoyabjle, from what little i played this past event. really want to try the control mage though, it looks to be the most fun compared to the other known classes.

I was responding to Qalidexz, who basically said action combat is retarded and for little COD kids who are too stupid for tab targeting combat.

And ya, i'm dying to try Control Wizard though Trickster Rogue was the most fun I ever had playing a Rogue.

Originally posted by Loke666

My fellow DAoC warriors! So many games nowadays are moving towards the "free-form" targetting system (not to be confused with real-time combat, which is a different thing, and you can have both tab-target and real time), but I remember the glory days, where tab-targetting was all there is. Some of the newer MMO'ers tend to get it into their heads that no tab-targetting is somehow "better", because it takes more "skill". Well, running through people, jumping around them, strafing side to side, all that is just an annoyance, as the true MMO fans know, those who played DAoC, real skill comes from knowing what to do, and when to do it (spell-wise, and ability-wise) not from trying to run through your opponent (hense the /face, and /stick commands had to be implemented).

Free-form targetting does not make for fun combat, tab-targetting makes for fun combat, but without tab-targetting, it's just little kids who are used to playing Call of Duty, jumping around their opponents, and over their heads, to gain an advantage, because they're not smart enough to figure out which spells they need to cast and when, or capable of figuring out what abilities to use at the right times, so they just jump around a lot. Let's avoid this in CU, and get back to the good ole' days, you with me?

I dunno that. MMO combat should have a strategical part to it, but tab targetting wasnt really the best part of that, just like skill rotations demands little strategical skill...

Personally I like semi-tab targetting systems like AoC and GW2 instead, tab targetting for ranged combat while in melee you just go and hit something.

And no, I am not a little kid and started my MMO career with Mertidian 59.

Meridian 59 FTW! Now if that game ever got a proper sequel or even just some big content updates it would be the best MMO of all time still. Ah...one can dream...

• QallidexzQallidexz Member Posts: 253

I was responding to Qalidexz, who basically said action combat is retarded and for little COD kids who are too stupid for tab targeting combat.

Yea, I said the same thing in the official ESO forums, but low and behold, they won anyway. I guess we're both wasting our time here.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I dont like tab targeting myself i find it very boring, a proper combat system along the lines of mount and blade would be awesome..

Still it wont be the end of the world if it does turn out to be tab targeting but for me it wont be as much fun and im not a COD kid lol infact i hate COD mroe of an ARMA fan LOL.

So not im not with you..

Originally posted by Caldrin

So not im not with you..

As long as you support the Kickstarter, that's fine with me.

• SmorakSmorak Member Posts: 62

This entire thread is hilarious.  If you're trying to say that console mechanics are better for a PC MMO, you're really fooling yourself.  

When you have 2 hot bars center and 2 on the side, do you really think your free aim is optimal?  There's a reason almost every FPS out there can be played with a controller:  limited abilities.  The action may be considered more fast paced.  But that is only because you can die a lot faster

Now hush this talk... seriously.

And stop calling it "tab targetting."  The more you use it, the more people think thats what they actual mechanic is called.  Not all games have a "nearest target" function but they still use a "locked" target aiming system.  Tab is generally the default button for the "nearest target" function.  Which only REALLY bad players utilize anyways.

• VindicarVindicar Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Originally posted by Smorak

This entire thread is hilarious.  If you're trying to say that console mechanics are better for a PC MMO, you're really fooling yourself.  

Thanks for the great insight. You clearly took a while to think about it under every angle.

When you have 2 hot bars center and 2 on the side, do you really think your free aim is optimal?  There's a reason almost every FPS out there can be played with a controller:  limited abilities.  The action may be considered more fast paced.  But that is only because you can die a lot faster

Oh sorry here's your argument.... "action gameplay = limited numbers of abilitys"... okay... well... It been sayd allready but a lot of Darkfall and Fallen Earth players would disagree and a lot of DC Universe players would add that numbers of skills =/= enjoyement.

yaaah so serious wow !

And stop calling it "tab targetting."  The more you use it, the more people think thats what they actual mechanic is called.  Not all games have a "nearest target" function but they still use a "locked" target aiming system.   

SIR YES SIR !

But since we actually use Tab to target I though it could be okayish to still say so ? :;| No ? Okay sorry !

Tab is generally the default button for the "nearest target" function.  Which only REALLY bad players utilize anyways.

Ahaha perfect conclusion Thanks a lot. This is actually the part that gave me the will to answer you. It shows you have absolutely no experience in MMORPGs OR a very selective memory. In some situations it is simply a must have. If you never encountered one of those situation, you are FAR from being a fair reference in term of experience on that matter.

No offense mate !

Old school french hardcore whiner. Online since T4C.

I was "Namless" and "Daroot" in AO (Rk2)
    Been known as "Vindicar" (Aion (EU), SWTOR (EU), WoW (EU).
    Recently  Known as "Wundicar" and "Wundee" in Age of Wushu (US) and Wulin (EU)

Franky Rivera Reyes , From the Reyes Brotherhood (Star Citizen)

Originally posted by Vindicar
    Originally posted by Smorak

Thanks for the great insight. You clearly took a while to think about it under every angle.

Oh sorry here's your argument.... "action gameplay = limited numbers of abilitys"... okay... well... It been sayd allready but a lot of Darkfall and Fallen Earth players would disagree and a lot of DC Universe players would add that numbers of skills =/= enjoyement.

yaaah so serious wow !

And stop calling it "tab targetting."  The more you use it, the more people think thats what they actual mechanic is called.  Not all games have a "nearest target" function but they still use a "locked" target aiming system.   

SIR YES SIR !

But since we actually use Tab to target I though it could be okayish to still say so ? :;| No ? Okay sorry !

Tab is generally the default button for the "nearest target" function.  Which only REALLY bad players utilize anyways.

Ahaha perfect conclusion Thanks a lot. This is actually the part that gave me the will to answer you. It shows you have absolutely no experience in MMORPGs OR a very selective memory. In some situations it is simply a must have. If you never encountered one of those situation, you are FAR from being a fair reference in term of experience on that matter.

sNo offense mate !

Spell check is your friend amigo. Seriously man, no offense, but I have a terrible time reading your posts with all the spelling errors you have in there. How old are you? Just curious.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Call me old fashioned, but I like clicking on my targets....I choose you!
  • VindicarVindicar Member UncommonPosts: 138

Spell check is your friend amigo. Seriously man, no offense, but I have a terrible time reading your posts with all the spelling errors you have in there. How old are you? Just curious.

I can't use an english spell check since I'm not fluent in english, it would pretty oftenly misslead me. I prefer my good old approximativ english.

I'm french speaking person and translating what I think (in french) directly into english is usually impossible so I have to "think" in english... this is why it's sometimes really messy. :D

Nothing to do with how old I am... you could have guess that...

Old school french hardcore whiner. Online since T4C.

I was "Namless" and "Daroot" in AO (Rk2)
    Been known as "Vindicar" (Aion (EU), SWTOR (EU), WoW (EU).
    Recently  Known as "Wundicar" and "Wundee" in Age of Wushu (US) and Wulin (EU)

Franky Rivera Reyes , From the Reyes Brotherhood (Star Citizen)

Originally posted by Vindicar

I can't use an english spell check since I'm not fluent in english, it would pretty oftenly misslead me. I prefer my good old approximativ english.

I'm french speaking person and translating what I think (in french) directly into english is usually impossible so I have to "think" in english... this is why it's sometimes really messy. :D

Nothing to do with how old I am... you could have guess that...

LOL, You're French... You're right... I should've guessed that.

• CananCanan Member UncommonPosts: 95

DAoC was never a twitch based game. Why would they make it so now? That would be like the creator of Call of Duty making the next release a strategy based game. It just doesn't make much sense...

If you didn't enjoy the combat of DAoC why in the world are you here discussing the creation of a game devoted to the fans of the original? Odd. 

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    lol@trolls who are saying that if you take away tab target combat and implement fps style aiming, the tactical part of game gets lost. LOL? Can you get dafter than that?
    Originally posted by StarI
    lol@trolls who are saying that if you take away tab target combat and implement fps style aiming, the tactical part of game gets lost. LOL? Can you get dafter than that?

I wouldn't be so quick to call someone daft. 

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Originally posted by Canan
    Originally posted by StarI

I wouldn't be so quick to call someone daft. 

Do you know a better word for someone who claims tactical part is lost when you use fps aiming instead tab targetting?

Originally posted by Canan

DAoC was never a twitch based game. Why would they make it so now? That would be like the creator of Call of Duty making the next release a strategy based game. It just doesn't make much sense...

If you didn't enjoy the combat of DAoC why in the world are you here discussing the creation of a game devoted to the fans of the original? Odd. 

Yea, seriously,  I don't know what they're doing here... One of them even admitted he had no intention of playing the game, lol.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Caldrin

So not im not with you..

As long as you support the Kickstarter, that's fine with me.

Im pretty sure i will be even if it is tab target :) we need a good PVP MMORPG

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

So you have played every MMORPG yet you think PvP in 'tab target' games is standing still mashing keys?  Either you are lying about playing other games, lying about how tab target games work to try to sell your point, or clueless.  And I am going to assume you arent clueless.

You are allowed to have your opinion, but when you have to tell lies to try to sell your opinion no one will take it seriously and you deserve anything you get thrown back at you.

So you have played every MMORPG yet you think PvP in 'tab target' games is standing still mashing keys?  Either you are lying about playing other games, lying about how tab target games work to try to sell your point, or clueless.  And I am going to assume you arent clueless.

You are allowed to have your opinion, but when you have to tell lies to try to sell your opinion no one will take it seriously and you deserve anything you get thrown back at you.

Amen.

• ShadowdawnzShadowdawnz Member UncommonPosts: 201

Has anyone seen the anime Sword Art Online or .hack// ? 

I imagine, maybe, 90% of you hate anime, but the idea of where MMO's will go is demonstrated very well in these 2 anime. 

It's a pretty obvious step for humans to make video games more realistic. I imagine alot of you wish you were there, in person, fighting the final raid boss in some dungeon.Wielding sword,shield, bow, staff... etc..  I mean that's what role playing games are about. Look at the Cryengine or Unreal engine to name a few that are pushing the boundaries and moving into the greater depths of our conscious. Getting closer to realizing our dreams in video games. 

I think this debacle of a conversation is only touching the surface of a much deeper problem. We should be embracing the future of gaming technology and the imagination of any developper who are reaching to make their games as close to reality while still trying to maintain a fantasy setting. 

Maybe, that never was the purpose...

Tab Targetting or Free form combat are only precursors to a greater combat system. Your rants are as bickering children over morsels of cake. 

Be blessed..

Shadow

• xaleexalee Member UncommonPosts: 11
    As long as i can use my mouse to click on things and not to be my only movement ( like diablo 3) Ill be happy. I dont like games where you can't use your mouse i feel restricted.