Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No One Quits WoW

Comments

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    I played WOW it took a few years before I stopped by sub for the first time. By now, I lost count how many times a unsubbed and resubbed.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Quit 2/28/2011. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Played WoW for about 6 months during Burning Crusade while on a break from EQ2 raiding. Did WoW raiding and got end game quite easily. Never had any staying power for me.

I think the crack effect only applies to gamers where WoW was their first MMO. I have the same relationship with Everquest 1, which was my first foray into online gaming. But WoW holds no special appeal to me, it just feels like a lesser EQ clone.

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Originally posted by evilastro

Played WoW for about 6 months during Burning Crusade while on a break from EQ2 raiding. Did WoW raiding and got end game quite easily. Never had any staying power for me.

I think the crack effect only applies to gamers where WoW was their first MMO. I have the same relationship with Everquest 1, which was my first foray into online gaming. But WoW holds no special appeal to me, it just feels like a lesser EQ clone.

Yep, same here. Played for 3 months and was done with it. I was basically forced to play it too.

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812
    I quit several years ago. I unforunately bought into the hype over the panda express expansion, came back for a day or two and quit again. Each time I quit I say I will not say I will never play again, cause you never know, but with each return visit to azeroth and each subsequent cancelation, it becomes more and more likely I will never play again.
  • aylwynnaylwynn Member Posts: 94

I quit playing some months after Burning Crusade release ... It was pretty good till that days. Classic was most fun.

Well ... To be honest I gave it a try for one week because I wanted to get more into the lore. But actually you level way to fast, don't have that much time for exploration because you outlevel the zones pretty fast and so on ... Its not my type of MMORPG anymore.

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459
    Originally posted by Dihoru

World of Warcraft if it had been launched earlier would've likely ended up like Everquest, good profit but mediocre overall, circumstances and pure dumb luck on the part of the publisher meant it became the game of the first global generation of PC gamers to have near unrestricted access to the internet. That is all. Innovation-wise the true success story of that generation which is a game which is still growing and still very much alive is EVE-Online, if the devs play their cards right that game will outlive any other game out there (they could easily squeeze another decade of life from it but if they start expanding wormhole space and 0.0 again all bets are truly off as to how long it could last).

Would have to pretty much disagree with most of that last paragraph, i don't think you can attribute 'dumb luck' to what Blizzard have done with WoW or any of their other successes, but if you go down that road you could also say that EvE was damned lucky that EA killed Earth & Beyond which left those players starved for a space bound MMO.

Played Eve for quiet a while, had two accounts in there for several months and enjoyed the gate wars with other corps in 0.0, planning mining ops with my corp friends and building my ravens to pilot them into battle, but when people talk of games with a long grind that is always the one that comes to mind for me. I have never known any other game that was such a time sink as that one. I returned to it recently and even after all of the updates, it is still essentially the same game that i used to enjoy, but again still the same three reasons i would never return full time;

1 - Training is just designed to keep you there as long as possible

2 - Only 1 meaningful character per account

3 - Time sink, if you can't dedicate sevarl hours per session there is little point playing

I can take your point of them being able to keep the game running for many years to come as they have built a sustainable model, but i don't think that it will ever become a mainstream game for the reasons above, the niche subject of the game and the few large corporations that now in all reality run it.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• OmiragOmirag Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Originally posted by m0lly
    started back in 2003-04 with beta and still playing it, on and off just like you said, playing too much needs break and then go back. these peaople who say i played 1 year and then quit are not really mmo gamers , they just want to be but really they just want to play single players games, also people who said i quit after vanilla i quit after burning crusade. thats just so last season phrase it can stop already. there was nothing wrong with lich king expansion. the lore is stil lthere and mostly , you play because of lore not because of game itself.

This is what is scary about WoW. I saw one of my friends go down this blind acceptance road. He played day in and day out and made several alts. He complained all the time about the game, but if you said anything against it he would defend it with all of his energy. It really shows how people lack a real purpose. People need something they can do, and do well. Wow provides that so they have some sembelance to accomplishment in life. But what is an accomplishment without someone to show it too? I think this is the real hook of WoW. Every one of your virtual achievements are shared with thousands of other people so you can feel good. This is a exponential growth of enjoyment based on the amount of people that know your accomplishements. It is unhealthy, even destructive, and it is genius. 

This poster says something about," not being real mmo players" and I reply to that by saying, "the people that do not obsess over WoW are significant in real life and thus do not need wow to have purpose." This makes it easy for us to quit when we dont like it and never go back, but that is more of a personal strength than a dislike of the genre.

Some comments are true, about WoW being digital crack. It is scary to see them. Generally they go from being healthy people into looking close to zombies. Something is in WoW that makes people want to give up on living. I guess I just didnt inhale enough.

Either way.

Quit when they put elves on my team, never looked back once, nuff said.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    I've unsubbed countless times, but can't say I've ever "quit".  Heck, I know several people that quit "for good" and even deleted all their toons to avoid temptation.  One friend even "sold" his account.  The ones that deleted their toons, filed a petition to get them back and the one that sold his account just bought a new one.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    I quit WoW after playing Cata for a month. After that I tried MoP beta once, and have never been back. But before Cata, it really was like crack, where I was bored of it, but I just couldnt put it down for any extensive period of time. Now it could be all just be coincidence and IRL just caught up to me, but all I know is that I was finally able to quit.
  • BlueTiger33BlueTiger33 Member Posts: 158

I quit WoW after Wrath.

I'm now enjoying subbing TSW...real decent game.

I will never support freeloaders, no more subsidized gaming.
    My Blog
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Dampyre
    i beta tested wow i came back only once and it was just to spend more time with a girl , then we broke up and i quit again i will never go back sorry not true.

actually you didnt leave it, since you never "played" it :) you've been in beta? uuuh impressive. welcome to the club.

whowver plays wow "to spend time with a girl" didnt get what he could do in that time imo :P

just saying

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Sibcoe

Hi everyone -

I wanted to share a show I did about coming back to WoW and what the game is really about.  I have been enjoying it and hope you ejoy hearing my thoughts on why "no one ever really quits WoW."

No One Quits WoW

Are you playing WoW, did you come back for MOP, are you having fun?

Cheers 0/

I played WOW in beta - tried the first week. I left and have not been back.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

a) there are people who know what this game can / has to offer and 

b) there are people who played it because other people play it, to be part of the hype

a) hardly leaves. agreed.

b) thinks the LFR tool is everything, and after completing it they think  their game is done :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

I tend to come back after each expansion.

So yeah, I'm playing it once again. Last time, this time, I swear! Honest!

Heh...

• BlueTiger33BlueTiger33 Member Posts: 158
    Originally posted by BizkitNL

I tend to come back after each expansion.

So yeah, I'm playing it once again. Last time, this time, I swear! Honest!

Heh...

The battlegrounds were the only thing that kept me playing as long as I did...about 2 years.

I will never support freeloaders, no more subsidized gaming.
    My Blog
  • L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Can't see the video because I'm at work and not supposed to be on these forums in the first place, so won't comment on it.

On my personal story, I played WoW since sometime around late vanilla up to WotLK after they introduced the Lich King raid. I played a LOT during that time (with a slight couple months hiatus during TBC to play Age of Conan), but left after most of my friends had left the game.

I actually think sometimes about going back, specially when Blizzard has those sales, since I was on euro servers because that's where my friends were playing, if I ever came back I'd prefer to be on US servers so I don't have to deal with the different timezones, but the more I think of it, the more I realized that what I miss isn't the game itself, but the fun times I had with my friends there. Actually, people say they wanted vanilla servers, I'd say I wanted TBC servers, but because it's when we were raiding Karazhan in a very laid back, casual way in a weekly basis (actually until our guild leader died).

I did install the 20 levels version sometime ago, even if it was just to remember some old times and see how had the starter areas changed after Cata... I played for a couple hours or so with different characters, I just wasn't feeling the fun on it, so I quitted for the day, and didn't really feel like logging in again since then. Of the original groups of friends that were playing WoW, I don't think any of them are still playing, I was one of the last ones to quit and we haven't been back since.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

I personally played on and off (about 70% on, 30% off) from vanilla through near the end of WotlK (just after the Lich King encounter was finally released, not whatever filler raid came after that.)  I was always a competitive raider and part of guilds that would compete for server firsts.  But there just came a point where it suddenly felt futile.  Tier after tier would come and go, and we'd work to collect all the new BIS gear again, only to have it quickly become old junk gear again.  I just got to the point where I didn't have anything to prove on an individual level, got no rush from downing new encounters anymore because they just weren't as impressive as many of my past accomplishments, and the gear rewards no longer felt satisfying.  At the end of my days, I spent more time walking around in 8/8 tier 2 (druid stormrage), complete with the old ZG leg and head enchants, than I did with any newly acquired gear.  

Basically, I was utterly burnt out, as the common phase goes.  And many years later, i feel just as burnt out now as I did then.  So I don't think a break is the remedy.  I couldn't imagine going through that cycle again, in WoW at least.  In some new game that provides fresh new PvE challenges, perhaps.  But not with WoW-style combat anymore.   

• WabbaWayWabbaWay Member Posts: 101

Quit WoW a week after cataclysm release, i've played on some vanilla servers since then, not for too long though.

The game is old and slowly fading away; it's still the biggest MMO in the industry, but fact is that WoW has been in a slow decline over the last few years in terms of staff working on the game, sales numbers and active players. 

Was an awesome game though, can't help but miss it from time to time.

• DiemosDiemos Member Posts: 129
    Played WoW since 2005 to Cata. Tried MoP and left after 2 weeks. There are so many great games that are different innovative and mostly with no sub playing WoW now feels like youre taking a step back in the genre. Worst part is WoW players seem to not realize they've been playing the exact same game for al.out 9 years now.

[PvX]Tempest - Check us out

• ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281
    Originally posted by Diemos
    Played WoW since 2005 to Cata. Tried MoP and left after 2 weeks. There are so many great games that are different innovative and mostly with no sub playing WoW now feels like youre taking a step back in the genre. Worst part is WoW players seem to not realize they've been playing the exact same game for al.out 9 years now.

To be fair I think most mmo players have played the exact same thing for 9 years. There really hasn't been much innovation in the genre, and what we have seen has been skin deep.  

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458

My annual pass ran out in Jan. and I hadn't really played it much since Late Nov.I don't see myself ever going back,to me they ruined the game with the Cata expansion.Playing alts as much as I like to do,the original world was great imo.The fact they changed most of the 1-60 zones and put you in the express lane to 60,just turned me off of the the game.

Even tried MOP but the magic is just gone.Had a blast during Wotlk,but post Cata is nothing special and there's simply many other game's that I like better now.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    quitting WoW isnt easy, i've been off of it now for about 3 months, and while i don't anticipate a relapse any time soon, i know, that it could happen, just.. not yet image
  • dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362
    Originally posted by m0lly
    started back in 2003-04 with beta and still playing it, on and off just like you said, playing too much needs break and then go back. these peaople who say i played 1 year and then quit are not really mmo gamers , they just want to be but really they just want to play single players games, also people who said i quit after vanilla i quit after burning crusade. thats just so last season phrase it can stop already. there was nothing wrong with lich king expansion. the lore is stil lthere and mostly , you play because of lore not because of game itself.

Not that being a mmorpg player is any privilege or high status

MMOs gameplay pales in comparison to single player gameplay, the only thing that mmos got is the social interaction: sense of community, guilds, pvp etc..

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Successfully evaded two expansions thus far.

Is it like alcoholism, you're never "cured", even if you're not on the sauce at the moment?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.