Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No One Quits WoW

SibcoeSibcoe Member UncommonPosts: 61

Hi everyone -

I wanted to share a show I did about coming back to WoW and what the game is really about.  I have been enjoying it and hope you ejoy hearing my thoughts on why "no one ever really quits WoW."

No One Quits WoW

Are you playing WoW, did you come back for MOP, are you having fun?

Cheers 0/

Comments

• MdpatsMdpats Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Great video man.  I enjoyed your comments on the game.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

"Wow - Its digital crack" ;)

But to be honest do everyone quit Wow, some people quit several times a month. Kinda like smokers, they quit many times too.

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468
    i beta tested wow i came back only once and it was just to spend more time with a girl , then we broke up and i quit again i will never go back sorry not true.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Good video, i enjoyed it and i see you have a point there.

But the reason for me to quit WoW wasn't the game itself, but all my personal friends quit as they moved on with their lifes. After having played for about 5 years, i have a ton of great memories of endless nights playing together.

I just couldn't go back into the game all on my own now. I tried once, but visiting all these places in game literally gets me into a state of melancholia, thinking about the old times and getting aware how much i miss them nowadays.

For me it was the social experience and fun i've had with my friends. I quit WoW and will never go back.

• TyrantasTyrantas Member UncommonPosts: 369
    Quit long time ago, maybe would of came back at some point, but after playing starcraft, it's not possible.
  • TheBigDRCTheBigDRC Member Posts: 162
    Quit almost three years ago and haven't looked back.

You know what's fun about chaos? I do, but I won't tell.

• BakoryoBakoryo Member UncommonPosts: 469
    I quit wow a long time ago and never had the urge to come back to the game. Though I can understand that some have a hard time letting go of their first or one of their first mmorpg's but wow isn't my first one. I did quit and return a few times but I stopped doing that under TBC and never looked back. 

The speed of the mole and the power of steel is my weapon

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

I quit WoW shortly before the Burning Crusade. i had played from release before that and was in a multi MMO guild (still am) some of my guild members still play WoW and post on the guild site, but i've never really had any urge to return.

End point people do quit WoW, if they didn't their subs would be over 20 million by now instead of decreasing yearly.

• sancher36sancher36 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    I can't believe I lasted 5 years playing wow from launch but since I quit I have never returned and no plans to. I saw the game get dumbed down way too much over those years. 
  • DartmedDartmed Member Posts: 36
    Originally posted by Sibcoe

Hi everyone -

I wanted to share a show I did about coming back to WoW and what the game is really about.  I have been enjoying it and hope you ejoy hearing my thoughts on why "no one ever really quits WoW."

No One Quits WoW

Are you playing WoW, did you come back for MOP, are you having fun?

Cheers 0/

There are some good points in the video but I think that most of the "addiction" is kind of gone in the west. The thing that most ppl don't seem to agree on is that blizzard was able to apply a "competitive pve" gameplay witch made the game a big success. The raid focused game play that was enforced back in the days, combined with the grind needed to perform good in raids is what made many ppl look for a feel of "accomplishment" and as such play the hell out of WoW. Also "competitive pve" in difficult content (Kael'thas anyone ...) with tools to measure efficiency (addons)  drive the gameplay far from casual and thus more addictive.

That is why most ppl say that WoW was good until Wrath came out !

PS: Nice to see you here Sibcoe , keep up the good work   

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    started back in 2003-04 with beta and still playing it, on and off just like you said, playing too much needs break and then go back. these peaople who say i played 1 year and then quit are not really mmo gamers , they just want to be but really they just want to play single players games, also people who said i quit after vanilla i quit after burning crusade. thats just so last season phrase it can stop already. there was nothing wrong with lich king expansion. the lore is stil lthere and mostly , you play because of lore not because of game itself.
  • DartmedDartmed Member Posts: 36
    Originally posted by m0lly
    started back in 2003-04 with beta and still playing it, on and off just like you said, playing too much needs break and then go back. these peaople who say i played 1 year and then quit are not really mmo gamers , they just want to be but really they just want to play single players games, also people who said i quit after vanilla i quit after burning crusade. thats just so last season phrase it can stop already. there was nothing wrong with lich king expansion. the lore is stil lthere and mostly , you play because of lore not because of game itself.

I will have to disagree . First of all there are many games with excellent lore backing them that many ppl thing they suck (LoTRO, DnD, STO, SWTRO) . Secondly many play WoW but few are aware of the lore behind it . 

And last saying someone is not a "real mmo player" needs a definition of the real MMO Player. As for the "you play for the lore" there are many that read books for lore but play games for other reasons , what would you call those players ?

• zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395

i quit during burning crusade 

about   9-10 months ago (could even be longer than that) a friend sent me a  res  scroll thing   and  i thought  id  give  it a go again  

it was very diffrent to how i remembered it

played for  10 mins

then the  game was uninstalled  

nothing in the game now  for me

• KrasniKrasni Member Posts: 6

Thank you very much, that was great video. Thinking about resubing, I really miss AV, and PVP in general.

Maybe with some friends I will start a new guild, who knows, there is wow in me and is growing stronger!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

My WOW history went something like this.

Played from open beta for 9 months, quit for 6 months, returned for 9 months and quit right before the launch of BC.

Stayed away 4 years and returned to see the revamped lands in Cataclysm, reached max level in one month and found myself right back as the same gear grinding end game I left previously so quit again and I won't be coming back.

Unless.... they were to make a FFA PVP server and force everyone into a single open world with no more instanced dungeons.

Yeah, I know, is never going to happen......

Was a good run, just not my type of game anymore.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    I first really got into WoW with WoTLK. I left when I completed Naxx and before Ulduar came out. I became out of touch with my lvl 80 by the time Cataclysm came out, so when I came back for Cataclysm, I didn't last more than a month, since I got tired of repeating the same quests I did before. I came back again with MoP, thinking a Monk would get me to stay, but I couldn't stomach doing Outlands and Northrend again. So in short, with each expansion, I get further and further behind, so I doubt I'll ever return. On top of not liking to repeat quest content, Blizzard has dumbed down the game so much that I don't even enjoy the combat anymore. Solo play is not challenging, so I try leveling through dungeons, but those are not challenging either. So, I guess WoW just isn't the game for me anymore...if it truely ever was. My eyes are on the horizon, not what games have released. So I agree with some others, some people just don't come back, just like I haven't returned to my first and most favorite game...DAoC.
  • ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281
    I haven't played wow in years (since TBC).  I tried the Panda thing but it just looked too dated and everything I liked about the original game had been removed, so I quit, and yes for good.  

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

I haven't touched WoW since the Lich King expansion. I will admit Cata and MoP amde me curious enough to read up on what they contained and people's opinions but can't I've played the game in years now.

Enjoyed my time with it but just don't have a desire to go back to it.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500

Played wow since 2004 first day of release. Played non stop to the end of TBC, then with pauses and year ago I quit and never came back and wont :)

Its great game but not for everyone. For me its too dumped down, too simple, too casual friendly. etc etc :)

WoW is one of the best mmorpg ever made, no one can say its not. If they do .. just lol them. But after those years, no one can force me to go back :)

Last thing about WoW Ive heard was that Pandas has great graphics and its good datadics buts its even more dumped down and casual friendly than before. Too easy to gain best gear etc. For me .. the whole flyeing mounts, looking for dungeon, raid was the worst decision in this game ever.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by m0lly

Played it pre-TBC and then came back (lured in by Archeology in Cataclysm) in 2011... spent 100 bucks getting the expansions and a month of sub... regretted it after a week... the game just isn't worth it without good friends or at least competitive PVE... christ pre-TBC it was a real journey to get to level 60... in post-Cata I got to level cap in under a month...alone... sorry the game just isn't worth the sub anymore and you claiming I am not an MMO gamer because my total game time in WoW is around 9 months... well... step into EVE Online lass and lemme show you my Geddon's girth <.<.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

I haven't touched WoW since the Lich King expansion. I will admit Cata and MoP amde me curious enough to read up on what they contained and people's opinions but can't I've played the game in years now.

Enjoyed my time with it but just don't have a desire to go back to it.

same for me.. really never had the urge to play again though....... plenty of other fun games out there saw no reason to stick around wow

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Might sound like a cliche, but the sub fee is what's keeping me from returning to WoW. I'd like to play it every now and then when I feel like it, but I don't want to pay a sub to play maybe 5-10 hours a month.

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346

many "really" quit WoW. most who stop playing it do. their churn rate is probably the highest ever. that's why all but some casual guilds and a few hardcore ones that started there remain, everyone else is new. WoW would have huge bumps in subs after major content releases id no one really quit, and they'd have maybe 20m subs right now.

what you're talking about, is that there are people who cut their teeth on the game and are disappointed when a WoW clone does not match the content and playability, or when a non-WoW clone launches imperfect and you don't have the patience to stick with it more than a month or two so you go back to WoW.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Dogblaster

WoW is one of the best mmorpg ever made, no one can say its not. If they do .. just lol them. But after those years, no one can force me to go back :)

It used to be one of the best collections of traits from previous MMOs (Evercrack being the most prevalent of the games copied) around but lets not kid ourselves, the best MMORPGs ever made list is composed of the following games: Neverwinter Nights, Ultima Online,Meridian 59, Everquest, Star Wars Galaxies, EVE-Online and Age of Conan from that respective era of gaming. The only reason World of Warcraft was so popular when compared to its contemporaries was the perfect storm it was launched into ( many MMO enthusiasts had cut their teeth at that time on Everquest and were looking for something more, refugees from Ultima Online, Meridian and quite a few disgruntled SWG players jump ship to WoW because of friends and once that initial surge of players had been tapped and retained within the game it could only gain in popularity because WoW while mechanically unoriginal to say the least took the gameplay  from its contemporaries and polished them off while introducing better Skinner Box techniques so that the game played like a treat and gave you just enough reward to keep you paying while also getting many to praise the game to such a degree that their friends or acquaintances were curios enough to try).

World of Warcraft if it had been launched earlier would've likely ended up like Everquest, good profit but mediocre overall, circumstances and pure dumb luck on the part of the publisher meant it became the game of the first global generation of PC gamers to have near unrestricted access to the internet. That is all. Innovation-wise the true success story of that generation which is a game which is still growing and still very much alive is EVE-Online, if the devs play their cards right that game will outlive any other game out there (they could easily squeeze another decade of life from it but if they start expanding wormhole space and 0.0 again all bets are truly off as to how long it could last).

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I quit right after cataclysm. The raid and arena gear grind got old and, so did the game.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot