Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A game like this shouldn't have a 15$ a month sub fee

Comments

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

For me, leaving any MMO has never been about the $15, its been about the quality of the game.

Give me a game i can enjoy over a long period of time, and you have yourself a dedicated subscriber. Give me the same 'ol garbage, and I'll check it out for awhile, but i won't last too long, because chances are a new one in the same mold will be out in a few months., and i may give that one a shot. From what i see, this game may be trying a slightly different approach to things, and has me interested.

The balls in MJs court now, my $15/month is here and waiting.

• QallidexzQallidexz Member Posts: 253
    Originally posted by xBarachielx
    [mod edit]

Uh, what? Lol.

Anyways, Mark Jacobs already said that there'll be a multi-tiered sub system, so players who want to only play for a measily say, $5 a month, will possibly be able to do that, there might even be a B2P option (that's very limited) who knows... But if you want the full experience, chances are you'll probably have to pay in the mid to upper teens, maybe even $20/month, who cares? 

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    all mmos should be totally free! created, developed and supported purely for the betterment of mankind, out of the goodness of their hearts.
    Money is evil, profits are the work of the DEVIL.
  • aWRAYaWRAY Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by TribeofOne
    all mmos should be totally free! created, developed and supported purely for the betterment of mankind, out of the goodness of their hearts. Money is evil, profits are the work of the DEVIL.

Shoot if I had the spare cash on hand, I'd do it for you guys xD

all mmos should be totally free! created, developed and supported purely for the betterment of mankind, out of the goodness of their hearts. Money is evil, profits are the work of the DEVIL.

YES! ENSLAVE ALL GAME DEVELOPERS, AND MAKE THEM WORK FOR US FOR FREE!!!  MWHAHAHA!

• MalevilMalevil Member Posts: 468
    I'm quite amazed by hostile reaction to some realy valid points, but whatever guys, live your dream and hope MJ doesn't fuck up this game like with WAR ...
  • TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by Marcus-

For me, leaving any MMO has never been about the $15, its been about the quality of the game.

Give me a game i can enjoy over a long period of time, and you have yourself a dedicated subscriber. Give me the same 'ol garbage, and I'll check it out for awhile, but i won't last too long, because chances are a new one in the same mold will be out in a few months., and i may give that one a shot. From what i see, this game may be trying a slightly different approach to things, and has me interested.

The balls in MJs court now, my $15/month is here and waiting.

Exactly.  The OP's stance is F2P vs Sub, with a weak, insubstantial arguement with lots of emphasis on over-generalizations.  I've noticed that the majority of his posts are designed to incite rather than contribute anything meaningful.

CU isn't designed for the mass F2P market.  Its a niche game.  The OP's entire arguement is irrelevant to this game.

• zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395
    Originally posted by General_Dru-Zod
    Originally posted by mari3k

I doubt that it will have a 15$ a month sub fee. 

If it will, it will have to close servers in 6 month.... people are not willing to spent money on subs anymore.

This is Bull Sh!t

you are correct people are  willing to pay a subscription

but it has to be worth it, people wont spend on a sub these days  unless they really see true value

if  the game is the  same  as almost every other mmo   with only one or two new feeatures then its going to be a very hard to justify a subscription.

if its the best mmo we have ever seen and  has everything in you have ever wanted and  new   content every month

then it has a good chance

sadly no mmo has ever done this

so highly unlikly this will  

its more likly to go the way of all other new mmo's and go f2p ,b2p or close servers in the first 6 month

but fingers crossed

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Originally posted by Malevil
    I'm quite amazed by hostile reaction to some realy valid points, but whatever guys, live your dream and hope MJ doesn't fuck up this game like with WAR ...

I'm not amazed/surprised at all by most reactions on here... it is mmorpg.com afterall.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Trolls aside, whether to have a sub fee and how much it should be is a very valid concern for this game. If DAOC had no monthly sub or even a substantially lower sub than it has, I would still be playing it. When a game has a monthly sub and a player gets tired of it, there's that additional barrier of putting in your credit card again and reactivating that makes it that much less likely he'll come back. Or if a player is on the fence on whether to keep playing a game he's subscribed to, knowing that if he doesn't cancel he'll be charged another $14.95 or whatever can be the thing that pushes him to quit.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• tleartlear Member Posts: 142
    I think when you think $15 is something to be concerned about you should really be not playing these games, but improving your earning potential.
  • StilerStiler Member Posts: 599
    Originally posted by tlear
    I think when you think $15 is something to be concerned about you should really be not playing these games, but improving your earning potential.

I don't know about you, but personally i started playing mmo's when I was around 13'ish and had to beg my parents for the ability to get a debit card under one of their accounts so I could play with money I put in/got.

Just because people that are young, and don't have jobs, etc might want to play doesn't make them bad.

I know many people that started playing games at a young age and playing UO/AC back int hose days were someof the best gaming memories I ever had, I'd like to see other young people be able to experienec those kind sof things with newer games.

i remember when some games charged by the hour on a 36k modem
  • jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841
    Originally posted by Comaf

Allow me to counter the OP by stating that I am so tired of the same handful of classes and races carbon copied t ofight each other on an elementary school playground with K-POW shiny effects that I'll gladly pay $19.99 per month for my sub. 

An mmorpg like CU has not been done since Dark Age of Camelot's release in 2001.  The part about having ample opportunity to jump from game to game is a moot point in an idustry where every title I've seen is so filled with plastic and pointless lore that I and nearly every gamer I know refuses to bother with online gaming anymore.

Secondly, many of us are fully aware of what happens in the F2P model - but I don't want to beat a dead horse on that topic.

This.

I think the dead horse needs to be beaten because theres still a little life in it.

There are probably plenty of people willing to pay a monthly sub for a game that is actually worth it. All these games that are out now simply aren't worth playing. I have GW2, pre-ordered, disliked it from the very first hours of beta testing it, disliked it at launch and tried to get into it for a week or two and just plain didn't like it. The same goes for many current gen MMOs that I can easily play for free with full features. Being willing to pay for access to *good* games and not going for crappy free games is something plenty of people do.

Not all F2P or freemium services are horrible and not all the games are too terrible and are worth playing for some. But they aren't games that last for years and years and are worth investing your time into. The thing about most of the mmo players (who are mainly people who got into MMO during WoW peak in popularity when MMOs started getting horrible) are used to horrible MMOs with zero depth and BS hand holding linear stories that should be in single player games. They're used to playing an MMO as a single player game for a few months and moving on to the next crappy MMO.

So yeah, there's a ton of choices, but that's like saying "you can either eat this 30 dollar steak dinner with your choice of free sauces and two sides are included, or eat this 0 dollar wet newspaper ball covered in moldy maggot infested cheese and rotten raw hamburger meat, and for 10 dollars you can put salt on it and if you go premium, we'll spoon feed it to you and add the rest of the maggots that we took off when it became free"

• EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199
    Originally posted by Tayah
    Originally posted by Onomas

I agree with Zod.

I personaly would pay 20+$/month for a good game. Problem is people arent willing to pay for the crap cookie cutters and wow clones pouring out of the industry the last few years. Has nothing to do with the pay scale, has everything to do with qualiy of game. Eye candy and fluff 3 week long stories arent cutting it.

Exactly, well said! If someone doesn't want to pay a sub fee look elsewhere.

They do look elsewhere. That's why this subscribtion model is dying. And it's not just that. I think people in general don't like this model because you don't own anything. I mean, the only thing you own is a game, which you cant't play.

• prognarprognar Member Posts: 12

The developer has already said they are quiet happy to have a player base of around 50k or somthing, they arent looking for loads of people.

He just wants people to play the game, that actually want to play it, if you don't want to pay $15 to play it, guess he doesnt think your serious enough to want to play the game ?

If you feel the price is too much then don't play it...

and you are right there are plenty of F2P and B2P games out there, so why don't you go play one of those?

and B2P isnt relevant, it's now F2P with an upfront deposit, that is the new definition of B2P, well at least in the MMO market, and now developers are trying to integrate it into SP games aka Deadspace 3.

End of the day we are a vocal minority, in most games barely even 1% (very vocal usless people 50 - 200 or so)of whiners end up causing more grief then is necessay, for their chosen games.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

As others have mentioned people are will to pay a sub fee, I am one of them but the game has to be worth the sub fee.. the reason why most games have recently gone f2p or been released as b2p or whatever is because the games are just not good enough to keep people willing to pay a sub.

Now if this game turns out as good as it sounds i would be willing to pay a sub no problem at all... plus the guy is not expecting to have millions of people playing he is creating a niche game.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I think it should have a $30+ per month subscription model. I would even be happy to see as much as $50 / month.   I think then it would certainly prove how keeping the costs higher will keep the "unpleasant" people out.   I hope the dev's see this thread and realize that there is a number of players willing to pay an increased amount so they don't have to play some F2P junk.

I will not condone this activity with my wallet. I think the P2P player deserves to not be encumbered in their games with F2P players.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Mark Jacobs already confirmed that CU will have a multi-tiered sub system, so I'm not sure why no one's talking about that, instead arguing over whether they want to pay $15 a month or not, which will not be the model anyways, defeating the purpose of this entire thread. lol
  • faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Originally posted by turkishmafia
    A game like this should have a $45/month fee.

what once was is never the same again, your first love is never the same after 10 more loves. industry is moved out from paying to play so why should some old dusty title that once was something cause there werent many competitors around ?

just because the name says camelot? selling the name and selling the brand in clothes thats whaty its all about.

• ShorunShorun Member UncommonPosts: 247

I think everyone has another ideal payment system. I don't mind paying a sub if the game leaves out the cash shop. And I think the audience for this game doesn't mind either.

Personally, I like B2P like with GW1 the best. You got a great amount of content every year and paying for that felt justified. I don't get why no MMORPG  before and after did that.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Totally wrong OP .Niche game with niche players equal to players willing to pay just about anything for a DAoC redux.

Originally posted by kitarad

Totally wrong OP .Niche game with niche players equal to players willing to pay just about anything for a DAoC redux.

but CU is not a DAoC redux.. CU is cutting out a major aspect of DAoC, PVE.
  • LokyLoky Member UncommonPosts: 182

I would pay $50 for sure as long as its different.

I dont mind classing myself as a minority. I dont mind re subbing to Dark Age nowadays either. There is still something drawing me to the rvr in it and i dont mind paying. Pretty sure Jacobs said he would rather have a small pop of subs instead of a few million making  x%.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by kitarad

but CU is not a DAoC redux.. CU is cutting out a major aspect of DAoC, PVE.

This is such a major change that they really shouldn't associate the title with it's predecessor, as it will likely dissappoint a large number of former players who were driven by the PVE side more than the PVP.

At least for players like myself, a prime motivator to RVR was to help the realm take enough keeps to access Darkness Falls, where when first launched one found the better gear and the better items to deconstruct to make the most gold. 

Sure, the PVP in the frontiers was decently fun, and DF was always a rush when the sides switched hands, but overall, I didn't RVR much without such motivations.

Even a PVP centric title such as EVE is heavily driven by it's PVE actitivites, in fact, they go hand in hand with one supporting the other, and EVE would not be nearly as successful (IMO) if it only had a PVP side to the game.

Back on topic, it sounds like there will be multiple payment options, (probably the way of things for most titles going forward) so there should be something for everyone I imagine.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon