Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] The War Z: A Painfully Executed Parody of a Survival Game

Comments

• VindicarVindicar Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Originally posted by adam_nox

I'm sure the game blows, but that's not even a semi serious review.  It is oozing with bitter butthurtedness that has no place in a review. 

I could have said much of the same things he did about PS2 or DUST514, so I sure hope they don't score higher than a 3 or 4.

I don't like quick reviews even on crappy games... but this is actually a fair review. He could have gone reaaaaaaally deeper about being rude to the game or to Hammerpoint because they REALLY gave us the tools to beat 'em down with.

Did you play the 3 games you are mentionning ?

'cuz it's actually 3 completely different games, quality, mechanics, meta and advancement in developement...

You are not being really honest here buddy.

Old school french hardcore whiner. Online since T4C.

I was "Namless" and "Daroot" in AO (Rk2)
    Been known as "Vindicar" (Aion (EU), SWTOR (EU), WoW (EU).
    Recently  Known as "Wundicar" and "Wundee" in Age of Wushu (US) and Wulin (EU)

Franky Rivera Reyes , From the Reyes Brotherhood (Star Citizen)

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    While this game may have its defenders who have have gotten some enjoyment out of it, the fact is that the developers only have themselves to blame for the bad press they've received.  They are the authors of their own demise.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• znaiikaznaiika Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by Vindicar
    Originally posted by znaiika
    Originally posted by colddog04
    It's not possible to enjoy WarZ because it's gameplay is sloppier than a burrito with both ends open. I still can't figure out why people defend this travesty. And honestly, DayZ as a mod plays better than WarZ as a standalone. And DayZ is still a mess.

OH yeah comparing some glitchs in "under-developement-mod-to-become-a-standalone" to the great gameplay of a released scam is totally relevant.... or not.

[mod edit]

It's not a scam, if you don't like it don't buy/play it, it is that simple.

But this is not about liking it or not, this is about dayz fans to discredit warz, because warz is released as a stand alone game befor dayz could, every game is realeased are not finished, should we call them scam too?

[mod edit]

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Ginaz
    While this game may have its defenders who have have gotten some enjoyment out of it, the fact is that the developers only have themselves to blame for the bad press they've received.  They are the authors of their own demise.

Exactly. They have no one but themselves to blame.  I'd REALLY love to see the IP block that some of these new supportive accounts are coming from.   Anyone who managed to survive the Usenet wars, knows what I'm speaking of. ^^

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

Aren't the devs for this games former Anet developers? I'm 90% sure they're the same people.

It seems like anyone who worked on the awesome GW1 is doomed to make garbage.

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584

DayZ (a free mod to Arma 2) is better even in it's current buggy form than this cash-grab. Arma engine is a nasty beast to rustle. However when you understand how stuff works, it's just fine and does what you expect.

All the comparisons between a FREE MOD and an actually released game are ridiculous beyond belief, especially when you see how WarZ was only made to cash-in on DayZ success. They were not developing this game before DayZ success, they only re-hashed older stuff they made to get in the cashlines. They're so full of crap it's unbelievable.

I've never in my life seen a bigger cash-grab than this, even Funcom's AOC pales in comparison.

This game deserves every single bit of critique it gets. Their crew is terrible at what they do, even the community manager whining how his brand new 2012 Dodge Challenger blew a tire in a desert during his Vegas trip makes me hate them even more. Community manager with that kind of money? All from a game that is by all standards shit and worse than a free mod? Yeah, I hate them and would never ever buy from them or defend them, like some here seem to do. Cut your losses and admit facts.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

That's the review I'd like to have read for GW2.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• KilmaulKilmaul Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Originally posted by FromHell

Yeah they should've at least mentioned GW2 in the review, amirite?

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Then it wouldn't have been an honest review, then would it?... GW2 isn't my type of game ( I only managed to get to level 60(warrior)) but its FAR from the type of badly designed, badly coded game that War Z turned out to be.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584

Naw, more like TSW. ziiiing.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    It's not possible to enjoy WarZ because it's gameplay is sloppier than a burrito with both ends open. I still can't figure out why people defend this travesty. And honestly, DayZ as a mod plays better than WarZ as a standalone. And DayZ is still a mess.

OH yeah comparing some glitchs in "under-developement-mod-to-become-a-standalone" to the great gameplay of a released scam is totally relevant.... or not.

Only shows you are a blind fan. Sorry to sound rude.

But this is not about liking it or not, this is about dayz fans to discredit warz, because warz is released as a stand alone game befor dayz could, every game is realeased are not finished, should we call them scam too?

Grow-up kids, and accept the future of game/s development.

I've never played DayZ and I still think the developers of WarZ are clownshoes.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

I don't know why but this review feels knee-jerked to me.

Seems like this should've been done ages ago, before the integrity of the reviews was lost.

Only shows you are a blind fan. Sorry to sound rude.

Grow-up kids, and accept the future of game/s development.

Okay I'll grow up... but you need to WAKE UP.

I can't even play DayZ.

Cuz I'm hardcore you see, and DayZ, the mod, is just a bluprint they use to set their own goals and can sometimes be quite.... frustrating if you invest to much playtime and faith into your avatar.

If YOU were a big person and well educated you would have dig a little about WarZ  and the devellopers you still defend for some reasons... cuz seriously dood, when you start looking at hammerpoint and its boss... it's really ugly... They felt the hype of Z games,  copied/paste a fiew ideas all over the net,stole a fiew pictures too and acted like if they were working on something huge for months !!!

Dig on your own. Stop being a blind fan just because you managed to get 5 minutes of enjoyement, THX to the poeples you were playing with, not thx to the game !

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by Uzik

Horribly biased review.

War Z is a POS, but only marginally worse than Day Z.  Most of the problems War Z has are also found in Day Z.

And at least War Z doesn't have the horribly laggy hit detection and completely harmless zombies of Day Z.  Shot a guy in the head?  Well enjoy waiting 2 seconds to actually see the bullet impact.  Being chased by 100 zombies?  Just zig zag and jump over an obstacle.

Let's face it.  Both War Z and Day Z are complete crap, but people have some sort of special attachment to Day Z that makes them think it is superior "just because".

We can hope that the Day Z standalone is good, but as of now NEITHER of these are worth playing.

The difference between the two though is DayZ is a mod developed by one man and now a community that is entirely free to people that own ARMA.

The WarZ is a game that has been developed by a team of people and sold as a product that people have to pay for.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by Wraithone

Then it wouldn't have been an honest review, then would it?... GW2 isn't my type of game ( I only managed to get to level 60(warrior)) but its FAR from the type of badly designed, badly coded game that War Z turned out to be.

Well I could review it at 1.7, being totally honest. In fact, I did.

Even with the general buggyness of WarZ I would prefer playing it over touching Gw2 with a six foot pole.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

That's either a flat out lie, bad computer or you're simply being outdated and haven't played for a while.

Just for the record, I understand all the negatives people throw at WarZ and agree with many, to quite an extent, BUT...

I didn't buy WarZ  when they offered beta release knowing oh too well that the game can't be ready, and all I had to check was youtube and googling some info.

I loathe all the weed of this world, hoardes of gamers who jump into unfinished games, being impatient and egoistical to the bone (need to get that advantage, need to be first, need to get the fix of that new shinyyyy, like some freaking junky on the street). Throwing their money around and than crying and yelling like a hurt animal when they don't get what they imagined.

The best one is blaming WarZ devs for copying. Realy? When was the last time you people walked outside in real world without your eyes closed?

If anything it's good that they copied. It means Rocket has to compete which means better quality product which equals GOOD. Yeah WarZ is GOOD for gamers. No you don't have to play it, no one ever forced you and people who still fall for marketing fanfares are nothing but a stock to laugh at.

So I bought WarZ a week ago, after knowing all  this shit that's going on on forums. I knew however that the game got stable, gameplay is good and smooth now, I don't care about cash shop when you can sneak on someone with 100$ worth equipment, and take it all just with a flashlight.  Bugs are sparse, the ONLY thing atm ruining gameplay way too much a game could afford to, are cheaters. If they weed cheaters out they're golden.

• ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314

I can't believe you are still using that old Steam screenshot.

It is out of date.

Private servers are in, skills have been announced to be working on and being released in about a month, hardmode exists, etc.

Saying there are "seemingly pointless character classes" is misleading and false, as there are no classes in the game.

"There’s nothing more satisfying than spending a bunch of cash on supplies only to have them stripped permanently from you within minutes." Why are you spending real life money on something you can loot in game?

"Unfortunately melee weapons are practically useless in game and their hit rates against the undead seem random or mediocre at best." Melee weapons have quality. The better the quality (bats worst, hammers better, hatchets better, etc) the more damage. You also have to aim properly for the head.

"In fact, the game doesn’t offer many of the features it claims to have, such as useable vehicles." Tell me where it says it offers this? I know they have thought about planning possibly in the future but no where on their website do they say they have it.

This doesn't read like a review submitted February 22nd 2013, but a review submitted November 2012.

No I have never played the game but I am very familiar with it.

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

• ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281
    Originally posted by itpaladin

It is out of date.

Private servers are in, skills have been announced to be working on and being released in about a month, hardmode exists, etc.

Saying there are "seemingly pointless character classes" is misleading and false, as there are no classes in the game.

"There’s nothing more satisfying than spending a bunch of cash on supplies only to have them stripped permanently from you within minutes." Why are you spending real life money on something you can loot in game?

"Unfortunately melee weapons are practically useless in game and their hit rates against the undead seem random or mediocre at best." Melee weapons have quality. The better the quality (bats worst, hammers better, hatchets better, etc) the more damage. You also have to aim properly for the head.

"In fact, the game doesn’t offer many of the features it claims to have, such as useable vehicles." Tell me where it says it offers this? I know they have thought about planning possibly in the future but no where on their website do they say they have it.

This doesn't read like a review submitted February 22nd 2013, but a review submitted November 2012.

Really? 

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Originally posted by Scarfe
    Originally posted by itpaladin

It is out of date.

Really? 

Pretty funny but he sounds more knowledgeable of it than the reviewer who seemingly played the game.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Sorry this review is just bad..

Yes some of the points are very valid but the gameplay itself is pretty fun when you get into it.

Hopefully MMORPG will get someone to do a proper review, someone that has no opinion on the company or game before the make the review.

Now im not saying its a good game but i think it should get about a 4 or 5 out of 10 but clearly the reviewer has somthing major against the game and company and thats not how things should be reviewed. I know the editor at the top said this was not the case but i cant believe that at all..

• DrealgrinDrealgrin Member UncommonPosts: 156

1.7? the game does deserve a low score, but lower than aion or tera-ble? Korean f2p clones disguised to be subscription based to lure in the inexperienced westerners who are unfamiliar with good games.

Is it a standard to rate games based on the fact that other superior games exist in this genre? I don't know but that seems to delegitimize the rating system on this.

this is a totally unfair score based on previous scorings of horrible games.

Originally posted by Drealgrin

1.7? the game does deserve a low score, but lower than aion or tera-ble? Korean f2p clones disguised to be subscription based to lure in the inexperienced westerners who are unfamiliar with good games.

Is it a standard to rate games based on the fact that other superior games exist in this genre? I don't know but that seems to delegitimize the rating system on this.

I don't get it... how could someone put Aion and WarZ on the same level ? I can see a vague copy-paste analogy possible but this is it...

Oh well guess I'll leave this thread. Endless fight I suppose. Since everyone agrees on the subject of course a fiew morons will refuse to agree for the sake of it. I mean, dood, why would EVERYONE agree on something... pffff, utopie....

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445
    One thing you can Garner from finishing the review is the fact that mmorpg.com is not only biased against this terrible game, but also full of itself.

Yes its crap, but then again why the hate this time?
    Is it cause they didn't wanna pay ad money?
    You have to wonder, mmorpg.com has hyped up other totally crap games, AND GIVEN GOOD REVIEWS, as long as they paid up.

I've watched mmorp.com for a loping time and I've seen them drop from a real news source for mmorps, to the paid hype machine it is today, the world news rag of moo sites.

Pity

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by Drealgrin

TERA and Aion look like stellar games compared to the WarZ, they are not even comparable. If you can't see the difference in standards between Aion and WarZ then there is no hope for you.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Its a 10 dollar survival game

Compared to something like Project Zomboid WarZ is awesome.

The trouble is its being rated here in comparison to a top tier MMO, which it isnt and has never claimed to be.

DayZ is about pvp, its not about zombies or leveling up through survival.  Its just a pvp game.

And most of whats written in this article looks well out of date, which brings the credability of the auother in question and is clear biased.    No review thats credible points to another product and says 'buy this'  its completly unfair to compare DayZ and WarZ.  They are vastly different games targeted for very different audiences.

Its really sad to see how mmorpg.com has degenrated this low. 

This discussion has been closed.