Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How quickly should your character be able to max level in a MMO game?

RhinotonesRhinotones Member UncommonPosts: 250
You've just picked up a newly released MMO on its launch day. How quickly would you like to reach max level so your character is kick ass?

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    over 1 year.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    1-3 Months if there is plenty of replaybility. If not, preferably 6+ months to cap with a low power curve and strong player dependant community.
  • theoneandonlytheoneandonly Member Posts: 102
    there should be lvls but no lvl cup.
  • negilumnegilum Member UncommonPosts: 27
    It depends on the game.  If it's a typical themepark based on content treadmilling then it should be a slow process to give the game a good lifespan.  For a sandbox focused on community interaction you should be able to max out quickly to be able to participate in things.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    No need for  a magical number that makes all skills stronger. Skill based leveling that takes years to cap is the way to go.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287
      Truthfully, it doesn't matter.  "Levels" are just another name for content.  The real question should be: "How long should it take to experience all of the content released with the game?"  The answer is:  As long as it takes to make more. 

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Five minutes.

( I'm throwing this on the table because I've been thinking lately at how levels are actually used in games - as a gating system for plot progression, as a way of building up buffs to overpower challenging content, etc and wondering if the entire concept of levels is actually redundant in some games )

• shingoukiehshingoukieh Member UncommonPosts: 126

i think the correct way to put this thread is

HOW MANY HOURS SHOULD IT TAKE TO GET MAX LEVEL.

By that method i think 500 hours of play (actually questing not sitting around or shopping)

• RhinotonesRhinotones Member UncommonPosts: 250
    Originally posted by shingoukieh

i think the correct way to put this thread is

HOW MANY HOURS SHOULD IT TAKE TO GET MAX LEVEL.

By that method i think 500 hours of play (actually questing not sitting around or shopping)

Not sure if there is just one correct way to write this thread but thanks for your suggestion.

The reasoning for going with days/weeks/months is because everyone plays at different rates of speed. Some people will play for many hours a day and could clock up 500 hours in 3 months. Others may take a year before they've played 500 hours. For me, going with days/weeks/months gives a truer and more accurate picture of a time frame a players prepared to accept when developing/maxing their character.

You could select other if you thought that suited you better, or you may be able to work out how many weeks it would take you based on your example of 500 hours divided by the time you allocate to one game each week.

I hope this clarifies my thinking here.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

The longer the better, assuming the game is enjoyable to begin with and has the content to keep it interesting.

Endgame is well...the end of the game as far as i'm usually concerned.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    As long as its a fun experience then the longer the better.. I hate modern MMORPGs that allow you to max characters in a week or two... I get bored of them so fast. it seems to be all about end game these days and in my opinion a MMORPG should not be all about end game, the jouney to that point should be just as important.
  • DartmedDartmed Member Posts: 36
    Well in EVE to get all skills I think it would take about 14 years ...... 
  • HaurusHaurus Member UncommonPosts: 18

Never, or practically never.

Tibia is a good example of how leveling in MMOs should be, max level is over 500 with an extremely steep curve. game is like 15 years old and still to this day i don't think anyone has made max level.

Makes the world and characters feel like they are constantly evolving, everything stays fresh and each and every level feels like a true accomplishment.

The few players in it that are even over level 200 are practically legendary within the game and are gods among other players.

Most MMO's make things way too easy and within a few months, everyone is max level and it just seems so bland for everyone, the world feels dead with nothing left to do but pointlessly grind the same instances over and over.

There should also be dungeons and areas that only those extreme levels can survive in, so that you always have something to work towards. Every level up feels like a great achievement and a new stage to the game.

• EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199
    Originally posted by theoneandonly
    there should be lvls but no lvl cup.

I think that would be nice.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    I chose over 6 months. Part of what drew me to MMORPG's back in 2002 was the ability to play the same game for months, thus eliminating the need to buy a new expensive single player game every month or more. DAoC was my first MMORPG, and it took by over two years to max out my first character. I was toying around with alts, of course, since there were over 40 classes, but I enjoyed the leveling process. So I'd love to see the genre go back to it taking a really long time to level up. Make the MMORPG about the journey and not the destination, and maybe I'll finally stick with one for longer than a few months. 
  • VindicarVindicar Member UncommonPosts: 138

To me, nowadays problem is not the easy'n'fast leveling you find allmost everywhere.

To me what really sucks is that , mainly since wow, most MMORPGs focus on level locked content....

Old school french hardcore whiner. Online since T4C.

I was "Namless" and "Daroot" in AO (Rk2)
    Been known as "Vindicar" (Aion (EU), SWTOR (EU), WoW (EU).
    Recently  Known as "Wundicar" and "Wundee" in Age of Wushu (US) and Wulin (EU)

Franky Rivera Reyes , From the Reyes Brotherhood (Star Citizen)

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500

Leveling character to max should take MONTHS.

For instance I could level up 1-80 in Guild Wars 2 in 45 hours (with 2 professions) It wa so easy that I had no main character and I had 7x 80 lvl .. I left the game after crafting second legendary

What I prefer is if it takes hundered of hours to level to the max so you love that character and you dont have to create alt next month. Yea maybe I am hardcore player tha plays a lot hours per day but then Guild Wars 2 is only for cusuals and PvP players.

Another retarded thing is when not only you can level your character in week, but when you gear up to max your character in another week again .. GG uninstall

Gearing up the character and maxxing him out should take months or years. Otherwise the mmorpg dont have any longetivity for no one but casuals or just pvp freaks.

This is why I cant wait to play FF XIV ARR for years, because that game is not about alts, that game is not for casuals. You can level up all professions within your main character and maxxing out gear will take huge amount of dedication :) yea baby!!!

For me personally,.. NO more western casual friend mmorpgs anymore. Even tho I played all of them and grew on them.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

Voted 6 months + as long as there is a strong community.

Players race to the cap as long as that cap is realistically achievable in a short amount of time. If a game either had no cap or made the cap take so long to reach that it was no longer a realistic goal to focus on players would actually start to play just to have fun (and make natural progress in doing so).

This was how FFXI and older MMOs were for me and my friends. As caps became more easily reached, however, the games ceased to be about playing and simply became about levelling.

It's ironic really; in the modern MMO gaming mentality the more easily achievable the level cap is the more likely we are to treat it as a grind to focus on.

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Originally posted by Haurus

Never, or practically never.

Tibia is a good example of how leveling in MMOs should be, max level is over 500 with an extremely steep curve. game is like 15 years old and still to this day i don't think anyone has made max level.

Makes the world and characters feel like they are constantly evolving, everything stays fresh and each and every level feels like a true accomplishment.

The few players in it that are even over level 200 are practically legendary within the game and are gods among other players.

Most MMO's make things way too easy and within a few months, everyone is max level and it just seems so bland for everyone, the world feels dead with nothing left to do but pointlessly grind the same instances over and over.

There should also be dungeons and areas that only those extreme levels can survive in, so that you always have something to work towards. Every level up feels like a great achievement and a new stage to the game.

3 things. First  theres no cap in tibia. Second there are over 1000 players that are over 200, if not even more(the max level player is 659 as of yesterday). Third, leveling in tibia is mostly done by bots. almost everyone uses bots, wana know why? cause its the most retarded and boring grind ever created.

Games need to stop using levels, period. They are an archaic method to gate content and make people grind to death.

Everyone in this forum is asking for a sandbox, you wont have a true sandbox if you gate content with levels. Im not saying you erase progression but dont make it a grind, it a bad practice to keep customers AND induces unhealthy behaviour.

3 things. First  theres no cap in tibia. Second there are over 1000 players that are over 200, if not even more(the max level player is 659 as of yesterday). Third, leveling in tibia is mostly done by bots. almost everyone uses bots, wana know why? cause its the most retarded and boring grind ever created.

Games need to stop using levels, period. They are an archaic method to gate content and make people grind to death.

Everyone in this forum is asking for a sandbox, you wont have a true sandbox if you gate content with levels. Im not saying you erase progression but dont make it a grind, it a bad practice to keep customers AND induces unhealthy behaviour.

I dont play Tipia so just about the grind part :)

I do enjoy grind in mmorpgs. For gear or levels. This is why I dont last with recently released western mmorpg, they are made for casuals so they can achieve all the golas easyly as hardcore players. Grind is one of the things that keeps you playing the game for years. Dungeon grind, mobs, material, etc. Its not creating alt or just helping out guildies, yep its not. Atleast for me

Maybe dont call it grind what I want .. but whatever it is.. Maxxing out you character (gear/lvl) should take months or better years(for HC/avarage player), otherwise I wont play that game for more than 2 months.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by austriacus

There needs to be some kind of character progression.. if not levels then skills.. As long as its fun i dont care how lnog it takes.

Thats key tho it needs to be fun.

I dont want to see MMORPGs with no character progression as for me that would be ripping out a big chunk of the RPG bit. I know thats not what you where getting at but jsut wanted to mention it as well as there are some people out there who want to have everything from the start and jsut do end game stuff..

Originally posted by Dogblaster

I dont play Tipia so just about the grind part :)

I do enjoy grind in mmorpgs. For gear or levels. This is why I dont last with recently released western mmorpg, they are made for casuals so they can achieve all the golas easyly as hardcore players. Grind is one of the things that keeps you playing the game for years. Dungeon grind, mobs, material, etc. Its not creating alt or just helping out guildies, yep its not. Atleast for me

Maybe dont call it grind what I want .. but whatever it is.. Maxxing out you character (gear/lvl) should take months or better years(for HC/avarage player), otherwise I wont play that game for more than 2 months.

What keeps the majority of people playing are not levels or gear grind, its the community. 

You dont need gear or levels, what you need is progression. Progression can be infinite but at the same time it doesnt have to be a grind or a chore to a lot of people.

What a lot of you people are asking is unrealistic and if given to realistic terms actually quite boring. The mmorpg players are way past doing the same thing every night for 2 months till something slighty different opens up and repeat it again.

If you ask for 6 months to max level you are either asking for A) 6 months of unique content in the leveling progression or B) 6 months with content that you repeat endlessly.The first one is pretty much retarded and the second one..... Its fine if you want to kill 1 mob 10000000 times or do a dungeon 100000000 times. Most people dont.

What we need is content that fosters community and that isnt gated by an arbitrary number but in which you can progress endlesly with differen progression routes.

We already have it but most people dont enjoy it. Its called Eve online.

What keeps the majority of people playing are not levels or gear grind, its the community. 

You dont need gear or levels, what you need is progression. Progression can be infinite but at the same time it doesnt have to be a grind or a chore to a lot of people.

What a lot of you people are asking is unrealistic and if given to realistic terms actually quite boring. The mmorpg players are way past doing the same thing every night for 2 months till something slighty different opens up and repeat it again.

If you ask for 6 months to max level you are either asking for A) 6 months of unique content in the leveling progression or B) 6 months with content that you repeat endlessly.The first one is pretty much retarded and the second one..... Its fine if you want to kill 1 mob 10000000 times or do a dungeon 100000000 times. Most people dont.

What we need is content that fosters community and that isnt gated by an arbitrary number but in which you can progress endlesly with differen progression routes.

For many the main reaons to play mmorpg is the community. For me its maxxing out the character and beeing competetive, ot having these things, community doesnt matter because I can chat or go out and do ''nothing'' n IRL too right. I didnt buy mmorpg to just chat in game xD

I grew up on the western mmorpgs but more and more I think about it and I play them, more I hate these mmorpgs. Asian mmorpgs do have a lot of grind, it takes huge amount of time to max out your character, either a lot of rng involved, a lot of grind, luck etc. And I am okey with it, more than okey with playing dumped mmoprg where casual have same gear like HC player no matter what.

Thats why I play wow from release 2004 to the end of TBC and then I was just comming back for few weeks. Because in vanila/tbc you had to have best guilds to run 40 man raids or you didnt have the gear. Now ? Dont need the guild .. who cares, same gear to everyone ... maybe different colour, yeeeee

I dont say I want t o grind one mob or dungeon 1000 times order to drop the item, but I rather do THAT than run dungeon, kill mob once and I am maxxed out.

• ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281
    I voted 'other' as I would like to see a mmo without traditional levels, and instead crafting, building, trade, skill capture, aesthetic items, exploration and simple, old-fashioned fun gameplay as reasons for playing.  Levels and character progression too often seem to be provided as an alternative to fun.  

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

Originally posted by Dogblaster

For many the main reaons to play mmorpg is the community. For me its maxxing out the character and beeing competetive, ot having these things, community doesnt matter because I can chat or go out and do ''nothing'' n IRL too right. I didnt buy mmorpg to just chat in game xD

I grew up on the western mmorpgs but more and more I think about it and I play them, more I hate these mmorpgs. Asian mmorpgs do have a lot of grind, it takes huge amount of time to max out your character, either a lot of rng involved, a lot of grind, luck etc. And I am okey with it, more than okey with playing dumped mmoprg where casual have same gear like HC player no matter what.

Thats why I play wow from release 2004 to the end of TBC and then I was just comming back for few weeks. Because in vanila/tbc you had to have best guilds to run 40 man raids or you didnt have the gear. Now ? Dont need the guild .. who cares, same gear to everyone ... maybe different colour, yeeeee

I dont say I want t o grind one mob or dungeon 1000 times order to drop the item, but I rather do THAT than run dungeon, kill mob once and I am maxxed out.

Then why are you waiting on ARR? there are hundreds of games with endless grind available already, all asian of course.