Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just curious, but if Trion World can pull off a MMO shooter on the console, why cant CCP?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Defiance

Look at this game. At first I figured that the reason CCP couldnt make Dust 514 into a real MMOFPS was because of the limited hardware of the PS3 (PS4?)

But If that were the case why is it that Trion Worlds can pull off a MMO shooter on the same console?

I mean look at Dust 514

why couldnt CCP pull it off?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Because they didn't even try to?

Seriously, they went for the CoD type of game.. not the MMO type of game. It's blatently obvious, especially from that video you've linked.

They havn't failed at making an MMOFPS.. because they havn't made one.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Both games are horrible. We need real mmos!

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Originally posted by Vannor
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Because they didn't even try to?

Seriously, they went for the CoD type of game.. not the MMO type of game. It's blatently obvious, especially from that video you've linked.

They havn't failed at making an MMOFPS.. because they havn't made one.

Yep...and it's a genious plan. Grabbing a new market > splitting your current one.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Originally posted by Mannish

Both games are horrible. We need real mmos!

Agreed.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    CCP is making Dust 514. Look it up.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Originally posted by Normandy7
    CCP is making Dust 514. Look it up.

He knows that, he linked it in the video. Basically he is saying Trion is making an MMOFPS and CCP isn't. Which is true. But CCP didn't attempt to make one, they made a shooter, they weren't going to make an MMOFPS

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    It's basically like asking "Why didn't Trion link Defiance and Rift together? CCP linked dust 514 and eve online." same answer, they didn't try to link it. 
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

imagine Defiance like game MMOTPS but with full on faction PvP in persistent game world, as the focus instead of PvE focused like Defiance, while using Dust 514 weapons and stuff from EvE IP.

Could that work?

Would be over 9000 on the baddassery scale

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

In my opinion it seems like Trion's legacy will be making solid MMO's with good features that just lack any real artistic vision. They don't create interesting worlds, at all.

Again, this is my opinion though. I have a lot of respect for the company but they seem rather unimaginitive.

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

In my opinion it seems like Trion's legacy will be making solid MMO's with good features that just lack any real artistic vision. They don't create interesting worlds, at all.

Again, this is my opinion though. I have a lot of respect for the company but they seem rather unimaginitive.

I have become a Trion fanboy and I still have to agree somewhat.  My first impression of Rift was that it was beautiful and well-polished, but not particularly unique.  They just took the existing ideas that were out there and made a really solid game that doesn't take too many risks.  I imagine Defiance will be similar in that respect.

On the other hand, people constantly scream for something new and different, but when it comes along no one plays it and it becomes a niche game.  You can hardly fault a company for aiming right at the middle of the crowd.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

I've extensively played just about every AAA mmo that has released since the original EQ, and Rift has had some of the coolest most imaginative things i've seen EVER in any MMO.  Now, i havent played Defiance, so im not going to comment.  But to say that is just full blown absurdity.

The reality is people are too lazy and (frankly stupid) to put in the effort to get interested in new IP's anymore.  They're far more concerned about the next freeze dried iteration of their favorite current IP.  Whether thats warcraft, warhammer, modern warfare, tekken, elder scrolls, etc etc etc.

Anybody who spent a reasonable amount of time playign Rift would never EVER say that the game is lacking in artistic vision.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

Anybody who spent a reasonable amount of time playign Rift would never EVER say that the game is lacking in artistic vision.

I have played Rift since just after launch and while I wouldn't say it lacks artistic vision, I would grudgingly agree that it doesn't really strike a person as particularly imaginative.  Actually, maybe what I am trying to say is that it doesn't seem particularly unique.  That being said, I really like the Rift events and feel that it is the best example of the current style of themepark MMOs.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Raventree
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

I have played Rift since just after launch and while I wouldn't say it lacks artistic vision, I would grudgingly agree that it doesn't really strike a person as particularly imaginative.  That being said, I really like the Rift events and feel that it is the best example of the current style of themepark MMOs.

I guess i understand what you're saying.  But, IMO thats kind of a BS complaint (btw i say that with no malice or anger, im just making a point).

Why i say that is lets look at the fantasy book genre.  Generally most of the stories revolve in some way about some person, a peasent, thief, outcast, someone who isnt of high stature, who gets thrown into a situation and has to put on their big boy shoes and sack up and do something of merit, become somebody.

There are certain things which people just enjoy.  Dragons are always cool.  Werewolves are always cool.  Wizards blowing shit up, is always cool.  Rangers busting people's asses is always cool.

So, that being said, it just seems dumb to complain that a game lacks imagination because its using elves and dragons and magic.

I give LOTR:O as an example of why constantly trying to be cool and "innovate" can be stupid.  I think a big reason that game didnt do as well as it could have is because they just had to call things something different. Instead of calling it HP/Health, it was "morale", instead of Strength they had "Might", instead of Wisdom they had "Fate".  Its ridiculous, people don't want to relearn basic stuff like that.  Its like when games would call their in game currency something retarded instead of "gold" or "platinum" or something like that.  Nobody wants to say "i'll give you 500 Ichspatzoids for that"

Its like saying there is this really badass book you have to read, best fantasy story ever, but, oh, by the way, you have to learn this special language that its written in before you can read it.  Most people arent gonna put in the effort.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Dust was not supposed to be an MMOFPS. It is a regular shooter tied to the Eve universe. That's it.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Panther2103
    It's basically like asking "Why didn't Trion link Defiance and Rift together? CCP linked dust 514 and eve online." same answer, they didn't try to link it. 

Well said. image

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by saridon22

[mod edit]

amazing graphics ? yup for 15 years ago..

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Caldrin

amazing graphics ? yup for 15 years ago..

It's ad spam, not a person. Take the claim with a grain of salt. :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    [mod edit]