Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DDO - Returning Noob - Which package to buy?

GrandpaDJGrandpaDJ Member UncommonPosts: 132

I played DDO a bit. Never got above Level 4, but still had a lot of fun and am looking to give it another try. I got an email from Turbine for 50% off the new expansion (MotU). Does it make sense to spend 10 or 20 dollars on this or just go VIP or something else? Too many options  :)

Thanks for the help,

DJ

Comments

• GrandpaDJGrandpaDJ Member UncommonPosts: 132
    Anyone? I guess I can't post on the DDO forums as a free member  :(
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

I dont play anymore. Wasn't even sure how active the game is. Did enjoy it for some time though.

I do believe i heard their new xpac is on sale 50% off.

How active is the game still?

• stinknastystinknasty Member Posts: 10
    If you own Giant Hold , Vail , and devils battle ground , you can make do to 20 ez with just these

Hate to say it, but I'm still looking for an answer to my original question  :(  VIP or expansions? Is the game active enough to bother throwing money at it? I truly enjoyed playing, stopped because my wife lost interest...

Thanks,

DJ

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813
    Its still very active, especially on Argonessen. It still my favorite online game of all times.
    Originally posted by Aquazen
    Its still very active, especially on Argonessen. It still my favorite online game of all times.

That answers one of my questions! Should I sign up as a VIP or just use the 50% off Menace expansion? VIP seems pretty sweet as I get access to everything (I think), but I don't know if I'll play enough to justify $15/month. Something about work and kids messes with that  :)

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    imo you should just sub. Too many restrictions quest-wise and class wise if you go the other route. Sub one month and then if you don't like just kill it.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

VIP on Argesson then? I have a few little guys on Khyber but no big loss  :)  Any good guilds looking to help complete noobs? I'm old enough I never got past the 2nd edition pen and paper  :)

DJ

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

VIP, I'd say do the 3 month deal for a few bucks cheaper.  There should be a post on the official forums about downgrading to Premium.  It's just such a pita being harrassed with having to buy all the right packs.  Go VIP and when you got the ropes down then transition to Premium.

Ghallandra is pretty active too, at least really have no problems with the LFM being desolate.  Have only played on Ghallandra.

Turbine seems to be churning out a good deal of content.  Certainly leaps and bound better than what it use to be.  Enhancements are getting an overhaul which has been promised many years, and when it does I think there will be a massive revival of the game... at least for a little while.  With U17 released hopefully this will be the next major project to be delievered. 

I'd say yes this game is worth the money, and it's not like your required to spend a lot as you can also farm TP to buy your packs. 

• hidrohidro Member UncommonPosts: 52

I am completely out of options as far as MMORPGs.. so I'm debating trying this one...

Would anyone like to start a fresh adventure with me?

Console Esports?
    www.supergamebowl.com

• theAsnatheAsna Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Originally posted by djnestrick

I played DDO a bit. Never got above Level 4, but still had a lot of fun and am looking to give it another try. I got an email from Turbine for 50% off the new expansion (MotU). Does it make sense to spend 10 or 20 dollars on this or just go VIP or something else? Too many options  :)

Thanks for the help,

DJ

It all simply depends on how long you plan on playing the game. If you just want to play it without any restrictions then a subscription seems the right thing. On the other hand, if you should plan to play the game in the long run then canceling the subscription and buying the classes/races/quest packs you like gets more interesting (and beyond a certain point of time even cheaper).

• stinknastystinknasty Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by hidro

I am completely out of options as far as MMORPGs.. so I'm debating trying this one...

Would anyone like to start a fresh adventure with me?

If you pick Argesson , ive nothing under lvl 16 and im out of slots to make more, and other server ive still a slot or 2 open

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

I just redled and grabbed the xpac since it was on sale for 50% off. To me seemed worth it for the standard pack. I am restarting as a druid on Cannith because I use to play there and have a couple toons there with a few items in the bank. Not much help but its something.

Also if you grab the Standard pack it comes with some nice bonus items. Including the greater tome of learning which increases your xp from quests and vet status. Not to mention some adventure packs and druid class if you are not VIP. Oh yeah and 1000 turbine points. For $17 not bad at all imo.

• jacktorsjacktors Member UncommonPosts: 180

I just started playing DDO for the first time.. I think the game is a hidden gem. But if you are looking for a WOW GW2 clone, this is not the game.  If you like real fun dungeon crawls with traps, puzzles and story lines, then this game is worth a try.  I went VIP with the 3 month package, and I am very happy with it.  I recommend you doing the same, if you havent already.. Good luck.. 

PS. 

I play on Gallagad (Sp) too, and i find plenty of folks running around.  

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

I play on Sarlona, Argonessen has just been the typical, most populated sevrer over the years, that may have changed. IMHO, this game is an alt'i'holic's dream. I have 2 TR's and 16 level 20's over 3 servers (mostly on Sarlona). I always come back to this game every year 1/2. It's the only game that has literlly never been uninstalled on my computers (3 over time).

• AsleepAsleep Member UncommonPosts: 96

yeh this is one of my all time favorites, I currently am raiding in Rift, and haven't played the expansion, but this game is trully awesome and offer something soo many other games don't. While it is maybe a bit behind the curve and the combat is not my fav, its a different beast than most mmos, and you will rarely find yourself running in circles in some home base, waiting for a battleground to pop.

You can just go and go, solo this duo that, lfm a perfectly fine raid, join a guild do the harder raids, its fun, and there is always something to do. I prefer the raiding in Rift, but still miss things like the Ascension Chamber, and Titan, or soloing like crazy.

I hope at some point they re-vamp the game, like GW2.

anyways, deffinately VIP. gl

Thanks all for the excellent advice! I signed up for 3 months of VIP last night and rolled a druid on Khyber. The 3 month VIP seems like a no-brainer for $30. If you see a half-orc druid running by, say 'hi'!

DJ

• GoorlotGoorlot Newbie CommonPosts: 34
    If you're (still) only around level 4, most of the expansions won't be of any use to you: MotU is for epics (lvl 20+), Shadowfell Conspiracy is for the higher end of level 10+ (level 18, 19) with epic support, and Masterminds of Sharn is for 16s (with epic support). The only real, plausible expansion you could use soon would be Mists of Ravenloft, for level 10s. As for VIP... if you really want to spend money, go ahead. But just a warning, you may find the game very unfun later up the line.