Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFXIV will be the game of 2013 my bet!

Comments

• GamingGeekGamingGeek Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

here's another question.. why in a P2P game should a subscriber have to pay for an expansion pack at all? i played runes of magic for awhile and got all 3 expansions from them for free and never spent a dime for that game.. all I'm saying is P2P is fine I like it as it does tend to attract less asshats overall but Sub based games have been charging an arm and a leg for various services and add-ons I think should be included in the sub fee..

but no clue how FFXIV RR will work or what "extras" they will be selling.. guess well have to wait and see

Because Runes of Magic is a F2P MMO with a cash shop that makes potentially far more than a flat sub-based MMO does.  They don't charge a box fee or a subscription either.

They get their money through people spending inordinate amounts of $$$ in the cash shop. Completely different revenue model.

The flip-side to that being, of course, that you end up playing a game whose design is riddled with design choices specifically intended to try and coerce or entice people to use the cash shop as often as possible. Some can "resist" it. Many don't.

“Developers do not give players enough credit. And maybe even players don't give players enough credit.” - Ragnar Tørnquist

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Originally posted by kartana

No.

Reason: Subscription Model

IT would make more more likely to play.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• GamingGeekGamingGeek Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by Aethaeryn

No.

IT would make more more likely to play.

And indeed, it has already with 1.x0.

When they reinstated subs with 1.x, more people actually came back to the game to play it. It was busier in its last leg with subs active than it ever was during it's "free" period.

At the end of the day, no matter what anyone argues or how they try to spin it, people will pay for something if they find it worth the money. Subscription or otherwise.

“Developers do not give players enough credit. And maybe even players don't give players enough credit.” - Ragnar Tørnquist

• ozerinxozerinx Member UncommonPosts: 200

to be honest those people that are complaining about combat... look at 90% of the childhood games you played. Was it turned base or was it action combat? Yet, we stuck to those game and still remember becasue of their story. 

It was never the combat systems in games that drew the original gamers in. Action combat are meant for the players that felt /autoattack f1f2f3f4f5 is too easy but to be honest. When I played Tera and did Queens and etc. I felt like it was the exact same just now instead of "tab-targeting" I am facing the guy I am fighting which to be honest is not much harder once you get used to it. 

The reason I am hoping that ff14 arr succeeds is becasue of the content that it is saying it will have to offer. I don't want to play a game where the end game is all raids/dungeons. The only downfall to the game I would see is if the "things they said they are going to offer" is no where near the level it should be at. Not because of some combat system. 

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

The decision for 2013 seems to come down to: FFXIV: ARR, Neverwinter, and TESO, and to be honest, FFXIV looks to be the best of the bunch. I am glad they're sticking to their guns in regards to a subscription model rather than F2P garbage, and I truly hope it works out for them.

Same for TESO if it uses a subscription model. I don't know much about it.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Ghavrigg

The decision for 2013 seems to come down to: FFXIV: ARR, Neverwinter, and TESO, and to be honest, FFXIV looks to be the best of the bunch. I am glad they're sticking to their guns in regards to a subscription model rather than F2P garbage, and I truly hope it works out for them.

forgot Wildstar and Archage those both should be big contenders this year as well

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by Murugan

Subscription models do just fine at producing quality content.  Look at HBO.  In fact they do well because they are subscription based.  This frees them from having to cast a broad, cheap net, to lure in suckers.  People subscribe (or don't) because they like the game and the direction it is headed in.  There is not one single F2P or B2P game that is decent and going in a "good direction" (my opinion).

Speaking of broad, cheap nets..

I'm betting you've never watched The Newsroom..

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

forgot Wildstar and Archage those both should be big contenders this year as well

Ah, good call. They're both completely off the radar for me, but you're right, the hype train for them is well under way. So many choices!

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Nah.

My bet is that it will be a safe standard fare that will appeal to both long term FF lore fans and WoW players looking for an identical game with upgraded graphics.

It lacks any significant innovation to be considered game of the year up against the already announced competition.

• klaphoodklaphood Member UncommonPosts: 10

Completely agree to you two above evilastro! :)

I'm extremely thrilled for Neverwinter and can't wait, but my heart beats for XIV 2.0! <3

Ah, good call. They're both completely off the radar for me, but you're right, the hype train for them is well under way. So many choices!

yea this is looking to be a fun year.. also possibly blade & soul as well and the repopulation is well underway and could see a late 2013 release.. sooo many choices oh not to forget black desert online and star citizen(although thinking 2014 for these)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by klaphood

Completely agree to you two above evilastro! :)

I'm extremely thrilled for Neverwinter and can't wait, but my heart beats for XIV 2.0! <3

Oh don't get me wrong, I will be playing FFIV, but this isn't anything you haven't seen before. Neverwinter has a good shot at GOTY with the foundry.  If Archage gets released this year that will be a strong contender too.  TESO looks a bit too safe, but I guess the success of that game lies in the Realm vs Realm delivery.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

P2P is a positive, not a negative. Others posters have explained why well, so I won't bother reiterating those reasons here.

I personally hope that FFXIV makes a huge splash, but not amazing. I want see the game popular enough to make plenty of profit for SE to continue their fantastic update pace, but not so popular that is pullls in the dregs of the fotm crowd that saturates games like Tera, Rift, GW2, etc.

<3

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768

I agree with both sides,   if the game is worth it ill pay.  played 11 for years.  but games like WOW with box fee subscription fee, expansion fee, and cash shop are a little much for me.

I played Aion for over a year, and was only charged box, and subscription.  free expantions.   But again, if the game is good ill pay the sub + expansions

• BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333
    It's still turn based smacking. The dev even just stands there and uses the mouse to click the skills in the dungeon video. They learned nothing.
  • JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    Originally posted by Betakodo
    It's still turn based smacking. The dev even just stands there and uses the mouse to click the skills in the dungeon video. They learned nothing.

And you still don't enjoy the type of combat this game has. Maybe you are the one who hasn't learned. Go play GW2 or Tera if you must smash buttons mindlessly.

Originally posted by Jimmydean

And you still don't enjoy the type of combat this game has. Maybe you are the one who hasn't learned. Go play GW2 or Tera if you must smash buttons mindlessly.

not really sure why it has to be only one side or the other.. me personally I like both types of combat if done well.. i like gw2 style when I really want some fast paced skill based combat and i like slower more turned based combat when I want a slower more strategic style system.. not sure why so many are so left fence right fence on the topic

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

not really sure why it has to be only one side or the other.. me personally I like both types of combat if done well.. i like gw2 style when I really want some fast paced skill based combat and i like slower more turned based combat when I want a slower more strategic style system.. not sure why so many are so left fence right fence on the topic

I agree with you completely. I play Tera for my action combat fix. But I still appreciate a more tactical approach such as FFXIV uses, and disagree with the previous poster about them "having learned nothing".

I agree with you completely. I play Tera for my action combat fix. But I still appreciate a more tactical approach such as FFXIV uses, and disagree with the previous poster about them "having learned nothing".

same i like both styles as long as its not exatcly the same old same old but seeing the videos looks like they have some nice ideas

• CyborWolfTKCyborWolfTK Member Posts: 77

No.

A subsciption model will encourage me to play.

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    I hope it is.  Because it's the one game I'm really waiting for this year.
  • Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584

Tera is to simple . Being a archer i got to 20 in 6 hours . And it was not hard did not even die once. The skills are easy shoot , shoot , rain arrows down , shoot some more , pick up a health orb shoot some more . Childs play

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• patience13patience13 Member UncommonPosts: 15

I agree, each combat flavors has it's merits. But mainly I hope Final Fantasy XIV truly brings back Square Enix on the map.

So far I love the lore, the world, that Final Fantasy feeling as the director calls it. Now for other mechanics well...

Well I'll play this game no matter if it's b2p, f2p or sub. (Despite absurd generalizations on this thread that people who f2p are dumber then sub players???..I want it to be sub! but I would still play if it went f2p..(ironic statement no?)

action vs slower pace combat? ....I'll play it either way ..despite more mindless generalizations that people who play action combat are mindless button mashers?

From what I have scene on vids, and the direction of the Yoshida I'll be waiting for FFXIV impatiently.

/rant

Originally posted by patience13

I agree, each combat flavors have it's merits. But mainly I hope Final Fantasy XIV truly brings back Square Enix on the map. As for how much I like the lore, the world and ideas behind it...

Well I'll play this game no matter if it's b2p, f2p or sub. (Despite absurd generalizations on this thread that people who f2p are dumber then sub players???..I want it to be sub! but I would still play if it went f2p..(ironic statement no?)

action vs slower pace combat? ....I'll play it either way ..despite more mindless generalizations that people who play action combat are mindless button mashers?

From what I have scene on vids, and the direction of the Yoshida I'll be waiting for FFXIV impatiently.

/rant

+1 the rash generalizations that go one on these boards can be annoying sometimes:P

• miconamicona Member UncommonPosts: 677
    Am ganna play it no matter what the haters believe and say , i truly think it deserve a 2nd chance