Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Poll] What MMO world would you most want to play in?

To relieve my Sunday-evening boredom I have created a poll: -

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

Comments

• RossbossRossboss Member Posts: 240
    Sci-fi Space Opera was tempting, but I have to go with old faithful High Fantasy. BTW, Sci-fi Space Opera would be interesting to see, not really sure how that would work out in the end.

I played WoW up until WotLK, played RoM for 2 years and now Rift.
    I am F2P player. I support games when I feel they deserve my money and I want the items enough.
    I don't troll, and I don't take kindly to trolls.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

Well I went with sci-fi space opera, but as per space opera, nothing overtly realistic... Star Wars is good, as something like WildStar or Firefly is. Though I want to see some sort of space game (especially space exploration) in my space opera.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Was torn between Medieval and Western but went with Western just  because it has not been done (well at least).

People could set up towns / settlements .. claims etc.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903

You forgot Urban Fantasy.   Things like the Dresden Files and similar.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

there are STILL people voting for hi fantasy? Yuck.

I wouldn't mind if MMOs  involving cartoon elves or cuddly races entirely die out, get cancelled or shut down forever.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• utterbaverutterbaver Member UncommonPosts: 51

Wow. Totally went with Ancient mythology. Damn it! We need something new okay!?

The "Post-apocalyptic" option made me think of my bad memories with fallen earth. Yuck.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

High fantasy or post apocalytic (without guns).

SciFi is to FPS for my tastes.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813
    Cyberpunk'ish
  • CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

I had to vote Sci Fi.  Players are aching for more of that.  The industry doesn't seem to be getting the obvious point there. 

It was really tempting to choose Wild West though, as I've dreamed about an mmo like that for many years.  For now Red Dead Redemption has to suffice and it does so pretty well.  Its actually one of my all time favorite games. 

Then again, I also wouldn't mind both at the same time.  A wild west sci fi mmo would do just fine too.  I love Firefly after all.  Avatar kind of gives that away.   : P 

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by Aquazen
    Cyberpunk'ish

^ or steampunk

basically anything but another elven fantasy theme.

• ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281
    Originally posted by mmoguy43
    Originally posted by Aquazen
    Cyberpunk'ish

^ or steampunk

basically anything but another elven fantasy theme.

I kind of had this as alternate history, but should have made a separate category for it.  

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

The poll is vague.

High Fantasy is my main interest, but there is a lot of material about it that I dont like. LotR for example.

I prefer a more modern high fantasy. One that actually has women as active people, for example. And not just a random side character quickly ignored again so we can experience the Hobbits going to Mordor for another couple hundreds of pages. Yawn.

LotRO only too quickly agreed with my prejudices against LotR. Like, no female dwarves. Or only bards as healers. Not funny.

Space Opera is of course another interesting field, but what do we get there ? Against my personal hopes, TOR was just a huge disappointment and proof that EA really is out to just exploit Bioware for money. I think Jedis are actually a quite limited setting for fantasy. I am also underwhelmed by material like Dune.

So yeah, the question is, in the end, unanswerable. High Fantasy is the richest setting, because you can include any other setting into it, and usually thats done. But if I actually want to play a MMO depends upon the question of how it got implemented.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by FromHell

there are STILL people voting for hi fantasy? Yuck.

I wouldn't mind if MMOs  involving cartoon elves or cuddly races entirely die out, get cancelled or shut down forever.

Favorites are favorites.  I'm sure there are people who can't stand your favorite, but they're polite enough to allow you your choice without bashing you for it.

By the way, my preference is for High Fantasy.  I love magic and magical settings and I adore the Druid concept.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

Low Fantasy or Steampunk.

Originally posted by Adamantine

The poll is vague.

High Fantasy is my main interest, but there is a lot of material about it that I dont like. LotR for example.

I prefer a more modern high fantasy. One that actually has women as active people, for example. And not just a random side character quickly ignored again so we can experience the Hobbits going to Mordor for another couple hundreds of pages. Yawn.

LotRO only too quickly agreed with my prejudices against LotR. Like, no female dwarves. Or only bards as healers. Not funny.

Space Opera is of course another interesting field, but what do we get there ? Against my personal hopes, TOR was just a huge disappointment and proof that EA really is out to just exploit Bioware for money. I think Jedis are actually a quite limited setting for fantasy. I am also underwhelmed by material like Dune.

So yeah, the question is, in the end, unanswerable. High Fantasy is the richest setting, because you can include any other setting into it, and usually thats done. But if I actually want to play a MMO depends upon the question of how it got implemented.

I dislike high fantasy and do not understand its popularity.  I find it generic and inconsistent (in terms of fundamentals governing the world) in games, and that irritates me.  

I also think that Star Wars is a bad example of Space Opera as it contains very little by way of sci-fi, it is more a relocation of the Battle of Britain into space.  I was thinking more Asimov or Ian M Banks.  

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

In my opinion this genre is ripe for a Red Dead Redemption style Western MMO. It's really the only type of MMO we've never seen. Even a Steampunk Western would be good like a Wild Wild West themed MMO. Either way if it's done right it could be a winner.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Firefly-Online, kthx bai <3

Seriously though that MMO (space opera with western trappings) could be friggin awesome if done right (hell I was reading through Star Citizen's ship concept page and well... http://robertsspaceindustries.com/ships-plan/ the Aurora just sounds like a Firefly class ship to me, with a few guns granted but still... the underdog outer regions merchantman)

• tupodawg999tupodawg999 Member UncommonPosts: 724

1) high fantasy post-apocalyptic space opera

i.e. post-apocalyptic (but not on this planet as too depressing) alien civilization with lots of broken hi-tech around to learn and fix but with a high fantasy level of current technology and maybe a bunch of sentient and other species the aliens had collected from other planets before their society collapsed. so swords and half-fixed laser pistols (that are always going wrong)

2) ***non linear*** wandering space opera like the old traveller table top rpg

- a linear space game is like a linear fantasy game but a million times worse

3) medieval supernatural horror fantasy

like a diluted version of warhammer where the surface world is mostly a dark fantasy late medieval human world of halberds and early gunpowder like the empire in warhammer but with lots of covens, chaos cults, skaven, necromancers etc under the surface - a better description might be a medieval version of secret world

4) perfect high / low fantasy

i think for the perfect fantasy mmorpg each race / culture has to have a morrowind level of depth not just different looks and racial trait or two - so a continent made up of the equivalent of a hobbit morrowind, a dwarf morrowind, one or more human morrowinds, a high elf morrowind etc (or a Stygia morrowind, a Cimmerian Morrowind, a Turanian morrowind etc).

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Modern day high fantasy would be cool. Like if EverQuest Next was actually a modern day vision of Norrath...that would be weird.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    No matter what the coat of pixels, they're all fantasy underneath.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Nikopol

Well I went with sci-fi space opera, but as per space opera, nothing overtly realistic...

E.E. "Doc" Smith...heh.

Try coding Lensmen and Boskonians....just try.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• VindicarVindicar Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Gah... Post-Apo is a niche in the niches :o

Old school french hardcore whiner. Online since T4C.

I was "Namless" and "Daroot" in AO (Rk2)
    Been known as "Vindicar" (Aion (EU), SWTOR (EU), WoW (EU).
    Recently  Known as "Wundicar" and "Wundee" in Age of Wushu (US) and Wulin (EU)

Franky Rivera Reyes , From the Reyes Brotherhood (Star Citizen)

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    High Fantasy easily for me......
    Surprised at how many want yet more high fantasy.