Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New to FFXIV. quick question

Just a quick question, I never played FFXIV before and I am very excited to give it a try (asap!). I'd like to start on a fresh server, one without a bunch of lev 50's running around from before the reboot. Are they planning on creating new servers that will be exclusively for new players? Also on a completely unrelated note, how quick was the level progression before and has there been any information regarding how quick it will be after relaunch? I have always preferred games with a slower progression, in my estimation its a little ridiculous for most characters in these new mmo's to be hitting endgame content inside a month. Thanks for any information, I am gettin really pumped for this one. Hope we all get into beta soon.

Comments

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500

Hello man :)

Glad to see another excited person !!

To your first question ... Yes they are going to release servers for only new players, where you wont see any 50s from previous version :)

About your second question .. I am not sure about this one so I leave this answer up to someone more experienced at FF XIV v1.0... you can always check ZAM fansite with really active forums about FF XIV

I also prefer mmorpg to be build around longetivity. One character that takes atleast month or more to level up and months or years to gear up :) Hope A Realm Reborn is what we are lookiong for !

GL with your beta acess :) and GL to me too xD

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by crazzyjake
    Just a quick question, I never played FFXIV before and I am very excited to give it a try (asap!). I'd like to start on a fresh server, one without a bunch of lev 50's running around from before the reboot. Are they planning on creating new servers that will be exclusively for new players? Also on a completely unrelated note, how quick was the level progression before and has there been any information regarding how quick it will be after relaunch? I have always preferred games with a slower progression, in my estimation its a little ridiculous for most characters in these new mmo's to be hitting endgame content inside a month. Thanks for any information, I am gettin really pumped for this one. Hope we all get into beta soon.

In 1.0 it was always pretty fast, but still maybe slower than some other games on the market.

They then made it even faster, and made it pretty easy to power level the thought was that they were only developing endgame content at the time (because most of the team was working on ARR) so they didn't want people stuck in mid levels too long.

Now the game is launching with a great deal of dungeons and other mid level content, so it will likely not be as fast.  The exact speed of leveling at launch will not be known until beta 4, and the speed of leveling in alpha/beta before then is confidential under the NDA.

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782

The level progression was fast in the original FFXIV. I did not reach endgame content but I know of people who did after playing for two months. ARR is probably going to have faster progression. You can watch the videos on youtube. As the game stanfs fights are over within seconds and there is no rest between fights. There is nothing to stop you from killing one monster after the next until you're either too bored of fighting or you have reached max level.  Battle tempo is never thought out beyond mashing buttons, sometimes in a particular order. It's like a cross between street fighter and an RPG.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by Magiknight

The level progression was fast in the original FFXIV. I did not reach endgame content but I know of people who did after playing for two months. ARR is probably going to have faster progression. You can watch the videos on youtube. As the game stanfs fights are over within seconds and there is no rest between fights. There is nothing to stop you from killing one monster after the next until you're either too bored of fighting or you have reached max level.  Battle tempo is never thought out beyond mashing buttons, sometimes in a particular order. It's like a cross between street fighter and an RPG.

Pure conjecture after watching an alpha video not meant to showcase progression but just specific combat changes (alpha did not even contain the bulk of combat mechanics that will be available at launch, or even that were in 1.0)

Without the context to place what is shown in those videos your judgement of "how the game will play" is complete speculation and contradicted by statements by the director here.

Nova Crystallis: I have a friend who played the original quite a bit and he enjoyed the combat system and toward the end, the higher level challenges. So he’s kind of worried – he wonders, “How is this going to appeal to me?”

Yoshida: Rest assured, come Phase 3 [of the beta] you will be able to bring in your level 50 characters into the game. I know there’s some people who’ve seen the alpha version are saying “Well where’s the regular combos, and I want to see more challenging techniques to be present in the system.” But it’s alpha and only up to level 15, so I deliberately didn’t bring in the complicated systems at this stage because otherwise it would scare off all the new players. So don’t worry, when the game comes out there will definitely be more challenges to be had.

Originally posted by drivendawn
    Originally posted by drivendawn
    Originally posted by Murugan

Pure conjecture after watching an alpha video not meant to showcase progression but just specific combat changes (alpha did not even contain the bulk of combat mechanics that will be available at launch, or even that were in 1.0)

Without the context to place what is shown in those videos your judgement of "how the game will play" is complete speculation and contradicted by statements by the director here.

Nova Crystallis: I have a friend who played the original quite a bit and he enjoyed the combat system and toward the end, the higher level challenges. So he’s kind of worried – he wonders, “How is this going to appeal to me?”

Yoshida: Rest assured, come Phase 3 [of the beta] you will be able to bring in your level 50 characters into the game. I know there’s some people who’ve seen the alpha version are saying “Well where’s the regular combos, and I want to see more challenging techniques to be present in the system.” But it’s alpha and only up to level 15, so I deliberately didn’t bring in the complicated systems at this stage because otherwise it would scare off all the new players. So don’t worry, when the game comes out there will definitely be more challenges to be had.

[mod edit]
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Lol, oh sorry I'm just so used to that being the case that I jumped the gun. Sorry my bad.

Slow down next time

• patience13patience13 Member UncommonPosts: 15
    I don't know, Magi is just answering the question to me. I'm excited for FFXIV, and trying to get all info that I can but these forums do get nasty geez.

If you say combat will be faster and progression will be faster then we are not arguing about anything. We agree. The OP was asking about that and I answered. As it stands we both agree that it will be fast. Whether I will enjoy the game or not is irrelevent. It will be fast.

You can't read my statements or the statements in that interview. Give me a break jesus christ. I simply answered a question and you're the one who can only defend himself (against nothing) by pointing out the obvious fact that it's an incomplete game and then you have to resort to the NDA. Please, give me a break.

No we are not in agreement that it is a cross between street fighter and an RPG, I call that hyperbolic.

You also point to videos on youtube, and your experiences in Alpha as proof of what combat will be like. This is why I brought up the fact that it was an ALPHA and why they made you sign an NDA specifically so you couldn't spread such false conclusions.

I NEVER SAID I KNEW WHAT COMBAT WOULD BE LIKE!!! READ THE WORDS "You can watch the videos on youtube. As the game stanfs fights are over within seconds and there is no rest between fights." THIS IS ABOUT PACE!!!!

I never said you are weak and the monsters are strong or vice versa.. I never said there is or is not a holy trinity. I never said what skills do what. I never said how each class plays in a fight. I never said how many skills you have. I never said how group play or solo play works.

WHAT FALSE CONCLUSIONS?! IT WILL BE FAST! You said so yourself. Forget the street fights anology. I take it back.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    Originally posted by crazzyjake

Honestly, they made the game too much like WoW, I'm going to play it, but I feel they could have actually tried. Then again quest wise you'll probally only have enough to get 2 combat jobs high, after that its grinding. I got a 50 whm myself, but I plan to start all over for ARR, course my new char will have a platinum spoon in her mouth.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!