Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My opinion: GW2 biggest problem is

pongdunpongdun Member UncommonPosts: 81
Guys please tell me if you agree with me (or not). When they decided doing GW2 they gone on a path like Lineage 2, where there's not 2 factions (like wow - horde and alliance) that you can belong, you are by your own and you can gather with other players do some questing, etc, just like Tera. But the biggest problem is that GW2 has no world pvp, you can't attack a passing by player for example. If you want do to some pvp you have to do Battlegrounds or WvW... this is stupid, they should create some pvp servers where you can have a real pvp, in the world... not only on controlled instances!!!!!!!!

Comments

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
  • shiner421shiner421 Member Posts: 70

There is a reason for that. Nearly Every single FFA Pvp centric game has failed. Miserably. Reason for that is: greifers! Greifers are why I refuse to play ANY kind of Pvp. I will go the rest of my natural life without ever playing pvp. and if all future video games were to go the route of pvp (in any form) only (no pve) then I would quit video games altogether.

FFA Pvp jsut doesnt work, and it cannot work even theoretically. Becaseu even greifers get sick of being greifed. In my personal experience, the only people I have ever heard complain about there being no FFA PvP in a game are greifers. Each and every single time, without exception.

I hope that FFA pvp dies forever and never comes back in any form!

BTW, GW2 is a casual game designed for casual players. If you want anything OTHER than casual then stay clear of GW2.

I do not mewan this post to flame, or demean, rather just to give my 2 cents worth.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

think the DE system would be a horrible mess with owpvp.. also with the lore and how the story is setup it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense overall.

My biggest issue with the game right now is lack of a build saver. As i don't want to use the same build for PVE, WvW, dungeons, and sPVP... game desperatly needs some sort of build saver so I can swap between builds without having to go to LA respec then get all my other gear out the bank and swap into that set...

second issue I have is game needs to morph the utility skill system with the weapon skill system.. Adding in new weapon skills that would let you swap them in and out just like how the utility skills work.. those two imho would be HUGE helps for me in the game.. 

last note I hate owpvp in themepark MMOs it's pointless imho

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• pongdunpongdun Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Originally posted by shiner421

There is a reason for that. Nearly Every single FFA Pvp centric game has failed. Miserably. Reason for that is: greifers! Greifers are why I refuse to play ANY kind of Pvp. I will go the rest of my natural life without ever playing pvp. and if all future video games were to go the route of pvp (in any form) only (no pve) then I would quit video games altogether.

FFA Pvp jsut doesnt work, and it cannot work even theoretically. Becaseu even greifers get sick of being greifed. In my personal experience, the only people I have ever heard complain about there being no FFA PvP in a game are greifers. Each and every single time, without exception.

I hope that FFA pvp dies forever and never comes back in any form!

BTW, GW2 is a casual game designed for casual players. If you want anything OTHER than casual then stay clear of GW2.

I do not mewan this post to flame, or demean, rather just to give my 2 cents worth.

Friend in fact you don't like pvp, and thats ok, but some people like it, I think the game could have PVE servers and PVP servers. If you don't like gankers you just play on a PVE server and that's ok.

In a game with Factions (WOW, Rift etc) when you are leveling or anything you can have some pvp in certain areas where players from different factions will meet and that's really really nice, it's the world PVP. But GW2 the name says: Guild Wars, but there's no guild wars, no real pvp, WTF. In Tera for example you can do some GvG in world pvp and etc. GW2 fails because of that, you can do more pvp in Rift for example than in GW2!

double post

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

here's some "real" pvp imho.. yesterday in WvW we were storming one of the smaller keeps which is just down the road from a larger one. We started getting flanked by the other team who currently held both the larger and smaller keeps. We fought off the flanking team and just down the road some of our guys were setting up some seige gear to help take over the smaller keep. We directed the guys with the seige gear to attack the flanking enemies as we continued to attack the small keep. The seige gear held of the flankers and we were able ot split the seige gear and a small team to hold the back while we pushed forward on the small keep.. after about an hour of this we took over the small keep and regrouped with the guys with the seige equipment and formed a larger group to take on the large keep..

to me this is real PVP.. teamwork, coordination, massive battles.. owpvp ganking/greiving while I'm questing can stay far far away from this game imho

• Deto123Deto123 Member Posts: 689
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

here's some "real" pvp imho.. yesterday in WvW we were storming one of the smaller keeps which is just down the road from a larger one. We started getting flanked by the other team who currently held both the larger and smaller keeps. We fought off the flanking team and just down the road some of our guys were setting up some seige gear to help take over the smaller keep. We directed the guys with the seige gear to attack the flanking enemies as we continued to attack the small keep. The seige gear held of the flankers and we were able ot split the seige gear and a small team to hold the back while we pushed forward on the small keep.. after about an hour of this we took over the small keep and regrouped with the guys with the seige equipment and formed a larger group to take on the large keep..

to me this is real PVP.. teamwork, coordination, massive battles.. owpvp ganking/greiving while I'm questing can stay far far away from this game imho

Well, without trying to be an ass, all of this with no meaning to the world at all. You leave the WvW area, and all this means nothing.

• pongdunpongdun Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Exactly, pvp on a controlled instance (WvW or battlegrounds) are like rats inside a cage fighthing.. it's not cool as world pvp. I respect your opinion, but there should have some servers where world pvp is allowed. Like I said you can play on a PVE server if you just like BG PVPs!
  • infiniti70infiniti70 Member UncommonPosts: 73

GW2 is a single player game with MMO features. You can follow your single player story line, find POI and simple quest, and jusmp around following the "dynamic" events (which are for the most part boring after a point).

Open world PvP does exsist, it is just pointless (control points swaps ownership continuously to zerg) without any real point accept sever scoreboard.

Best open world PvP has purpose (control resources/content). Open PvP simply to kill another player (who may or may not want to PvP) is equally as dumb.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Wow bg had no meaning, griefing someone in the open world has no meaning. Anet have aknowledged they want to make pvp more meaningful. So happy I guess?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

Originally posted by Deto123

Well, without trying to be an ass, all of this with no meaning to the world at all. You leave the WvW area, and all this means nothing.

so? i had a BLAST during that fight. Don't care if it doesn't have a "meaningful" effect on the outside world.. WvW is its own world in itself as far as I'm concerned.. This is a themepark I don't expect deep meaningful PVP from themeparks I expect fun fights and lots of them and that's what I get from gw2.. you also get lots of smaller skirmishes as well like these kinds of fights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xXw97Wz7R8&t=1m35s

also march is supposed to be a big WvW update interested to see what they add

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by pongdun
    Guys please tell me if you agree with me (or not). When they decided doing GW2 they gone on a path like Lineage 2, where there's not 2 factions (like wow - horde and alliance) that you can belong, you are by your own and you can gather with other players do some questing, etc, just like Tera. But the biggest problem is that GW2 has no world pvp, you can't attack a passing by player for example. If you want do to some pvp you have to do Battlegrounds or WvW... this is stupid, they should create some pvp servers where you can have a real pvp, in the world... not only on controlled instances!!!!!!!!

You came up with this brilliant theory that no open world PvP in a GW2 is and I quote "STUPID" I'm impressed, ARENANET sign this guy up he is the genius you've been searching for all this time, instead of selling 3+ million clients you would have sold a bazillion clients, how could you have been so "STUPID" I mean really? 

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

Pangdun open world pvp is allowed, it's called wvwvw, or do you want to gank people questing/ gathering in the pve zones?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

so? i had a BLAST during that fight. Don't care if it doesn't have a "meaningful" effect on the outside world.. WvW is its own world in itself as far as I'm concerned.. This is a themepark I don't expect deep meaningful PVP from themeparks I expect fun fights and lots of them and that's what I get from gw2.. you also get lots of smaller skirmishes as well like these kinds of fights

And I do care, hence why I said it. All WvW is, is another tact on game to the actual game. Some people like it, I hate it. Nothing else to really say. I hate playing MMOs where aspects of the game have no meaning to the rest of the game at all. WvW is one of the worst offenders of that in any MMO I ve seen.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Open world pvp is a little much for GW2. Now dont get me wrong im a sandbox gamer by heart so dont mind it. And im more of a crafter, but do enjoy good pvp from time to time.

But think battlegrounds, or points of contents for the factions (make some) that move and adjust by actions made in game would be well worth it. Allow pve and crafters to take part in the war effort to allow everyone to take part in the fighting. Would protect carebears and people that dont know what ganking really is and allow them the choice, while giving pvp players what they want in the process.

And I do care, hence why I said it. All WvW is, is another tact on game to the actual game. Some people like it, I hate it. Nothing else to really say. I hate playing MMOs where aspects of the game have no meaning to the rest of the game at all. WvW is one of the worst offenders of that in any MMO I ve seen.

I understand your point and why you would not like WvW but curious on the last sentance as everything you earn in the regular questing world you bring to WvW so your character armor/skills all that is directly connected.. sPVP on the other hand I can see as that is pretty much a completely seperate game in itself.. For me though I view GW2 as 3 games in one and can enjoy it that way no problem at all.. I to would love good teritory control owpvp in the persistent world but in themepark games I just find owpvp worthless and a waiste of time.. 

Are people here actually playing gw2? Wvwvw = open world pvp with pvp and pve gathering/support/events. Reading between the lines people want to attack people in pve zones rather than play in dedicated open world zones.

Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Are people here actually playing gw2? Wvwvw = open world pvp with pvp and pve gathering/support/events. Reading between the lines people want to attack people in pve zones rather than play in dedicated open world zones.

some people feel because WvW isn't part of the regular questing world it doesnt "count" i suppose.. I dunno for me i just view WvW as a world itself and enjoy it that way.

guess they won't enjoy teso PVP either as it isn't part of the questing zones either...

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500

For me Guild Wars 2 biggest problem is: Too easy and fast max out character. You can level your character in week (my avarage time was 40-45 hours) and few more days to obtain best armor availible. I think (personaly) leveling should take ATLEAT month or more and maxing out/gearing your character should take several months/years. Now all players do is level up one character and 2 weeks laters another one, again and again ... NOT FUn

Why todays mmorpg let you have your character leveled in week and maxed out in another week? I dont see another reason than just please casual players and for me it makes the game not fun at all. So I last just few months. Sadly

Man I did level 7x 80 lvl and after crafting those 2 legendaries (Juggernaut, Predator) I just quit .. waste of time

P.S.: 1550 hours played... didnt play for month

I understand your point and why you would not like WvW but curious on the last sentance as everything you earn in the regular questing world you bring to WvW so your character armor/skills all that is directly connected.. sPVP on the other hand I can see as that is pretty much a completely seperate game in itself.. For me though I view GW2 as 3 games in one and can enjoy it that way no problem at all.. I to would love good teritory control owpvp in the persistent world but in themepark games I just find owpvp worthless and a waiste of time.. 

Taking pve items and skills into WvW is the opposite of what I m talking about. What I do in WvW, I want to effect the world when I leave it. Nothing at all happens. I go back to my level I entered with. Give me relics that you control, for power to my server, a dungeon your server can only access on that cluster, resources only available to the server that owns the main keep etc. Yes some of it sounds like DAOC, but that game made sense, this gives me no reason to want to win at all. Hence why I hate how it has no effect on me when I leave there.

Ye they are basically open world Pvp zones, I think abou them in th same way. They don't want to portal to the zones marks as oPen world pvp, but they do want to port to kessex say where they should be able to grief pve players.

Originally posted by Dogblaster

For me Guild Wars 2 biggest problem is: Too easy and fast max out character. You can level your character in week (my avarage time was 40-45 hours) and few more days to obtain best armor availible. For me, leveling should take month + and maxing out/gearing your character should take months/years. Now all players do is level up one character and 2 weeks laters another one, again and again ... NOT FUn

Man I did level 7x 80 lvl and after crafting those 2 legendaries (Juggernaut, Predator) I just quit .. waste of time

P.S.: 1550 hours played... didnt play for month

wow 40-45 hours? fastest I done it was 140 hours on my first character.. 100 hours on my second... do you not stop to talk to people at all? or not help out guildmates do random things? i don't think I know anyone that leveled a character to 80 that fast.. asked around my guild fastest was 70 hours and he did almost half of it crafting

Taking pve items and skills into WvW is the opposite of what I m talking about. What I do in WvW, I want to effect the world when I leave it. Nothing at all happens. I go back to my level I entered with. Give me relics that you control, for power to my server, a dungeon your server can only access on that cluster, resources only available to the server that owns the main keep etc. Yes some of it sounds like DAOC, but that game made sense, this gives me no reason to want to win at all. Hence why I hate how it has no effect on me when I leave there.

gw2 WvW has this

gw2 WvW has this

Yes, I know, but meaningless, as noone cares. If you ever played DAOC, you would know what I mean.

gw2 WvW has this

Yes, I know, but meaningless, as noone cares. If you ever played DAOC, you would know what I mean.

for a good server the benefits are hardly meaningless

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Power_of_the_Mists

also looking forward to the march update as they are supposed to expand on WvW a lot.. hopefully they follow through