Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DRAGONS?!?!?!?!?

I noticed on their website that there are pictures of dragons everywhere...Forshadowing? 

Comments

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599
    Yes, Mark has mentioned Dragons in the gam
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Aye, MJ already said there would be Dragons in CU.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Since no pve, does this mean players can mount dragons and kick asses?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

what is everybodys obsession with dragons and why do people always feel games need more of them?

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by skyexile

what is everybodys obsession with dragons and why do people always feel games need more of them?

I agree...why can't we have like say...a giant killer turnip or tomato (Killer Tomato's)? Or maybe a monster killer Beagle? Enough with the dragons.

600th post

• RaunuRaunu Member UncommonPosts: 480
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Mark never said there would be NO PvE. What mark said was there would be very little PvE, and what PvE there is won't give you good loot.

If I were him I'd have the dragons be crafting resources of a sort. Kill the dragon, gather it's scales, teeth, bones, flame sack and use them as crafting materials. All the items you get from these dragons should have MANY uses. For isntance, a crafter could use the flame sack with any weapon and give the sword fire damage properties, or use it with any armor and imbue the armor with resistance to fire.   All of the crafting resources should have many uses, that way they are ALWAYS in demand and there is always a fight over who gets to slay the dragons.

Also, there should be many different types of dragons.  Ice dragons in the northern cold lands, earth dragons in the forest, fire dragons in some desert or volcanic region.

The faction that controls the local keep for the reagion should get a buff that is only applicable to the fight with the corresponding dragon. This will keep control of that fort in constant demand and give the team who controls the fort a reason to defend it.

Edit*

The bonuses you get from using these more rare materials in your crafting sould be small and not make the person who has them much more powerful than someone who doesn't It should be a minor difference in power.

All of the above are just my ideas on what to do with the dragons and how to incorporate them into the game in a meaningful way so that they will always be fought over.

- - "What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?" - -

• General_Dru-ZodGeneral_Dru-Zod Member Posts: 136

Limited PvE

Also, another thing I'd like to see with the dragons is having multiple dragons that have a chance to spawn at each spawn point.  For istance, where the fire dragon spawns, there is a chance for one of 3 or 4 different dragons to spawn, each with unique set of abilities and needed set of tactics to fight it.

Originally posted by skyexile

I know right. Why have swords, hammers, maces in fantasy theme RPGs anymore?

why have magic in fantasy theme RPGs anymore? Lets have space ships in all future fantasy theme RPGs, like EvE does. How aout robots and fish-robotic like creatures?

Originally posted by Raunu

Mark never said there would be NO PvE. What mark said was there would be very little PvE, and what PvE there is won't give you good loot.

If I were him I'd have the dragons be crafting resources of a sort. Kill the dragon, gather it's scales, teeth, bones, flame sack and use them as crafting materials. All the items you get from these dragons should have MANY uses. For isntance, a crafter could use the flame sack with any weapon and give the sword fire damage properties, or use it with any armor and imbue the armor with resistance to fire.   All of the crafting resources should have many uses, that way they are ALWAYS in demand and there is always a fight over who gets to slay the dragons.

Also, there should be many different types of dragons.  Ice dragons in the northern cold lands, earth dragons in the forest, fire dragons in some desert or volcanic region.

The faction that controls the local keep for the reagion should get a buff that is only applicable to the fight with the corresponding dragon. This will keep control of that fort in constant demand and give the team who controls the fort a reason to defend it.

Edit*

The bonuses you get from using these more rare materials in your crafting sould be small and not make the person who has them much more powerful than someone who doesn't It should be a minor difference in power.

All of the above are just my ideas on what to do with the dragons and how to incorporate them into the game in a meaningful way so that they will always be fought over.

All that you judged requested is counter effective if like he said, PvE doesn't give good loot. If it drops good crafting items, than its dropping good loot. Which he said it wouldn't do. So...

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599

I hope the dragons are random spawns (that roam) and have a chance of attacking during sieges, etc.

It would ble freaking amazing to be fighting a huge siege against an enemy realm, and have a dragon just swoop down and start fighting EVERYONE, on both sides of the battle. That'd be so epic.

Originally posted by Stiler

I hope the dragons are random spawns (that roam) and have a chance of attacking during sieges, etc.

It would ble freaking amazing to be fighting a huge siege against an enemy realm, and have a dragon just swoop down and start fighting EVERYONE, on both sides of the battle. That'd be so epic.

I hope dragons are player mounted like Warcraft 2 lore for the horde, who could mount the dragons and rampage Alliance armies. That could be pretty badass in a MMO game.

Originally posted by Raunu

Edit*

All that you judged requested is counter effective if like he said, PvE doesn't give good loot. If it drops good crafting items, than its dropping good loot. Which he said it wouldn't do. So...

It's no different than having a vein of ore out in the contested zones. The fact that it comes from something that will fight back doesn't make it any different than any other crafting material. Just perhaps more difficult to get.

As I said in my post if you could use something you got from the dragon on a sword, where the regular sword was 100 dps. Perhaps the sword with the special crafting material would be 102 dps. A very minor buff to the item in question. 

Perhaps to even things out, and to make the items even more valuable, the buff is only good for a certain number of swings of your sword before you need to get another flame sack from the dragon and re-apply it.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I hope they're bad ass dragons like we had in DAOC. I remember on Guinevere we were the first to take down a dragon. It was awesome, even if we didn't get loot because we were all dead and the loot disappeared, heh.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• tleartlear Member Posts: 142
    Maybe capturing "relic" unleashes a dragon to rampage across the other 2 realms?
  • versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288

meh... It doesn't have to be in a traditional pve-sense. I have an image of a dragon chained up in the courtyard of a keep. The attackers smash through the doors only to have a huge gout of flame streaking towards them.

Besides, no true medieval fantasy game can be without someplace that has a huge dragon head stuck on a pike. It's as essential as taverns and blacksmiths.

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    @Stiler: completely agree. That would be epic. Imagine enemies teaming up to take it down!

Dragons as "seige weapons" is also an interesting concept. Imagine a crafting class specializing in raising and training dragonkind. Drakes, wyverns, wyrms, etc. Might get a little old though, having dragons being so commonplace.