Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most Annoying Feature Trend

Comments

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by stragen001

The most annoying feature trend in MMOs, is in my opinion, poeple whining about how good MMOs used to be, and how the genre has been ruined. 

On a more serious note, Cash shops and dungeon finders are my 2 pet hates. 

Wait till the day they start trending away from your preferred play style and gameplay.  Who wouldn't complain when they're being left behind with nothing suitable to play anymore.  Maybe people like you need to read the dictionary more as you can't seem to separate the difference between complaint  and whine.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by wormywyrm

You just blew my mind man, I thought that saying was impossible but now I see there was a hill between home and the school.  I need to learn to think out of the box more.

You should have read the small type in the contract: "Hill required for sense-of-accomplishment and immersion."

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Most annoying trend are daily quests nothing else comes close.
  • NightgroperNightgroper Member Posts: 76
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

The most annoying feature trend in MMOs, is in my opinion, poeple whining about how good MMOs used to be, and how the genre has been ruined. 

Wait till the day they start trending away from your preferred play style and gameplay.  Who wouldn't complain when they're being left behind with nothing suitable to play anymore.  Maybe people like you need to read the dictionary more as you can't seem to separate the difference between complaint  and whine.

You may want to use that dictionary yourself and look up the word nostalgia.

The more I'm around the forums on this site, the more bitter I become.

• MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780

Casualisation.

The race to get there so as to appeal to as many people as possible (the broadest mass market) means games are designed for the lowest common denominator.

This may please investors but as a gamer i see so much potential in the genre wasted in the name of making the biggest return on your money.

Originally posted by Mykell

Casualisation.

Er, that actually is a word (according to OED anyway)., it's not spelled how you think, and does not mean exactly what you think it does.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Casualisation.

Er, that actually is a word (according to OED anyway)., it's not spelled how you think, and does not mean exactly what you think it does.

Do we care it's spelled correctly or he explained it right? We all know what he means with the (not correct?) word ;-)

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514

1.) I think my biggest gripe is 3rd person view.  I hate it so much in MMOs.  Such an immersion breaker to me.  This is part of what made the old EQ world so amazing, and is especially noticeable and frustrating in dungeons.  It's not much of a dungeon crawl if there's no roof/tunnels, etc.

2.) Instancing.  There are a couple of perks to it, but it's one of those features where "less is more".  I miss open world dungeons and bosses and such.  And, obviously this covers the PvP end as well.

And, pretty much, all the other stuff people already posted.  Too many accurate comments to quote or bother reposting.

Originally posted by Reizla
    Do we care it's spelled correctly or he explained it right? We all know what he means with the (not correct?) word ;-)

Naw, I'm just snarking, and I will stop now.

Why does this asocial mood take me over every time someone whips out the tired old H/C War (again)?

Or is it the usual sunday-on-mmogcom?

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704
    Originally posted by Lokero

1.) I think my biggest gripe is 3rd person view.  I hate it so much in MMOs.  Such an immersion breaker to me.  This is part of what made the old EQ world so amazing, and is especially noticeable and frustrating in dungeons.  It's not much of a dungeon crawl if there's no roof/tunnels, etc.

2.) Instancing.  There are a couple of perks to it, but it's one of those features where "less is more".  I miss open world dungeons and bosses and such.  And, obviously this covers the PvP end as well.

And, pretty much, all the other stuff people already posted.  Too many accurate comments to quote or bother reposting.

Yes that is a good one I think we have been missing; I don't get why so many games exclude a first person view.  It would be so easy to just let us zoom in all the way.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by Reizla

Casualisation.

"Joo keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Don't mind him, he seems to fancy himself as our resident "snarky britches" and doesn't seem to realize that the only thing more silly than arguing with people on the internet, is to argue with people about arguing on the internet. I find it helps to think of him as this sites version of Statler and Waldorf from the Muppet Show.

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    I find voice chat annoying.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by FARGIN_WAR
    Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    BINGO!

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

Who ased you, Fargin? Don't you have important trolling to get back to?

• FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166
    Who ased you, Fargin? Don't you have important trolling to get back to?

LOL! No I'm too busy trying to take out the Dundee Mob.

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500

Yes that is a good one I think we have been missing; I don't get why so many games exclude a first person view.  It would be so easy to just let us zoom in all the way.

First person view = cant see your armor, cant see your weapon. GEAR is one of the most imporatnt aspect of mmorpgs. For me the best about mmorpgs is when you finally drop, grind that best piece of gear and equip it and it looks awesome and you can be proude of it.

Originally posted by AlBQuirky

BINGO!

Sadly .. money are all most the developers are aiming for (They are companie after all) so naturally they are tryeing to get as much players possible to buy the game.. and as we all know, there are A LOT more single player players. A LOT MORE ..

Everyone is just becomming greedy more and more  :) including companies, they dont want to run sucesful mmorpg that creates avarage profits for 10 years, they want cash cow that generates as much money as possible :)

• ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281
    Originally posted by Dogblaster

First person view = cant see your armor, cant see your weapon. GEAR is one of the most imporatnt aspect of mmorpgs. For me the best about mmorpgs is when you finally drop, grind that best piece of gear and equip it and it looks awesome and you can be proude of it.

Unfortunately that piece of gear often looks massively oversized with needless and quite ridiculous onamentation all over it, and you wind up pining for that nice, inoffensive, normal-looking armour you had when you first came out of character creation.  

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

• MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780

Casualisation.

Thank you little miss grammer mistress. I should have said over-simplification or dumbing down.

I've always said I blame MMO's for making me stupider and now you have shown me proof.

Unfortunately that piece of gear often looks massively oversized with needless and quite ridiculous onamentation all over it, and you wind up pining for that nice, inoffensive, normal-looking armour you had when you first came out of character creation.  

Ofcourse this is about personal preference and taste. As I said for me armor and weapons are really imporatnt in mmorpgs :) It gives me additional sence of progression, reason to max out character, reason to play as much possible so I obtain the best gear among the first, etc.. you know what I mean :) Someone mainly enjoy just the playing the mmorpgs, I enjoy the maxing out character the most.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704
    Originally posted by Dogblaster

:/ Scroll wheel out or hit 'C' to see your character.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

:/ Scroll wheel out or hit 'C' to see your character.

Or zoom in to go into first person view ? :) right ? xD

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

Casualisation.

Thank you little miss grammer mistress. I should have said over-simplification or dumbing down.

I've always said I blame MMO's for making me stupider and now you have shown me proof.

HAHA,This made me laugh :)

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720
    Originally posted by Nightgroper
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

You may want to use that dictionary yourself and look up the word nostalgia.

And the phrase "rose tinted glasses"

Just look at these people who say they want a Vanilla WOW server thinking they will get that same experience they had when they first played WOW. They Won't.

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    Casual Gamers!