Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My search for the holy grail 'game' is over again

Short intro: 40 years old and grew up on zx spectrum 48k and c64.  I switched to consoles like the mega drive in the 90s then came back to the glorious PC gaming world. 

I played mainly Counterstrike 1.6 and kingpin then fell foul of Warcraft for 8 years on and off. During that period I loved Company of  Heroes also and have enjoyed world of tanks.

Turkeys that ate my wallet dollars included AOC, Tera, Warhammer, GW2 and rift.

I played bad company 2 and bf3 a bit but got sick of the repetitve nature and have burnt out on the FPS....my age?

I have also realised I have burnt out on fantasy MMOs since I stopped playing MIsts of Pandaria...I couldn't take it anymore.

Anyway I need a game in my life to make me forget I'm married with children. I thought about doing another World of tanks line grind but have burnt out on that too.

DayZ standalone and Coh opposing fronts are not out for a few months so I thought I was finished...I would have to talk to my wife.

Until my quest for the holy grail of addictive games lead me to Warthunder...a WW2 plane shooter...it has saved me for a few months.

Playing warthunder and watching the new Walking Dead series and not having to engage in conversation with my wife...well I'm as happy as a pig in one huge massive pile of stinking poo.

BTW I watched Battleship last night....a turkey to match the turkeys I have bought.

Comments

• Silky303Silky303 Member Posts: 134
    Ever try WWIIOL?

Not for the faint hearted but its kept me engaged since SWG imploded in 2005

SWG > Aces High > WWIIOL

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    If you want I got a Firefall invite (think it's a full one, not just for the beta events) to spare :)

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Op your history is identical to mine almost. Themeparks were driven down a dead end with wow (try to be jack of all trades, master of none) so I'm also waiting for the next gen themepark (gw2 may fit the bill in a year or so). In the mean time I play on a burning crusade server and it is still the best flavour of themepark to be produced to date. It's stil a blast to play.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• MaozorzMaozorz Member Posts: 5

Played both for over 10 years, always loved MMOs.

I would say sandbox, and Wurm Online is the best of all games (sandbox or not).

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

LOL , remind me of myself.

Not the same game collection though.

Anyway, try Age of Wushu , real original - unlike any MMO we played before.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704
    Originally posted by airborne1312

BTW I watched Battleship last night....a turkey to match the turkeys I have bought. 

Hoow did NO ONE warn you???  Perhaps the worst movie ever made.

I know how you feel there are many burnt out mmo players on these forums.  Too bad we are not back in time you probably would have enjoyed SWG especially since you are feeling sick of fantasy games.  

On the other hand, you played wow for 8 years so I don't know what the heck is going on in your head.

I have no recommendations for you, sorry, mmo's suck.  We should prob get a new hobby.

Originally posted by Maozorz

Played both for over 10 years, always loved MMOs.

I would say sandbox, and Wurm Online is the best of all games (sandbox or not).

I am going to give wurm a shot right now.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• DarkmothDarkmoth Member Posts: 174

I think the whole "trinity" discussion isn't as much about the classes, as about the direction of the games. Most WoW classes have a large degree of flexibility - you can do any non-raid content with a group of all druids, all paladins, all monks, and possibly all hunters. I can't think of a class that doesn't have a great deal of control ability, and most can do some healing.

I've been playing a balance druid (nuker) when our tank went down. I switched to bear and grabbed what aggro I could, periodically swapping to moonkin to drop HoTs on some of the squishier DPS. Had I been with a better group, I wouldn't have had to do even that, because the 3 dps I was playing with each have some form of mez/stun/blind...they just couldn't be bothered. Back in the day, your skill at CC was considered part of your skill as DPS. Now, of course, with everyone so overgeared, the tank just pulls everything while the DPS AEs it down. That's not really an issue with a classes as much as an issue with the gear levels.

As far as aggro mechanics...I prefer the "taunt" based aggro of trinity-style combat. To me aggro is as much of a control ability as mez, blind, sleep, slow, stun, snare, confuse or fear. In fact, I'd argue that Taunt and Charm are two sides of the exact same coin. They are abilities that allow you to affect the behavioral characteristics of the mobs. When coupled with abilties that affect the physical characteristics of the mobs (debuffs), you are giving players a vast toolset to work with, and I like that sort of depth.

Again, the gear tradmill has made it so that no one NEEDS to mezz or stun anymore, but that's a matter of encounter design.

To be honest, I always thought kiting was a much more broken mechanic than taunting. My EQ Druid could kill four things at once, regardless of their hit points or damage output. That's MUCH sillier than a spell that makes a mob go berserk on a specific target.

• murdok2001murdok2001 Member UncommonPosts: 1

keep an eye into TOPIA online, a sandbox game (its on closed beta, and its growing fast).

Also, star citizien, archeage(if you want you can play on korean servers), repopulation... all of there sandbox games. bahh, i am going to get mad , every game i want to play, its under developement, or isnt rdy yet.

or use Oculus rift, and play star citizien when its rdy, and some awesome games! in a future!

• RhinotonesRhinotones Member UncommonPosts: 250

Another guy here with almost identical experiences as yourself. Same age, similar past games and similar history with WOW. Also left WoW when the Pandas arrived. Realised the game had become too childlike for my taste with the pokemon pet battles etc.

Personally I think that WoW caters to the younger gaming community which has left many guys like us looking for something similar yet more sophisticated, complex and mature. 

For me, I would like to see a game where It takes a good number of months to develop ones character. Not what I see around today where you can have a max character within weeks yet you still have no real idea how to play it well or understand the game fully.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704
    Originally posted by murdok2001

keep an eye into TOPIA online, a sandbox game (its on closed beta, and its growing fast).

Also, star citizien, archeage(if you want you can play on korean servers), repopulation... all of there sandbox games. bahh, i am going to get mad , every game i want to play, its under developement, or isnt rdy yet.

or use Oculus rift, and play star citizien when its rdy, and some awesome games! in a future!

I LOLed at Topia's website.  OK I am not even saying it is vaporware or that it will be no good.  I hope it comes out and stuff, and as a casual programmer myself I have made crappy morpgs before and I want to make more 2d morpgs.

But still...  Making the website a miniature (and terrible) RPG unto itself?  That is just poor design and marketing.  *smacks hand against forehead*  It is cute though and memorable.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• heocatheocat Member UncommonPosts: 178
    53 myself seen em all wishing for DAOC II but not waiting. I play 2 that are not standard; EVE online I keep going back to it always good sandbox. Pirates of the burning sea since $OE got away from it. Its being redone from the bottom up by three of the first makers. Alot of people are slowely coming back. It has a very low pop right now I would recomend EU server. Easy to level up different type of PVP.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Originally posted by murdok2001

Topia online does look pretty cool.  I love what it "may" offer. :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

Short intro: 40 years old...

Oh, to be as young as that...   :)

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Anyway I need a game in my life to make me forget I'm married with children. I thought about doing another World of tanks line grind but have burnt out on that too. 

Takes a brave man to say it aloud. I'm in the same boat. Hope you find what you're looking for. I'm currently keeping myself entertained by PbP roleplaying until a computer game worthy of my precious spare time comes along.

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

Short intro: 40 years old and grew up on zx spectrum 48k and c64.  I switched to consoles like the mega drive in the 90s then came back to the glorious PC gaming world. 

I played mainly Counterstrike 1.6 and kingpin then fell foul of Warcraft for 8 years on and off. During that period I loved Company of  Heroes also and have enjoyed world of tanks.

Turkeys that ate my wallet dollars included AOC, Tera, Warhammer, GW2 and rift.

I played bad company 2 and bf3 a bit but got sick of the repetitve nature and have burnt out on the FPS....my age?

I have also realised I have burnt out on fantasy MMOs since I stopped playing MIsts of Pandaria...I couldn't take it anymore.

DayZ standalone and Coh opposing fronts are not out for a few months so I thought I was finished...I would have to talk to my wife.

Until my quest for the holy grail of addictive games lead me to Warthunder...a WW2 plane shooter...it has saved me for a few months.

Playing warthunder and watching the new Walking Dead series and not having to engage in conversation with my wife...well I'm as happy as a pig in one huge massive pile of stinking poo.

Ahh, you finally hit the point of MMO burnout. There is only one answer left for you. EVE online. As it provides depth,non fantasy, endless character development, intrigue,espionage,pirating, wars, comaderie, alliances and you really feel part of the Universe.

WOW causes cancer.. EVE is the CURE! http://www.eveonline.com/

Also coming out this year is Wildstar. Which is something you may look into.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by heocat
    53 myself seen em all wishing for DAOC II but not waiting. I play 2 that are not standard; EVE online I keep going back to it always good sandbox. Pirates of the burning sea since $OE got away from it. Its being redone from the bottom up by three of the first makers. Alot of people are slowely coming back. It has a very low pop right now I would recomend EU server. Easy to level up different type of PVP.

I have to check out the new PotBS then. Thanks for the info!

Great thread, btw. Warthunder is something else to add to my To Do list.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294

SWG pre cu.

It's still possible to play, do a google search. :-)

• VeldarelVeldarel Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the same boat and most of us are probably. I don't know where I'm floating into. Eve probably. PoBS I gotta give it a try when time is right.
  • HowryHowry Member UncommonPosts: 116

I kind of feel the same way about the games. Kind of at that in between point. I started playing Vanguard again and its pretty fun.  Kind of gives the old Everquest feel but with cool crafting and Diplomacy.  Might be worth a try since its its free to play.(Limited of course)