Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you think PC's will get into the whole Kenect, Move, Wimote, motion sensored market?

DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371

I've been kinda wondering if manufactuers have, or thought about creating a motion sensor device for pc gaming, well since all consoles have gone that rout now.

Are they making any motion sensoring devices or should PC's be left without it. What do ya think?

Comments

• FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by Dzone

I've been kinda wondering if manufactuers have, or thought about creating a motion sensor device for pc gaming, well since all consoles have gone that rout now.

Are they making any motion sensoring devices or should PC's be left without it. What do ya think?

Razer has a device out called the Hydra so yeah manufacturers are looking into the possibility. However I don't think such gimmicks are very well received by the majority of gamers, so such devices will probably just become another footnote in history like the Nintendo Power Glove.

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

• KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231

PC's may go with the kinect route as an added peripheral which will only be temporary, but the main device it is going to support is the VR Headset, the oculus rift. http://www.oculusvr.com/

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Sure it will, the pron industry is the largest PC industry in the world and it will re-invent the genre!

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

I can't see how it would be practical

PC seems to be taking the VR route tho and skipping the motion sensor tech 

IMO VR for PCs makes more sense and are more practical than using motion sensor while being 20 cm away from the monitor...

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    Originally posted by Saryhl

PC's may go with the kinect route as an added peripheral which will only be temporary, but the main device it is going to support is the VR Headset, the oculus rift. http://www.oculusvr.com/

Hmmm.

I remember when they tried to make the VR thing work in the 90's. Everyone thought it was going to catch on then too.

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Only as much as it enhances games and I really don't see myself gesticulating wildly infront of my pc. Touching my screen annoys me as it just leaves smudges all over the place and i will never encourage my kids to touch and screen that I own with their mucky paws. I do, however, see head and eye tracking possibly having an application. Hands, not so much.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

Originally posted by jdnewell
    Originally posted by Saryhl

Hmmm.

I remember when they tried to make the VR thing work in the 90's. Everyone thought it was going to catch on then too.

I think everyone agrees that since the 90's technology has taken a big leap

However, TRUE VR will never be possible without neural implications, and that is still a bit on the future side

"It has potential"
    "It sucks"

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    I remember those old VR games they had in the mall. For some reason the graphics on them were 5 years behind by 90's standards. I'd really like to play some Mortal with a VR helmet though.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• KalmarthKalmarth Member Posts: 443

You can already play most any game you want with a Kinect just a simple program that you can map your moves to keys and your good to go, I've seen it with WoW and a few other games, but its just not as responsive as a mouse and keyboard, you would get slaughtered in any FPS and its a pain to play RTS with a kinect, there is also footage of people using the Wiimote on games as well, not 100% if its fake or not.

Just cant see it happening anytime soon, perhaps a mouse/keyboard hybrid?

Kinect playing WoW http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62wj8eJ0FHw

Wiimote and PC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpVkq05MEaY

As I said not overly impressed by either.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

I voted yes because it's already possible but I surely hope it stays a nitche and never hits the main stream. It's nothing but a gimmick on the consoles and adds absolutely nothing to game play.

Edit: I should have read the question better... My bad. No, it should never intentionally go that way. I answered the thread title and not the question in the thread. image

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• TeiloTeilo Member Posts: 284

I think touchscreen on desktop/laptop is a passing fad, Kinect-style movement-sensor tech will replace it pretty soon.

I've been building touch-screen interfaces for public kiosks for almost 20 years, those are about the only meaningful use for touchscreens on stuff bigger than tablets, and I wouldn't have a touchscreen on my own PC. I tried a 21" (CRT) touchscreen on my work-PC for a day or two about a decade back, it was stupid, pointless and awkward, and left nasty smears on the screen - I don't know why microsoft want us to move towards that.

I love my iPad, but touchscreen PCs...no thanks.

The Kinect works pretty well, hopefully the next-gen systems will have better fidelity - I can easily see these systems taking the place of web-cams on high-end laptops, letting people swish their Win8 tiles around with a flick of the wrist instead of having to stretch out and touch the screen itself.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    I play my RPGs to relax and already workout every day don't need a motion sensor on my PC, not to mention PC RPGs are dead and gone until we start demanding them back.
  • ThrennieThrennie Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Or check out the leap motion controller that tracks hand movements similar to the kinect, using gestures to control games. https://www.leapmotion.com/
  • JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347
    These consoul motion sensor devices also work on computers.. just pc games are not being made for them. which is fine they feel like a novelty to me.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281
    I can only see it happening if/ when it becomes a workable alternative to a mouse/ touch screen and can be used for all applications, not just gaming.  Until then I think the pc market isn't likely to be particularly receptive to dancing around their living room like a twat.  

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

Originally posted by Thorbrand
    I play my RPGs to relax and already workout every day don't need a motion sensor on my PC, not to mention PC RPGs are dead and gone until we start demanding them back.

Dead and gone?

What happened to TES, Fallout, Bioshock, borderlands, deus ex etc...

If by PC rpg you mean rpgs developed with pc in mind there still are the witcher 3 and cyberpunk 2077

"It has potential"
    "It sucks"

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

The razer hydra would be so much better if they only came with a better configurator.  

As it stands, its just as easy to configure the glovepie to work with a wiimote as it is to configure the razer hydra. 

Edit : 

Leap motion is completely different from the kinnect. it uses sensors from the bottom pointing up (or vice versa) to track movement.  The area for the leap motion is pretty small and its more of an "on your desk in front of the monitor" kind of thing unlike kinnects "large area in front of the tv".

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Will there be games that use a motion sensor for PCs?  Probably.  Will it ever become widespread that many games require a motion sensor?  I doubt it.  Motion sensors are far too imprecise for many purposes.  Early generation motion sensors also had awful input lag; I'm not sure how easy that is to correct by throwing more powerful hardware at it.  If Moore's Law scaling readily fixes it, we'll have good motion sensors soon.  If it's a problem that it's only practical to make an accelerometer so precise, then a fix may not be forthcoming.

-----

Stereoscopic 3D has been around since the 1950s.  It's gotten dramatically better many times since then, but still isn't good enough to be used widely.  It's unlikely to catch for games until after it catches on for television, as it's dramatically easier to implement it properly for a pre-recorded video than rendering things live.

There's a good chance that it will catch on for television eventually, but that could easily be years or decades--or centuries--away.  Once it looks as good and as natural as real life and is cheap to do, it makes a ton of sense to use it.  But how close does it have to be before most people will accept it as good enough for wide use rather than an occasional gimmick?  Probably a lot closer than its enthusiasts hope and think.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Honestly, I see voice recognition coming into more widespread use in the PC realm than motion capture/gestures. It's been around for a while, and tried a few times with mixed results, but just hasn't been used widespread yet (except for things like Microsoft Sync and Siri, where your forced to use them handsfree), but I think that could greatly augment physical input if used in conjunction. Think about how many clans/guilds/etc require Teamspeak/Ventrilo/Mumble for communication, and how, if done right, that same level of communication could be used to control your own actions as well (without replacing).

If it works to augment, not replace, the traditional input devices, I'm all for whatever they want to add. But if they intend to try to completely duplicate and/or replace them would be a mistake; even a Minority Report-style interface couldn't completely replace the Keyboard/Mouse at this point based on our existing traditional user interfaces.

New input methods, to completely replace our existing input methods, would have to come along with new user interfaces designed for use with them. What we have now is too tied to 88-keys and 2 mouse buttons with a pointer.

Not saying that Metro touch is the way to go, but MS is right in that you can't replace the keyboard/mouse without overhauling the interface as well. Problem is, I don't think the keyboard/mouse need replacing. I would like to see devices come in and augment them, and provide additional usability without trying to completely replace them.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Dzone

We are already seeing devs start to do stuff like that using webcams.

Check out SOEmote for an example of where some devs are headed with it.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KalmarthKalmarth Member Posts: 443

I think this would be the way to go http://techland.time.com/2013/02/22/finally-tattoos-that-let-you-control-objects-with-your-mind/ mind control for your games, no more controlers just your mind vs the game.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I dont have connect or whatever it is for my xbox.  I am so not interested in this type of teck, especially on my desktop. 

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Nope. I think people realize motion controls are far from perfect and they do more to distance users from gameplay then they do to make them feel 'attached' I have a feeling when it comes to it, VR will be where we go in the future. Its hard to tell just when it will happen but I think people realize that swinging a remote around or doing funny gestures that sometimes work isn't going to ever live up to waht we really want, the feeling we are actually IN the game. I see augmented reality being a good step in that direction.

How long it takes and just how good it turns out is something that we might discover with time. I just doubt motion control will ever take part in PC, if it 'happens' its going to be through much more advance ways then what we have available for us today.