Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF EverQuest that's not EverQuest

ChemcalChemcal Member Posts: 32

Looking for a new MMO, something I can zone out on for a few hours a night and maybe jam out on all weekend. I loved EQ and on P99, but... it's not the same. So I'm hoping there is some game out there with a very strong population that really focuses on character development. Preferably something that isn't older than 3 years, and has a free trial. 

Thanks ;D

Comments

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    • LOTRO
    • WoW
    • Rift
    • GW2
  • dauntSilverdauntSilver Member Posts: 146
    such a game does not exist. nothing will bring you back to the golden ages of EQ man, the search has already been done by me and everyone else who got hooked on Evercrack. and even now going back to EQ, there is still a crapload of content to explore, but no one goes to the majority of the zones anymore because its pointless. you get extra exp for leveling up in newer zones, all the old ones are ghost zones. definitely not the same game anymore.. but anyway, im waiting on elder scrolls online to come out. then EQ Next, which wont be for another year or so. til then, try to have fun in one of the popular mmo's like Rift, GW2, etc. or if you are into FPS, try out Planetside 2. or who knows, you might be an Eve guy.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Project 99 is the closest to EQ without being EQ you will get.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I'd say Vanguard is the closest thing to a spiritual successor that EQ has.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    LOTRO is probably the closest out of the active games, but its not close at all
  • sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Not much out there, i would say vanguard is the closest out atm, im hopeing on EQNext to bring back some of the good things EQ had and that are now forgotten.
  • ChemcalChemcal Member Posts: 32
    Thanks for your input guys, I guess it's just a wait and see what the future brings. 
  • SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    LOTRO is probably the closest out of the active games, but its not close at all

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Chemcal
    Thanks for your input guys, I guess it's just a wait and see what the future brings. 

Vanguard is a true successor to EQ, it was made by exEQ1 devs and it shows.

except where EQ succeeded in adding character customization Vanguard lacks in bigtime.  Sadly a game so big, with so many good things in it, this is where Vanguard failed.  Not one decision you can make sets your char apart from every other char playing the same class.  You get to make no decisions on building your char.  Gear is all that matters

They tried with diplomacy some, but that is a side game as well

If VG had an EQ AA system I would still be playing it

• TorkazTorkaz Member UncommonPosts: 92

Everquest thats not everquest.  Everquest 2?

Wait till EQ Next comes out, will be awesome I imagine

• ChemcalChemcal Member Posts: 32

I could have gone into this more I guess. I want that exploration, and massive character development like EQ, but not P99 or EQ. 

EQ live isn't the same game at all and P99, while it's neat to reminisce, I just can't... Full time job now, and I've done most all of it before. The exploration feel is gone knowing where everything is. 

• DoctorhooDoctorhoo Member UncommonPosts: 235

EQ Next is in the Works but it might be awhile.

Vanguard would be best spiritual successor to EQ out there imo and with its new F2P model, it would be a shoe in for you to at least check it out.