Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats your main reason for playing a MMO game?

RhinotonesRhinotones Member UncommonPosts: 250

In these forums many people talk about things they enjoy in a MMO that they are playing so I thought it would be interesting to see what results we would see in a poll. 

Cheers,

Rhino.

Comments

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797

I voted "alternate reality" because that most closely entails all that I want. But many of the other options are part of that.

Basically, I want the fantasy of a world that's "magical", and I want depth in a worldly sense. "Living" in a fantasy world, but not just living, I want excitement, lore, and that feeling of ancient danger and mystery. 

Once upon a time....

• RhinotonesRhinotones Member UncommonPosts: 250
    Originally posted by Amaranthar

I voted "alternate reality" because that most closely entails all that I want. But many of the other options are part of that.

Basically, I want the fantasy of a world that's "magical", and I want depth in a worldly sense. "Living" in a fantasy world, but not just living, I want excitement, lore, and that feeling of ancient danger and mystery. 

Great answer Amaranthar! I can see how many of the other options would be included in that.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Community interaction

Depth of content, objectives, options

Character progression/development

Exploring

there are others but these are some of the main ones.

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782

Yes I agree with this. It's exactly why I play MMOs. However, I have not found the mmo I would consider to be the "one".

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    I voted for Community but it's really a mix of Community and Crafting. I started MMOs by playing as a Dedicated Crafter and that opened to doors for me to interact a lot with communities, but since crafting is not as much important in MMOs today, it's the communities that have kept me playing.
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    Originally posted by Brabbit1987

Yes I agree with this. It's exactly why I play MMOs. However, I have not found the mmo I would consider to be the "one".

Neither have I. UO came the closest way back in the early days, but I always considered it a very raw beginning loaded with social problems. But the right idea at it's core.

I haven't played an MMO in over 2 years now. Some of the stuff under construction might draw me in, but I don't really see the true Sandbox base that's needed for this.

Once upon a time....

I'll just add that I chose, "Depth of content, objectives, options" If there's well thought out contect and a great choice of options available then I'm very happy.

• RossbossRossboss Member Posts: 240
    I'm personally the guy who likes to figure out everything about classes. It's fun learning about how things work in video games in general. I play for character progression, I spare no class and leave no skill unturned. I also love to make a persona for my characters whether or not others know that I am doing so.

I played WoW up until WotLK, played RoM for 2 years and now Rift.
    I am F2P player. I support games when I feel they deserve my money and I want the items enough.
    I don't troll, and I don't take kindly to trolls.

Originally posted by Rossboss
    I'm personally the guy who likes to figure out everything about classes. It's fun learning about how things work in video games in general. I play for character progression, I spare no class and leave no skill unturned. I also love to make a persona for my characters whether or not others know that I am doing so.

I envy your style as I only had patience to havdle a couple of characters. It was usually too time consuming for me to attempt to master every class.

• dgarbinidgarbini Member Posts: 185
    RipperX would be my reason.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Afraid this isn't appropriate to the "choose one" polling method.

I'd pick at least six, and maybe all of them.

Would be a nice 1-10 scale poll, if this website offered that option.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281
    Originally posted by rojo6934

Community interaction

Depth of content, objectives, options

Exploring

there are others but these are some of the main ones.

^ pretty much what I was going to say.  

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500

Obtaining awesome rewards

Feels like you're in an alternate reality

Community interaction

Exploring

After those 10 years of playing mmorpg I became addiced to having imaginatory copy of myself in fantasy world. I am not doing it because I am somehow not satisfied with myself in real life, quite the opposite. But its maybe because I enjoy these times spent ingame more than time spent doing IRL things and I LOVE Fantasy :)

• VindicarVindicar Member UncommonPosts: 138
    I love MMOs for all the reasons you mentions, and more... where do I click ?

Old school french hardcore whiner. Online since T4C.

I was "Namless" and "Daroot" in AO (Rk2)
    Been known as "Vindicar" (Aion (EU), SWTOR (EU), WoW (EU).
    Recently  Known as "Wundicar" and "Wundee" in Age of Wushu (US) and Wulin (EU)

Franky Rivera Reyes , From the Reyes Brotherhood (Star Citizen)

Originally posted by Icewhite

Afraid this isn't appropriate to the "choose one" polling method.

I'd pick at least six, and maybe all of them.

Would be a nice 1-10 scale poll, if this website offered that option.

Yes Icewhite a scale system would have been ideal so my idea here was to try to make us think about the most appealing  aspect and choose.  Most options I'd imagine would appeal to many of us.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Rhinotones
    Yes Icewhite a scale system would have been ideal so my idea here was to try to make us think about the most appealing  aspect and choose.  Most options I'd imagine would appeal to many of us.

Ok, then divide "community interaction" as many ways as you divided "character development". :shrug:

If you're getting the impression that I don't think much of mmorpg.com's polling system, you just might be right.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

same.

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371
    I voted for the community. Kinda strange IRL i dont talk to strangers, but always can make friends in MMO's. Never have much trouble typing seems like ^^ Would be a very lonely world for me without MMO's.
  • SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    You forgot the most important reason for playing ANY game...FUN, remember that?

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

Originally posted by Slampig
    You forgot the most important reason for playing ANY game...FUN, remember that?

Fun goes without saying when playing a game but you can select other if you wish. Almost all play MMO's for fun but there's  aspects of the game that makes it fun. This poll is to see what mechanics within a game that people look for to make it a fun experience.

Rhino.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

Several of the listed options and a couple that aren't on the list.  I got into MMOs for a couple reasons.  One, for the fun of it and two, because the game almost always is a different experience from day to day.

Then there are the community, exploration, etc.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Well... It used to be that I enjoyed the server wide communities that MMOs had but that has pretty much died in the post-WoW era so I don't find myself playing MMOs much anymore. Now you hardly talk to anyone except people you know or people in whatever guild you happen to belong to. Even in Guilds these days about 2/3rds of the guild never speak in most games. I remember in EQ talking to almost everyone I met along the way. Now if you talk to some random player you'll be extremely lucky to get a response at all. Community used to be why I played but the communities that these games used to encourage have all but died off years ago. It's kinda sad really.

Edit: Community interaction is really the only thing on your poll that is better suited to the MMO genre. Well... that and Raiding which I loath. Everything else is done much better in single player or limited multi-player games and always will be.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• Chief021Chief021 Member Posts: 107

Entertainment that involves other individuals from all over the world collectively coming together to achieve goals in a game... I like games.

A PS4 ESO guild accepting applications at http://lowlyknights.enjin.com

• MdpatsMdpats Member UncommonPosts: 176
    I voted Character Progression and Development.  I guess mainly because seeing what I've created and perfecting it is an obsession of mine and there's always ways to make improvements.  I look at is as a challenge and I can do it to my liking.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    I play mostly for the multiplayer aspect but not the community interaction. I play with a group of friends. That's the main reason I play because I wouldn't play these games solo. I enjoy the character progression and the raiding/content and the worlds in general but " play with friends " would of been my vote.