Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Wayback Machine to the Future

2»

Comments

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720
    Everytime there is a discussion about what ip people want to be made into an mmo, there are always many people who suggest The Wheel of Time, and Firefly..... So I will do it once more

+1 for T.W.O.T
    +1 for Firefly

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    I vote for a real phantasy star mmo , all of the original phantasy star games were the best RPGs I have ever played, and generations of doom, when you can get married and have a child later that child is your main character was awesome! Not talking about PSO but something in the lines with a futuristic setting and able to travel to distant words. Those in my opinion were the best RPGs because the story and characters/monsters were so well done.
  • TheAncientTheAncient Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by craftseeker
    A game set in Larry Niven's Ring World would be kind of nice.

Absolutely.

For those who havent read Nivens books, Ringworld inspired the Halo ring construction but the stories tell of a much larger and more varied universe, with definite MMORPG friendly elements.

The Discworld and Blade Runner ideas are great also.

How about Julian May's Galactic Milieu series for another self contained universe with plenty to offer the MMORPG gaming world.

Edit: I see Sugoi-chan has already put this idea forward. Nice one. :)

• krantkrant Member Posts: 7

I'm a tabletop gamer from waay back, and I'd love to see some of those old RPGs done as MMOs, stuff like Runequest, the Morrow Project, Gamma World, Space 1889.

The GURPS Fantasy world, or better yet a cross dimensional campaign containing all of the worlds that SJG actually developed for GURPS would be amazing.

I agree that traveller could make a really good MMO as well, the tabletop game had issues, but the world building they did was amazing.

• palageuspalageus Member Posts: 3

MajorMud

Enough Said

• TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311

for a long time PnP D+D player.. DDO was a great disappiontment(my second MMO)..and I loved the Eberron setting.

D+D settings .. perhaps the Darksun setting.. with conflict between the city states being a big part of the end game.

A rehash of Star Wars, Galactic civil war, (SWG was my first MMO) but not SWG II, great concept poorly executed

Warhammer 40k , if  it came out big and had a well thought out end/meta game it could be great.

The sads thing about a thread like this is it shows how bad the industry is catering to their core audience.

• palageuspalageus Member Posts: 3

MajorMud

Enough Said

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Black Company
  • KwanseiKwansei Member UncommonPosts: 334

Watership Down RPG?  Played it!

It even had a GURPSification.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunnies_%26_Burrows

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    1) Game of Thrones, a AAA title not the browser garbage in the works atm. 2) A Princess of Mars (John Carter) no idea how it would work but I'd be there none-the-less. 3) Riverworld

Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704
    Sword of truth woud make a good mmo IMO

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• victorbjrvictorbjr Member UncommonPosts: 212

Shannara? hmm... Dean Koontz' universe for ODd Thomas?

um... the world of Ender's game post-alien war?

A writer and gamer from the Philippines. Loves his mom dearly. :)

Can also be found on http://www.gamesandgeekery.com

• necrosteinnecrostein Member UncommonPosts: 80

Julian May's pliocene exile novels.

two factions, multiple races, great setting.

very very adaptable.

• spelunk68spelunk68 Member Posts: 2

Swan Song by Robert  McCammon, one of my favorite reads of all time. It would make an incredible movie, and, I never really thought about it but would be a great post apocalyptic story based mmo. Here is just a small excerpt of the story from wiki (if you are looking for an engaging read you can not put down, pick this book up)....

In New York City, Sister Creep begins to walk around the remains of a New York ravaged by radioactive thunderstorms and tornadoes. While walking around, she finds a glass ring with jewels encased in the glass. Seeing it, she picks it up, believing it is important. She is surprised to see an undamaged building. Entering, she meets "The Man With The Scarlet Eye". She runs away and the building collapses. Sister is soon met by other survivors. They make their way through the hazardous Holland tunnel, eventually scrabbling their way to New Jersey.

In Blue Dome Mountain, Roland awakens in the cafeteria and is unable to find his mother and father. He is then picked up by one of Macklin's men who leads Roland to Macklin. Macklin is at the bottom of a deep hole. Roland, with a butcher knife and lighter, begins to climb down to Macklin and finds that his arm is stuck in a wall. He is forced to amputate the arm and cauterize it with a smoldering portion of desk found in the room. After Macklin's rescue, the pair must figure out how to break through the area where the food is stored. They find that the entrance to the food stores is blocked by rubble. Macklin oversees as the survivors remove the rubble, which soon collapses on top of the laborers. Simultaneously, Roland is searching through the cafeteria for scraps of food. He is then challenged by one of Colonel Macklin's former men, Schorr. Schorr has gone insane and taken up arms against Macklin, who he believes knew that this would happen and should have prevented it by ensuring the quality of the fallout shelter. Roland slices Schorr's left cheek and murders his two followers.

In Kansas, Swan's mother dies, as does PawPaw. Josh discovers a gopher hole and starts to dig their way out. He notices that there was grass growing where Swan slept. He starts to realize that she has special powers.

• DrevarDrevar Member UncommonPosts: 177
    I would love to see a game based on Lin Carter's World's End series.  A more modern IP would be Raymond Feist's worlds of Midkemia/Kelewan.  Also the visualization of the puns in Pier's Anthony's Xanth series would be hilarious.

"If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it."
    -Luke McKinney, The 7 Biggest Dick Moves in the History of Online Gaming

"In the end, SWG may have been more potential and promise than fulfilled expectation. But I'd rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."
    -Raph Koster

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

Honestly I dread for a mmorpg with its own story of the world. I am sick of world of games and similar. I understand that a name alone sells, but it also limits a game so much. Guess its taste, but I generally dislike games based on movies or books, I feel that games like that are raping the story as I experienced it.

But if I had to pick, something with a story of time/dimension travelling of some sort that leaves open a free interpretation. Or perhaps L.E. Modesitt Jr. s Recluse saga with order vs chaos but without the notion of evil and good, could be open to enterpretation without messing with the books. Hmm there is also an interesting book I forgot its name, it takes its story to the insect world and its told from the view of an ant.. that could be a fun mmorpg with a huge perspective, insect miniature world where everyone are insects.