Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most Annoying Feature Trend

WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

yeah Im kind of a cynic.

But it's hard not to be, Im that old guy who has seen " the good old days" only to watch all you kids with your Rock n' Roll H tracks and your Facy Space take over everything.

It has been tough watching the genre that I loved get mainstreamed and  just be ruined almost entirely. But my synisism aside,

What as been the most annoying MMO trend in your opinion?

[EDIT]  Ment to add more to that poll, but hit enter on accident, now it wont let me add more... oh well. time for bed.

-  Insta Porting

-  Dungeon Finders

-  Instancing

was what I meant to add....

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

Comments

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

I didn't vote because I feel like the list could have been more inclusive to other trends as well.  But I will touch base about one, in particular.  No holy trinity.  The joy of the trinity is that it defines a group role and creates a team atmosphere to playing with others.  Without it you lose much of that feeling, the joy of working together and doing something well.  Given that this is a core element to the health and success of the genre, I don't see why we have all cast it aside saying that we hate it.  We didn't hate it.  What we hated was the burden of it outside the group.  This is an area where WoW has shined...mostly.  They have a trinity, and also allowed for function outside the group.  Older games were murderously restrictive in that sense.  A tank was not out soloing things, happy as a lark.  Even if they COULD..the process was tedious at best.  Healers without some kind of tank or DD could do nothing but stand around in town in many games. 

Taking away from function and role in a group setting does not make a MMO game better.  It makes it a hack and slash, and we have enough of those.  MMO space was always about team play, much in the same vein that TF2 is.  Without the Medic and Heavy the game is just call of duty.  Which is fun.  But thats not why people are playing it.  Thats why they are playing CoD.  A game has to be distinctive because being LIKE something is a terrible thing to be.  You should strive to be something new, or something better.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

:/  Is it just me or is the OP targetting GW2?  All his recommended 'most annoying features' are in GW2 in particular.  Some of them aren't even really trends.  For instance, do a lot of mmo's really have instant travel or no holy trinity?

Anyways...  I think the most glaringly obvious annoying trend is mmo 'questing'.  You know, the kill 10 rats questing that we have endured for the last 15 years.  Totally out of hand.  I am not a fan of linear quests either, but at least they can sometimes be interesting, as opposed to the questing seen in most mmos today.  IMHO it was wow that really is at fault, although games before it had mundane quests, wow was the first to focus so heavily on it and had delivery quests made particularly to shift players from area to area and 'hubs' with so many mundane quests that you never ran out.  This all would be fine if the quests were more interesting.

Instancing is bad too.  It was the wrong solution to the very real problem of spawn camping.  Loot sharing, dynamic spawn rates, and weighted difficulty are all much better solutions to the problem of spawn camping that instances were first created to fix.  Alas we are stuck with it now...  It has become so ingrained in mmos that I think players would be confused without it.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by WellzyC

yeah Im kind of a cynic.

But it's hard not to be, Im that old guy who has seen " the good old days" only to watch all you kids with your Rock n' Roll H tracks and your Facy Space take over everything.

It has been tough watching the genre that I loved get mainstreamed and  just be ruined almost entirely. But my synisism aside,

[EDIT]  Ment to add more to that poll, but hit enter on accident, now it wont let me add more... oh well. time for bed.

-  Insta Porting

-  Dungeon Finders

-  Instancing

Should of also included OTHER as well, thats what I would of voted.

Not a huge fan of instancing but everything else on your list I love and a few of them are what I consider a must of to be successful (Dungeon Finders, its caused me to quit the last 3 MMO's).

My most annoying trend is linearity.  I hate being led down a path from creation to level cap.  I love me some freedom, thank god several MMO's are coming out in the future to include freedom.  Neverwinter with its Foundry system and ESO with its exploration centric Elder Scrolls style open world.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    F2P is the most annoying trend.. Please add that to your poll.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

1.cutt scenes & voice acting  ; waste of time & resources for any MMO's

2 (for mmorpg games ).transforming rpg gameplay in to action/shooter  gameplay

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311
    The "my genre has been ruined" hipsters. Definitely the most annoying trend.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438

Interactive maps and minimaps with a ton of information on them (quest markers, points of interest, dynamic quests etc). I want to look at the game world, not at your maps all the time. Stop distracting me and breaking my immersion!

Also stop revealing everything on the map the moment I step into a new zone/territory. I want to explore myself, not follow the marks on the map you already explored for me.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

everything that gw2 did is the most annoying trend, that includes dumbing down holy trinity.

Hope it does not spread around like a disease

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281

The following: 

1) Cut scenes/ voice acting (waste of resources as said above). 

2) Dungeon finder or any other feature that turns a single town into a hub while you wait for your game to pop.  

3) Over abundance of way-points.  Again the game may as well be entirely instanced is you can just jump around the map on a whim. 

4) Being the hero.  It is just absurd in an mmo. 

5) A lack of defined roles (not necessarily the trinity).  But I don't think this is a trend.  

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464

Good ol days to me is Ultima, and it had porting, something I wish more games have. Mages should be able to inscribe tomes for points in the world freely.

Dungeon finders take away from the community and leave all the room in chat for trolling (actually flamers cuz most trolling isn't good natured) and takes away from community and leads to people caring less about their reputation in the world.

Lack of trinity sucks, only place GW2 failed imo. All you need is the ability to to use classes for different purposes to give variety and customization. MORE combat classes in mmos would be better too.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

+1

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by WellzyC

yeah Im kind of a cynic.

-  Insta Porting

-  Dungeon Finders

-  Instancing

for me it's forum negativity and people not trying to see the good in games.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Scarfe

4) Being the hero.  It is just absurd in an mmo. 

In story-driven, level-based, class-restricted MMOs it definitely is absurd.

In a game like UO, ATITD, or EVE, it's not only very within the realm of possibility, but relatively achievable and unique to each player.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817
    Originally posted by boxsnd

Interactive maps and minimaps with a ton of information on them (quest markers, points of interest, dynamic quests etc). I want to look at the game world, not at your maps all the time. Stop distracting me and breaking my immersion!

Also stop revealing everything on the map the moment I step into a new zone/territory. I want to explore myself, not follow the marks on the map you already explored for me.

This ^^^

I would like a really nice way to add markers and points of interest to the map. Having a map with my own personal notes would be tons better then a whole map filled with revealed ... everything. BTW, you can turn off all the map locations in GW2, makes the game very interesting this way.

Lolipops !

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

I didn't see catering to an all inclusive casual crowd that doesn't really exsist.

My guess is this mystical beast was the product of incomplete surveys.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    The holy trinity.
  • BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    End-game.
  • PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

I don't know about you.. but imho this genre has turned into a mass produced corporate garbage..

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

- Instances

-instant porting

My two most annoying things in games nowadays

• allendale5allendale5 Member Posts: 124

I vote that riskiness has been all but eliminated by today's MMO's.  There is no risk in anything. You die, you come right back without penalty.  You get lost, you port out (without penalty).  You can't kill a boss: tag onto a group for the kill and port out.  Thotbot everything.  Don't have time to log in and play? well now you can level off-line.  Can't find the that NPC? just follow the dotted line, you dork muffin.  Can't decide which response to give to an NPC when you have to choose: well they all lead to the exact same outcome now. 

I want risk. I want consequences. I want immersion.  I want theater.  I want persistent changes based on my actions.  I want the looming possibility of failure.  

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

^

• MaroxadMaroxad Member Posts: 28

Not a feature per say... but rather a form of mentality.

That mentality being that you MUST have features X, Y and Z in your game or else it will fail. There is no magic bacon that works great with anything in the mmo genre. Think of what would benefit the game the most, as opposed to what is the "standard" in the industustry.

Ok some things I can see as standard, such as basic communication features such as guilds, friends lists and ignore lists.

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by Agent_Joseph

2 (for mmorpg games ).transforming rpg gameplay in to action/shooter  gameplay

100% this one. Screw character development, meaningful crafting, self-allocation of stat/skill points, throw away permanent choices you'd make, screw player roles. I'm told to play some jack-of-all-trades who can do some damage, heal a bit, tank a bit if some mob gets angry at me out of the blue (as aggro tables are so 2005ish). I'm told to use 10 skills, 5 being passive. I know if i'm good or not if i can: "aim well", "manually dodge" and "combo" with others. Bleh.

• TheHellBoyTheHellBoy Member Posts: 1
    A feature that bothers me the most is quest tracker that allows youto click on the quest objective and it auto runs you to it. It takes away any need to read the quest, learn your surroundings or socialize in anyway.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Just curious here... Did you play MMOs "in the olden times?"

If so, did you enjoy them?

If not, why not?

I enjoyed playing MMOs "way back when." Some of the newer ones are OK, but they are very different games now. Do you agree?

There was an article written by a MMORPG.com columnist titled "You Got Your CCG in My MMO". For me, it is "You got your ARPG/FPS/Single Player game in my MMORPG."

Does that make me an almost 50 year old hipster? I doubt it. I always thought hipsters were the ones first on the "advancement" bandwagons. I would call myself a "get off my genre!" kind of cranky old fart.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR