Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] The War Z: A Painfully Executed Parody of a Survival Game

Comments

• AirRhinoAirRhino Member Posts: 1

So funny to watch all the DAYZ fanboys rage.   Dont worry the Arma 3 team is throwing Rocket more devs and money, along with a engine and a support team.  But don't worry it's getting released 2012......  Oh wait  nvm it got delayed because people where raging at him, and Arma 3 Team keeps giving him more and more resources.....

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,814

Man, a game this bad makes me want to try it :)

Does it cost money? If so, forget it.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• KyBoKyBo Member UncommonPosts: 140

The problem with this thread is that War Z is being taken as a serious game in the first place.  It isn't.  I feel pity for the people that were suckered into buying it, but that doesn't change the fact that this "game" was a hastily cobbled together con-job meant to capitalize on Day Z's popularity.  There is no way that a game company with any concern for their reputation, or any kind of QA system whatsoever, would drop such a kick-in-the-nuts of a product on the market.

Hammerpoint put just enough effort into this Cleveland Steamer to make it appear as though there was a presentable product here, and then listed all the features they thought people would want to draw hype and get pre-orders.  You will never see most of what was promised.  Go read the interview that (now defunct) Gamespy had with one of the "developers."  http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-war-z/1226980p1.html

For those who bought WarZ and are now trying to defend it: You got duped, it's OK to admit it.  It happens with games, though usually not to this extent.  Don't make yourself look like a complete assclown by trying to legitimize an obvious ripoff simply because you fell prey to it.  Steam did the right thing by customers when they offered a full refund for the WarZ, but they still need to put guidelines into place to keep this from happening again. 

• HealthyGamerHealthyGamer Member Posts: 25
    Finally a MMORPG.com review that's not a score of 5,6,7 or 8.  I am impressed!  More of these please.
  • TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468
    once upon a time i was critical of the revews around here dunno what changed but i appreciate the honesty and your right this game is a rip off, thank you for telling it like it is  in your review :)
  • AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Both War Z and DayZ are overrun with hackers. In short, they are hackers' sandboxes with a modest zombie theme. The devs in both games lack the skills to design, develop, and deliver a hack-free game. Instead of buying either game, buy a bag of dog poop, because at least you would have a dirty bag and that's more value than these disasters.
  • AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    I find it funny that when a POS game like this gets reviewed ( 100% agree with this review btw ) we have people here, in general, that instead of blaming the company for ripping tons of people off , mmorpg gets slapped , insulted , and blamed. I think it's high time that a game like this got this type of harsh review, because its true, 100% of what the op said, and I for one will support this review because it prevents to some extent , of people paying their hard earned cash for this god awful game, and I applaud that, to the rest of you who go out of your way to defend , insult the staff at mmorpg and the other members of this site because we are trying to help people realize that this is indeed a rip off to the highest extent, need to leave and go somewhere else!

I've been coming here when this site launched, and I will agree with what Bill said ( you are a great writer Bill by the way ) but I will say that one thing I don't agree with is Bills score it would have been a 4 that's way to high and personally hammerpoint should be charged with fraud ( I've majored in law ) and held accountable for false advertisement and refusing to refund those poor people who bought into this POS. so in closing, I applaud you mmorpg and to the OP, extremely well done on your part sir, you might have saved afew people from making a terrible mistake.
  • znaiikaznaiika Member Posts: 203

So, you people decide to flame warz because of dayz?

Get older, it's better to play already stand alone warz then hoping for promised dayz to be stand alone, how long are you ready to wait for that promise? 1, 2, 3 maybe more years?

Don't be jealous, just ejoy warz till dayz is going to be stand alone game, then you can all switch to whatever please's you..

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by znaiika

Get older, it's better to play already stand alone warz then hoping for promised dayz to be stand alone, how long are you ready to wait for that promise? 1, 2, 3 maybe more years?

Don't be jealous, just ejoy warz till dayz is going to be stand alone game, then you can all switch to whatever please's you..

It's not possible to enjoy WarZ because it's gameplay is sloppier than a burrito with both ends open. I still can't figure out why people defend this travesty. And honestly, DayZ as a mod plays better than WarZ as a standalone. And DayZ is still a mess.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    I wonder why every year we getting much more and more crap games when gamers support every shit out there...
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Aeolron
    I find it funny that when a POS game like this gets reviewed ( 100% agree with this review btw ) we have people here, in general, that instead of blaming the company for ripping tons of people off , mmorpg gets slapped , insulted , and blamed. I think it's high time that a game like this got this type of harsh review, because its true, 100% of what the op said, and I for one will support this review because it prevents to some extent , of people paying their hard earned cash for this god awful game, and I applaud that, to the rest of you who go out of your way to defend , insult the staff at mmorpg and the other members of this site because we are trying to help people realize that this is indeed a rip off to the highest extent, need to leave and go somewhere else!

I've been coming here when this site launched, and I will agree with what Bill said ( you are a great writer Bill by the way ) but I will say that one thing I don't agree with is Bills score it would have been a 4 that's way to high and personally hammerpoint should be charged with fraud ( I've majored in law ) and held accountable for false advertisement and refusing to refund those poor people who bought into this POS. so in closing, I applaud you mmorpg and to the OP, extremely well done on your part sir, you might have saved afew people from making a terrible mistake.

Looking at whats involved, this was quite predictable.  Check out the details here.

Arktos Entertainment Acquires Majority Stake in Hammerpoint Interactive

* Reuters is not responsible for the content in this press release.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:22pm EST

Arktos Entertainment Acquires Majority Stake in Hammerpoint Interactive

Arktos Entertainment Group today announced the purchase of a majority stake in developer Hammerpoint Interactive. The acquisition takes effect immediately and involves the consolidation of all development resources, including teams, intellectual property and technology, under the Hammerpoint brand and positions Arktos solely as an investment/financing entity. Sergey Titov, General Partner of Arktos Entertainment, will assume the role of General Manager of Hammerpoint.

Hammerpoint Interactive is currently in active development on three titles, including the popular, post-apocalyptic zombie MMO The War Z, which recently celebrated the launch of its Foundation Release on Steam after attracting more than 600,000 registered players, with over 150,000 playing daily, over the course of its two-month closed beta. Hammerpoint’s next title will be announced in early 2013 and is due for release in the third quarter of the same year.

“After our initial investment in Hammerpoint, we found the team was able to utilize our technology to develop in an efficient and effective manner, hitting milestones well ahead of schedule for The War Z,” said Sergey Titov, General Partner of Arktos Entertainment and now General Manager of Hammerpoint Interactive. “We made the decision soon after the launch of War Z’s Alpha to invest more into Hammerpoint and position it as our core developer of mid and hardcore games from this point forward.”

About Hammerpoint Interactive

Hammerpoint Interactive was formed in 2011 by a team of experienced developers looking to create a fresh experience in the online, multiplayer arena. Having worked with large publishers, such as Electronic Arts and Activision, as well as on multiplayer games, such as World of Tanks, the team possesses the knowledge and skill to create multiplayer games that appeal to both hardcore and mainstream gamers. The company is backed and financed by Arktos Entertainment Group.

About Arktos Entertainment Group

Arktos Entertainment Group (www.arktosentertainment.com) is a privately held Los Angeles based investment and holding company, providing investment as well as creative and production management support for companies in the interactive and online entertainment industries. Arktos Entertainment published and is operating The War Z through OP Productions, LLC, a newly created subsidiary.

VIM Global Consulting
    Alex Josef, 310-961-4843
    [email protected]

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/18/idUS170605+18-Dec-2012+BW20121218

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Originally posted by heckz0r
    The Serghei allrdy get about  2-4 Milions $$$ and now he don t care if the game is a shet or no :)))

no kidding.. War Z was a scam from the start.

• JedicowboyJedicowboy Member UncommonPosts: 140
    actually for me since the bring in of the private servers, the game has actually been quite fun
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Ok, I have to say this.

Bill has stated several times that the reviewers have absolutely NOTHING to do with the selling of ad space. The owners deal with ad space and the editors/writers deal with writing and reviewing.

He even pointed out that the owners (who sell the ad space) backed up Bill and the other writers when Earth Rise was given a poor score by this site and wanted blood because they had purchased ad space.

That says to me right there, this site had integrity. Seriously, enough already. Just because you don't agree with a review doesn't mean it was either paid for, or they refused to pay for it. Reviews are ultimately subjective opinions.

End of story.

• VindicarVindicar Member UncommonPosts: 138

perfect and clear exemple of a scam.

poeple who are still denying it should see a psychiatrist urgently.

Old school french hardcore whiner. Online since T4C.

I was "Namless" and "Daroot" in AO (Rk2)
    Been known as "Vindicar" (Aion (EU), SWTOR (EU), WoW (EU).
    Recently  Known as "Wundicar" and "Wundee" in Age of Wushu (US) and Wulin (EU)

Franky Rivera Reyes , From the Reyes Brotherhood (Star Citizen)

• trypeccjtrypeccj Member Posts: 1

UH OH A BAD GAME GOT A LOWER RATING THAN OTHER BAD GAMES

MUST BE ILLUMINATI

• JumdorJumdor Member Posts: 62

Normally I would entirely agree and think oh man a legit review. I wouldn't have bothered commenting, but does this review come off to anyone as a favor pitch? 

I mean oh man lets try to get some thumbs up from the community by slamming a game that has already been slammed to the moon and back again?  

Not that I have any vendetta against MMORPG.com because I actually come here often and have no issues with everything going on as normal. Most of the time I find it entertaining. This game however has been hammered for a long time already, and we only recently decide oh man let us throw our opinion along the flow of the crowd. 

In no way is this to maim the reputation of this community nor the staff of MMORPG.com it is simply an opinion of what's been going on. This opinion of this crap game has been shared all over and it just finally gets here. Seems a little late in my opinion.

Anyway laterz. 

"Love can be innocent and can be sweet, but sometimes about as nice as rotting meat."

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

Originally posted by Burntvet

Originally posted by pupurun

i totally agree on a low review..But it's too low compared to other many low reviews on equally bad games...Doen'st seem legit imo...Perhaps WarZ wasnt advertised through MMORPG and this causde some kind of prejudice? Just my question here..might be wrong...But i personally won't be suprised if i soon see a full scale advertising storm from DayZ on this website...

After the STEAM incident i totally agree that this game developer should be ''punished'' .I would even agree for a NOT TO REVIEW clause by any gaming website...But giving such a low point review shows an intention to ''kill'' more than a objective review...

And i repeat....Most of the bad-games on this website have an average of 6-7.And i talk about really bad games..You can't go from 6-7 to 1....Unless MMORPG will finally start and giving TRUE reviews...In that case then i agree on the 1,7...Now lets see some ''eights and nines" go at 6 and 7....

I agree. Especially on the point of a bad rating only being given to a non-advertiser.

Well this site didn't actually write this review because Bill thought he couldn't be, 'fair', about it, (huh?), so he got someone else from RTS to do it.

Why? Because if Hammerhead somehow pull they fingers out and actually made something that could appeal to people on here MMORPG.com is a ripe place for advertising.  If that happens and Hammerhead decide there not keen on spending money on advertising here, Bill can just say, 'Oh that guy from RTSguru wrote the review, it wasn't our view, we love your games'.

It's a bit like saying Aliens Colonial Marines isn't great now.  Everyone already knows this, it's common knowledge or an accepted view.  It's, 'safe', to say it and Bills covered himself by letting someone else tell you it's crap.

Brilliant in a way...

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• dsoveraldsoveral Member Posts: 1
    Did you MMORPG.com payed a 12 yr old kid who loves DayZ to review this game? I guess so, what I can see here is that you are unprofessional, and unable to review any game in the industry, the game is bad but DayZ is bad aswell, in fact, they are both poor games, but DayZ is horrible, just as bad as WarZ, in matter of fact WarZ is still much better imo, if you give 1.7 to WarZ i'll give 0,00000000000000007 to DayZ. Really try to hire some 18+YrsOld workers, cause I can only see childish reviews. Gz
  • znaiikaznaiika Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by colddog04

It's not possible to enjoy WarZ because it's gameplay is sloppier than a burrito with both ends open. I still can't figure out why people defend this travesty. And honestly, DayZ as a mod plays better than WarZ as a standalone. And DayZ is still a mess.

Actualy dayz is so glitchy, I couldn't even play it in some parts, like cities and air strips, all I could see is a sky all over place, small towns are ok.

Warz is much, much, much better, as performance go's.

Originally posted by colddog04

Actualy dayz is so glitchy, I couldn't even play it in some parts, like cities and air strips, all I could see is a sky all over place, small towns are ok.

Warz is much, much, much better, as performance go's.

OH yeah comparing some glitchs in "under-developement-mod-to-become-a-standalone" to the great gameplay of a released scam is totally relevant.... or not.

[mod edit]

• syberchipsyberchip Member UncommonPosts: 4
    While I agree The War Z isn't the greatest game (and thier business practices were poor), I have to say, I don't think it deserves a review quite this low (3 or 4 maybe, but 1s?  Really?).  I could see if it wasn't even playable, but that's definitely not the case here, as I've seen several people streaming it on Twitch just fine.
    Originally posted by syberchip
    While I agree The War Z isn't the greatest game (and thier business practices were poor), I have to say, I don't think it deserves a review quite this low (3 or 4 maybe, but 1s?  Really?).  I could see if it wasn't even playable, but that's definitely not the case here, as I've seen several people streaming it on Twitch just fine.

Yeah and they were having so much fun right ?

How long did you watch btw ?

Did you have a little look at the game buisness model ? I mean server costs and all the ridiculous reasons they found to make you poop dollars ?

Why do you think about 95% of the whole world gaming comunity is trashing this wannabe-game ? If "only" 80% were disliking it and 20% getting real enjoyement out of it we'd say it's a niche game... here we have a conscensus stating this IS A SCAM. (Since very first post from hammerpoint about WarZ most players understood it)

• GhernGhern Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Originally posted by dsoveral
    Did you MMORPG.com payed a 12 yr old kid who loves DayZ to review this game? I guess so, what I can see here is that you are unprofessional, and unable to review any game in the industry, the game is bad but DayZ is bad aswell, in fact, they are both poor games, but DayZ is horrible, just as bad as WarZ, in matter of fact WarZ is still much better imo, if you give 1.7 to WarZ i'll give 0,00000000000000007 to DayZ. Really try to hire some 18+YrsOld workers, cause I can only see childish reviews. Gz

DayZ is a free mod not a complete game. Apples and oranges.

WarZ actually wants you to pay to play their steaming pile of crap. 1.7 is well deserved.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

I'm sure the game blows, but that's not even a semi serious review.  It is oozing with bitter butthurtedness that has no place in a review. 

I could have said much of the same things he did about PS2 or DUST514, so I sure hope they don't score higher than a 3 or 4.

This discussion has been closed.