Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

The Creepiest thing you have done in a MMORPG.

Comments

• AutemOxAutemOx Fullerton, CAPosts: 1,704Member
    Originally posted by Brabbit1987

Hmmm ... creepy. Well, my X boyfriend used to hit on so many girls in mmorpgs and try to roleplay sex with them. So I used to create new character and lead him on and then go all psycho crazy on him. Then about a few hours later I would tell him it was me XD. Think I done that to him to many times to count. He always falls for it too.

Edit: Oh I also once almost got him to drive to some unkown location thinking he was going to pick up some girl.

HAHAHAHAHAHA woooowwwww... new fav post in this thread.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• CorehavenCorehaven Colorado Springs, COPosts: 1,538Member

I was a kid, and UO had just come out.  I log in excitedly. 

I see a pink dress laying on the ground. 

I then proceed to run up to random strangers ask them if they'd like to trade, and when they said, "Okay...sure" I'd put the dress on and run around them in circles yelling, " IM SELLING THESE PRETTY PINK DRESSES!  BWAHAHAAHAHAAA! " and then run off screen. 

Is this about the dumbest thing you've ever heard off?  Me too.  I was a kid.  That's the only excuse I have.  After doing this to about 40 people over the course of about 3 hours I actually started playing. 

Not only is this the creepiest (dumbest) thing Ive ever done in an mmo, it is also the very FIRST thing I ever did in any mmo.  Sigh........

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Auburn, INPosts: 991Member Uncommon
    Many people think that a guy playing a girl toon is creepy..  I'm guilty of that;)  My daughter likes to watch me play and I let her make the toon on every game I play lol

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Ontario, CanadaPosts: 729Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Corehaven

I was a kid, and UO had just come out.  I log in excitedly. 

I see a pink dress laying on the ground. 

I then proceed to run up to random strangers ask them if they'd like to trade, and when they said, "Okay...sure" I'd put the dress on and run around them in circles yelling, " IM SELLING THESE PRETTY PINK DRESSES!  BWAHAHAAHAHAAA! " and then run off screen. 

Is this about the dumbest thing you've ever heard off?  Me too.  I was a kid.  That's the only excuse I have.  After doing this to about 40 people over the course of about 3 hours I actually started playing. 

Not only is this the creepiest (dumbest) thing Ive ever done in an mmo, it is also the very FIRST thing I ever did in any mmo.  Sigh........

That's just ... weird ....

... But hey .. it's kinda silly ... I guess. :3

Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    Many people think that a guy playing a girl toon is creepy..  I'm guilty of that;)  My daughter likes to watch me play and I let her make the toon on every game I play lol

I never understood why some guys think it's creepy. It's just a game. It's no different then playinga single player game featureing a girl as it's main character. You know like umm that Tomb Raider game that became so big.

I never understood why some guys think it's creepy. It's just a game. It's no different then playinga single player game featureing a girl as it's main character. You know like umm that Tomb Raider game that became so big.

Tomb Raider always pops into my head also when I think about this subject hehe..  My daughter may only be 4 years old but she seems to call the shots most of the time /grin

• TheHavokTheHavok San Jose, CAPosts: 2,398Member Uncommon

Read a guide about making gold  in WoW by pretending to be a girl.  So, I rolled a female Draenei shaman, gave her pigtails and some random girly sounding name and just started talking to other people in the starting zone.  While reading the guide of this other player and making my own character, I thought I would act really slutty and be a huge e-whore, but I actually didn't do anything sexual at all. 

I was a freshman in college at the time hanging out with a bunch of freshman girls so it was pretty easy to have something to base my character on.

I didn't flirt with anybody or even act in a sexual way....just laugh a lot and act stupid (gotta love drunk college girls) but sure enough some guy talked to me a lot and even ran to my area to give me gold.  From a heterosexual point of view, he seemed like a nice normal dude - just playing the game and acting like he made a new friend I guess.

I never played on that character again, simply due to lack of interest in the shaman class.  I don't really feel like it was creepy.  Maybe if I continued to play on the character and act more feminine, it would have been. 

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen USA, GAPosts: 2,451Member Uncommon
    I think the creepiest 2 things I did in an mmorpg was in Ultima Online. I'd kill npc's for black sandles a long time ago when we were able to, heh. I remember chopping people up too and having dozens of their heads locked down on my tables in my keep, lol, good times.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• grimfallgrimfall Missouri City, TXPosts: 1,155Member Uncommon

Hmmm ... creepy. Well, my X boyfriend used to hit on so many girls in mmorpgs and try to roleplay sex with them. So I used to create new character and lead him on and then go all psycho crazy on him. Then about a few hours later I would tell him it was me XD. Think I done that to him to many times to count. He always falls for it too.

Edit: Oh I also once almost got him to drive to some unkown location thinking he was going to pick up some girl.

Um, I don't want to go all Oprah on you here, but maybe you shoudl find a new boyfriend?

I can honestly say I haven't ever done any of this stuff.  I do make some female characters.  Never was a problem until playing TOR just before it went FTP and some kid tried to hit on me and then got mad when I told him I was a man.

• grimfallgrimfall Missouri City, TXPosts: 1,155Member Uncommon

Tomb Raider always pops into my head also when I think about this subject hehe..  My daughter may only be 4 years old but she seems to call the shots most of the time /grin

There's a pretty significant difference between Tomb Raider and an MMO.  Your virtual character does represent yourself (or a character)  to other people.  I would guess that the people who are bothered by it or assume they know the sex of a person based on a character came to the genre from something other than RPG's.

• CorehavenCorehaven Colorado Springs, COPosts: 1,538Member
    Originally posted by grimfall

Um, I don't want to go all Oprah on you here, but maybe you shoudl find a new boyfriend?

I can honestly say I haven't ever done any of this stuff.  I do make some female characters.  Never was a problem until playing TOR just before it went FTP and some kid tried to hit on me and then got mad when I told him I was a man.

Eeehhh.....yea.  I'm not buying that post.  Sorry.  Just no.  That's just....no. 

• Once I was on my warrior in vanilla WoW and was bored in Ironforge. Then a random guy ran past me to the auction house. I thought "I'm going to follow that guy." Then I followed him around his business in Ironforge for maybe 5-10 minutes before I could tell he realised he was being followed.

Then he started running around in various places trying to lose me to no avail. He then whispered "Why are you following me?!?!" but I didn't reply. He continued trying to lose me but was unsuccesful. I then thought I'd pretend to lose track of him as he headed towards the bank by hiding around a corner and then peeking out to see where he went.

I hid outside the bank when he went in. A few minutes after he came out, thinking he'd successfully thrown me off, I was instantly on his tail again. He whispered me "NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"

Unfortunately I had to go a few minutes later, so I had to log out shortly after that.

• django-djangodjango-django ElthamPosts: 115Member
    Got hired as a stripper in Second Life, paid in RL money. Not exactly my proudest moment.
  • RhinotonesRhinotones BenowaPosts: 238Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Axxar

Once I was on my warrior in vanilla WoW and was bored in Ironforge. Then a random guy ran past me to the auction house. I thought "I'm going to follow that guy." Then I followed him around his business in Ironforge for maybe 5-10 minutes before I could tell he realised he was being followed.

Then he started running around in various places trying to lose me to no avail. He then whispered "Why are you following me?!?!" but I didn't reply. He continued trying to lose me but was unsuccesful. I then thought I'd pretend to lose track of him as he headed towards the bank by hiding around a corner and then peeking out to see where he went.

I hid outside the bank when he went in. A few minutes after he came out, thinking he'd successfully thrown me off, I was instantly on his tail again. He whispered me "NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"

Unfortunately I had to go a few minutes later, so I had to log out shortly after that.

This made me LOL hard. Can't get much creepier than stalking someone and not saying a word to them.  You probably gave some poor kid nightmares, you know the one where your being chased and it just keeps going and going and...

• renstarensta Bat-YamPosts: 275Member Uncommon
    Following strangers on a daily basis,getting friendly with them,pking them,repeat.                                                                                   Pretended to be a girl in a really big and famouse guild,got friendly with the guild leader,we became more then friend.... i asked to try some epic jewls for stats,and then ran awaye,he stalked me for 3 weeks,at the end i gave him back the jewls(we got really close :O ) never told him i was a guy.

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

There's a pretty significant difference between Tomb Raider and an MMO.  Your virtual character does represent yourself (or a character)  to other people.  I would guess that the people who are bothered by it or assume they know the sex of a person based on a character came to the genre from something other than RPG's.

Dumbest thing I've read in a while.. Thanks

I think what he said made perfect sense.  I am not against guys making girl characters and visa versa because it is all in good fun in the end.  Still, it is a different manner because a) in tomb raider you do not chose your gender.  b) in tomb raider you are controlling a character with a story and her own name.  In a mmo you are creating a character to represent yourself.  c) in a mmo you are communicating with other players thus gender has an effect on that communication (where as in a single player game gender would have absolutely no effect on gameplay).

There are plenty of reasons to make a female character.  The most popular being that you are bored of male characters, you have to look at your character all day and you prefer looking at the female form, or you associate yourself or feel like acting out a female role (regardless of if that female role is feminine or masculine).

PS: Gwapo your post might get moderated, posts like that often do because they are critical of another user without contributing analysis.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Barrow, AKPosts: 817Member
    Creepiest thing i ever did was make one of those Loli girls (forget the race name) in Tera. Played it for about 6 levels then deleted it. I also stopped playing the game about 2 days later.

Lolipops !

• ScarfeScarfe londonPosts: 281Member
    Originally posted by Axxar

Once I was on my warrior in vanilla WoW and was bored in Ironforge. Then a random guy ran past me to the auction house. I thought "I'm going to follow that guy." Then I followed him around his business in Ironforge for maybe 5-10 minutes before I could tell he realised he was being followed.

This is funny, but genuinely hasn't everyone done this in wow at one point or other whilst bored? 

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

Originally posted by wormywyrm

Dumbest thing I've read in a while.. Thanks

I think what he said made perfect sense.  I am not against guys making girl characters and visa versa because it is all in good fun in the end.  Still, it is a different manner because a) in tomb raider you do not chose your gender.  b) in tomb raider you are controlling a character with a story and her own name.  In a mmo you are creating a character to represent yourself.  c) in a mmo you are communicating with other players thus gender has an effect on that communication (where as in a single player game gender would have absolutely no effect on gameplay).

There are plenty of reasons to make a female character.  The most popular being that you are bored of male characters, you have to look at your character all day and you prefer looking at the female form, or you associate yourself or feel like acting out a female role (regardless of if that female role is feminine or masculine).

PS: Gwapo your post might get moderated, posts like that often do because they are critical of another user without contributing analysis.

I'm not a roleplayer so what you say is bull to me.. My toon is not me.. I'm perfectly ok with the person i am in real life. I don't make a toon in a MMO to get away from reality. 

• VindicarVindicar ParisPosts: 134Member

Some really creepy (but awesome) RP was going on Fallen Earth a fiew years ago.

Some of us knows.... I can't say much... the nightmares still haunts me...

( Fallen Earth allows some great great RP experience for a MMORPG... think it was my favorite RPing in a video game of all time.)

Old school french hardcore whiner. Online since T4C.

I was "Namless" and "Daroot" in AO (Rk2)
    Recently known as "Vindicar" (Aion (EU), SWTOR (EU), WoW (EU).
    Actually Known as "Wundicar" in Age of Wushu (US)

I'm not a roleplayer so what you say is bull to me.. My toon is not me.. I'm perfectly ok with the person i am in real life. I don't make a toon in a MMO to get away from reality. 

If you are not creating an avatar to represent your characters appearance to yourself to other players, what is happening during the character creation process?  What is its purpose?  If it has no purpose, do you simply choose at random and click quickly through the character creation screen?

New boyfriend? Reread my post and you will notice the "x" before boyfriend. 

• CyborWolfTKCyborWolfTK anywhere, AKPosts: 77Member

I would make friends in U.O. Get them to trust me,

and then lead them into gang bangs in deciet where my guild was waiting to rape them.

Can't tell you how many people where dumb enough to carry around deeds.

In fact, that's how my guild got our first tower.

To compound it I played a firey blond female half elf healer who was way on the wildside(table dancing, drinking till puking, tatoo's and piercing. snorting cocain, you name it, It wasn;t a fun night until she ended up in the emergency room.

Think of her as cross between Jackie Chan drunken moneky meets Kate Middleton's Alter ego healer.

Oh you meant in a game....

Well I once stayed with this farmer who had this hottie daughter and.... well mayby this anit the place for that kind of story.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Elmhurst, ILPosts: 6,403Member

It's interesting that some mmo players are deeply creeped out by what was (once upon a time) standard roleplay.

Purpose of roleplay? To assume a role that's not just-you-with-a-different-name? Good practice, in fact, is assuming a role that's as thoroughly unlike yourself as possible.

Unpaid acting, for fun, that's the entire point.

For example: If a freaking enormous Tauren species with horns and a huge...battle axe...isn't (homophobically) creepy, but a pixelated female of your (real) species makes you skeeve?...  ... ... See the psychiatrist in room 604, please. You just might have some unresolved sexuality (or even beastiality) issues to work out.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• VindicarVindicar ParisPosts: 134Member

It's only creepy to guys looking for cyber-affairs.

Anyone sane should have no prob wit hit indeed :p

I loved being a lesbian cannibalist... :D

Old school french hardcore whiner. Online since T4C.

I was "Namless" and "Daroot" in AO (Rk2)
    Recently known as "Vindicar" (Aion (EU), SWTOR (EU), WoW (EU).
    Actually Known as "Wundicar" in Age of Wushu (US)