Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Classes or Skills or Something Else Poll

TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless ColumnistM, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

I prefer skills based (UO) but that always seems to create balance chaos. Hybrid would be nice and from the interview it sounds close to what they are thinking of (you have a class but using a heavy axe levels character skills). I also really liked the old SWG system where you had the ability to level anything, but you only had so many points to invest into the class trees so in the end you could master about 2 professions and get half way into 1 which created a lot of unique diversity and playstyles (and balance issues :(

Comments

• meddyckmeddyck Athens, GAPosts: 1,140Member Uncommon

I like a pure class system like in DAOC or WAR. I want the devs to create a class that has a bunch of abilities that make sense together (to use a buzzword, they should have synergy).  There should be variety but not random stuff like the Jedi Knight's mezz droid skill in SWTOR.

I'm not a fan of the trait system that many MMOs use these days where you pick a bunch of skills that modify your basic abilities in odd ways that are difficult to judge the effectiveness at a glance (see: GW 2). I hope you will have multiple quickbars and be able to freely place your skills in the various slots like in DAOC rather than being limited to 10 or so active skills at a time like in GW 2 and other action combat games.

Mark has mentioned the idea of having weapons improve the more you use them. That sounds interesting as long as it isn't like artifacts in DAOC where it just means you have to grind for a few hours to max out your weapon or worse GW 2 where you gain all your weapon's abilities after 10 minutes of killing stuff. It would be cool if weapons had a basically infinite damage progression the longer you use them with diminishing returns after a point to keep the power disparity from growing too great plus. You could unlock advanced styles or upgrades to older styles over time. This usage based weapon improvement could replace the RAs in DAOC that increased your damage.

Camelot Unchained Backer
    DAOC [retired]: R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R5 Healer

• CaldrinCaldrin CwmbranPosts: 4,533Member Uncommon
    I am not a fan of class systems in MMOs as such so I hope he just goes for a pure skill based one.. tho a hybrid would also work..
  • Storm_FirebladeStorm_Fireblade FlensburgPosts: 156Member
    Mark is in general a fan of skill based systems. Camelot Unchained will have a class-system though. That much we know for sure.

Camelot Unchained Fanpage
    https://simply-gaming.com/camelot/

• SeitrSeitr Saint Cloud, FLPosts: 50Member
    Originally posted by Caldrin
    I am not a fan of class systems in MMOs as such so I hope he just goes for a pure skill based one.. tho a hybrid would also work..

He has already stated that for this game, he and his team agree that a class based system is the only way to go.

• ZinzanZinzan NorthPosts: 1,351Member

Class system please, let me be a healer!!!! Im so sick of games forcing everyone down the hybrid route.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• Punk999Punk999 Baytown, TXPosts: 873Member Uncommon
    I enjoy the class system because each class is actually different! Not Oh i can dps too or Oh i can CC too etc.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• jtcgsjtcgs New Port Richey, ILPosts: 1,777Member
    Open choice skill system...but looking at who is making the game it will be exactly like DaoC/War, limited and stuck in game designs of the past that goes in line with guiderailed games that hold your hand and tell you what your role is supposed to be. Expect nothing original.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• General_Dru-ZodGeneral_Dru-Zod Unknown, CAPosts: 136Member
    Originally posted by Seitr
    Originally posted by Caldrin

He has already stated that for this game, he and his team agree that a class based system is the only way to go.

He also stated that there will be different ways to "spec" your class aswell .. everybody told me a 2hder Savage wouldnt work.. they were so wrong

• AeonbladesAeonblades Home, GAPosts: 2,083Member
    Pure class system. Let's not muck up the return of camelot by trying new fangled ideas that haven't worked yet in a game imo.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless Columnist M, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

I really do like either system. By biggest concern with a class system is too many classes which create balance chaos. I would be happy with a healer, a dps, and a tank class. Each class could do ranged and melee damage so they feel diverse. I love alting, and I love all kinds of classes and races and cosmetics, but I think I prefer less in the beginning, make them great, make them balanced, and slowly add more over time, similar to what the Mech Warrior MMOFPS is doing.

• TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless Columnist M, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

Considering that my top 3 options are all similar to a skill system it's pretty interesting that we are close to 50/50 on skill vs class.

• BenezettaBenezetta Wakeman, OHPosts: 84Member Uncommon
    I don't care if it's a class or based on skill - so long as I'm a healer I'm happy.  They can design it however they want.
  • Teh_AxiTeh_Axi HalifaxPosts: 380Member

Has to be strict class based, large scale PvP just ends up a mess otherwise.

• NitthNitth AustraliaPosts: 3,684Member Uncommon

Eve System + On Land + No timer = win...for me.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• SpeelySpeely Seattle, WAPosts: 861Member
    I have always wished for a class-based system that was modular, and allowed you to build your own class. Something like DAoC but allowing you to choose your 3 to 5 skill paths from a large set. This would shift class balance to skill/ability balance and be in line with MJ's willingness to let a player gimp their toon. If you want to play a hardcore mmorpg, then you know what you are signing up for. That being said, I understand the logistical nightmare this model presents and would rather have a class-based model that is realistic in regard to the RPS approach they are taking so that we can have fun, meaningful RvR again. Maybe someday ;)
  • meddyckmeddyck Athens, GAPosts: 1,140Member Uncommon
    The importance of having true classes is so that you can recognize what classes enemies are and react accordingly. If you have no idea what skills your enemies may have, then who do you attack first? Then it just becomes a matter of guesswork. You want players to have to learn what the enemy classes are and be able to adapt their strategies to who and what they are facing.

Camelot Unchained Backer
    DAOC [retired]: R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R5 Healer

• nate1980nate1980 Evans, GAPosts: 1,829Member
    I voted for a pure class system. The reason why is because in a RvR game, teamwork is paramount. Because teamwork is paramount, balancing should be done with teamwork in mind. Mythic balanced DAoC this way. In order to form well rounded teams, people need to know what role they fill, and classes do the best job of filling that need. With that said, there should be flexibility in how a person can build their class. DAoC did a good job of this aswell, and I hope Camelot Unchained will do at least as well.
  • DistopiaDistopia Baltimore, MDPosts: 16,899Member Uncommon

Gotta go with something similar to SWG. Although I know they're not doing that. I do like that they are talking about allowing usage to govern attributes.

Still this balance issue in regard to skill systems people talk about is something i could never quite rap my head around. Is it a balance issue or does it revolve more around players not accustoming themselves with the system, and knowing what works and what doesn't in regard to attributes gained from said build?

To add to that is it not also the nature of RPG systems to have some inconsistency in regard to strength and weaknesses? No matter what skill you master in, there will be a fault that follows..

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

• TadderTadder Naples, FLPosts: 38Member
    Originally posted by Distopia

Gotta go with something similar to SWG. Although I know they're not doing that. I do like that they are talking about allowing usage to govern attributes.

Still this balance issue in regard to skill systems people talk about is something i could never quite rap my head around. Is it a balance issue or does it revolve more around players not accustoming themselves with the system, and knowing what works and what doesn't in regard to attributes gained from said build?

To add to that is it not also the nature of RPG systems to have some inconsistency in regard to strength and weaknesses? No matter what skill you master in, there will be a fault that follows..

I agree with you that SWG had the best "potential" system in my opinion, though I did not play UO and imagine that system was likely very similar? It should be noted that the SWG system was plagued with problems, related to your comment on balance.  SWG Commandos could not use flame throwers at launch due to that class not being complete, throughout the game many FotM builds came out that obviously had not been tested enough in beta, I.E dodge stacking to 10000 when not even an atst could hit you. I think it illustrates more th difficulty in creating well made and balanced skill systems, as the devs have to predict a much larger number of combinations vs. a more defined class system. That being said, If there is a skill system within a class system that is supported by a larger amount of customization at character creation/choices, then I think that bridges the gap between pure skill choices and wow style class systems.

the WoW model of 3 trees per class is definitely not something I want to see in CU, and would be very disappointed in that. It sounded like in past posts, mark has hinted that if you are a warrior and you want to go into battle with a staff and robes you can. Maybe you won't be the killer that a two handed sword-wielding  norn in a jerkin is, but there could be a roll for you. Hopefully cu has a very open system that allows players to create their own roles within an established class system. Maybe not as open as pure skill but hopefully a lot more than moms of the last 9 years. It sounds like that is what CSE is shooting for.