Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Forget this game if you are solo only gamer

2»

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Originally posted by zymurgeist
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Look up the definition of mmorpg, massive refers to the number of people in the same instance at the same time. If the core gameplay is 5 man instances then it is not massive, it's a lobby game (and I don't mean that as a negative term). You could equally say that a online chess game with 10s of thousands of players online at the same time is massively online.

You might be right...

.. but last I checked this was MMORPG.COM...  and this was the PoE forum on that site.

Just because it's MMORPG.com doesn't mean it covers only MMORPGs. Quite the opposite is true.

Simply saying that there is no agreeded upon definition of what an "MMORPG" is.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by vzerov

Peopl can say or think whatever they want.

it doesn't make it true, though.

no matter how many claim 2 + 2 = 5

However 2+2 = 5 is true in a modulo one ring. So the morale of the story: context matters, what is false in one context may not necessarely be so in another context.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Myrdynn
    Originally posted by Yamota

grouping in an MMO, how dare they

Skyrim had great solo play

Path of Exile is an MMO? I thought it was a lobby based co-op action RPG.

I play POE the same way I played WOW for the last 2 yrs, sit in a Town, wait for my group and goto an instance, or sit in a town, wait for a Raid, goto an instance, or sit in a town, wait for PVP goto an instance, or go out and farm by myself for supplies so that I can sit in town some more waiting for a group.

Seems that its just like the worlds biggest MMO to me, except without the Pandas

So in WOW you leveled from 1st level to all the way to cap by doing nothing but dungeons? really?  you didn't go out in the open world? didn't do any quests? never participated in PVP?i know you want to make a point about how you can play POE like WOW... but why exaggerate?

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

PoE is not an mmo.

In fact, and I quote the PoE developers:

"Path of Exile is an online Action RPG...."

Now, anyone that STILL says it's an MMO should be straight-up slapped on the noggin.

• Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401

These are the type of complaints that ruined MMO's for me, in another sense it made MMO's huge. Either way companies catered to "solo" complaints and made MMO's single player games.

PoE is not an MMO like many others have stated. Co-op action game...........if somone wants a pure single player experience there are more than one or two of those games tp be found I bet, but seriously, make some friends in game, it's a far better experience in gaming.

• Trueforral1Trueforral1 Member UncommonPosts: 35

Originally posted by Bladestrom Look up the definition of mmorpg, massive refers to the number of people in the same instance at the same time. If the core gameplay is 5 man instances then it is not massive, it's a lobby game (and I don't mean that as a negative term). You could equally say that a online chess game with 10s of thousands of players online at the same time is massively online.
     You might be right...   .. but last I checked this was MMORPG.COM...  and this was the PoE forum on that site.
     Just because it's MMORPG.com doesn't mean it covers only MMORPGs. Quite the opposite is true.
     Simply saying that there is no agreeded upon definition of what an "MMORPG" is.
     Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game. The definition is in the acronym. Just because some people can't understand the obvious doesn't invalidate the meaning. They're simply wrong.

But even if the definition of MMORPG is in the acronym, the parts of its definition remain hazy. What exactly does Massively Multiplayer constitute? For instance, where does simple Multiplayer become massive? Is it multiplayer if players simply exist within the same world without really interacting? Further, what defines an RPG, really? One could argue that due the hazy definitions of RPGs that Super Mario qualifies, because you play the role of a mushroom addled plumber, and that Modern Warfare too is an RPG because you play the role of a soldier.  The only thing that's crystal clear is the Online part of MMORPG.

Which is why one can argue about it, and also why it's ultimately fruitless to do so, because people can come at it from a multitude of angles and perspectives, and present opposing ideas that nonetheless still can be argued to all be right.

• inmysightsinmysights Member UncommonPosts: 441
    no matter what, POE is a pretty damn awesome game! image

I am so good, I backstabbed your face!

Originally posted by Coated
    Look up the definition of mmorpg, massive refers to the number of people in the same instance at the same time. If the core gameplay is 5 man instances then it is not massive, it's a lobby game (and I don't mean that as a negative term). You could equally say that a online chess game with 10s of thousands of players online at the same time is massively online.

sorry but there is no "DEFINITION" of the term.  Play in a cutthroat league, I had 42 people in one zone I was in, and that was more then I ever saw at once in SWtor outside of the city

Age of Conan is entirely instanced as well, and its an MMORPG

Istaria is an MMORPG and it has less then 100 subscribers

Vanguard before F2P had at most 150 people online on the entire server, yet it was a MMORPG

MMORPG is completely an irrelevant term

I get the point you are trying to make, but you are wrong. By your logic, SKYRIM should be a first person shooter because I can go into first person view and shoot with a bow.

Games are catorigized by their first intention. POE is an ARPG, not an mmorpg. Just like SKYRIM is an RPG, not a FPS.

So TERA is an Action RPG then and not a MMORPG, because the Action + RPG is far more important in TERA than the "MMO" part.

• AdrenAdren Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by Coated

sorry but there is no "DEFINITION" of the term.  Play in a cutthroat league, I had 42 people in one zone I was in, and that was more then I ever saw at once in SWtor outside of the city

Age of Conan is entirely instanced as well, and its an MMORPG

Istaria is an MMORPG and it has less then 100 subscribers

Vanguard before F2P had at most 150 people online on the entire server, yet it was a MMORPG

MMORPG is completely an irrelevant term

I get the point you are trying to make, but you are wrong. By your logic, SKYRIM should be a first person shooter because I can go into first person view and shoot with a bow.

Games are catorigized by their first intention. POE is an ARPG, not an mmorpg. Just like SKYRIM is an RPG, not a FPS.

So TERA is an Action RPG then and not a MMORPG, because the Action + RPG is far more important in TERA than the "MMO" part.

But Tera is a MMO..PoE isnt a MMO but Tera is cuz theres no lobbies or lobby like areas

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
      Sweet thanks...Consider it forgotten  :)

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• stygianapothstygianapoth Member UncommonPosts: 185

i hate grouping in any MMO, I want to stand out as a loner on my own, based on my own skills, not what a group or guild can carry me to.

Ugh, MMOs need to find that fine line between solo play and group play.

If anything, group play needs diminished values. Most people group cause it's "fun" not cause they get better rewards.

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

By the pure logic of some here Pong was a MMORPG.

Well how is that?

Was it massive? YES millions of people played pong including against other human players.

Was it on line? YES. the line between the controller and the Nintendo box.

Was it a RPG? YES many believed themselves to be great tennis stars.

Therefore Pong was a MMORPG!

it is pure logic. no?

ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386
    Originally posted by Mustarastas

Im level77 and have played since relase of open beta. So far I have had a blast with the game but now that I have died few characters in HC and played with my ranger to 77 I have finally met the wall.

Wait what wall? Well, at the moment if I want to solo I will more or less likely be headed towards Docks (best farm place end game). Now, I do one docks run and I get about 1% exp. On the other hand, if I would go and play in party (hard to find, lots of waiting, well I dont want to party) I would get about 5% exp per run.

Also, the best end game loot drops from maps that are basically party places.

Therefore, even though the game is extremely good at start - even for soloing -  it kinda slaps you in the face after you have played sometime.

But again - thats just my two cents.

I get how a majority of the posts here have insulted your logic...its seems dumb at best on the surface.

Ive played POE quite a bit, before and after the closed beta to marketing beta character wipe...so i understand what it seems you have failed to convey to the forums here, and i understand this game has quite a nasty cheerleading squad to it...which might explain the responses.

See..ARPG games like this are suppose to be games that you can either log on and play alone for a bit OR group up with buddies.  This isnt a mmorpg as many have pointed out.  Games like this should be soloable, which is why they scale mobs with group members.  If this was a multiplayer oriented game this wouldnt be the case in order to force you to group...much like mmorpg dungeons often do.

Anyway, back to the explanation and why this isnt good.  See most people get to the higher difficulties and learn that their "unique" build that had worked now doesnt...only way to progress is on the shoulders of others (pro tip none of the builds matter much just get survivability...yeah awesome passive system) Only way to remedy a serious build fail is to reroll...and content in this game just doesnt have the replayability for this.

Heres the kicker.  The community of this game is beyond atrocious. This is a game that you walk into ready to make friends and multiplayer and end up with all chats muted and ignoring the sub-par multiplaying interface, which is just posted goups circa 1990.  No match making.  To boot the loot is shared, so what once became a game where you focused on playing now becomes managing strangers innate ability to take first then decide if they should give..which actually becomes the focus of most multiplayer games.

Once you pass through the game several times over to the hardest difficulty it loses a LOT of its replayability, something D3 managed to somewhat hold on to with its vast array of random events, dungeons, and lore offerings (if your into lore).

Rerolling a character thats just like the one that failed but with different choices, that still plays exactly the same, gets boring given the combat mechanics are terribly dated and clunky.

Its not a horrid game, but has been vastly over rated by people so distraught over D3 not being an exact replica of D2...which is 95% of the POE community.

Bottom line is youll like the game if youve never played a modern arpg, or hate blizzard so much youll do anything in your power to stick it to them.  There are a lot better arpg games out there, and this company got REALLY lucky that D3 didnt live up to the hype, though i still find it the highest quality arpg out, if for only its amazing combat and physics engine, entertaining and easy to use multiplayer with private loot, and rune system that allows for quick changes of skills that drastically effect how your character can play..though it does have its own set of issues revolving around content...and the ex D3 community desperately trying to push POE on the D3 forums.

The fact that you kind of have to multiplayer to progress unless you chose a specific premade kripp build, really highlights the poorly implimented active and passive skill systems, which look super interesting and complex on the surface, but is anything but complex or interesting in execution.  Something many find out on the higher difficulties.

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386
    Ahhh well, still not as good as Aion these days. See ya all there gonna be playin Aion for next 24 hrs.... Booyah!
  • nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

Im level77 and have played since relase of open beta. So far I have had a blast with the game but now that I have died few characters in HC and played with my ranger to 77 I have finally met the wall.

Wait what wall? Well, at the moment if I want to solo I will more or less likely be headed towards Docks (best farm place end game). Now, I do one docks run and I get about 1% exp. On the other hand, if I would go and play in party (hard to find, lots of waiting, well I dont want to party) I would get about 5% exp per run.

Therefore, even though the game is extremely good at start - even for soloing -  it kinda slaps you in the face after you have played sometime.

1. If the best gear is in the party areas and you don't want to join a party, then why do you need it? Sounds like the best gear is only needed for grouping areas, and that you probably get gear that's good enough for solo play from the solo areas.

2. MMORPG's used to be played for years, with maxing one character taking months to over a year. So what's your rush in leveling up? So what if you get 1% per run. If you keep at it, you'll eventually hit 100. 

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402
    A MULTIPLAYERgame that requies to play with others, how evil they designed it like that......
  • nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    Originally posted by DMKano

PoE has builds that work after level 80 and builds that suck at higher levels.

Some builds are made so you can solo at any level - read official class forums for some examples.

Its a shame that you could have a build that you love and performs awesome at lower levels then you hit that wall at 77 when you realize your build doesn't work anymore.

that's how the game is right now, most folks just quit at that point.

Yeah and I don't blame them. The thing is, if you watch the 44 min inteview released this past week on their plans, everyone would realize that the devleopers admit that PoE is an unfinished product, which is why they haven't released it yet. It's still in Open Beta for some of these very reasons people are complaining about. 

The developers best guess is that the game will be ready for release late summer, when Act 3 is completed.

• PrysionerosPrysioneros Member Posts: 2

I just had to respond seeing the thread title. I am lvl 82 Shadow and can solo the entire game by myself. Sure I die every once in awhile (usually because Im so full of myself and run to quick into mass amounts of mobs). But to say you can't solo in this game is so farfetched. Your build must suck. I haven't found 1 instance that my character can't solo. I usually do 70+ maps on the regular and don't have much problems.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

is it Massive? Yes

is it Multiplayer? Yes

is it Online? Yes

is it an RPG? Yes

Its a MMORPG then

NO

but it is an awesome game solo or co-op :)

• WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by sunflame

I play POE the same way I played WOW for the last 2 yrs, sit in a Town, wait for my group and goto an instance, or sit in a town, wait for a Raid, goto an instance, or sit in a town, wait for PVP goto an instance, or go out and farm by myself for supplies so that I can sit in town some more waiting for a group.

Seems that its just like the worlds biggest MMO to me, except without the Pandas

Ah right...

Well, I play PoE the same way i played Diablo1 - so that must mean it's a single player game

you played Diablo 1 online on a company's server? Where you had the option to make trades, form groups and talk to other people?

you must be the only one

I'm sorry but I don't see where I claimed to have played it online...

I play PoE the same way I played Diablo1 - without groups / without talking to other people and without trades. Which means it is obviously a single player game (the internet connection is irrlevent as there are a lot of single player games nowdays that requires internet connection).

is it Massive? Yes

is it Multiplayer? Yes

is it Online? Yes

is it an RPG? Yes

Its a MMORPG then

I see where you are coming from but POE isn't a MMORPG, it's a online co-op action RPG.

MMORPG's have a large persistent univirse, POE has a large ingame Twitter, with co-op grouping much like Guild Wars 1 is. Nothing wrong with that so long as it's fun and you are enjoying yourself, but to call it a MMORPG will rub alot of old school MMO players wrong, I still wonder why this site even has games like Diablo, LoL, POE ect. even on the list, my good guess is they just needed a place to list them seeing as there is no COOPRPG.com.

Originally posted by Warjin

Ah right...

Well, I play PoE the same way i played Diablo1 - so that must mean it's a single player game

you played Diablo 1 online on a company's server? Where you had the option to make trades, form groups and talk to other people?

you must be the only one

I'm sorry but I don't see where I claimed to have played it online...

I play PoE the same way I played Diablo1 - without groups / without talking to other people and without trades. Which means it is obviously a single player game (the internet connection is irrlevent as there are a lot of single player games nowdays that requires internet connection).

is it Massive? Yes

is it Multiplayer? Yes

is it Online? Yes

is it an RPG? Yes

Its a MMORPG then

I see where you are coming from but POE isn't a MMORPG, it's a online co-op action RPG.

MMORPG's have a large persistent univirse, POE has a large ingame Twitter, with co-op grouping much like Guild Wars 1 is. Nothing wrong with that so long as it's fun and you are enjoying yourself, but to call it a MMORPG will rub alot of old school MMO players wrong, I still wonder why this site even has games like Diablo, LoL, POE ect. even on the list, my good guess is they just needed a place to list them seeing as there is no COOPRPG.com.

Ever since SWTOR was called a MMORPG, times have changed; get used to it!

• GoromhirGoromhir Member UncommonPosts: 463

glad i left at level 34 when all my minions and my witch got killed in ACT 3 in under 5 sec by some OPed orange and yellow NPCs

the mobs were even 7 levels lower. i have no chance against these op´ed mobs ever