Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hibernating Until EQ Next

DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392

Ok, I genuinly feel good about EQ Next.    I know its SOE and yada yada yada, but God I love Norrath.   I'm so excited about this game in a unique way.   I'm not excited about a feature, an empty promise, or anything specific, because we haven't been given anything and honestly, it feels good.   Too often I get over hyped about something a game is advertising and like many of you, am always let down upon release.   If it's true that we will be playing EQ Next by the end of the year as Smedley suggested I really hope we don't find out details until the last minute.   We always say we can never recapture that 1999 (2000 for me) feeling again because the awesomeness was based around it being our first 3D MMO world to explore...but maybe we can.   We didnt go into EQ1 early on going, "well can this game deliver everything it promised or will it fall flat like all the ones before it" because well there wasn't an flood of MMOs like we experience now.   We all went in going, what is this world, where do I go, what do I do, and more importantly, "What will it be like?"   

So, I for one am ready to go into a game fresh, figuring it all out as I go, discovering new adventures as I progress and not progressing to consume the content advertised.  This is why I am Hibernating Until EQ Next....I simply don't want to know everything about the game before it's released, I want to discover, explore and adventure.

So to you..Could escaping this pre-launch research era, in which we learn all the details before we play, change the way we approach new MMOs, and is it possible to even do in this corporate MMO world we live in?   And more importantly, do you think not being over-hyped and over informed could bring back that "magic spark" we once experienced in 1999?

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

Comments

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214
    One can only hope. Less information makes for more intrigue IMO. They should tell you the bare bone story and features to the game. Just not pour everything out in the open where nothing is left to discovery and surprise and excitement.
  • AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

I think I understand where the OP is coming from.

Yesterday I was browsing the internet, bored, thinking about what -could- be as far as MMOs go.  I decided to watch some youtube videos about ArcheAge.  I am pretty excited about this game because it reminds me of some of the good times I had in SWG (thank you SOE for that).  I watched like an hour of ArcheAge videos and I started seeing some of the same content over and over and thinking oh I already knew that.  Oh that is really cool we buy our horses as babies and they are so tiny and cute at first.  Then I thought 'gee I would really get a kick out of that if I found out in game instead of via a youtube video'.  Then I started thinking about SWG and what made me fall in love with it... A lot of the things were the 'wow' moments.  I knew very little before SWG came out.  I knew just enough to pre-order it.  I pretty much never watched any videos before playing it and I never read any hints/guides while playing it.  It really enhanced those 'wow' moments for me.

I wish I could convince myself to not read or learn anything about the next MMO I get excited about, but I doubt I have that kind of willpower.  We can hope that companies like SOE hold back information...

... But sadly I doubt SOE wiill release EQ3 without at least 6 months of heavy feature, content, video leaks.  They should really try to leave more for us to discover and wait longer to announce their games but they don't cuz they suck (even though I love some SOE games).

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514

Originally posted by Daranar

So, I for one am ready to go into a game fresh, figuring it all out as I go, discovering new adventures as I progress and not progressing to consume the content advertised.  This is why I am Hibernating Until EQ Next....I simply don't want to know everything about the game before it's released, I want to discover, explore and adventure.

So to you..Could escaping this pre-launch research era, in which we learn all the details before we play, change the way we approach new MMOs, and is it possible to even do in this corporate MMO world we live in?   And more importantly, do you think not being over-hyped and over informed could bring back that "magic spark" we once experienced in 1999?

Well, I personally enjoy learning the game's features ahead of time.  It doesn't affect my game experience, so long as I'm not seeing videos, etc., of all the world and bosses and whatnot  I tend to not watch gameplay videos much, other than to see the basic combat, etc., to know if it's a game I'd actually want to spend money on.

But, sadly, no, it's not really possible to go back to being clueless in a new MMO.  Sure, you can avoid looking stuff up on the internet, but between beta leaks and website guides, everyone else is going to know everything and probably spill the beans in the in-game chat constantly to each other.  So, unless you completely isolate yourself from all contact, spoilers will abound and everything will be known to the entire community within a short time-frame.

Originally posted by wormywyrm

I wish I could convince myself to not read or learn anything about the next MMO I get excited about, but I doubt I have that kind of willpower.  We can hope that companies like SOE hold back information...

... But sadly I doubt SOE wiill release EQ3 without at least 6 months of heavy feature, content, video leaks.  They should really try to leave more for us to discover and wait longer to announce their games but they don't cuz they suck (even though I love some SOE games).

There's almost zero chance of them keeping info on lockdown.  While it would be great, it's just not sensible from a business perspective.

The reason being, in the MMO market, you only get one real shot at a launch.  And, so, you need as big of a following before release as you can get.  The market is so flooded now, and so many games are constantly releasing, that you have to sell yourself and your features in a hype campaign.

Sure, we nostalgic EQ players are interested anyway, but the number of franchise-followers are nothing compared to the number of new players that can be reached and attracted through the marketing and hype and such.

• movindudemovindude Member UncommonPosts: 127
    I think you found what we are losing in the game world. We learn to much proir to release ruining the game experience. Good thoughts OP. cya in EQ3.....EQ1 will always be hard to top. I would play it again with AOC graphics with the old rules including death penalties and have to stay in the room for hours waiting to get a shot for sow  :  ) 
  • SengiSengi Member CommonPosts: 350

It really is a great thing that a major developer claims to do a sandbox game again. But as far as I know John Smedley has said the word sandbox only once. And we can't know how he understands it. And I know SOE has made steps in the  right direction. But remember, he's the guy who killed Star Wars Galaxies. So I have some hopes as to Everquest Next, but I only trust Jon Smedley when I see the sand in the box.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by Sengi

It really is a great thing that a major developer claims to do a sandbox game again. But as far as I know John Smedley has said the word sandbox only once. And we can't know how he understands it. And I know SOE has made steps in the  right direction. But remember, he's the guy who killed Star Wars Galaxies. So I have some hopes as to Everquest Next, but I only trust Jon Smedley when I see the sand in the box.

Well we should all find out more after "SOE Live 2013" Smedley has already stated that there will be an announcment and details there and not before.  I believe that this is the 1st to the 4th of August.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by craftseeker
    Originally posted by Sengi

Well we should all find out more after "SOE Live 2013" Smedley has already stated that there will be an announcment and details there and not before.  I believe that this is the 1st to the 4th of August.

I cant wait till august to be honost, i know full well i wont be able to last till release without atleast looking at some info on the game, i plan to look at some of the ones during SoE live vid but after that im going to try not to look at many after that. Try and keep as much as a surprise to me as i can.